AfghanAnt Artistic Advances 7/8/16 - Marvel Adventures Exclusives

Started by AfghanAnt, January 11, 2009, 02:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gremlin

Holy spit that's amazing. I approve so hardcore of this.

Also, I echo Benton's question about their origins...I've always thought Blackbird would be really interesting (former cat burglar turned superhero? Tell me that doesn't make for good drama) if she was fleshed out.

Outcast

I like origin stories. Awesome idea for a Mod. ^_^

No love for SuperCollider and the Bard? :P

UnkoMan

Wow! These look great! As always, your facial work is outstanding!

Delving into Blackbird, eh? I've always really liked her. In fact, at one point I had my own idea for a sort of origins mod, and was working on a number of rogues' gallery characters for her. Quite fun! I love original characters in the Irrational universe.

BentonGrey

Quote from: AfghanAnt on February 28, 2010, 10:15:34 PM
We should talk...

And thanks everyone!
My office...err...PM box is always open. :D  I'd love to hear what's going on behind the scenes.  There is little that I like more than tossing around story ideas.

Quote from: Outcast on March 01, 2010, 06:15:06 AM

You know, The Bard's PCTales arc was originally going to be his origin in terms of Freedom Force (you can still SORT of read it that way....if you squint just right....) but I got lazy and just took the easy way out.  One of these days I may go back and revise it to make it serve that function....
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

yell0w_lantern

Very nice stuff. I've always had a fondness for Iron Ox and Blackbird.
A potential problem is that the style of these is much more modern than 1960s superheroes. I think part of it is the blending of colors and less use of black outlines. Bolder colors with more contrast between colors would evoke the look of pre-digital comic coloring.

Atomic Robot's work is probably my prime example of a 1960s style.

Don't get me wrong, you made some gorgeous skins and if you're going for the stories (and not the art too) being in a 1960s style then just disregard what I wrote.

Here's something else, how about blackbird with wings? I kitbashed the IG skin to Beyonder's fb_wings and it's a nice effect.
Yellow Lantern smash!

Previsionary

Super Collider was in PCTales (2 missions at least), too; I (we) just never got around to actually coding (/ezscripting) the mission due to burnout (time issues). I'm just sayin'.... :P

PCTales fer life, y'all. It'll eat your face off and spit on your grave!
Disappear when you least expe--

BentonGrey

I may still get to that underwater one with him someday....
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Gremlin on March 01, 2010, 05:40:23 AM
Holy spit that's amazing. I approve so hardcore of this.

Also, I echo Benton's question about their origins...I've always thought Blackbird would be really interesting (former cat burglar turned superhero? Tell me that doesn't make for good drama) if she was fleshed out.

Yeah, me too. I've always hated how little effort they put into her and Iron Ox. I mean look at Iron Ox, his costume screams Chelsea Leather Daddy.

Quote from: Outcast on March 01, 2010, 06:15:06 AM

I have ideas about SuperCollider for the mod but nothing solid. I'm still hammering out plotting.
As for the Bard *runs to character tool to look at him*...I don't know what to make of him. His origin and powerset are goofy and the only logical step for me to take him is to be a tragic hero of some sort .

Quote from: UnkoMan on March 01, 2010, 05:07:34 PM
Wow! These look great! As always, your facial work is outstanding!

Delving into Blackbird, eh? I've always really liked her. In fact, at one point I had my own idea for a sort of origins mod, and was working on a number of rogues' gallery characters for her. Quite fun! I love original characters in the Irrational universe.

Dude! If you are interested we could talk further on this matter.

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on March 01, 2010, 05:33:18 PM
Very nice stuff. I've always had a fondness for Iron Ox and Blackbird.
A potential problem is that the style of these is much more modern than 1960s superheroes. I think part of it is the blending of colors and less use of black outlines. Bolder colors with more contrast between colors would evoke the look of pre-digital comic coloring.

Atomic Robot's work is probably my prime example of a 1960s style.

Don't get me wrong, you made some gorgeous skins and if you're going for the stories (and not the art too) being in a 1960s style then just disregard what I wrote.

Here's something else, how about blackbird with wings? I kitbashed the IG skin to Beyonder's fb_wings and it's a nice effect.

Not 1960's style - just taking place after :ffvstr: so late 1960s. I didn't add wings because it went too far away from the original character.

Quote from: Previsionary on March 02, 2010, 12:17:37 AM
Super Collider was in PCTales (2 missions at least), too; I (we) just never got around to actually coding (/ezscripting) the mission due to burnout (time issues). I'm just sayin'.... :P

PCTales fer life, y'all. It'll eat your face off and spit on your grave!
Uhmmm I should probably play PCTales. If nothing but to respect continuity.

BentonGrey

Your working on ideas for Supercollider?  Dang, PM away!
God Bless

area34

Why go tragic with the Bard? I think you could just embrace the goofy, push it past the point of no return. Go the Nextwave route with him.

Previsionary

Does anyone actually remember the write up written for The Bard from the contest winner? Is that something I just imagined? Anyway, I think the tragic route would be interesting to see considering his Shakespearean inspirations.

BentonGrey

Personally, I love the Bard the way he is unrepentantly.  I think he's quite awesome, and I had a blast writing him in PCT...though it nearly killed me.   :P
God Bless

area34

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Machine Man in Nextwave was goofy as hell but you always had the undertones at the same time.

laughing paradox

Quote from: Previsionary on March 02, 2010, 10:52:59 PM
Does anyone actually remember the write up written for The Bard from the contest winner? Is that something I just imagined? Anyway, I think the tragic route would be interesting to see considering his Shakespearean inspirations.

But they are always doomed to be murdered in some ironic way. :(

Iron Ox = Sick

AfghanAnt

Exactly my thoughts!

Quote from: BentonGrey on March 02, 2010, 10:58:29 PM
Personally, I love the Bard the way he is unrepentantly.  I think he's quite awesome, and I had a blast writing him in PCT...though it nearly killed me.   :P
Damn you - I'm going to be so distracting play PTC, I'll lose my creative juices.

Quote from: area34 on March 02, 2010, 11:00:04 PM
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Machine Man in Nextwave was goofy as hell but you always had the undertones at the same time.

When I say tragic I mean Shakespearean tragedy tragic. Like all his goofy heroic gets his sister killed after it's revealed she is actually his mother and he drowns himself in Sea Urchin's bubbles. Dark.

Quote from: laughing paradox on March 02, 2010, 11:00:45 PM

But they are always doomed to be murdered in some ironic way. :(

Iron Ox = Sick

OH NO! Iron Ox is amazingly cool. Though I would never want to meet him in a dark alley behind a disco.

It is so funny, I wanted to do something 1960's non-nonsensical and now I'm plotting tragic deaths. Either way I want pure wide-screen action and high concept mayhem!

Gremlin

Quote from: AfghanAnt on March 03, 2010, 12:09:33 AM
Quote from: area34 on March 02, 2010, 11:00:04 PM

When I say tragic I mean Shakespearean tragedy tragic. Like all his goofy heroic gets his sister killed after it's revealed she is actually his mother and he drowns himself in Sea Urchin's bubbles. Dark.

You are now imagining the Bard living through Titus Andronicus.

lugaru

GREAT PROJECT!

Reminds me of that 1970's and 1980's project I started on once:

70's blackbird

Grown up Sea Urchin

AfghanAnt

Quote from: lugaru on March 03, 2010, 05:58:35 AM
GREAT PROJECT!

Reminds me of that 1970's and 1980's project I started on once:

70's blackbird

Grown up Sea Urchin

Very funky.

daglob

Somewhere I picked up a Blackbird skin for Female Basic Wings or something like that... I wonder where it went...

yell0w_lantern

Check my 2nd yahoo group for that skin, Daglob.

I had wanted to do 1970s versions of all the characters but ran out of design ideas after giving Order an anfro and giant boot cuffs...

I thought that Iron Ox looked more like he had metal plates instead of leather. How about a Colossus-style metal form?
Yellow Lantern smash!

AfghanAnt

Done quicky but it is still causing me keyframes headache. I was originally going to redesign him but decided to just skin the costume I liked. I've done a Swift (redesign) and Engineer (redesign). I'll probably end up doing Jenny Spark, Jenny Quantum (I refuse Quarx as a last name) and the Doctor (Habib).

Podmark

That's a great face, lots of character in it.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Bloodshadow

Love it :thumbup:
I like how his eyes look,very cool! :cool:

detourne_me

I'm so happy you're redesigning the rest of the team!

AfghanAnt

Previsionary

Lol, AA. That's awesome. Can I borrow some of your creativity sometime? You seem to have it in spades. I'm especially impressed by Arcanhiss. Do all her arms function (akin to Spiral)?

Actually, looking at Arcanhiss, something looks weird about her thigh. Is it the angle or what?

Blkcasanova247

Beautiful work on all three skins. :thumbup:
I can't help it that I look so good baby! I'm just a love machine!

tommyboy

*Pops in thread for periodic praise of AA*
Niiiice...

Gremlin

Whoa, that is awesome. I'd suggest moving the top pair of her arms a little below her armpits, since right now they kind of look pretty functionless, but the rest of it is amazing.

Also, STORY ON MACROWAVE PLZ. Cyborg? Alternate timeline? Post-op Microwave after he resolves the crisis of his gender identity? Inquiring minds want to know!

...actually the idea of a robot who is built to look like a dude but identifies as a woman or vice versa is an awesome idea. brb writan'.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: Previsionary on March 09, 2010, 03:26:08 AM
Lol, AA. That's awesome. Can I borrow some of your creativity sometime? You seem to have it in spades. I'm especially impressed by Arcanhiss. Do all her arms function (akin to Spiral)?

Actually, looking at Arcanhiss, something looks weird about her thigh. Is it the angle or what?
Can I borrow some of your dialog and coding talent? :) Yes, her arms do move ala Spiral.

I think it is the angle.

Quote from: Blkcasanova247 on March 09, 2010, 04:58:10 AM
Beautiful work on all three skins. :thumbup:
Thanks!

Quote from: tommyboy on March 09, 2010, 09:58:12 AM
*Pops in thread for periodic praise of AA*
Niiiice...
Danke!

Quote from: Gremlin on March 09, 2010, 04:55:06 PM
Whoa, that is awesome. I'd suggest moving the top pair of her arms a little below her armpits, since right now they kind of look pretty functionless, but the rest of it is amazing.

Also, STORY ON MACROWAVE PLZ. Cyborg? Alternate timeline? Post-op Microwave after he resolves the crisis of his gender identity? Inquiring minds want to know!

...actually the idea of a robot who is built to look like a dude but identifies as a woman or vice versa is an awesome idea. brb writan'.
Unfortunately I can't move her arms. Bearded/Ink did this mesh together and that's how they built her.

While I dont want to drop any details on Secret Origins (which I need to get refocused on) I will say her basic design was inspired by Irrational's Million Dollar Man makeover for Microwave and the default Action Girl mesh skin from  :ffvstr:.