• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

trouble with combining attributes

Started by Failed_Hero, May 25, 2008, 09:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Failed_Hero

I am attempting to create combined attribute that has frostbite, overheated, energy shield (passive) and air superioty.  I have followed all the direction in the FFX manual and it is still not working any help guys?

stumpy

Do other attributes or the attributes on other characters work? Is this a built-in character or a custom?

Take the problem character into a campaign mission or Rumble Room session and let it run for a few seconds, if you can, test at least one of the attributes that fails to work as you expect. Then, post your script.log and describe what you did, what you expected to happen, and what actually happened (or failed to happen).

Failed_Hero

stumpy:

it's not even showing up to be selected

stumpy

Two quick things to double-check:

First, obviously, make sure you added it in the FFEdit Attributes tab and that your Primary Data Path is set for the mod where you're expecting the attribute to show up.

Second, make sure that when you generated the language files in FFEdit that your Output Directory was set for the right path. If you didn't, or if somethng else went wrong with the language generation, then the attribute will show up as ATTRIB_YOURATTRIBUTENAME in the list in the game.

Also, I am pretty sure you can't include AIR SUPERIORITY inside a combo attribute because it is already a combo attribute. You have to list flier, ffqnimbleflier, and fastflier separately.

Failed_Hero

strings
ATTRIB_THERMITE_01, thermite (combo)
ATTRIB_THERMITE_DESC_01, You have a temperture shield that freezes and burns away damage (and your allies).

ffxmulti
['thermite','overheated','frostbite','metashieldp', 'flier', 'ffqnimbleflier', 'fastflier']

This is what I put into the various files help?

stumpy

Did you check the other two things I mentioned? Neither your strings.txt entries nor the ffxmulti.py line would cause the attribute to not show up at all in attributes list of the game's character editor.

The string entries look fine, though "temperature" is missing an 'a'.

The end of each line in ffxmulti.py needs a comma. Even if it's the last combo attribute, it will save you headaches to have it there.

Failed_Hero

it is showing up now but as ATTRIB_THERMITE and not working when I use FFXEdit ( control center).  thanks for the help

stumpy

Assuming you made the fixes I suggested above, I don't know why it wouldn't be showing up in the FFX Control Centre. Maybe someone with more experience in attribute customization can chime in on that.

To get the strings right, you might want to grab the LangTest utility, unzip it, run it, and post the langtest.report file here. It will give us some info on your language settings in FFEdit for your thermite attribute.

Failed_Hero

So I just realized that the attribute combos that are pre-programed despite me having entered them in FFEdit aren't working either. so what is going on.  These should be easily enter by activating the name in FFEdit and the attribute name and descriptions show up but the powers will no show up in the Control Centre, so I a m very confused.  I would love to be able to make suites of powers for my original characters that would help tremendously in creating characters.

stumpy

What exactly do you mean that they "aren't working"? You have to be pretty specific about what you are doing, what you expect to see happen, and what see happening or not happening instead. Use examples, if you are making changes to a file, say which application you are using, etc. It's hard to diagnose a problem remotely without knowing just what is going on at your end. Moreover, if someone suggests that you try something or post something, make sure you do it or mention why you couldn't because they might have had an idea of what was going wrong but need some confirmation before suggesting a fix.

Anyway, to start out, describe what's going wrong in detail and also post your whole ffxmulti.py file (use the code tags, ). There may be something in that that is a problem, or there could be something else, or more than one thing, but let's start there.

Failed_Hero

Sorry:
First I looked in the ffxmulti file in Mission/Script and found the attribute combos
Then I looked in the strings file in the Lang folder and saw that the ffxmutli combs already had descriptions
  I went in to FFEdit and went attibutes typed in and attribute name (ex Hulk or zatana) the attributes name and description appear in the game I add them to a character. 
   I save the character Ragnorak
   I go the FFX Control Centre and look under the Ragnorak file the things that are listed in the zatanna combo are not added under the file (i.e. weather control, puppermaster, etc.)

I previously attempted to add an attribute combo called thermite named after a character it includes 'overheated','frostbite','metashieldp', 'flier', 'ffqnimbleflier', 'fastflier'
I followed the code for the ffxmulti file and save it
I followed the code for the strings file and saved it.
I got the attibute error (attribute_thermite_01) and of course the attributes in the combo are not selectable in FFX Control Centre.

I did not post the langtest file because when I ran it it froze giving me no report I tried built in attributes and combos

ffxmulti
#first entry here is the name of the group attribute youve created and added to attributes.dat via FFEdit
#the remaining ones are ffx attributes which get activated by anyone who buys this power
#attribute names should be all lower case, and no spaces.
#attributes that get grouped should be FFX ones or from the following list:
#
#fasthealing, unheroic, heroic, extraheroic, nimble, slowmoving, heavylifter, unstablemolecules,
#timid, bezerker, unbeliever, disciplined, level-headed, grim resolve, shake it off, flier.
# Jumper and density control are only very roughly approximated, as they use clumsy jumper instead
# of jumper - use them only if you really can't find a workaround.)

ffxMultis=[
['environmentcontrol','envcontrollocal','envcontrolglobal'],
['powercosmic','metastrength','invulnerable2','solarpowered',],
['thoughtform','fasthealing','ephemeral','metabolic','telepathy','glassjaw',],
['ffqgymnast', 'nimble', 'acrobatic', 'superleaper', 'ffqlowjumper'],
['ffqtrapezist', 'nimble', 'acrobatic', 'superleaper', 'ffqlowjumper', 'ffqropeswinger'],
['ffqjumpingjack', 'ffqhighjumper', 'ffqlongjumper', 'superleaper'],
['ffqpagangod', 'ffqimmortal', 'ffqextradimensional'],
['ffqprowler', 'chameleon', 'nocturnal', 'ffqloner', 'ffqtracking'],
['ffqairsuperiority', 'ffqnimbleflier', 'fastflier', 'flier'],
['sorcerer', 'firecontrol', 'sensitive', 'guardianp', 'summoner2', 'groupteleport'],
['invulnerable34', 'invulnerable3', 'invulnerable4'],
['invulnerable22a34', 'invulnerable2', 'invulnerable2a', 'invulnerable3', 'invulnerable4'],
['naturegoddess','puppetn','nemesis','pheremones'],
['currentsapper','absorption'],
['superhuman','vulnerability','invulnerable2','acrobatic','telepathy','flier'],
['ffqrealitymanipulation','ffqrealitymanipchaos','ffqrealitymaniporder'],
['trueinvulnerability10','invulnerable2','grimresolve'],
['trueinvulnerability15','invulnerable2a','grimresolve'],
['trueinvulnerability20','invulnerable3','grimresolve'],
['trueinvulnerability30','invulnerable4','grimresolve'],
['lesserregenerationplus','lesserregeneration','fasthealing'],
['regenerativeplus','superhealer','fasthealing'],
['growth','slowmoving','heavyfooted','heavylifter'],
['strongflier','fastflier','heavylifter'],
['strongleaper','superleaper','heavylifter'],
['airwalker','invulnerable2a','disciplined','fastflier','sensitive','grimresolve','shakeitoff'],
['adversary','invulnerable3','grimresolve','ffqdisguise','ffqrealitymanipulation','telepathy','illusionist','mimic','shakeitoff'],
['box1','fastflier','heavylifter','invulnerable'],
['sasquatch','superleaper','heavylifter','invulnerable'],
['amazo','heavylifter','shakeitoff','fasthealing','plasmasculptor'],
['animalman','heavylifter','superleaper','telepathy','nimble','chameleon'],
['annihilus','flier','heavylifter','invulnerable2','grimresolve','metabolic','shakeitoff'],
['antimonitor','sensitive','slowmoving','invulnerable2a','illusionist','supertk','shakeitoff'],
['arnimzola','invulnerable0','groupmind'],
['watcher','sensitive','astral','supertk','ffqdisguise','illusionist','shakeitoff'],
['hela','flier','sensitive','illusionist','fastflier','levelheaded','astral','shakeitoff'],
['loki','sensitive','astral','invulnerable','puppetn','puppetu','illusionist','ffqimmortal'],
['odin','sensitive','astral','invulnerable2','superhealer','disciplined','unbeliever','coordinator','shakeitoff','levelheaded'],
['surtur','shakeitoff','invulnerable2a','slowmoving','heavyfooted','heavylifter','disciplined','unbeliever','overheated'],
['ymir','shakeitoff','invulnerable','slowmoving','heavyfooted','heavylifter','disciplined','ffqimmortal'],
['olympiangod', 'ffqimmortal','shakeitoff','heavylifter','fasthealing','fastflier'],
['hulk','invulnerable','ffqdesesperate','superleaper','heavylifter'],
['starfox', 'lesserregeneration', 'fasthealing', 'fastflier','shakeitoff'],
['zzzax','fastflier','borrowedtime','urbandweller','shortcirc'],
['zatanna','earthcontrol','firecontrol','icecontrol','weathercontrol','puppetn','supertk'],
['thermite','overheated','frostbite','metashieldp','ffqairsuperiority'],
]

stumpy

Thanks. The details help.

I quick side note is that you may have to restart the Control Centre after you make a change to a custom hero in the game or to ffxmulti.py. And, of course, you have to quit the game before you do language file generation in FFEdit.

Quote from: Failed_Hero on May 27, 2008, 09:22:38 PM
Sorry:
First I looked in the ffxmulti file in Mission/Script and found the attribute combos
Then I looked in the strings file in the Lang folder and saw that the ffxmutli combs already had descriptions
  I went in to FFEdit and went attibutes typed in and attribute name (ex Hulk or zatana) the attributes name and description appear in the game I add them to a character. 
   I save the character Ragnorak
   I go the FFX Control Centre and look under the Ragnorak file the things that are listed in the zatanna combo are not added under the file (i.e. weather control, puppermaster, etc.)

The problem may be that your thermite attribute still has the combo attribute ffqairsuperiority in it, instead of the other attributes separately. I can't be sure if that is causing trouble for the Control Centre, but it might be. I would fix that first.

Quote from: Failed_Hero on May 27, 2008, 09:22:38 PMI previously attempted to add an attribute combo called thermite named after a character it includes 'overheated','frostbite','metashieldp', 'flier', 'ffqnimbleflier', 'fastflier'
I followed the code for the ffxmulti file and save it
I followed the code for the strings file and saved it.
I got the attibute error (attribute_thermite_01) and of course the attributes in the combo are not selectable in FFX Control Centre.

By "attribute error", I assume you mean the attribute was listed as ATTRIB_THERMITE_01 in the in-game attributes list... That means that the language files weren't properly generated.

Quote from: Failed_Hero on May 27, 2008, 09:22:38 PMI did not post the langtest file because when I ran it it froze giving me no report I tried built in attributes and combos

Shoot. That info would be very helpful and I thought I had that set to still at least finish and write something in langtest.exe.report, even if it encountered a problem of some sort. Are there any .log or .err files in the folder where langtest.exe is? Are there any files there newer than 2007? If so, post them.

That report file should give enough info to help figure out what's going on with your language file generation. Can you give an example of what are you entering at its prompts? For example ffx3 and thermite. Does it even get that far?

You can also snap a screenshot of the Options tab of FFEdit and post it. That would give an idea of how the paths are set up.

Failed_Hero

I entered ffx3 followed by zatanna (this when I was testing for errors there) and the tester looked like itw as going to run and crashed.

I then tried a built in attribut claws.  I typed in ffx3 and claws and the same thing happened i'll post the screen shoot of the options tonight

Failed_Hero

stumpy

Two things:

I think you want to set your Secondary Data Path to: C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data
And you want to set your Output Directory to C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx3\Lang\English

That may clear up your language generation issues. Try that, generate your language files, then then see what shows up in the game's attribute list.

Failed_Hero

they are showing up in the attribute list but they are not working in the control centre. Basically the attributes are showing up in the list but I cannot set the settings appropriately to brand the characters

Failed_Hero

they are showing up in the attribute list but they are not working in the control centre. Basically the attributes are showing up in the list but I cannot set the settings appropriately to brand the characters plus whenever I try to generate the the files FFEdit freezes

GogglesPizanno

Generating language files with FFEdit takes a few minutes and makes it look like it freezes...just give it time
An alternative is to use M25's language generator.. its like a gazillion times faster.

http://ezscript.wikispaces.com/Mod+Tools

Failed_Hero

thanks GogglesPizanno I realized this few minutes ago, and wait, however to no avail there is still no impact on the combined attributes

Failed_Hero

After changing those paths Attempting to run rumble room shuts down the game, I've tried butting them back right and I can't get them to work.  This is really upsetting me

Previsionary

Quote from: Failed_Hero on May 31, 2008, 10:41:21 AM
After changing those paths Attempting to run rumble room shuts down the game, I've tried butting them back right and I can't get them to work.  This is really upsetting me

At this point, you should know that posting log files when stuff like that happens is uber useful. You should also list any and all changes you may have made to the game in ffedit or to the general struncture of the game beyond adding your attribute.

If all comes to fail, you may need to backup and just reinstall.

Failed_Hero

Ok got my game back.  So I'm going to start over with these combos. I also have all of the pre built combs loaded and working.  So I can go back to asking for the scripting helping

jtharris86

Don't mean to thread jack, but how many attributes can you put into a combination?

Epimethee

That was no threadjack at all, IMO. :)

There's no specific hard limit (well, there is one, but , it's *much* higher than the total number of attributes). However, the more FFX attributes = the bigger performance hit. Of course some attributes require much more processing and memory than others (say, Anti-Missiles Defence vs Resilient).

jtharris86