• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

"looping syndrome" with ezscript freeroam

Started by qazwsx, September 18, 2008, 09:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qazwsx

Hi does anyone have any rough ideas as to what I've done wrong if, after selecting  "move to <so and so map>" it repeatedly loops to the sme map that you're on? After clicking continue(or restart actually) it unfades to the starting marker then fades to black to the menu in an infinite loop. I've have all the markers that m25's sample "fortress" map has. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

M25

The mostly likely problem is the directory name.  Each freeroam map must be in a separate directory, and the name of the directory must be name of the map.

Or there might have been another bug triggered.  Are you seeing any errors in your script.log file?

qazwsx

I still don't know what the true reason is, but I found a temporary fix by using the same directory names from your nice little sample for my maps. It seems this is the only way up until "cityfreedom" then you're free to let loose :lol: More importantly however, is there a way to start the freeroam in the middle of the campaign? Moving it down the campaign list renders the briefing button redundant, but what if I added your script onto the end of another mission's? Thank you for the brilliant "customer service" and this lovely bit of fun mate :)

M25

The fortress map has a marker called 'to_cityfreedom' that lets you move to the map in the cityfreedom directory.  If you want to go to a different map in a different directory, change cityfreedom to the name of your directory.  Alternately, you can add a new marker.  So if you have a map in a directory called bigcity, you'd add a marker called 'to_bigcity'.   

To get it to work correctly, your bigcity map must have two markers.  One called to_fortress to let the character go back into the fortress (and to let the game know where the character should start on the map), and one called 'mapname_bigcity' to let EZ script know that this is the bigcity map.

You can start a freeroam scenario in the middle of a campaign.  Just place the freeroam starting map at the point in the campaign list you want it to start.  To get the freeroam scenario to end and move on with the campaign, you need an encounter that has

Next: Win

in it.