News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Nuke, baby, nuke...

Started by daglob, June 04, 2010, 04:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daglob

Some wise guy is proposing that they use a nuclear weapon to "melt closed" the runaway oil well in the Gulf.

I know I've seen this in an old Atlas comic: "SLUUDGE-The Oil Spill That Walks Like A Man". It would have been by Stan and Jack, and appeared in Journey Into Mystery or Tales To Astonish...

BlueBard

Oooh!  Oooh!  Nuclear underwater explosions!

We could totally end up with GODZILLA!!!

Or, possibly, a form of contamination that destroys all marine life in the Gulf and makes the oil spill look like no big deal.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

daglob

Quote from: BlueBard on June 04, 2010, 01:18:48 PM
Oooh!  Oooh!  Nuclear underwater explosions!

We could totally end up with GODZILLA!!!

Or, possibly, a form of contamination that destroys all marine life in the Gulf and makes the oil spill look like no big deal.

That's pretty much what we have now. Dead things have been washing up on the beaches at Dauphin Island for a couple of weeks now. Someone at BP is supposed to have said that it wasn't from the oil spill. The cadavers have been put in freezers pending further examinations.

Radioactive seafood... yum, yum.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: BlueBard on June 04, 2010, 01:18:48 PM

Hey!!  No talking bad about me when I'm in the room!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

ow_tiobe_sb

*channelling Baudrillard* The likelihood that a nuclear device's detonation will be used to solve this problem is zero.  The efficacy of the bomb relies upon its not detonating, so that its mere existence will perpetuate the simulation of the political on the international level.  Should the bomb go off again (and it will not), it would lose all efficacy by exposing an almost unthinkable truth: there are no political stakes to be had.  Meanwhile, we must buttress the deterrence and neutralisation systems facilitated by the bomb by a proliferation of simulacra via the media (cf. Season 6 of 24, Independence Day, etc.) that, while illustrating the horrors of a detonation on a limited scale, serve to remind us that the bomb will never be detonated.

Or something. *shrug*

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and World Breaker
Two words: Moog.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on June 07, 2010, 03:36:36 PM
*channelling Baudrillard* The likelihood that a nuclear device's detonation will be used to solve this problem is zero.  The efficacy of the bomb relies upon its not detonating, so that its mere existence will perpetuate the simulation of the political on the international level.  Should the bomb go off again (and it will not), it would lose all efficacy by exposing an almost unthinkable truth: there are no political stakes to be had.  Meanwhile, we must buttress the deterrence and neutralisation systems facilitated by the bomb by a proliferation of simulacra via the media (cf. Season 6 of 24, Independence Day, etc.) that, while illustrating the horrors of a detonation on a limited scale, serve to remind us that the bomb will never be detonated.

Or something. *shrug*

ow_tiobe_sb

TIOBE?!?!?!?!  Is this true...the Tiobe is back?!?!?!  What the?!?!?!?!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

ow_tiobe_sb

"No, it isn't."

(and many other FR Greatest Hits--including "Freedom Asylum down?" and "Don't say the V-word!"--may be yours for just $19.95 plus s/h...)

ow_tiobe_sb

daglob

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on June 07, 2010, 03:36:36 PM

Or something. *shrug*

ow_tiobe_sb

This makes as much sense as anything else we've been told the past few weeks.

The Phantom Eyebrow

Quote from: daglob on June 08, 2010, 02:10:07 AM

Perhaps so, perhaps so.  But, given his unsettling behaviour in another thread, I'm surprised that tiobe didn't wax layrically about BP's plan to fire debris into the line.

daglob

Quote from: The Phantom Eyebrow on June 10, 2010, 07:52:03 PM
Quote from: daglob on June 08, 2010, 02:10:07 AM

Perhaps so, perhaps so.  But, given his unsettling behaviour in another thread, I'm surprised that tiobe didn't wax layrically about BP's plan to fire debris into the line.

They did that already. It didn't work.

ow_tiobe_sb

Quote from: The Phantom Eyebrow on June 10, 2010, 07:52:03 PM
But, given his unsettling behaviour in another thread, I'm surprised that tiobe didn't wax layrically about BP's plan to fire debris into the line.

Actually, Eyebrow, I don't wax; instead, I ... ah, sod it, I won't go there ... ;)

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and (Mercifully Restrained) World Breaker

Glitch Girl

Fixed.

Quote from: ow_tiobe_sb on June 11, 2010, 05:13:10 PM

Actually, Eyebrow, I don't wax; instead, I ... ah, sod it, I won't go Nair ... ;)

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka