• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Invincible WIP ( 8/11/08 )

Started by Core, July 27, 2008, 04:53:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Core

well i've been working on this skin for a while now and i think im nearing the end, but i thought i would show everyone to see if there was anything that needs fixing that i may have missed.

here it is...

the parts in particular that i think need fixing are the highlights on the head and feet, and then some line work along the edges of the blue portions and the boots.

any veteran skinners (or new-recruits and anything in between) see something that needs some work?

AfghanAnt

More definition in the black. Also you beat me to it, I was going to do Invincible and Omni-boy's costume but I'm glad you did. Really good work. Is this your first skin?

Core

first skin under this alias, but my other ones werent all that great in my opinion. and i also have an omni-boy skin in the works too  :D.

Podmark

Looks pretty good.
And like AA I too was thinking of skining Mark and Oliver. They seem to be popular right now.

Dr.Volt

Looking pretty good!  And it's great that Oliver is being worked on as well.

I miss Invincible's old suit already.  But it's cool that you're working on the new one.   :thumbup:

laughing paradox

I think it looks fantastic. I like it a lot.

Have you messed around with the highlights, making them blue? Kind of like the example picture you have.

Core

Quote from: Dr.Volt on July 28, 2008, 04:37:00 PM
I miss Invincible's old suit already.  But it's cool that you're working on the new one.   :thumbup:

yeah i think the old one was better too, i liked the yellow.

Quote from: laughing paradox on July 28, 2008, 04:48:13 PM
I think it looks fantastic. I like it a lot.

Have you messed around with the highlights, making them blue? Kind of like the example picture you have.

thanks, and yes, i am currently messing with the highlights. i trying to get more muscle definition in the black, but its coming out greyish so im adding some blue highlights to make it look better.

UnkoMan

Well, let's see. If it was me, I wouldn't use white highlights on the blue. I'd use a lighter blue, but make sure to change the tone. A bit more cyan, probably. Nothing drastic. I'd also, as with the picture, use blue highlights on the black, and make them much brighter. Contrast is key, but it has to flow smoothly.

Other than that, though, it's nice. The hair looks decent and you'r going to put in those edges. Should turn out quite good in the end.

Star

That looks really good. Are you planning on doing Oliver too?

Dr.Volt

Quote from: Star on July 29, 2008, 09:47:50 PM
That looks really good. Are you planning on doing Oliver too?

Core said so earlier in the thread.  :)

the_ultimate_evil

not bad for your first skin, though i would work on the edging of the costume a bit more, and as others have said work on blending the highlights

hmm everyone seems to want to skin mark and his bro, think i'll go higher up the family tree

Dr.Volt

I'm still wondering when and if we might see Rex Splode done....  ;)

*runs swiftly behind the blast shield*

Podmark

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on July 30, 2008, 06:40:52 AM
not bad for your first skin, though i would work on the edging of the costume a bit more, and as others have said work on blending the highlights

hmm everyone seems to want to skin mark and his bro, think i'll go higher up the family tree

You're going to skin their mom?!  :P

Quote from: Dr.Volt on July 30, 2008, 07:32:12 AM

I've always wanted to skin Rex, I love the jerk so much. Never gotten around to it though...

Core

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on July 30, 2008, 06:40:52 AM

i humbly request nolan in his viltrumite uniform  :)

Quote from: Podmark on July 30, 2008, 10:18:40 AM
Quote from: Dr.Volt on July 30, 2008, 07:32:12 AM

I've always wanted to skin Rex, I love the jerk so much. Never gotten around to it though...

i really hope placebo gets to finish his rex mesh. it was looking really good.

anyways on to business:

after a little bit of manipulating the base skin and adding a blue layer above the highlights, i got this... (new one is on the right)

i dont really like the results too much so i guess im just going to go back and redo all the reflections in different colors. adding reflections is usually the point where i give up, but i think ill probably finish this one as long as i continue to have free time.

as a side question for skinners, do you guys do new reflections for each skin or do you have a reflections layer that you continue to reuse?

i was kind of hoping id be able to create a reusable layer with this skin but since its not really getting the results i want, i dont think its going to work out.

UnkoMan

If by reflections you mean highlights... I used to tend to just redo them every time. I found that some of my highlight layers would be vastly different than others. Now that I have my own base, I've been reusing the same layer, and just changing the colour in it. I save the .psd file of everything I do, though, just in case I ever need to refer back.

Podmark

Now that I've seen it up close I've got a suggestion. The cheek area of Courtnall's base has this overly dark spot to create this sunken look. I find this doesn't work well for younger heroes so I suggest lightening that area. Take a look at my teen skins for an idea of what I'm saying.

Carravaggio

Quote from: Core on August 05, 2008, 01:16:40 PM
...or do you have a reflections layer that you continue to reuse?

Yep, that one.

Core

Quote from: UnkoMan on August 05, 2008, 01:32:34 PM
If by reflections you mean highlights...
exactly what meant.

Quote from: Podmark on August 05, 2008, 08:46:29 PM
Now that I've seen it up close I've got a suggestion. The cheek area of Courtnall's base has this overly dark spot to create this sunken look. I find this doesn't work well for younger heroes so I suggest lightening that area. Take a look at my teen skins for an idea of what I'm saying.
i agree. i realized i was going to need to do that for oliver and i think it would look better on invincible too since he already has a very narrow face.

Alright, more fiddling yielded what i feel are better results since i figured out my gray problem:

i dont know if its just me or if the black portion is starting to look too blue. it looks pretty good at a distance though in-game.

Volsung

You should add a reflection/gloss on your skope.
Irrationnal use this usually on metallic materials.
But with Revenant on the timmverse we realised that a tiny reflection adds a lot to spandex!

Core

well i think im nearing the end...

comments and critiques welcome.

The Enigma

Looking at the source pic at the top, I think the boots have more of a purple shift to them than a blue one. That could just be the lighting in that particular picture, but still... Otherwise, it's moved on a lot from the first pics you showed off and the refl layer completes things nicely.

Jakew

UnkoMan

See, NOW I think it is too blue. And it seems less gradienty. I think I liked the last one the best. Then add that refl layer, like was mentioned, to make the highlights pop when the light hits them. That would probably work better.

Core

Quote from: UnkoMan on August 12, 2008, 11:15:55 AM
See, NOW I think it is too blue. And it seems less gradienty. I think I liked the last one the best. Then add that refl layer, like was mentioned, to make the highlights pop when the light hits them. That would probably work better.

i assume you mean the light-blue looks too blue, since i didnt change the black-blue part from the pictures before (the third one, on the right). it probably lost some of its gradientness since i have another color layer on top of it instead of adjusting the one that was already in use (so 2 layers total on top of the light-blue).

UnkoMan

Nope, I meant the dark. It looks different to me, but if not then... whoa. The bicep is where it stands out for me. I would just have it a bit more desaturated, is all.

But don't kill yourself over this. Just do what you think looks good and be done. You don't want to go over something again and again and again. You can always come back to something later.

Jakew