• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

New X-Men Jean Grey & Emma Frost Updated Models.

Started by emperous, November 02, 2008, 12:54:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emperous

It is my first skin, I thought I should show it. It is Emma Frost from New X-Men comic. It uses ips base and model by ink.

Dr.Volt

Wow.  Pretty nice work.  I like your work on her hair especially.  She does seem a tad washed out though.  Can you darken her skin perhaps a few shades?  Just my spare change....

laughing paradox

I concur with Dr. Volt.

That hair is very impressive. Maybe adding some contrast on the skin will make it stand out more.

emperous

Thank you for your critique. I made her a little darker but I want keep her very pale like the colorist in New X-Men. I updated the original image and I did a diamond form too.

Xorn is next.  :D

murs47

AfghanAnt

UnkoMan

One think I keep noticing is the brow highlight under the eyebrows themselves. Usually this is kept in shadow. It just seems odd to me.

For a first skin? Great work. Have you fooled around with this sort of thing before? I highly encourage you to continue.

martialstorm

Very nice :thumbup:

I really like the facial expression which on the surface seems very cute but has more going on behind the scenes.

Podmark

That's very good. Really has that Frank Quitely look to it.

djfredski

emperous

Thank you everyone. I did another skin tonight, I was going to do Xorn (I love him) but skoping him is difficult.

The Enigma

I'm very impressed with these skins, they're especially good coming from a new skinner too. My only gripe (and this is probably a matter of personal artistic preference rather than anything else) is with the small mouths and tiny, tiny eyes. They frighten me just a little. I appreciate it's a stylistic choice, but, with the normal to large-sized noses, they look like scary evil elf people to me.

emperous

Quote from: The Enigma on November 03, 2008, 01:49:00 AM
I'm very impressed with these skins, they're especially good coming from a new skinner too. My only gripe (and this is probably a matter of personal artistic preference rather than anything else) is with the small mouths and tiny, tiny eyes. They frighten me just a little. I appreciate it's a stylistic choice, but, with the normal to large-sized noses, they look like scary evil elf people to me.

Yes, it is stylistic choice. I enjoy Frank Quietly look and I wanted the skins to reflect that.

Outcast

I'm really impressed with all the little details you've done in these skins. From the hair up to their fingernails.
Good job on the faces too!  :)

miguelyanke

Very good job"!! ^_^ hope you to upload' 'em

emperous

I moved the skins to different models for a more Frank Quietly look.

miguelyanke

maybe you could add some hair in Phoenix's front head, to look more real, 'cause i think the face looks strange.

Also, Emma's eyes looks so separated, and the noise so bit.

I like your Diamant effect but i recomend you to change or the _refl skin or the lightmap to look more edged.

If you need some help with skopes just tell me.

emperous

Quote from: miguelyanke on November 04, 2008, 05:21:46 AM
maybe you could add some hair in Phoenix's front head, to look more real, 'cause i think the face looks strange.

Also, Emma's eyes looks so separated, and the noise so bit.

I like your Diamant effect but i recomend you to change or the _refl skin or the lightmap to look more edged.

If you need some help with skopes just tell me.

I see what you are saying about Jean's head.

I did Emma's face to match Frank Quietlys work: http://www.popcultureshock.com/papes/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/emma-quitely_1024.jpg Though I do agree about the nose. The new mesh must have stretched it out. Some people hate, I personally love it.

I'm not sure what you mean about the lightmap.

She looks very smooth to me.

UnkoMan

Ahh... Don't know where you got them but those head shapes are much better for a Quietly appearance.

The eyes could be bigger though. Probably just wider in terms of Emma but if you compare say, this shot of Jean: http://ultimatecomics.free.fr/new_xmen/images/New_X-Men_Cover_120.jpg

The raised eyebrows are good though. He loves using that expression.

Emma's chin isn't quite right either, but some of that is a mesh thing, too. I'd still give her that little bump thing that Jean has, just a bit less pronouced. He basically draws everybody like that.

I think these faces are much improved over the last ones, though. Keep it up!

emperous

Quote from: UnkoMan on November 04, 2008, 08:26:07 AM
Ahh... Don't know where you got them but those head shapes are much better for a Quietly appearance.

The eyes could be bigger though. Probably just wider in terms of Emma but if you compare say, this shot of Jean: http://ultimatecomics.free.fr/new_xmen/images/New_X-Men_Cover_120.jpg

The raised eyebrows are good though. He loves using that expression.

Emma's chin isn't quite right either, but some of that is a mesh thing, too. I'd still give her that little bump thing that Jean has, just a bit less pronouced. He basically draws everybody like that.

I think these faces are much improved over the last ones, though. Keep it up!

Beyonder's female_basic_platforms for the Emma mesh and female_amazon_newhair by Ink fro Jean.

Yeah, I think I am going to completely redo their eyes.

The chins have been difficult. I did them and took them away and then left Jean's. I've actually updated both of their face since posting this picture and I'll preview them again once I skin the new eyes.

Thanks for the feedback!

AfghanAnt

Emp, you should add additional wrinkles to Jean's waist like Unko's image. Also I would fix the seam on Jean's neck to make the neck look like it is actually attached to the shirt.

That comment was a joke before people start jumping on me for messing with the noobs.
Also you are not very talented at all. You should give up this skinning non-sense.

qazwsx

Yep, they do look strange personally, but that's how New X-men is drawn(that's why I've always loathed it). Jean really looks manly(sorry) but I think most of it is down to the mesh, might I suggest trying some other meshes? Other than that you've really got the hair colour down, but you might want to make the pattern a little less symmetric. Also you might want to try it figure out the quirks of the mapping to fix the distortion of the lines caused by the mesh. Once you do that, I think you should totally try bumpmapping: http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=48415.0 (free plug tommy :lol:)
I think her uniform would be brilliant for bump mapping. I know I've been harsh. ;)

qazwsx

Btw off topic, but does anyone know of any female mesh with less freakishly huge breasts? Everyone I've seen so far seem to be rather unnaturally massive.(no offence to any meshers' tastes)

emperous

Quote from: qazwsx on November 04, 2008, 11:48:15 PMOther than that you've really got the hair colour down, but you might want to make the pattern a little less symmetric.

I am not sure what you mean by symmetrical? The hair pieces for these meshes are one-sided and if I skin one side the other side assumes the same pattern as well. I have no control over that.

As far as bumpmapping, that is something I'd rather not do. It seems like a lot of extra work for a mesh that appear very small in game (i.e. why do something that 89% percent of people won't notice anyway).

qazwsx

Oh it is? Nothing you can't do about that then I suppose. You might want to try different meshes, it's usually pretty simple to "convert" the skin. And you're probably right about bump mapping being surplus, though I assure you it's not much work actually.

qazwsx

Oh sorry I just remembered, if you're determined to stay with this mesh, you could skope on another hair mesh. :cool:

UnkoMan

I've never had a problem with symmetrical hair. I mean, the rest of the costume is, and it's so common in video games... I don't see anything wrong with it.

AfghanAnt

Quote from: UnkoMan on November 06, 2008, 06:42:25 AM
I've never had a problem with symmetrical hair. I mean, the rest of the costume is, and it's so common in video games... I don't see anything wrong with it.

Yeah I didn't get the symmetrical hair thing either. Aren't girls' hair cuts usually symmetrical anyway?  :unsure: