• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

ZOMG I'm not dead (10/22/08)

Started by Tomato, October 19, 2008, 03:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

For those who are wondering, I haven't died, I'm just taking my last bunch of General Education credits and they're all full of despite and evil (Ethics, Lit, and Advanced Writing. FUN). I have some free time, but I haven't really been interested in FF stuff of late... don't get me wrong, I'm not leaving or anything it's just FF stuff is not on my artistic radar at the moment, and I don't feel like forcing it (especially since one of my favorite personal projects is stalled at the moment anyway).

But enough about that, let's talk about what I have been doing. I've gotten into some sprite work here and there, done some cool stuff with that I might post later. My big project right now, is something I got inspired to do awhile back by a Half-Life mod of all things.

This is completely from scratch, has taken me about two weeks between classes. Oh, and before I forget... a few points

-Yes, it's a Naruto character. I admit to being something of a fan of that series. I do not, however, care if you are one or not. And if you are an Naruto Attention Regressive Unproductive Temperamental And Ridiculous Dimwit I do not want to talk to you at all.
-I will not, and never will, port this to Freedom Force. This is intended for a Naruto mod, and I will not infect the poor community here with an onslaught of Naruto fans.
-The break in the center is normal. I'm using a mirrored Reference to keep everything I do done evenly

AfghanAnt

UnkoMan

I've gotta say, your meshin' is really impressin' me lately. Good job. I love this cartoony look.

Tomato

Quote from: UnkoMan on October 20, 2008, 02:55:20 PM
I've gotta say, your meshin' is really impressin' me lately. Good job. I love this cartoony look.

Heh, unfortunately I'm using a render method that doesn't work for FF. Wish it did, It would make my 8-bit stuff much easier.

Tomato

An update:

Update, finished mostly everything at this point (a few minor edits for when I rig it is all that's left. Detail's down a bit from the last preview, but it's a necessary evil, as the mesh is intended for an engine which has a max of 2000 polys.

And some stuff I was doing over on another board:

Particularly fond of Gamma, even if it was intended as a lame joke... One of the Spriters on this other board, who is really talented FYI, was doing base poses of official Sonic characters to scale with the S3 stuff. But she got to Gamma, looked at the scale, and stated on the board "My mind can't even COMPREHEND that. I can't BELIEVE he's seven feet tall. I REALLY CAN'T. And if I can't comprehend it, I certainly can't sprite it." (for those unaware, the official scale is Sonic-100 cm, Gamma- 215cm) SO I decided to do one to prove how awesome I am  :P . 14 colors+1 transparent, Win

Tomato

Ok, so if you're one of the unfortunate sods I managed to bug on my IMs today ((read:Premonitioner)) You'll have heard I had a bit of creativity today and put together my brand new blinking avatar ((in case I change it 3 months down the road and everybody wonders what I'm talking about, I'm referring to this one. Now normally an avatar isn't exactly art thread material, but there's a bit of history behind this one which I feel is important to explain to you guys, because I know it will annoy some people.

My Avatar is part of a set I have come to call "Card Sprites." The history behind it is rather stupid... I was involved in a Kingdom Hearts RPG since shortly after KH1 came out, which was cool and I developed friendships with people I still bug today. Then Chain of Memories came out, I looked at the purdy talk graphics and said "I Gots to do that!"

So I drew me a 1337 picture of my Avatar, Shrank it down, and used all of my Mad Spriting Skillz and... came up with this

It didn't take me long to figure out that that (and the others I did at the same time) stank. So I redid it to the version I've been using for awhile now.

The NEW version, however, was not based on drawings. On a whim, I redid it based on my Freedom Force avatar. Which got me thinking about things... if it works well for 3d work... what about other avatars