SP or DC/Justice League mods for COH?

Started by freegentile, March 27, 2009, 02:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freegentile

I'm a big fan of Battlefield 2 & its mods for this reason...single player functionality. But I also recently discovered FF & FFVTTR & really enjoy them & their DC mods. Looks like COH is the next logical step. Any info on how I can do SP on COH or load in DC mods is greatly appreciated.

BlueBard

Quote from: freegentile on March 27, 2009, 02:41:45 PM
I'm a big fan of Battlefield 2 & its mods for this reason...single player functionality. But I also recently discovered FF & FFVTTR & really enjoy them & their DC mods. Looks like COH is the next logical step. Any info on how I can do SP on COH or load in DC mods is greatly appreciated.

First, CoH is by nature an MMO.  The closest you're going to get to single player is running missions solo.  But you still have to connect to their servers to play.

CoH is moddable only in the following ways:

- You can change the local graphics files on your computer (if you know what you're doing), but everyone else will see the standard graphics unless they make the same changes.  You can't alter meshes or anything else that's online.

- CoH has a pretty powerful 'costume editor'.  However, you can only superficially duplicate costumes of copyrighted characters and trying to give them the same names is a violation of the ToS.  And the costume editor is only officially available online.

- CoH will soon have the ability to use player-created missions (story arcs) and custom-built NPC characters.  This is subject to the constraints I've already mentioned.  It's all online and you can't upload artwork.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

AncientSpirit

The other thing you should know is that City of Heroes takes copyright violations extremely seriously and will make your characters "generic", stripping them of their names and/or costumes if either is too close or derivitive of the copyrighted source.

It also has a legion of players who will report those infractions whether the Devs see them or not. 

BlueBard mentions that CoH will soon have the ability for you to  make your own custom missions.   While you might be able to enjoy yourself in these missions before publishing them to the live servers (before publishing, only you would have access to them) ... once they go live, they would be held to the same scrutiny, reporting, etc.

So, officially, there is no way to mod copyrighted characters on CoH.   (Of course some people seem to get away with it all the way to the top level, 50.  Others are caught right out of the box.   Your smileage may vary.)
AncientSpirit
Plotter and Writer of ... The Legendary (and by that I mean LONG FORGOTTEN) Fantastic Force!!!!

freegentile

Understood. Thank you very much for your guidance & quick replies!