• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Champions Online

Started by captainspud, February 20, 2008, 01:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

GrizzlyBearTalon

Previsionary

I just wanna know, can it honestly claim it's the first action MMORPG when the japanese/koreans have been doing the same thing for free for several years now? Maybe the first superhero action mmorpg. Nitpicks aside, the gameplay trailer looks interesting.

GrizzlyBearTalon

I kept pausing the trailer when it showed the created characters (at least I think that is what they were) so I could see them better, heh. I saw a hunched over animalistic pose (JOY), a cockroach head, snake skin and some viking looking fellow.

Bah... screenshot power!

gengoro

Quote from: Lionheart on February 21, 2008, 12:51:59 PM
Quote from: captainspud on February 21, 2008, 06:49:46 AM
My #1 wish for this is for them to scrap the "fight legions and legions of faceless drones" gameplay of CoH. I'm a superhero, I don't want to fight goons with guns. I want to fight villains-- one on one. I want a knock-down fight that takes five to ten minutes to resolve.

Having some gang-based factions is fine, but it really tears the thematics away when all you're fighting are goons, and you need backup to take on even the smallest name-brand villains.

You just identified my biggest pet peeve with CoH. I want to fight costumed villains! And not just in task forces. It's really annoying when you get to the big, bad gang leader, he looks just like all the other gang members, just with more power.

Also, the fact that when you enter a mission (having played for a while), that it only takes a few minutes before you know the layout of the entire base -- because you've been in a bazillion bases with exactly the same layout already.

That's where I like the open world layout of LOTRO better; every zone, every location is unique.

The strength to the CoH method is that you can instance the missions and make them scalable to group size. Scalable missions are great. Now if someone could just figure out how to incorporate scalable missions to a more open world environment.

Being able to create your own archvillain is an awesome concept for storyline players. With my own pen-and-paper games, I love creating backstories that include arch-enemies.  :)

Thats one of the reasons I could never get into coh or any other mmo.  Felt like an endless beatem up w/o the beatem up gameplay.  If they change that I might reconsider.

Quote from: GrizzlyBearTalon on February 22, 2008, 04:09:20 PM
All I have to say is that it has been my experience that there are just as many jerks and idiots playing PC games as consoles anymore, heck anymore it might even be the same idiot a lot of the times.

Anyways, it looks nice and pretty so far. Honestly I think a console centric control scheme is actually for the best. The traditional MMO gameplay just doesn't fit the superhero genre perfectly, there is a certain level of distance inherent in the system that most people just look past after a while. A more full in control no delay control scheme sounds much more heroic honestly. This might end up playing more like an action game ala Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden but with power usage ala Marvel Ultimate Alliance.

I am curious to see if there will be any destruction of environments or being able to pick anything or anyone up.

Now if that happened I dont think Id ever stop playing.  Hell if they could somehow merge that gameplay with a game as open ended as our own freedom force, Id never buy another game again :thumbup: But by looking at the forum posts, that may be too "twitchy" for most.  Probably tech issues to boot. 

detourne_me

Looks like Podmark in the bottom right picture  :D

i like these cell shaded graphics!  this time when we see clashing costumes from fashion-blind players it won't look so hideous!

I'm surprised how many Korean MMo's there are,  but seriously, kids only play four different ones it seems... Starcraft, Maple Story, Hellgate, and Lineage. and they play them ALL the time,  you should see their faces light up when i tell them Maple Story is coming to DS.

bredon7777

Quote from: captainspud on February 21, 2008, 06:49:46 AM
My #1 wish for this is for them to scrap the "fight legions and legions of faceless drones" gameplay of CoH. I'm a superhero, I don't want to fight goons with guns. I want to fight villains-- one on one. I want a knock-down fight that takes five to ten minutes to resolve.

Having some gang-based factions is fine, but it really tears the thematics away when all you're fighting are goons, and you need backup to take on even the smallest name-brand villains.

They may have corrected this since I got out, but I left CoH because I got tired of a mission tree that seemed to consist entirely of "Beat up 5 of [insert group]; OK now rescue 5 hostages; OK now defuse 5 bombs; OK now rescue 5 hostages TIED to 5 bombs; ok now Beat up 10 of [insert group]", etc..etc...

Story, darnit! I want STORY!  And if CO can deliver story, I'll at least give it a try (provided they do the gameplay card thing- I'm not giving anyone permission to stick something on my Visa month after month). 

Actually, that's a good question - anyone see if they'll be gameplay cards for this?

JKCarrier

First thing that jumps out at me from the trailer: No capes???

RTTingle

Quote from: JKCarrier on February 23, 2008, 08:05:37 AM
First thing that jumps out at me from the trailer: No capes???

I'll be damned.  You're right.  LOL

Some other interesting news.  Teams will be maxed out at 5.

It appears there will be classes.  Sure you can pick any powers you want... but having certain classes and powers together offers an advantage.

RTT

Pyroclasm

I don't mind their version of "classes" as it sounds closer to the archetype system of Marvel Superheroes or Heroes Unlimited.  Pick an archetype for bonuses and flavor, not for an ability tree. 

UnfluffyBunny

* UnfluffyBunny is intrigued

Midnight

Best scans I could come up with. Enjoy.

[Mod] Fixed the links. [/Mod]

Kommando

DMenacer

With as many people that we have in FR and its misc groups, would some more of you go sign up for the Champions Forum, Once there post in the FR superteam thread and also in the beta thread if you were also a beta player in COX (CoHaV). Posting in it if you were a COX beta player (CoHaV) might get you a email to get into the Champions beta.

RTTingle

Quote from: DMenacer on February 24, 2008, 04:27:16 PM
With as many people that we have in FR and its misc groups, would some more of you go sign up for the Champions Forum, Once there post in the FR superteam thread and also in the beta thread if you were also a beta player in COX (CoHaV). Posting in it if you were a COX beta player (CoHaV) might get you a email to get into the Champions beta.

Which Beta thread?  I see a couple... and nothing official.

RTT

Tortuga

Niftiriffic!

All I want is to have a power customization tool similar to FF in an MMO.

And a bunch of other good stuff.

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: RTTingle on February 24, 2008, 05:49:41 PM

RTT

The only official quote about beta stated that when it does start they would shout it out so hard from the rooftops and make such a ruckus about it that you wouldn't possibly miss when it starts.

RTTingle

Quote from: GrizzlyBearTalon on February 24, 2008, 11:04:38 PM
Quote from: RTTingle on February 24, 2008, 05:49:41 PM

RTT

The only official quote about beta stated that when it does start they would shout it out so hard from the rooftops and make such a ruckus about it that you wouldn't possibly miss when it starts.

Yeah, thats what I thought.

Anyways.  Anxious for the game.  Willing to give it a spin, but I've got this to say...

I'm not at all interested in the cut scenes, animated faces or the seperate fingers.  Thats like the cherry on top a sundae.  Its nice, but it doesn't make or break it for me.  I'm hoping for some great depth in the customization of the character and powers.  It needs to blow me away and do a lot more for me at launch.  What I'm hearing is nice, but it looks like at launch --- it's not really going to be much different than COH was.  I spent three years on COH and still don't quite have what I'm looking for.  No way in hell am I going to spend 3 years playing on another game waiting for it as well.

RTT

Revenant

Ohh check out the screenshot of the flaming robot baddie..... Those particle flames look totally WICKED

I wonder how many characters will be allowed per account?  And if there will be copyright protection for licensed DC and Marvel characters?  Actually.. that's probably a given.

UnkoMan

Yeah, the characters look really fantastic. Might be weird, but heavy character customization is a big part of whether or not I like a game (no wonder I've stuck with FF so long). Rock Band? I spend tons of time making my character look just so. Wrestling games? Hardly play them, but I make a ton of guys. So on and so forth. And if they look good, even better... The characters in the trailer looked fantastic. I can't wait to see what I can come up with in this game.

But, though I am excited about that sort of thing, I hope the game will be something more. Frankly, I've done CoH for short periods, and always felt it had the gameplay all wrong. It's a multiplayer super hero game. Clicking and waiting for powers to work seems wrong to me. Not frentic enough. That's why I hope this does play a bit more like MUA, as speculated. Just liven it up. Chalk full of quick decision making, and fast paced action, but it also allows for puzzle solving and stealth, and hopefully other ways to complete missions.

Tortuga

I'd like to see some kind of team combo design implemented.  Player 1 fires off Power C, Player 2 fires off Power A and Player 3 fires off Power E and then KABOOM!! big explosion type thing.

BlueBard

I do hope it's not too terribly difficult for us middle-aged, all-thumbs guys to master.  If it plays too much like an FPS, I doubt I'd have much fun.

"Sorry, you just couldn't mash that button fast enough to beat the bad guy."

Camma

Quote from: BlueBard on February 27, 2008, 12:06:17 PM
I do hope it's not too terribly difficult for us middle-aged, all-thumbs guys to master.  If it plays too much like an FPS, I doubt I'd have much fun.

"Sorry, you just couldn't mash that button fast enough to beat the bad guy."

It can't be too complicated.  If you look at the info Middy posted as pics above one blurb says the UI, thought not shown in the screenshots, has been optimized for consol users.

Aaaand that leads me to my grip.  How good can some of the systems be if this game is a consol AND PC game?  Obviously consol graphics have come quite far and thats not the issue.  But what about the UI and chat?  It worries me.

Don't get me wrong tho, i think this is big.  Ive been itchin' for something new and just not sure where to satify my itch.  CoH was a great experience...hey it brought me to all you wierdos....but it is definetly time for something new for the community (ie not just LOTR or WoW for the fantasy freaks and TR for the sci-fi nerds).

electro

I was initinally upset with the news of the Marvel MMO being cancelled but after reading the new Game Informer i am now even more excited than ever - This game seems to give me the little things that i kept wishing would happen with new Issues of CoH/V - I still have alot of Ideas that i know will never happen like Giant chars, flying into outer space straight from the planet surface, aquatic powers, shrinking powers to a sub atomic world, Throwing moves etc...  I know the artical says a moon mission but i'm sure it's just jump threw a portal and bame your on the moon kinda thing - The ability to make a Nemisis is downright cool & i can honestly say i wouldn't have thought of that - As for being on the 360 which is the way i will play it sounds great - I can't wait to talk smack to every dumbazz I run into that has a Villainous looking Hero (I hate that) - Now that I know this is really going to happen i'm kinda thinking about taking a break from my addiction to CoH unless NCSoft can come up with an issue that's worth a crap - That wedding junk they pulled last month was about the lamest thing i have ever seen in the 3 awesome years of playing the game - Anyway i scanned all 5 pages from the Game Informer for those of you who just want to see everything Champions - It doesn't really have anything diff from the web site thow :blink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/hulkgray/hulkgray2/champ1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/hulkgray/hulkgray2/champ2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/hulkgray/hulkgray2/champ3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/hulkgray/hulkgray2/champ4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/hulkgray/hulkgray2/champ5.jpg

Midnight

Quote from: Camma on February 27, 2008, 01:13:15 PMAaaand that leads me to my grip.  How good can some of the systems be if this game is a consol AND PC game?  Obviously consol graphics have come quite far and thats not the issue.  But what about the UI and chat?  It worries me.

Probably going to have built in voice chat.

Previsionary

Quote from: Midnight on February 28, 2008, 08:50:46 AM
Quote from: Camma on February 27, 2008, 01:13:15 PMAaaand that leads me to my grip.  How good can some of the systems be if this game is a consol AND PC game?  Obviously consol graphics have come quite far and thats not the issue.  But what about the UI and chat?  It worries me.

Probably going to have built in voice chat.

let's also not forget that most consoles have keyboards, so, they may go with some prearranged responses, regular chat, and built in voice chat. But, I expect everything to be simplified when compared to CoH...though, if they want to stay semi complex, then it can still be done. I mean, FFXI has a pretty complex GUI and it spans across three systems (PC, Xbox 360, and ps2) and it seems to be doing well.

Camma

Thats good to hear, i never knew FFXI was cross platform, i thought i was mutually exclusive servers.

Well as i read more and more about features CO is looking tastier and tastier

*runs to cancel his LOTR account*

Yes i only allow myself two MMO atta time, but then i dont count the Pirates of the Carribean Online free trial since that was a short 7 day trial run.

GrizzlyBearTalon

I just read through the Lead Desinger Interview and I hope that stuff he mentions towards the end is for real and not just him running off at the mouth. I saw some lizard beasts in a screenshot so hopefully what he is talking about really happens in the game.  In case you are wondering he mentions a moonbase & monster island.  Man I really wanna punch a dinosaur so bad... :gbthungry

Alaric

Quote from: GrizzlyBearTalon on February 28, 2008, 06:30:57 PMMan I really wanna punch a dinosaur so bad... :gbthungry

Um... okay...

*Quickly hides his pet dinosaur from Grizz*

Camma

Another interesting thing is the ability to have a charater run on all fours.  I wonder if it will be a permanent choice in character creation or if they are actually putting in the time to animate both on-all-fours models and upright models such that you would be able to transition.  That would be a lot of work but definetly leave the ability to have a much widered array of animations for both PCs and mobs.

GrizzlyBearTalon

Quote from: Camma on February 29, 2008, 08:10:10 AM
Another interesting thing is the ability to have a charater run on all fours.  I wonder if it will be a permanent choice in character creation or if they are actually putting in the time to animate both on-all-fours models and upright models such that you would be able to transition.  That would be a lot of work but definetly leave the ability to have a much widered array of animations for both PCs and mobs.

You can see this in action "sort of" in a screenshot appearing in the article in Game Informer. It has a close up of Dr. Destroyer and in the background is a white werewolf and a couple of werebears. At least they look like werebears to me. Please oh please let players be able to use those parts.

My guess is they have a set of animations that can be adjusted to varying model sizes and types, kind of like in modern wrestling games such as Smackdown vs Raw 08. I'm not really sure how it works but every model no matter the size or whatever you tack on to it is able to use all of the animations. Would you even need seperate models for on fours vs upright? Or simply different animations as they have also suggested other movement options like floating above the ground.

|