• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Sub-Zero vs Batman?! (Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe)

Started by Volsung, April 18, 2008, 01:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Volsung

Today, Midway Games confirmed what had been rumored for a while: the first next-generation Mortal Kombat title, up until now called "Mortal Kombat 8" by the community, is officially titled Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe. As the title suggests, it will be a crossover with the characters and setting of DC Comics. Further information about the game should be forthcoming.

In the meantime, a source within Midway sent us this image, which is the first promotional image from Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe; it features two of the characters from the game: Sub-Zero and Batman.
First promo image from Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe

http://kotaku.com/381294/next-mortal-kombat-ismk-v-dc
http://www.mortalkombatonline.com/

:blink:

Previsionary

this possible game makes a lot of sense. It's the obvious way to go to combat the Street fighter vs./Capcom vs. series that happened to include Marvel. I so totally approve.

Now take all of that and apply the opposite and my actual opinion is formed. *nods sagely*

Carravaggio

murs47

Quote from: Previsionary on April 18, 2008, 01:44:19 AM
this possible game makes a lot of sense. It's the obvious way to go to combat the Street fighter vs./Capcom vs. series that happened to include Marvel. I so totally approve.

Now take all of that and apply the opposite and my actual opinion is formed. *nods sagely*

Haha....too funny Prev. :lol:

Seriously, write a Deadpool or Morph mini and submit it to Marvel. ^_^

I'm actually looking forward to this. I think the premise of the game is complete nonsense. But, how often do you get to control your favorite DC characters in video games these days?

Placebo

considering midway have announced there will be "little to no blood" and "no fatalities" it looks to me to be more of a dc game featuring MK characters, as opposed to the way it's being advertised

AfghanAnt

Capcom and Marvel did is first and from what I saw better...

Previsionary

Quote from: Placebo on April 18, 2008, 08:08:55 AM
considering midway have announced there will be "little to no blood" and "no fatalities" it looks to me to be more of a dc game featuring MK characters, as opposed to the way it's being advertised

The blood and fatalities make up the fun factor when it comes to mortal kombat. When they had limited blood back during the snes days, the game barely sold, but the sega version did. That's like one of the main features of the MK games so it'd be odd if they strip that off of them. Besides that, MK's style is like really dark and mature when compared to DC's. The games/ideas can't mix as naturally as Street fighter/Marvel did because they pretty much tackle two different ends of entertainment. One emphasizes blood and gore, while the other emphasizes superheroes fighting evil and being moral. Besides that, I'm pretty sure most of the DC heroes would over power any non-god/non-magical character in MK, so either one side is going to be uberized or one side is gonna be power stripped.

So, if this is truly going to happen, DC should've chosen someone that has some type of success with crossover games and probably should have gone with a company that has characters on the DC power scale or created all new characters. Was SNK too busy? :P

the_ultimate_evil

Pyroclasm

I would have preferred "KOF - DC Edition" or "DC vs. SNK" only because Capcom already did their with Marvel.  Though how cool would it have been if it had been DC vs. Capcom?  It could have been a stepping stone toward "Marvel vs. Capcom vs. DC".  :lol:

BentonGrey

If Aquaman is in, and if they make it for XBox, which I know they won't, I would consider getting it.  I think it's pretty stupid, they'd be much better off just putting their heads together and giving the world a DC vs. Marvel game......THAT would sell.

the_ultimate_evil

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/mortalkombat/news.html?sid=6189513&tag=topslot;title;1&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot

Apprently the MK team is using Alex Ross art to model the DC characters, and the story was written by the MK team and two DC writers,

Boon said there will be 'fatality like' finishing moves but they most likely wont be called fatalities. Boon is really trying to push the limit with how violent the DC characters can be.

Gamespot has seen a bunch of the other DC and MK characters that are going to be used and they said there is lots of good stuff and a few surprises....

gengoro

April fools?  :blink:  Topcow/Image vs Mk would make a little bit more sense.  I dont really have high hopes anyway since Mks fighting engine sucks compared to most fighters.  Armageddons combat was so clunky and robotic.  What they need to do is make another MK shaolin monks game.  That was pretty damn fun.

UnkoMan

Hey, the falling through the air and punching each other looked cool...

That's basically all I've got here. I can't think of a reason for this to happen.

BWPS

[spoiler]I would have preferred "KOF - DC Edition" or "DC vs. SNK" only because Capcom already did their with Marvel.   [/spoiler]
This.

This does not look good. Batman/almost every DC guy is cool because he doesn't kill people. MK is popular anyway, because people get spikes thrown through them and their heads knocked off and the blood it comes like fountains. They're going to DE-GORE Mortal Kombat?

Previsionary

X-play did a little spot on this game and showed off the one minute trailer. From them i learned the game will have at least 20 characters, heroes and villains, and it will span the MK maps and some well known DC areas. Also, they made mention of superman.

I want to know who even thought of this idea, how they suggested it, how they got the DC/WB guys to go along with it (I suspect drugs were placed in their beverages :P), and how they thought the risk would benefit them in the long run. I mean, I'm pretty much open to anything, but these two things come from extremely different backgrounds and each draws criticism and attention from extremely different things. With this game, however, it feels like both sides have to lose something that's part of their core character just to make a unique crossover...using magic. Maybe DC will hit the jackpot and have a really good game on their hands for once...at least it won't be a complete clone of something that came before (IE: JLH).

GhostMachine

Personally, I'd rather see Tekken vs. DC; I can't be the only one who'd love to see Batman counter Heihachi's uppercut then knock him silly with a roundhouse kick followed by a batarang throw.

NomadX

Bane should be in the game and have a back breaker as his finishing move. At least then you'd be able to recreate an actual comic event >.> Well at least they're not going to put actual fatalities in....I just can't imagine Subzero ripping into Superman's back and pulling out his spine. He'd break his fist trying.

Carravaggio

well i watched that trailer and each and every concern i had about the game...was just validated.
good luck with this guys, I'm going to take an unusually tact here (for me) and bury my head in the sand...and pretend this just doesn't exist.

Figure Fan

I couldn't believe this. My first thoughts were similar to all of your guys'.

Might be cool. Who knows. I find it very, VERY odd as a crossover, though..

zuludelta

Far be it from me to slag a game before it's released, but man, which stiff over in licensing approved this potential gaming turd?

I guess part of my negative reaction to this game stems from the fact that I've never really liked Mortal Kombat as a fighting game (the first movie was good cheesy fun, though)... negligible depth in the gameplay, and gimmicky gore was pretty much the one thing it had going for it (although the last couple of MK games had some neat improvements).

I have a hard time imagining how this could be anymore successful than say, EA's Marvel Nemesis from a few years ago (the game did mediocre sales and had tepid reviews). It's going to be hard to replicate the massive crossover success of fighting games like X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Capcom vs. Marvel these days, what with competitive "real world" arcades on the wane (the true breeding ground of fighting game popularity), and on-line virtual arcade fighting game technology still in its early evolution. 

Previsionary

Quote from: zuludelta on April 21, 2008, 02:50:09 PM
[...]

I have a hard time imagining how this could be anymore successful than say, EA's Marvel Nemesis from a few years ago (the game did mediocre sales and had tepid reviews). It's going to be hard to replicate the massive crossover success of fighting games like X-Men vs. Street Fighter and Capcom vs. Marvel these days, what with competitive "real world" arcades on the wane (the true breeding ground of fighting game popularity), and on-line virtual arcade fighting game technology still in its early evolution. 

It's hard to believe that online fighting is still not as great as the other genres considering it's been online since...Dreamcast. I know for sure that dreamcast had street fighter 2 (first street fighter game to be playable online), street fighter alpha 3 (downloads/leadership board), some DoA online functionality (don't think it was online competition) and darkstalkers online matches on dialup/broadband, but I guess with all the improvements games have had over the years, it's still a little tough to get perfect online framerates for fighters. *shrugs*

zuludelta

Quote from: Previsionary on April 21, 2008, 04:02:33 PM
It's hard to believe that online fighting is still not as great as the other genres considering it's been online since...Dreamcast. I know for sure that dreamcast had street fighter 2 (first street fighter game to be playable online), street fighter alpha 3 (downloads/leadership board), some DoA online functionality (don't think it was online competition) and darkstalkers online matches on dialup/broadband, but I guess with all the improvements games have had over the years, it's still a little tough to get perfect online framerates for fighters. *shrugs*

Well, Virtua Fighter 5 allows online gameplay on the XBox360 version (although the reviews I've read have been mixed), and the upcoming Tekken 6 is supposed to have a robust online competitive component, but yeah, the glacially slow incorporation of real online competition in the current-gen and next-gen fighting games leads me to think that it's one of the reasons why fighting games aren't as popular as they used to be outside of the hardcore arcade market.

lugaru

I do enjoy mortal combat but compared to street fighter this sure is sloppy seconds. Also having played superman and wonderwoman in MUGEN I suspect the characters will either feel super nerfed or uber in this game.

detourne_me

I'd say the online nintendo fighting games are pretty big though,  look at the super smash brothers brawl.
and on the DS the Bleach games have a great community, as well as the Shonen Jump fighting games.  (It might just be in Asia though,  heck i even play against some of my students online in Bleach)

Previsionary

Quote from: detourne_me on April 22, 2008, 03:26:46 PM
I'd say the online nintendo fighting games are pretty big though,  look at the super smash brothers brawl.
and on the DS the Bleach games have a great community, as well as the Shonen Jump fighting games.  (It might just be in Asia though,  heck i even play against some of my students online in Bleach)

those are also games with a simplified fighting system and aren't nearly as in-depth or as balanced. I'm assuming that those games don't rely as heavily on frame rates as street fighter, tekken, etc. do, so online playing wouldn't be much of a hassle there, I'd think.

zuludelta

Quote from: detourne_me on April 22, 2008, 03:26:46 PM

Part of those games' better success online is due to the better broadband infrastructure in industrialized areas of Asia (particularly in South Korea, which probably has the best broadband service in the world)... what passes for typical residential "broadband" in the States is definitely not the same cost and bandwidth-wise with what you would find in Seoul.

Also, as Prev has touched upon, games such as Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the Shonen Jump games aren't what you might call "hardcore" fighting games... they are probably way more forgiving in terms of the "just frame" input times, so online lag is less of an issue. 

docdelorean88

Strange cross, but i find it quite exilarating and interesting. You have to say it was not a predictable crossover, now was it?

MJB

Just discovered this game. As a big fan of the MK series I am optimistic that this one will surpass the ill received "Armageddon".

-MJB

|