Tomato's Meshes: Mirror Mirror time again! (05/25/13)

Started by Tomato, March 16, 2009, 11:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

I blame Vertex and C6 for this absurdity >.>

Courtnall6

Dude....it was all Vertrex's idea...he...he made me go along with it!
Clothes make the man and colourful tights make the Super-Hero.

docdelorean88

One way or another i am truly impressed! Can't wait!
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

daglob

That part ALONE is pretty. Does the rest look that good?

Tomato

Quote from: daglob on March 17, 2009, 01:48:57 AM
That part ALONE is pretty. Does the rest look that good?

Maaaaybe. I don't know yet, this was as far as I got before I got distracted  :P.

Just to explain why this came about... I just re-downloaded C6's X-men pack 3 off of Ren's website this evening, along with all the meshes and such that go along with it. Well, I was looking through them, and Cyclops' visor just bugged me... No offense Vertex, but that visor is one of the few ugly blotches in your time as a mesher. And rather then rip the one Tommy did or use a more modern visor (the latter of which I'd done before) I decided to mesh/skin my own classic visor.

And then my own belt (complete with that freaky buckle he wore back in GSX #1).

And then I just finished the rest of the mesh.

And at that point, why not just reskin him from scratch.

Vertex

No offense taken, I made 7 visors and the cyclops that matrix released wasn't for release.
A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Well, I WAS just going to ask this in the chat, but SOMEONE changed the topic to post count just after I posted my image  :banghead:.

I'm trying to decide if my shadows (which are on a separate layer, as are highlights) are dark enough, or if I should adjust them a bit more. Meh.

Courtnall6

Looks really good so far. I'm not really a fan of the twin eyeglow...that's not "cyclops" to me.

Vertex

A wise man knows, he knows nothing
I must be the wisest man on Earth,
cause I don't know squat

Tomato

Quote from: Courtnall6 on March 17, 2009, 05:29:49 AM
Looks really good so far. I'm not really a fan of the twin eyeglow...that's not "cyclops" to me.

Well, I tried doing the one eyeglow (first kitbashing yours then with my own custom visor lens...) but it just didn't look right to me. But hey, it's an excuse for you to do a skin for the mesh, right?  :P

Oh, something interesting I remembered while chatting with the rest of the usual gang on FR's chat, This is actually the SECOND Cyclops mesh I've done  :wacko:. The first was done waaaaaay back in the dark ages of the FF community under another username. Fortunately, unlike most of my other work, it has survived in the dusty corners of FF mesh groups awaiting the day I could pull it out and show you all just how very bad it was.

daglob

"Classic" visor... [chuckle]

Bill, who bought X-Men #1 (the FIRST one) off the rack.

PS: Hey, I USE that Cyclops, as both Cyc and Man of the Atom.

miguelyanke

Blkcasanova247

I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

Tomato

Skinning from essentially scratch is such a load of fun.[/sarcasm]

Anyway, here's what I've been able to do today in between tv shows (Yes Prem, I did finish WatX finally. you can bug me after NCIS.)

docdelorean88

Looks great! I think this is one of the first things i have seen of yours posted on here. Looking great!
"Roads, Where we're going we don't need... Roads"

Podmark

I remember that old mesh, this new one is better. Good job.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

AfghanAnt

I really love the visor but the facial work makes Cyke look older than his years.

Tomato

Hmmm... It does look a little old for Scott, but I'm trying to emulate Cyclops' appearance when he got his new goggles in GSX #1. And Cockrum's style... it's a bit heavy handed on some of those facial details for Scott.

But what does everybody else think? Did I properly emulate the Cockrum look, or did I go a bit too far?

laughing paradox

I have to say, the skinning job on Cyclops so far is really impressive. I like what you did with the costume, with the black shading and the blue/white highlights. I'm looking forward to seeing the final results.

I didn't even notice Cyke looking older until it was pointed out, but it still doesn't look out of place to me. Maybe if he didn't scowl and had more of a grimace? Like a straight-line mouth?

detourne_me

i totally dig it.  I've always loved your vibrant colours, and the stylishness of the visor is great!  so smooth.

doctorchallenger

Scott is such a serious character that he would have frown lines even if he was 12. Looks good to me so far.

herodad1

yeah, keep the grim serious look.like the double red eye too.i mean...yeah, he does have two red eyes.

Courtnall6

Quote from: herodad1 on March 18, 2009, 11:52:28 PM
yeah, keep the grim serious look.like the double red eye too.i mean...yeah, he does have two red eyes.

Not while wearing his visor. Single eyeglow....hence the name Cyclops.

Tomato

I understand where you're coming from Court, but it's generally a matter of opinion in the comics... sometimes artists will draw twin glows, sometimes the one. Personally, I just like the look of the twin glow on my skin, makes it feel a bit more balanced. You're more then welcome to do your own version (mine started out as a kittbash of your work anyway, heh) when it comes out... heck, I'll send you the mesh now, if you want to skin it.

Courtnall6

Quote from: Tomato on March 19, 2009, 02:13:29 PM
I understand where you're coming from Court, but it's generally a matter of opinion in the comics... sometimes artists will draw twin glows, sometimes the one. Personally, I just like the look of the twin glow on my skin, makes it feel a bit more balanced. You're more then welcome to do your own version (mine started out as a kittbash of your work anyway, heh) when it comes out... heck, I'll send you the mesh now, if you want to skin it.

Modern artists are the problem sadly...I guess they thought Kirby, Cockrum, and Byrne were doing it wrong all that time. "What? Draw Cyclops on model??? Nah...those crazy old farts didn't know what they were doing!" :P

Anywho...getting off track here...back to Tomato's fine new mesh!

I will definetly skin your mesh once it's realesed...Cyclops is a favorite of mine. :cool:

Tomato

Finished the Black/Blue areas, finally  :banghead:.

The major issue, as it typically seems to be for me, is the back of the upper torso, seen in the second pic. See, I know generally where shading goes on the arms, the face, the legs, the chest, the hands, and all that... but the back absolutely stumps me. I've looked at bodybuilders, I've looked at comic books, other bases... but it's just one gigantic brain fart. And with Cyclops' back... well, normally I give up on that area in disgust, but this time I'm at least content with the look.

Tomato

Aaaaaand Done. Should have this guy zipped up and in a yahoo group or somesuch by sometime tomorrow, depending on when I can tear myself away from my Vidjamagames to bother writing a readme file.

For those wondering about the website, it's not going to be up for very much longer. I have all my files from there backed up already, so don't freak out because you can't get Sylar (or whatever other character on my site was actually worth the time to download). I just don't feel like paying for a .com anymore due to my having to pay for, y'know, food  :P.

But anyway, as far as future projects... Aside from Fighter (who is temporarily benched because I still haven't learned to animate, heh.) I have one or two in mind, depending on how much time I have between schoolwork. The next one might take some time though, it's a bit of a Colossal project ;).

tommyboy

He looks very nice.
Good to see you back meshing for FF/v3r.
I still have your old meshes back when you were who you were back then. Including the old Cyclops.
It's a shame that someone superglued Scott's hand to the side of his head as a joke though  :P

detourne_me

Quote from: Tomato on March 22, 2009, 06:07:13 AM
For those wondering about the website, it's not going to be up for very much longer. I have all my files from there backed up already, so don't freak out because you can't get Sylar (or whatever other character on my site was actually worth the time to download). I just don't feel like paying for a .com anymore due to my having to pay for, y'know, food  :P.

But anyway, as far as future projects... Aside from Fighter (who is temporarily benched because I still haven't learned to animate, heh.) I have one or two in mind, depending on how much time I have between schoolwork. The next one might take some time though, it's a bit of a Colossal project ;).

Yes! he looks great, And seriously Tomato, you know your originals kick butt too.  I love Red Ant (and actually i skope his glasss onto other meshes a lot too hahah)
and, well I'm kinda glad that you're shutting down the influx website,  since for some reason i could never access it from korea (I had to wait till last summer when i went back to canada to grab all your originals and sylar!)

also, a Colossal project eh? looking forward to it. Удачи!