• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Stars, Periodic Tables, and Tattooes

Started by BentonGrey, February 28, 2008, 10:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, I've been reading the reprints of the 70's Justice Society comics, and I've taken something of a shine to the Star-Spangled Kid.  I don't know quite what it is, but there is something about his costume that I like...maybe a vague memory of something similar from the halcyon days of my childhood.  Whatever it is, I want to add him into the DCUG (along with Stripsey, of course), and while his Golden Age stats are easy enough to determine, what should his modern incarnation look like?  He's got the cosmic convertor belt, but how should I differentiate that from Starman's powerset?  For that matter, What should I do with Stargirl, who I am adding as well, to differentiate her from both?  Here's what Starman looks like:

Str: 3
Speed: 4
End: 4
Eng: 9
Agility: 4

Starcrossed punch: a medium powered punch
Cosmic Rod Blast: high powered, long ranged energy beam with medium knockback for low energy
Cosmic Rod Cage: High magnitude stasis attack for low energy
Gravity Beam: High magnitude density Max beam for low energy
Gravity Increase: Area version of Gravity beam for more power
Gravity Reversal: Cone attack that sends everyone flying for medium energy
Cosmic Rod: Active defense set on absorb for medium cost

Anyone have any ideas?

:EDIT: Also, does anyone have any ideas for Mr. Element or the Tattooed Man?  I've got Kissaints' excellent skins/skopes for these two, but I'm running a little low on creativity for powers.  I know what their powers ARE, but I could use a few ideas on how to implement them.  I checked out the Flash archives where Element shows up, and I remember thinking "ohh, I'll use this, this and this..." but I can't remember what tricks of his those were.  For Tattooed man, it's more a question of what fx would fit what tattoos, and what would be useful in the first place?  I want to make him able to take on GL, but also be able to be tackled by Aquaman or Green Arrow.

Talavar

The original Star-spangled kid is before my time, but Stargirl has his belt cosmic converter and Starman's staff, so she should basically have the powers provided by both.

HumanTon

Sylvester started out as a hand-to-hand fighter whereas Ted did not. So the Kid should be more agile than Ted, and arguably his cosmic rod blasts should be faster as well, because he's quicker on the draw then Ted.

On the other hand Ted created the cosmic rod whereas Sylvester doesn't actually understand how it works. So arguably Sylvester should get fewer different Cosmic rod powers.

BentonGrey

Thanks for the ideas guys!  Yeah HT, I have 'ol Sylvester with some pumped up melee powers, to simulate him using the belt for the direct approach...maybe I should give him a 300 percenter too, in order to simulate him using the converter belt to pump himself up even more.  In the comics I've read the darn thing seems to work too similar to Silver Age GL's ring, able to do just about anything, so I haven't gotten too much help from their.  I like you're idea about paring back his powers, and maybe I should increase the cost of some of them as well......CURSE the energy system!  That makes it difficult to have subtle gradations.  Which powers do you think I should curtail, and in addition, are there any other powers that Starman himself should have?  At the moment, the kid has got Starman's attributes (flier, lightspeed, strange visitor) as well as acrobatic and nimble.  He's also faster and more agile than Ted.  Any other thoughts?

See edit on first post!

BentonGrey

Also, does anyone have any ideas for Mr. Element or the Tattooed Man?  I've got Kissaints' excellent skins/skopes for these two, but I'm running a little low on creativity for powers.  I know what their powers ARE, but I could use a few ideas on how to implement them.  I checked out the Flash archives where Element shows up, and I remember thinking "ohh, I'll use this, this and this..." but I can't remember what tricks of his those were.  For Tattooed man, it's more a question of what fx would fit what tattoos, and what would be useful in the first place?  I want to make him able to take on GL, but also be able to be tackled by Aquaman or Green Arrow.

Panther_Gunn

After doing a little reading, it looks like Mr. Element was pretty similar to Dr. Alchemy (aside from being the same person).  When I made my DA hero file, I based it off of Element Lad, and mostly just tweaked names & FX.  I suppose it would be similar to having different GL's having the same powers, but different personality flavors.

What was the "lifespan" for the activated tattoos?  Could some of them be summonable creatures?  One FX I'd use would be one of the chains, for a stasis attack (could be the chains on the standard anchor tattoo).  Is there a comprehensive list of what tattoos he actually has?  Another way to attack it, would be to think of what effects you want to do, and then what sort of tattoos could simulate that.

BentonGrey

Thanks for the response PG!  I figure that he's got to have more power as Dr. Alchemy, right?  What I've done is based Mr. Element off of Metamorpho, having him have various beam attacks like a radium beam that does radiation damage, a liquid hydrogen beam that does cold damage, and a sulfur beam that does fire damage.  I added a "cesium pellets" attack that gave him multiple explosive projectiles.  I want a few more options, but I can't think of much.  Still, I feel like that makes him a fairly tough opponent. 

As far as the Tattooed man, I definitely think that at least a few of the tattoos should be summonables.  I think their lifespan was pretty indistinct in the early comics, and I was just reading the new Checkmate series (got them through the library so I don't give DC any of my dough) and he was able to summon a dragon and let it fight for him.  I think that your chain suggestion is definitely a good idea.  I suppose I really just need to open the game up and look through various FX, that's probably the best way to go about it.