News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Xenolith's Art

Started by Xenolith, August 17, 2009, 02:22:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xenolith

S'okay, I'm branching out a little.  I normally do cartoon work, but I'm trying to do some "iconic" '70s and '80s cover recreations for a gaming company, swapping out the mainstream characters for their own.  Without reading the name of the file, can you tell what cover this is a homage to?

Oh, and it is a work in progress, if you coldn't tell.  :)

Glitch Girl

I can see where you're headed with this.  I'm guessing the one on the far right is based on the Hulk.  I would make one suggestion: Can you move the two main figures over to the left a touch, centering them more?  To me the image feels compositionally heavy to the right whereas it feels your focus is on the punch which should be more center stage. 

Good luck. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Xenolith

The picture is a recreation of Hulk 181, which is the first appearance of Wolverine.  Yes, the Hulk in on the right, and Wolverine is flying through the air.  Wendiego is sitting on the bottom there doing nothing. 
I'm a little torn about moving the figures because it's supposed to be a recreation of the cover, and that's where they are.  I guess they had to make room for all the text ballons on that cover.  :)
If it were my own picture I'd rearrange things for sure, but under the circumstances I don't think I should.

Thanks for the comment.  :)

Xenolith

Finished Pencils.  I'll tighten everything up in ink.  Well, I need to fix one or two thing, like Thunderfists mouth, but that's not big deal.

Artemis

Very nice work! Hope to see more.

Is there going to be a dark phoenix cover-  tribute? There's a few iconic ones from that storyline.

Xenolith

That's actually a great idea.  I had been thinking about X-Men 137, but had not though about other iconic X-Men covers.  Good idea.  I did one for Amazing Spider-Man 298 last night, but I drew the Spider-Man substitute too small.  Gotta redraw it, but I'll post it soon.

Thanks.

Artemis

Can't wait, the idea is very interesting and your artwork really sells the concept!

Xenolith

Well, I don't like looking at Ink's stuff and then posting my shoddy work, but here goes:  Click for a larger view.

There are some things I don't like, but I like more than I don't like.  This is Scavenger and Tarantula from the Four Color Figures Universe.  If you like super hero miniature gaming, you should really check out the Super System game.  www.fourcolorfigs.com

Xenolith

#2 of my 3 drawings for fourcolorfigs.com.  This time we have Tekton, Thunderfist, and Agent Yeti standing in for Hulk, Wolverine, and Wendiego, respectively.  I hope you like this one.  I'll have the last one up Tuesday night if everything goes okay.

Xenolith

The third and final picture.  Lots of little things aren't clicking with me on this one, but drawing it was a great exercise.  I learned a lot from my mistakes.