News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Tommyboy's Mesh Release Thread V3.0

Started by tommyboy, January 24, 2009, 01:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

detourne_me

Good gravy, she's awesome!
I too would say just make an FFVTTR version....  Maybe release two if it's not too much work.
but wow!  you really are doing these characters so much justice!
The details are so spot on, and i really appreciate the extra effort you're putting into making their faces the right shape too.

JKCarrier

Quote from: tommyboy on March 19, 2009, 07:34:38 PMNext theres the stupid way the stupid alphas make the body beneath disappear at certain angles, which I cannot cure yet (and believe me, I've been trying).

I remember this coming up ages ago... I think someone figured out that the problem was having two alpha-enabled pieces overlapping. IIRC, Tom, you usually alpha-enable everything, right? So maybe if you removed the alpha property from her main body (and just left it on the dress), it wouldn't "flicker out?". :unsure:

tommyboy

Quote from: JKCarrier on March 20, 2009, 02:17:44 AM
Quote from: tommyboy on March 19, 2009, 07:34:38 PMNext theres the stupid way the stupid alphas make the body beneath disappear at certain angles, which I cannot cure yet (and believe me, I've been trying).

I remember this coming up ages ago... I think someone figured out that the problem was having two alpha-enabled pieces overlapping. IIRC, Tom, you usually alpha-enable everything, right? So maybe if you removed the alpha property from her main body (and just left it on the dress), it wouldn't "flicker out?". :unsure:

Yep, tried that. Tried no alpha on main body, tried alpha on main body. Tried various alpha settings on both main body and see through bits. The best I get is "see through with invisible body at certain angles".

tommyboy

OK I've got it sorted.
What you have to do is make the material beneath the see-through bit (in this case its female basic) have "2-sided" checked in shader basic parameters. I also turned off all alpha properties on female basic to be safe.
Now I can spin the view as much as I like and the parts beneath the see-through never disappear.

tommyboy

The "Gibbons tribute photo-skin" version:

I have made some changes to the mapping. I got sick and tired of the old female_basic mapping, so I remapped the head, and the feet, as you can see here;

It makes it easier to skin the head and neck smoothly, and her higher-than-normal-polycount head actually has sort-of-ears.
The main face area is identical to the traditional female_basic mapping, but the sides and rest of the head now are symmetrical, allowing for easier skinning.
The feet are re-mapped so you can skin either side asymmetrically, or skin toes properly.
Normally I'm a stickler for compatibility, but frankly, I think these changes worthwhile, and I'm 98% sure they are going to be my new female standard.

I'm still tinkering with the mesh to get it right, so it may be a few days yet.

Tame Fisher

Looking good, sir, and that remapping makes things a lot more convenient. Awesome.

Cyber Burn

Seriously an awesome skin Tom. You just keep getting better and better. The new mapping looks pretty interesting, will you be changing the mapping on your male basic meshes too?

tommyboy

Quote from: Cyber Burn on March 20, 2009, 11:18:25 PM
Seriously an awesome skin Tom. You just keep getting better and better. The new mapping looks pretty interesting, will you be changing the mapping on your male basic meshes too?

I may change the mapping of the feet in male_basic types, as I did with the shang-chi mesh, to allow asymmetrical foot skinning, for toes, or characters like Guardian from alpha flight. Other than the feet, I'm OK with the mapping of the male meshes. It was the female ones that really bugged me.

Vertex

ROFL wherever do you get these ideas Tommy?
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

tommyboy

Quote from: Vertex on March 20, 2009, 11:35:55 PM
ROFL wherever do you get these ideas Tommy?

Mostly from other people (like from you, amongst others).
I'm aware you've been doing something like this for a long time on your own meshes.
But I do try to keep things as close to the community's huge back catalogue of skins, keyframes etc as possible, which is why I've been resistant to changing mapping till now. Compatibility and interchangeability are one of my primary goals, and this is a step away from that.
I still want to try to keep as close to what's gone before as I can, to have compatibility if possible, but better mapping if not.

Tomato

One thing you can also do, if you're adjusting the mapping anyway, is to move the topmost vertecies of the head up a bit. It removes the irritating warp issue skinners have when they are dealing with Spider-man skins, and 80% of all skins have enough leeway at the top to avoid having to adjust the skins at all.

Carravaggio

Wow, Tommy, all these great Watchmen meshes are going to get me skinning again!
Do you have any plans for movie costume versions at all? Wouldn't really need to change anything on the Comedian, but I'd love to see a Night Owl or Ozymandias with his lil laurel/crown thing.
And I know its been a volatile question before on FR, but do you have plans for a Dr. Manhatten mesh? While I'm sure a male_basic would (almost) do the job, I'd be interested to see what extras you might incorporate into the kfs or the mesh itself.

Great meshes regardless, thanks for making them and letting us all play with them :)

cmdrkoenig67

Tommyboy has already made meshes of Nite Owl and Ozymandias (I don't know if he has the laurels, though)...

http://tommyboymeshes.freedomforceforever.com/DC%20meshes%20N-O.html

Carravaggio

I was more inquiring about movie versions of the same, I got the comic versions as soon as they were released, they're too good not to :)

tommyboy

Quote from: Carravaggio on March 22, 2009, 11:23:19 AM
I was more inquiring about movie versions of the same, I got the comic versions as soon as they were released, they're too good not to :)

Thanks.
I may mesh the movie versions at some point, but probably not till Ive actually seen it (and I haven't yet, and probably wont until the DVD comes out here in england).
The more astute amongst you may have noticed a nod to the movies in the comedian_tf. A no-prize to anyone who can name it.

tommyboy

Bam!
No preview, just a release!
Nobody saw that coming.
It's Supergirl_modern_tf, with a stellar standard skin by the inimitable Interceptor!
Interceptor's skin on the left, my effort (also included, no extra charge) on the right.

Also includes skope-able pleated skirt, but the smooth one shown looks better methinks.
Get her here:
http://tommyboymeshes.freedomforceforever.com/DC%20meshes%20S.html

...what? Watchmen? Yeah, she was totally in the watchmen, mostly in the backgrounds though....look, over there! its Malin Ackerman and Laura Vandervoort!  *runs away*

Xenolith

That new head sure does make a big difference.  I really like it.

tommyboy

Quote from: Xenolith on March 22, 2009, 01:25:48 PM
That new head sure does make a big difference.  I really like it.

Ta.
I like it too. My old female head was sort of scary close up..
Supergirl actually was made before I started Silk Spectre, so she still has mostly old-skool Female_basic mapping, except the errr...chestal... area which I tweaked to get the logo to look right.
And yes, at some point I plan to mesh earlier versions of the maid of steel with the appropriate clothes and hairstyles. 50's, 70's, 80's at the very least are planned.

detourne_me

Quote from: tommyboy on March 22, 2009, 11:30:39 AM
The more astute amongst you may have noticed a nod to the movies in the comedian_tf. A no-prize to anyone who can name it.
Spoiler
is it the smiley's on the gun handles?

Outcast

Nice Supergirl mesh there Tommy. Interceptor's skin compliments it very well.

It's good to know Interceptor is still making skins. :)

tommyboy

Quote from: detourne_me on March 22, 2009, 01:36:34 PM
Quote from: tommyboy on March 22, 2009, 11:30:39 AM
Spoiler
is it the smiley's on the gun handles?

We have a winner!
Spoiler

I actually put those on without knowing they were in the film version, and thought maybe it was too much. then I saw this:
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/watchmen-comedian-props-1.jpg
and thought it would be nifty to leave them on, as a nod to the film.
I doubt most people would ever notice them in game.
Well spotted.

detourne_me

I'm a sucker for no-prizes!  when i read your post i opened up ctool right away to play a little where's waldo?  :)

cmdrkoenig67

Amazing Super Girl mesh, Tom...I love the little details, like the belt, the individual hairs, it gives the mesh a whole new level of texture.

Nice work, man.

Dana

Figure Fan

Whoa..

I'll be on the look-out for that Silk Spectre mesh. It's awesome!

Podmark

That's some great work on Silk and Super-Girl, Tommy. I like what you're doing with their hair.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Xenolith

Hey Tommyboy,

I wanted to let you know that the Master of Kung Fu is a really fun mesh/skin to play around with.  I'm trying to pit him against Power Man I (another nice Tommyboy creation) to see if he can stay alive for more than a few seconds.  :)  Your work is much appreciated.

Sledgehammer

Tommy,

As usual, fantastic work. You never disappoint. And I thought the Comedian was awesome... Laurie looks so great, it's unbelievable.

Supergirl is excellent too. The extremely detailed hair is a very nice touch, I really dig it.

Keep it up! Can't wait to see your next creations.

BentonGrey

Tommy...darn you.  You know, I saw your Batman, and I wanted to hold off posting until I could provide some thoughtful feedback for you, but you just don't let up!  Next thing I know, there are all these incredibly awesome Watchmen meshes and skins.  Well, I give up!  I'll just post my general amazement about what you're accomplishing with these.  Rorschach, The Comedian, Silk Spectre....they are all just fantastic.  Rorschach especially just blows me away.  Also, I want you to know, I never understood what Laurie's costume WAS until I saw your version.  You actually brought it home to me that she's got some kind of swimsuit-esq thing under a sheer top.  I never got that before, so you really captured something, brought the character to 3d life.  I'm just blown away with these.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

tommyboy

Thanks for the kind words.
Silk Spectre is nearing completion but I am getting distracted by trying (again) to learn c++, and I've actually been getting more work in real life too, so it may be a week or so yet.

USAgent

Tommy, I don't know what you did to the mapping on your new Supergirl mesh but what ever you did to the chest area, you are my hero!  I have been trying and trying to skin straight lines on a regular female mesh's chest area and I finally gave up, but RMT directed me to use your Supergirl mesh for help in the chest department, and boy I am glad I did, you made skinning the chest area a whole lot easier!

Yeah, and the Watchmen are nuts good!