News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Cyber's FX Thread

Started by Cyber Burn, March 18, 2012, 02:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amazo Version 2.2

hook me up. i'd love to get a preview of what you have.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

SickAlice

My two cents, has the feel of the character > accurate to the comic. Since the game is a different medium, like movies or animation trying to do exactly what's on paper won't always translate in this case to 3d space and game movement. It's better (again IMO) to focus more on what really speaks for the character than trying to make a duplicate of what's in a 2-dimensional line drawing. Basically like making a movie, it is important to make note of the source material but only second to trying to just make good art itself.

Cyber Burn

The bad part is, I haven't read anything with the Joker in a looong time, so I didn't have a visual reference when creating these. Even doing a Google Image search let me down.

And, like I said, don't worry about offending me, I would rather have honest feedback so I can make improvements. I am always open to suggestions.

SickAlice

No prob. Probably need an extra day though. My allergies are pretty unforgiving today, feels like someone poured a bag of sand into my face. I want to be able to see straight when I look at them. I'm more confident that I'll check them out and find you did an awesome job like you did everything else so far. Trust me I know how easy it is to scrutinize your own stuff down to the letter. The only time I actually liked part of anything I ever released was when I wasn't one that made that part. But mind everything is also subject to the Looking Glass.

Cyber Burn

I can completely relate to the allergies issue, and depending on what's affecting my allergies, I also have to worry about my asthma getting triggered as well.

As for the FX, take your time, I have quite a bit of course work to do between now and Saturday, so I most likely won't do very much FF related stuff until then.

SickAlice

Seems like the asthma and allergies are usually a package deal. I'm pretty sure its mold for me right now since every things airtight for winter.

Used the FX, everything looks and sounds perfect. Not really anything to note here. I read you wrong before when you said you couldn't find examples, now I get it though. Joker in DOTF was rarely shown using any FX types is why there's no examples, just that he had accessories on hand should he choose to use them so there really wasn't a wrong way to go with this one. Off hand I only recall him 1.) Fighting and being above his norm in h2h 2.) using a ball peen hammer and pipe wrench 3.) using the usual green joker gas 4.) He tossed out some clattering gag teeth at some point, I think they wrapped a tangle line around Batman. All of mine were pink but I messed up and installed them in the main directory where I'm supposed to put the nifs and textures in my FFX directory (I seriously always forget this). Else they line up with his in hand gear exactly.

Cyber Burn

Cool, I'm glad you like them. I have to admit, I was a bit worried about the Nail Gun FX's and the Gas Grenade. The Nails took some re-sizing to make them visible, so I was worried that they may look too big. With the Gas Grenade, the purple laughter on the end of the FX seemed too light, I think I still want to darken it up a bit.

Amazo Version 2.2

there are a lot of fx here  :D, i didn't realize you had so many. i haven't had time to give most of these as good of a look as i want to, but i like what i'm seeing so far. from what i'm seening, i'd say to check electro's transitions from start to core to end. i think it's more visable on the projectile fx's. maybe check the settings for where the melee fx's go. the super breath fx may need a color check for what you're going for, but are good otherwise. you already mentioned the joker's gas fx, so i won't repeat it. i'll check more out when i can, and give another report.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Cyber Burn

Much appreciated Robot. I'll try to get back to Electro's FX this weekend, see if I can clean them up, I may need to just start over though in order to give them a better flow. I really want a better contrast between the Green and Purple on the Joker's Gas Grenade, but I'm having trouble figuring that one out.

Quote from: SickAlice on January 15, 2015, 05:59:18 PM
4.) He tossed out some clattering gag teeth at some point, I think they wrapped a tangle line around Batman.

That actually sounds kind of cool, starting to feel a little burnt out though, but I may have to keep this in mind for later.

My first attempt at a Fireball FX for Mario failed...much worse than I had expected it to. Fortunately, I still have a few more ideas to try.

SickAlice

I think you think should pass on the teeth thing personally. It impresses me as something that looks good on paper (actually it looked pretty hokey there too) but would translate poorly to game. A ground based teeth that acts like a proximity mine may look okay in 3d space though. As far as Mario that still means your further along than the rest of us. Like I said I would just fake the look (doesn't actually ricochet, just spins and moves up and down a little).

Cyber Burn

Quote from: SickAlice on January 17, 2015, 05:29:59 PM
As far as Mario that still means your further along than the rest of us. Like I said I would just fake the look (doesn't actually ricochet, just spins and moves up and down a little).

Getting the spin on the Fireball was actually fairly simple, the big issue will be getting it to look like it's moving up and down. I feel like a bonehead here though, I really just over complicated things with my first attempt, so I think it was pretty doomed to begin with. I still have a few more ideas to try though, hopefully one of them will work.

SickAlice

Personally I would be okay with a fireball that does whatever. I just use a generic one from Irrational as it is. I know someone else requested otherwise, though to me adding bouncing to it sounded like it would just muck it anyways. Though I'm not competent enough when it comes to FX to say otherwise. My earlier opinion always stands and here as well: As long as looks good in game, even if it doesn't match the source material.

Amazo Version 2.2

i looked at all 3 of your mario fireballs over the weekend. like you said, your first version i don't think would have worked, even if you were able to get the animated textures working. the 2nd version was kind of amusing, but i don't think it quite worked right. the 3rd version, the straight up spinning fireball is probably going to be your best bet. i'd say to go with that for the final version. i haven't had a chance to look at the new superman fx yet, but i'll try soon. the shield fx weren't bad, but i would consider switching out the end to something more simple, but that's just my opinion.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: SickAlice on January 18, 2015, 05:22:55 AM
Personally I would be okay with a fireball that does whatever. I just use a generic one from Irrational as it is. I know someone else requested otherwise, though to me adding bouncing to it sounded like it would just muck it anyways. Though I'm not competent enough when it comes to FX to say otherwise. My earlier opinion always stands and here as well: As long as looks good in game, even if it doesn't match the source material.

With my current Skill Level being what it is, I don't think that there is any way that I could match the source material on this. I currently have a Spinning Fireball that doesn't look too bad, so I just need to get a satisfactory Start and End to this. (Though I am thinking of adding a flaming effect to the Fireball, just to see what it looks like.  :D)

Quote from: Amazo Version 2.2 on January 21, 2015, 03:22:43 PM
i looked at all 3 of your mario fireballs over the weekend. like you said, your first version i don't think would have worked, even if you were able to get the animated textures working. the 2nd version was kind of amusing, but i don't think it quite worked right. the 3rd version, the straight up spinning fireball is probably going to be your best bet. i'd say to go with that for the final version. i haven't had a chance to look at the new superman fx yet, but i'll try soon. the shield fx weren't bad, but i would consider switching out the end to something more simple, but that's just my opinion.

As long as it's your honest opinion, I am glad to have it. I had based the End Nifs on the one that came with Renegade's Shield Throw FX's (I think), but I'll take another look at them. As for the Fireball, I think V2 was going to be as close as I could get to a bounce, but I just really wasn't happy with it. V3 is probably going to be the one that I go with here. Thanks for taking the time to go through these, it is definitely appreciated.  :thumbup:

Cyber Burn

So I have a somewhat working Fireball for Mario. I started with Gren's "Spinning Axe" FX, then imported a Fireball from SickAlice, and added flames from Irrational's Centurion's "Flaming Spear" FX. I adjusted the spin and relocated the flames, but as much as I wanted, there was no way to get a "Bounce" effect that actually looked good.

I tried getting a video, but I couldn't get it to work right. While I'm pleased with the Fireball itself, I'm not sure I'm happy with it as a "Mario Fireball". Would anyone be willing to be a guinea pig for me by checking this out in game and providing some feedback?

spydermann93

Lookin' good, Cyber! :thumbup:

If you send it to me, I can most likely test it out, tomorrow :)

Cyber Burn

You have mail Spyder, thank you!  :thumbup:

windblown

Can I have it too? from the pictures I'd say it looks good.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: windblown on February 01, 2015, 01:13:21 AM
Can I have it too? from the pictures I'd say it looks good.

Thank you WindBlown, I just hope the actual FX lives up to that. You have mail as well.

BentonGrey

Hey CB, sorry I've missed out on all this great work you've been doing.  Your FX are looking great man!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

Thank you Benton, I needed to take a break from some of the other ones that I was working on, they weren't turning out how I wanted, and I was getting a bit frustrated.

So I am currently working on some FX for SickAlice's Retro Characters, with this being the basic list:

Mario

FireBall
IceBall
Green Shell
Big Fist
MegaVitamins

Bowser

Bullet Bill
Thwomp
Hammer Throw
Roar

Princesses

Various Weapons
Various Vegetables

Yoshi

Yoshi Egg

Hammer/Boomerang Brothers

Hammer
Boomerang

Donkey Kong

Banana Peel
Hammer
Barrel

These will be done in no particular order, mainly I'll work on these as I have free time. So far, I currently have a Fire Ball, Ice Ball, and Green Turtle Shell for Mario, and the Yoshi Egg, and Bullet Bill are currently in progress. Unfortunately, though, Bullet Bill is giving me some grief in the Mapping department, not a major issue, but my OCD may make me start over from scratch.

For those that I sent the Mario Fire Ball to, whatever feedback you have would be awesome. Let me know if you think it's releasable.

Cyber Burn

:charonwow

I'm just going to say that WindBlown is the Jedi Master of NifSkope.  :D

SickAlice

Looks great but I have confidence in you. And WB totally is.

Cyber Burn

Thanks to WindBlown's instructions, we now have a bouncing FireBall for Mario, and as soon as I modify it a little further, we will have a bouncing IceBall too!  :thumbup:

spydermann93

BentonGrey

Hey CB, where do you have your FX uploaded?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Cyber Burn

Anything that was ready to be released has been sent to Alex for a possible inclusion in the next EZFX, but I think I had sent all of those to you as well for your MA Mod. Everything else is still a Work in Progress and isn't quite ready for release.

windblown

Quote from: Cyber Burn on February 07, 2015, 03:23:05 PM
Thanks to WindBlown's instructions, we now have a bouncing FireBall for Mario, and as soon as I modify it a little further, we will have a bouncing IceBall too:thumbup:

Cool! Can't wait to see it! :)

BentonGrey

Cool!  I can't wait for a new EZFX!

I was just curious for future reference (like the next time I misplace the awesome stuff you send me).
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Unfortunately, I'm still trying to fix some of the FX's that I messed up a while back. I haven't had as much FF time as I'd like, so I'm still a bit behind. I'm hoping that maybe Saturday or Sunday will provide some time to get caught up. If that happens, then I should have some more stuff for you.  :D