News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Help me ID this game

Started by Glitch Girl, September 15, 2011, 02:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

After seeing a trailer for Tekken vs Street Fighter's  four player mode, I was reminded of a game I played back in college, but for the life of me can't remember the name of.

Here's what I remember:

-It was a four player fighter game.  If you started with more than two players, the characters had Z movement, but once it was down to two, it locked the characters on the same Z-axis and played like a normal fighter.

-It was 2D sprite based, despite the whole Z-Axis movement thing.  Artwork was obviously inspired by Street Fighter, but I'm not sure if it was a Capcom game or not.

-It came out in the early-mid 90's, between 1993-1995 most likely. 

-Characters included:
  • Male character, redish-orange costume, carried a pair of tonfas, short red hair.
  • Female character, extremely skinny, possibly Chinese, carried a bo staff, black hair worn up in a pair of buns.  short-sleeved Chinese shirt, long pants
  • Male character, silvery-blue ninja-ish armor, used a pair of crescent blades on chains, had sort of a helmet like old-school Shatterstar (covered sides of face and forehead, but not the top of the head).
  • Female character, cat girl, used claws.
  • (just remembered this one) Male character, had HUGE hammer, tended to wave it around madly

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

JeyNyce

Do you remember what year the game came out?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Glitch Girl

Like I said, between 1993 & 1995, I think.  Can't get any more exact than that. 

I think there were 6  characters to choose from too, though the last one completely escapes me.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

catwhowalksbyhimself

Here's a list you can try to see if anything sounds familiar, but it's a long one. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fighting_games
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Glitch Girl

FOUND IT!

May I present our mystery game: Knuckle Heads!

Turns out my memory was a bit flawed - the cat girl wasn't a cat girl, but a Brazilian woman who used claws and the guy I forgot about completely was some viking looking guy with twin axes.  It was a pretty unremarkable yet fun enough game to play provided it was with people, the solo game was pretty bleah.  Having a complete group to give it a nice dose of chaos improved things.  It didn't last long in our arcade IIRC, and when it was gone it wasn't missed much.  Hadn't thought about it in years until that aforementioned clip.
-Glitch Girl