The Pronunciation Book Conspiracy

Started by Glitch Girl, August 01, 2013, 02:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

Apparently, this all started two years ago with a little YouTube Channel called Pronunciation Book.  It was an odd little channel that seemed to showcase how to pronounce English words.  It would present the word as black text over white background and audio with the word in a sentence.  It was a bit strange, but still managed to glean some followers and at least one parody channel. 

Cut to three weeks ago, when the video featured the number 77 and the phrase "Something is going to happen, in 77 days". 

The next day, the words was "76", and contained the phrase "I've been trying to tell you something for 1,183 days."

Since then, each day has been a countdown.  To what, NO ONE KNOWS  [dun dun DUUUUUUUN!]

No one may know, but there is a heck of a lot of speculation going on.  There's a blog, a wiki, a Google Doc, and a ton of speculations on Reddit and 4Chan (I don't recommend going to that last one).  Speculation has included everything from the owner just went nuts to "Half Life 3 Confirmed!".  Backtracking through the old videos has yielded a bit of a narrative that folks have pieced together, and even the static at the end of the countdown videos seems to be mapping into a picture.

EDIT: And someone pieced this together from the previous Pronunciation Book entries.  Spooky (but probably inaccurate.  Still they had enough to make this so...).

It's most likely to be an Alternate Reality Game (ARG) two years in the making (yikes!).  Research has uncovered that someone named Thomas Bender is involved in Pronunciation Book, and he has a history with ARGs.  I know some of you like puzzles and ARGs, so if you have any speculation on all this, please chime in.

Something is going to happen, in 54 days.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Deaths Jester

The truth is in the amount of days I shall be reborn as a living, breathing human boy once more!  Isn't that amazing!!!   ;)
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I give it about an hour before the alcohol kills you again.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on August 02, 2013, 10:10:01 PM
I give it about an hour before the alcohol kills you again.

An hour?  Please more like five minutes!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.