• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Kick-arse film

Started by Jakew, August 17, 2008, 05:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakew

Apparently casting has begun on the film verison of Mark Millar's "Kick-arse". Matthew Vaughn ("Stardust") is the director, which is pretty cool ... I think I was one of three people who really enjoyed that film. Plus, he did amazing stuff with a fairly small budget.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2008/08/15/matthew-vaughn-moves-ahead-with-kick-arse/

Gremlin

I loved Stardust. While not as good as the book, it was an enjoyable, sweet romance, and I'm a sucker for those.  I enjoy Kick-***, the little I've read of it. Excited for this! :thumbup:

Jakew

detourne_me

nic cage will be the dad... that's not too bad.

Jakew

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/090808-MillarMovies.html

A few interesting tidbits from Mark Millar:

MM: All the things that made it that thing that was a little bit different. So Matthew told them he wasn't prepared to change it, to compromise the integrity of the project. He took it to a couple of others guys, but they had the exact same concerns about it – a little girl who's nine years old and is cutting people's heads off – "Can we make her 18?" They weren't trying to change the actual content; they were trying to change some of the superficial and so on. Again, we just felt that they were compromising the material too much, so we said no thanks.

Luckily though, Matthew is incredibly wealthy and has a lot very wealthy friends. So, because he believes in the project so much, he made some calls and gathered together upwards of $60 million, and it's self-financed. So he's doing the movie on its own back, and someone else will distribute. This was all prior to Wanted coming out, and people were asking if you really could make an R-rated superhero movie, and then Wanted made $300 million at the box office, and should make another $200 million on DVD.
So people are now getting it, and we're going to get a better deal than we would have initially. So it's all worked out very nice.

bredon7777

I thought Wanted was a great movie, but youd be hard pressed to find something that compromised the source material more.

laughing paradox

I'm both surprised and excited that they're making Kick-arse into a film. I also like that they're trying to keep the integrity of the source material, unlike Wanted. (Why couldn't it have been just like the comic? Argh!)

Anyway, I can only hope this movie delivers. The controversy surrounding a 10 year old girl being a killing machine will only make this movie more popular.

captainspud

Quote from: laughing paradox on September 09, 2008, 11:00:56 AM
I also like that they're trying to keep the integrity of the source material, unlike Wanted. (Why couldn't it have been just like the comic? Argh!)

Because Wanted with no modifications would've been hard for mainstream audiences to understand and relate to-- whereas Wanted with the changes they made is going to make $500,000,000. They modified it to appeal to a wider audience, and it succeeded.

Movies aren't made to tell a good story; they're investments. They're calculated to make the largest possible return on investment, and the most important aspect of that is to make it appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

The only incentive a Hollywood studio has to be faithful to source material is if that decision will make them more money than changing things.

steamteck

Quote from: bredon7777 on September 09, 2008, 06:31:25 AM
I thought Wanted was a great movie, but youd be hard pressed to find something that compromised the source material more.

probably that's why it was good.

BWPS

Completely off-topic
@laughing paradox: I just spent like a minute staring at your avatar thinking "wow, what a cool optical illusion, it looks like it's moving!" before I realized it was actually animated.

Slightly on-topic
Why can't we say the A-word on this forum? I mean, they say it in kid movies all the time and stuff, and I'd say it's a milder word than even damn, which is allowed. And arse isn't exactly a good replacement when it comes to things like kick- or bad-, it just sounds weird. I just think that particular swear filter should be arsearseinated.

bredon7777

Quote from: steamteck on September 10, 2008, 12:31:09 PM
Quote from: bredon7777 on September 09, 2008, 06:31:25 AM

probably that's why it was good.

Agreed, (well sort of agreed- Wanted was awesome until the end where it just completely fell apart) but I find it odd that in pretty much the same paragraph he's praising Wanted and complaining that they wanted to "compromise the source material too much" on Kick-<bleep>

Jakew