• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

After a 50+ year run, it finally happened ...

Started by AncientSpirit, December 11, 2008, 09:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: bredon7777 on December 14, 2008, 10:56:21 AM
Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on December 14, 2008, 08:05:18 AM
Quote from: bredon7777 on December 14, 2008, 06:44:31 AM
Oh, and as for the Doom Patrol - until DC puts Morrisons brillant run on them back into continuity, they are dead to me

B, Morrison's run is in continuity...All versions of the DP have been integrated into the current team (who make very sparse guest-appearances here and there).  The Chief has been resurrected and is still an evil jerk (as Morrison made him, much to my disgust) and he in turn, resurrected Rita Farr/Elasti-Girl.  Larry, Cliff and Mento are also somehow back among the living...But all of those stories Morrison wrote, happened in continuity.

Dana

Neat! When did that happen?  As far as I knew, Morrisons stuff went out the window when Byrne rebooted the team.

Superboy Prime's punching at the walls of reality caused disruptions (when he escaped his universe to enter the main DCU)...The Doom Patrol reboot was apparently one of these disruptions.  After SPrime went nuts and was temporailly imprisoned in the Phantom Zone, his attempts to escape caused more ripples...Which merged all of the various Doom Patrol timelines/realities.  I think the various LSH reboots were blamed on him too (I could be recalling that wrong, though).

cmdrkoenig67

Quote from: bredon7777 on December 14, 2008, 11:00:56 AM
Quote from: GhostMachine on December 14, 2008, 10:14:16 AM

Morrison, in my opinion, has no business working on mainstream titles; DC was nuts letting him do anything outside the Vertigo line and when he was working on X-Men I avoided reading because they double messed it up (Frank Quitely is my least favorite artist next to Liefeld; his work on All-Star Superman looks okay, but his work for Marvel looked atrocious).

Morrison's JLA is classic - no one in the modern age has even come close to writing the JLA that well.

As for Marvel- I want the members of the Illumanti to take off VR helmets, and then have Reed go "And THAT, gentlemen is why the Registration act is such a lousy idea."

LOL...That would be great!

Dana

Rubberbandman

I am a new member here, and this is my first post.  I read comic books as a child in the 1970's and early 1980's, and I picked up the habit again about twenty years ago.  I read for both DC and Marvel with equal fervor, when I was a kid, I was such a comic fan I even read Richie Rich and Archie comic books, but I stopped reading comic books about a decade ago; although I still have found memories of the medium.  The reasons I gave it up was for the same reasons listed here.  The cost and the often convuluted storylines mixed with solutions that only made the situation worse.

I usually preferred team books over single character books.  Justice League of America and Legion of Super-Heroes for DC and Fantastic Four and Avengers being my favorite books.  I would have always liked to seen a book that promoted the idealism of DC combined with the realism of Marvel, but by the time the Amalgam books came around, neither comic universe was that appealing.

I think the biggest problem facing comic book writers are that they are writing for characters that are essentially ageless for a culture that seems to be changing at an increasingly quick pace combined with the desire for good stories that maintain the myth called continuity. 

I think this is lousy first post, but I am out of practice in writing for a message board format.

The Hitman

Quote from: Rubberbandman on December 18, 2008, 08:14:44 AM
I think the biggest problem facing comic book writers are that they are writing for characters that are essentially ageless for a culture that seems to be changing at an increasingly quick pace combined with the desire for good stories that maintain the myth called continuity. 

I totally agree with this. If I weren't at work, I'd elaborate.

And that was a good first post. I think my first was a run-on sentence asking for a FF skin or something.

And also, welcome to the fun!