Power questions for some characters I want to make.

Started by lugaru, January 05, 2010, 05:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

So there are a few characters I want to make in CO but I'm not sure if the powers are represented. What would be the best way to set up these dudes?

Goo: From Liberty Bay, I can do an "ultimate" version of his costume just fine but his powers are a bit more trouble. For those who dont know his body turns into this purple rubber goo which allows him to bounce around, throw hard goo jimmies, blind oponents and stick oponents to the ground.
Now I know some of those powers are represented under magic and some under ice...

Doc Obsidian: A city of heroes character of mine, basically an oldschool hero with earth control powers. Now here I think I might have a chance... can I set the ICE powers to black? That way he can give himself "obsidian" armor, encase foes and do other cool tricks. The idea is that he is an alchemist/scientist and oldschool hero who is back in the game.

BentonGrey

Lugaru, if you make Goo, we TOTALLY have to team him and The Rogue or Ulysses up! :D  I wonder if anyone has made Doc Astounding or any of the others.  I've got Blue Guardian as well.  You can change the colors of powers pretty well, and I THINK that you should be able to set the ice to black.  I'm not sure about some of Goos stuff, but the bouncing part can probably be represented with acrobatics.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

GhostMachine

You cannot color powers black (or white, either, for that matter) with the sliders, sadly. You'd have to settle for dark blue or dark purple for Doc Obsidian's powers. I believe they've said that they *may* allow you to color powers black or white eventually, though.

Incidentally, Fire Flight is good for representing any type of flying with an aura, if you ever need to make one; I have a hero who is ice/electric and gave him that travel power recolored to match the colors of ice because Ice Slide kind of sucks. (No hover while afk capability, for one thing)

Was not thrilled at all with the Acrobatics power. I've heard its worth it when you can make it level 2, but at level 1 its just awful. Have a werewolf-looking hero who had it for a while, and I retconned him into Flight instead. (He's mostly supernatural and sorcery, so it fits) My recommendation would be to take Super Speed on Goo, then retcon him into Acrobatics at lvl 20, which is when you can make it level 2.

BentonGrey

Yeah, acro can certainly be a real pain for the first bit.  When you get level 2 it is a lot more manageable, though.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Valandar

The other advantage of Acro is the advantage you can get on it where every time you take damage, you get faster - great for in-battle mobility, since it effectively cancels out the bit about combat reverting you to the lowest level of a movement power.
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

No, I am NOT accepting suggestions or requests at this time.

Alaric

Quote from: Valandar on January 05, 2010, 10:35:07 PM
The other advantage of Acro is the advantage you can get on it where every time you take damage, you get faster - great for in-battle mobility, since it effectively cancels out the bit about combat reverting you to the lowest level of a movement power.

Yep. Acrobatics with that advantage is a useful combat power- and lots of fun to use in combat.

Personally, I love acrobatics- it's just fun. It's probably one of my favorite three or four travel powers in the game. But then, things like "concept", "fun", and visual effects are always more important to me than how useful or easy to use a power is...
Fear the "A"!!!

GhostMachine

Quote from: Alaric on January 06, 2010, 12:54:24 AM
Quote from: Valandar on January 05, 2010, 10:35:07 PM

Yep. Acrobatics with that advantage is a useful combat power- and lots of fun to use in combat.

Personally, I love acrobatics- it's just fun. It's probably one of my favorite three or four travel powers in the game. But then, things like "concept", "fun", and visual effects are always more important to me than how useful or easy to use a power is...

Acrobatics is useful as a combat power with the advantage, yes. But at lvl 1 its the worst travel power in the game.

lugaru

I was thinking of super jump as a travel ability but I will weight the pros and cons with acro... my own Goo builds in Freedom Force used super jumping.

Nice to see some bonus talk about representing powers... I love the way they set up the system but they could use a couple more power sets... hope to see more in the future to give out more options. Examples:

Melee: blades are cool but I wish you could "switch" the swords for axes, maces and other weapons even if they all work the same.

Shape shifting: a self buffing one allowing stealth, replicating foes, giving yourself "parts" such as claws and wings and so on... Think Skrulls, Prototype or even symbiote costumes.

Alaric

Quote from: lugaru on January 06, 2010, 06:49:23 AM
Melee: blades are cool but I wish you could "switch" the swords for axes, maces and other weapons even if they all work the same.

Actually, you can. In the character creator or tailor, if your character has powers which use weapons such as swords or guns, there's a weapon tab which will allow you to choose a different weapon, and even recolor it. Unfortunately, you can't see what the weapon looks like until you use it. However, you can, for example, choose a mace in place of a "single blade" sword.
Fear the "A"!!!

lugaru

I was hoping that was the case but thought it was unlikely, very glad to see I was wrong. Might make a weapon wielding hero with one of my extra slots... I would love to do an Ares style hero with melee and ranged weapons, I like that mix of ancient and modern weaponry.

GhostMachine

There are also some power replacers that will give you new weapon appearances - most of them you equip and they'll add the appearance to the tailor, so you can just equip it, unequip it if it doesnt have stats you need, then go change the weapon's look at the tailor. Sadly, there are no new looks for the Fighting Claws powerset or the Gatling Gun and Rocket weapons from the Munitions powerset from power replacers. Some replacers will work with more than one weapon; for instance, the Western Rifle works with both Assault Rifles and the Shotgun, if I remember right, and I believe there's at least one that works with both Assault Rifles and Submachine Guns.

Check this thread out:

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=69342

(Oh, and if I remember right, the Pistols power replacers will also change the look of the Sonic Blaster from Gadgeteering)

Valandar

They need Power Replacers for the various Force powers that look like force constructs - the one that immobilizes an enemy would look like a giant hand grabbing them, the default energy builder would look like a barrage of boxing gloves, the ranged AOE would look like a giant force anvil dropping on the baddies, etcetera.
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. ...All right, hand me the bomb."  - Ultra Magnus

lugaru

Yeah, force replacers would rule.

I'm also really missing stuff like nunchuks, tonfas or batons. I really want a dual tonfa wielding character beating up foes.

Valandar

Quote from: GhostMachine on January 06, 2010, 11:32:02 AMSadly, there are no new looks for the Fighting Claws powerset or the Gatling Gun and Rocket weapons from the Munitions powerset from power replacers.

However, the Gatling gun DOES have several versions extant at the tailor - the "standard" gatling gun, an M2 .50 cal, etcetera etcetera.

Xenolith

Hmm...I just read over the newest patch notes and I think it might be time to return to CO.  Especially since they are soon to launch a new zone.

BentonGrey

A new zone?  Cool.  A new zone set on the Gulf Coast?  UNBELIEVABLY awesome! :D
God Bless

Alaric

My understanding from dev posts in the official forums is that the new zone will be released as a paid expansion;
Quote from: Daeke
I'll cut off this speculation before it even begins. Vibora will be our first paid content expansion. I can't talk pricing yet, but it will not be something on the scale of a full boxed game. It is a new zone, and will be priced accordingly.

http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?p=1447669#post1447669
Fear the "A"!!!

BentonGrey

God Bless

RTTingle

Wow.

Just... wow.

Not even a year and already -- a PAID expansion?  I'm so glad I'm not one of the poor saps who bought a lifetime subscription.  Wow... they must be po'ed.

Good thing I was able to play in beta and decided then it just wasn't the game for me.

RTT

lugaru

Quote from: RTTingle on January 29, 2010, 06:16:31 AM
Wow.

Just... wow.

Not even a year and already -- a PAID expansion?  I'm so glad I'm not one of the poor saps who bought a lifetime subscription.  Wow... they must be po'ed.

Good thing I was able to play in beta and decided then it just wasn't the game for me.

RTT

Yeah, I got the game for less than a months cost thanks to steam, with a month of play included. Honestly I only buy add-ons if they add on a game worth of content OR if they are about $5 - $10 bucks.

if this costs on top of the monthly dues... well... I'll just explore the regular world until it gets old and cancel.