Batman: The Brave and The Bold v 2.0

Started by Midnite, December 24, 2008, 05:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Now THIS one could be good.  Evil Aquaman and good Manta! 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

daglob

You know, the names of those episodes sound so much like the names of the Wednesday and Thrusday night episodes of a '60's Batman TV show...

danhagen

I loved Silver Age parallel Earth crises as a kid, and this is a wonderful homage to them, full of fairly obscure references -- a heroic Red Hood, a Blue Bowman, Owlman, the Adam West Batcave entrance, the atomic pile, the mechanical dinosaur in the Batcave, the giant Joker card. Great stuff.
Veritas et probitas super omnia.

JeyNyce

So far this series (or this version of Bats) blows "The Batman" out of the water.  This is up there with TAS.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Glitch Girl

"The others don't know what I'm capable of. One day I'll show them. I've got the true heart of a hero...I keep it in a big jar at the back of my closet." - Scarlet Scarab

Yeah I know it's an old line, but it's still a good one.

I quite enjoyed this episode.  Lot of good bits, some tight plotting, great banter, and I really liked how they handled the Red Hood.  I agree with Jey, this blows "The Batman" out of the water.  They actually managed to make Batman "light" without getting silly. 

Gonna be interesting to see how they do Joker all nice and insane.  Also kinda cool seeing Owlman in a close facimile of the original Batman costume in the previews. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

JeyNyce

QuoteGonna be interesting to see how they do Joker all nice and insane.

The Joker that they are showing reminds me of the one they did in TAS with the 3 kids telling stories of Batman.  They may go with something from the Jack Nicholson version.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

BentonGrey

Quote from: JeyNyce on March 01, 2009, 03:01:37 PM
So far this series (or this version of Bats) blows "The Batman" out of the water.  This is up there with TAS.

So, this episode had a lot of strengths.  I enjoyed the premise greatly, and I really enjoyed the brief bits with the Red Hood, especially his origin.  That being said, I was disappointed overall, mostly because...surprise surprise, they lacked subtlety.  Basically, all we got were generically "evil" twins of the characters in the series, and in the spirit of "classic" alternate universe stories, the only thing to distinguish them from their good counterparts was that they were wearing different COLORS.  Not even a different costume design, except for Owlman.  Weak.  I would have liked something more visually interesting than Green Arrow...but blue.  What really bothered me is that there was no real substance to any of these villains.  I mean, thinking back to the similar story in JLA, or the Syndicate Rules storyline in the comics...there was SO MUCH POTENTIAL here, and so little done with it.  I don't know, I would have really liked to see what made, say, a good Black Manta tick...but I understand that this show simply isn't going to give me that.  It was enjoyable despite these things, although for a show that prides itself on flash over substance, I expected a bit more flash in the character designs.  Look, Grodd has white fur, he must be good!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

danhagen

This Batman reminds of the iteration of the character generally most despised -- the early Silver Age, pre-New Look Batman who kept tripping over aliens in the Gotham City. Growing up with that Batman, I always had a soft spot for him. The stories were silly fun, and there was nothing better than an issue of Detective Comics that gave you Batman and Robin, Roy Raymond and that marvelous Martian Manhunter for one thin dime.
This Batman is a more sophisticated version of that Batman, a costumed acrobat detective with gadgets who somehow has the confidence to oppose and thwart superhuman villains and alien invasions while tossing off quips.

randyripoff

What I think is that this series demonstrates just how many different types of story you can tell with Batman.  You can play him straight as in the DCAU, you can make him a little more "hip" a la The Batman (which really wasn't that bad, especially the last 3 seasons), or you can even have fun with him as this series is doing.  There's really not that much difference in characterization between the three--perhaps the DCAU Batman was a little more dry, but he wasn't lacking a sense of humor either--ultimately each character is still easily recognizable as the Dark Knight.  Really, it's only the settings that have changed.

Midnite

:spoiler:
Joker in the Batcave

Episode was pretty good, have to agree with JeyNyce. Disappointed that they didn't give the other characters different costumes.
I would love to see a DC zombie universe.

danhagen

Randyripoff is right. I think it was Denny O'Neil who observed that Batman is an extremely flexible super hero character who can fit in any genre from crime/noir to science fiction fantasy.

danhagen

Like the comic book series on which it's based, this show has little use for Batman's dual identity, although that was one of the original appeals of the character. The other super hero characters tend to squeeze Bruce Wayne out of the picture.

danhagen

Note that the Joker in this week's episode is clearly a Dick Sprang Joker. Nice touch.

Glitch Girl

GREEN ARROW: ...And no O'Brien, your assistance is not required.

So part 2 aired this week....

Me likey.  Me like muchly!

The creative team had great fun with this one.  TONS of great banter, I wish I could quote it all here, but a lot of it was contextual.  I laughed a lot, but it never felt "silly", which is no mean feat.  Jeff Glenn Bennett's Joker is very different from Mark Hamil's but honestly, I think his take worked amazingly well with the Sprague-inspired design on this one.  The banter, especially the running gag with the Batmobile controls were choice.   My inner fan-girl also got a kick of Owlman's first appearance in the original batsuit, down to the nod to a classic panel in the that shot.  

If this was to be the season finale (it felt like one) it would have been a great way to go out.  I suspect it may have been, but there's a new episode next week with Adam Strange so maybe they're showing them out of order or something.

Spoiler

At the end, Batman bring Batmen from the other universe had my inner fangirl going NEATO!  I didn't recognize the psionic one with the huge forehead, but there were several from the Batmen of All Nations and the vampire Batman from Red Rain.  If someone knows where the psionic one is from, let me know.

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Previsionary

No, it was the season finale. Next week's episode is the start of season 2. They made 26 episodes and split it into 2 parts. It's similar to how they did Ben10:AF...though Ben10 had a month or so between its seasons.
Disappear when you least expe--

Panther_Gunn

Unfortunately, I got to miss all but the first 5 minutes of this episode, due to CN changing the time.  :angry:

Why, oh why, do so many of these cable networks (and some of the big 4, as well) juggle shows around so much?  Are they getting kick-backs from the Tivo people???
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Midnite

Friday, March 13: "Mystery in Space!" -- On his birthday, a melancholy Aquaman joins Batman for a space adventure on Adam Strange's home planet of Rann.

Friday, March 20: "Trials of the Demon!" -- In 19th century London, Jason Blood -- aka The Demon Etrigan -- has been framed for supernatural attacks perpetrated by Gentleman Ghost.

Link: http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0903/03/index.htm

:spoiler:
Batman: The Brave and The Bold episode "Mystery in Space!" Preview

BentonGrey

I missed the latest episode thanks to CN monkeying with the schedule, but I'm not terribly broken up about it.  I suppose I'll catch it rerun sometime this week, but the part of the finale that I was actually excited about was the previous one.

Now these two....they both sound pretty darn awesome.  Aquaman teaming up with Adam Strange and fighting Gordanians?  That's pure comic awesome....let's see if they manage to butcher it. :P

The Etrigan one sounds pretty cool, but what I'm REALLY excited about in that one is the Question!  He'd better be voiced by Jeffry Combs (sp?) from JLU.  He was the perfect Question in the same way Conroy is the perfect Batman. 

:EDIT: Watching the preview, I am not sure if the Question is voiced by Combs or not, but he does sound relatively similar.  Nothing particularly interesting from him in the snippet I saw, which is probably most of the opening venue.  On the other hand, I have to admit...Equinox strikes me as an interesiting villain.  I like the idea of someone who would target both heroes AND villains.  Even though HE is fairly overt in theme, they actually set up a mystery over exactly who he is and what powers he has...I like that.  Is this guy new, or does he actually exist in the comics?

The Aquaman episode looks pretty good from what little I can tell.  The music is fun, sorta' Flash Gordon-esque.  I love how Aquaman, looking bored just sorta' slaps down these big scary monster-like aliens who Batman and Adam Strange are fighting tooth and nail. :D
God Bless

RTTingle

Too much fun in this episode...

The Jay Garrick Flash... a quicker getaway...the world's greatest detective... the Gentleman before he became a Ghost... friend of yours... and my fav--- GASLIGHT COSTUME!

RTT

Glitch Girl

Gotta agree with RTT, the gaslight costume rocked. 

Jay Garrick... I hope we see him again.  Lots of fun.

And continuity... at first I wondered why was Jason summoning Batman during the Victorian era and then I remembered they met last season in Authurian times.  Nice touch.

Me likey.
-Glitch Girl

danhagen

Loved the Sherlock Holmes team-up, and the "deduction" about each other's identities. Both witty and respectful of the characters.

Silver Shocker

Just saw Game Over for Owlman. It was a great two parter. 

Spoiler
At first I didn't care for Jeff Bennet's Joker, but it kinda grew on me. Seeing a Batman/Joker team-up was really fun, and something I don't really remember seeing before in any versions of Batman (not that it definitely hasn't happened, just that I don't remember ever having read or seen any storylines where it happened). Also I'd like to say I think Corey Burton is awesome at voicing evil robots. Red Tornado IMO has a much better voice than he did in his brief appearances in JLU.

Gotta say, this show is surprisingly fun. Also, you CN viewers aren't the only ones being messed with. Teletoon in Canada has been switching BatB's timeslot around recently as well.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Tomato

Quote from: Silver Shocker on April 06, 2009, 01:48:51 AM
Just saw Game Over for Owlman. It was a great two parter. 

Spoiler
At first I didn't care for Jeff Bennet's Joker, but it kinda grew on me. Seeing a Batman/Joker team-up was really fun, and something I don't really remember seeing before in any versions of Batman (not that it definitely hasn't happened, just that I don't remember ever having read or seen any storylines where it happened). Also I'd like to say I think Corey Burton is awesome at voicing evil robots. Red Tornado IMO has a much better voice than he did in his brief appearances in JLU.

Gotta say, this show is surprisingly fun. Also, you CN viewers aren't the only ones being messed with. Teletoon in Canada has been switching BatB's timeslot around recently as well.

Spoiler
Actually, the Joker team-up is a quiet nod to one of the more well known issues of the original Brave and Bold comics. Joker gets framed for a crime, and he teams up with Batman to take vengeance on the one who dared use his name.

RTTingle

Quote from: Midnite on April 18, 2009, 07:22:12 AM
Batman: Brave & The Bold Returns 5/1/09 With Huntress

Heh heh heh...

Pretty over the top but funny none the less.   The sandpaper cuddling had me lol'ing.  The drool in the second clip was a bit much, but as a whole --- still funny.  Is it me... or was that an actual High School Musical reference with "Get your head in the game"?

Huntress AND Black Canary, sweet!   :thumbup:

RTT

The Hitman

Nothing official, but I was trolling around Wikipedia (as I am know to do at work), and came across this little jem:

Quote from: Wikipedia: Bat- Mite
Bat-Mite will appear in an upcoming episode of the animated series Batman: The Brave and the Bold, voiced by Paul Reubens.

As a fan of Pee- Wee Herman, I thought this was kinda cool. Just wanted to share.