• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Artistic Challenge 25 - At the Movies - Assignments Posted!

Started by Pyroclasm, January 24, 2008, 02:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pyroclasm

Going to try another artistic challenge NOT necessarily involving superhero redesign. Oh noes!  :o

On a previous FR Calendar outing, the artists created parodies of famous movie posters.  I'd like to try something similar this time.
To participate, entrants will nominate two movie posters to add to a pool.  Once signups are done, I will randomly assign posters to each entrant.  The assignment is to use the movie poster to create your art.  It can be a a parody, replication, redesign or sequel.  You can use the same exact characters or change up the characters.  You can use superheroes (mainstream, avatar, or your own creations) if you wish, but are not required to do so.  This should provide a lot of freedom to create your art.
Notes: Please nominate movie posters that are interesting & fun.  Before posting the link to an image, think if you would like to do the poster.  Like on previous occasions I'm asking for two nominations to give each entrant an opportunity to make a choice rather than being completely stuck with a bad assignment.

Edit: I found this site with tons of posters.  Here's the link to help anyone find movie posters to nominate.  http://www.impawards.com/  If you link to their posters, please link to their pages and not the image files, so we don't upset anyone.

Signups end January 31st.  I will post assignments on February 1st.  Start posting as soon as your image is done.  There is no due date for the actual posting, so don't panic as it approaches the challenge's "end date".

This challenge ends on February 29th.  If you want join this challenge anytime in February, post here and PM me so I don't miss your post.  You can also sign up again if you did your first pic and want another go. After February 29th, I will not give out new assignments.

Rules:
1) Virtually any style--  Drawing, painting, CG, sculpture, action figures/dioramas, etc.
2) It must be your art.  No reposting or plagiarizing other people's art.  Obviously it's an honor system, but you don't wanna get called out on it and end up ruining it for others.
3) Nothing from Freedom Force or City of Heroes/Villains.  (Both have their own sections on FR.) If you make something (like a skin) that coincides with your art entry, you can link to the another thread.
4) *NEW* Although technically not a work in progress thread, it's ok to make one in-progress post and then your final.  You can also create a new thread featuring your work in progress and link to it.  I just don't want other artist's work buried under repeated postings of your progress.
5) Forum rules still govern subject matter.

Remember this is open to artists of all levels and all styles!

Assignments Posted!

PS: I'd like to try out some new ideas for challenges beyond what we've been doing.  Have a non-randomizer idea you'd want considered?  Have an additional theme idea you want added to the list?  Just head over to the Challenge Ideas Thread.

Carravaggio

I just bought a new wacom tablet ( :O ) so I'm in, I'm keen to try it out.
I'll check dome posters out, add them later.

Pyroclasm

I'll do this too.  I nominate:
Smokin' Aces
Shoot 'em Up

I found this site with tons of posters.  Here's the link to help anyone find movie posters to nominate.
http://www.impawards.com/

electro

Good challenge Pyro - Should be very hard for me so I say

Gangs of New York
Fist of The North Star

UnkoMan

I feel bad, since I never even got a chance to do my last picture... Although I had a sweet idea. I will do it eventually. I don't know if I will have the time for this one either, though.

BUT IF I DID... I'd say Cloverfield and Killers from Space.

EDIT: Yes, that's my way of saying I will give it a shot.

Pyroclasm

Electro:
Each movie tends to have more than one poster design, so please link to the image of the poster you are nominating so the "victim" knows which one you meant to give them.

The Hitman

MJB

Pyroclasm

I will be posting assignments tomorrow evening.  If you want to get in on this before the poster pool is randomized, please do so.  If you missed this sign up or want to join after assignments are given, just post and send me a pm, and I will get you an assignment.

Carravaggio:  Please edit your post with your poster picks so I don't have to choose for you. ;)

Pyroclasm

Participants can create:
1) A replication of the poster in the artist's choice of style
2) Redesign the poster.
3) Create a sequel/prequel movie poster to their movie.
4) Create a parody version of the poster.
5) Create an homage poster using other characters of their choosing.
6) Anything else that uses the poster in creating new art that I didn't think of.

Carravaggio didn't make his suggestions so I picked two extra and put them in the pool.  They are hyperlinked.  For the other posters, see the link in one of the previous posts.

Here are the assignments:

• Carravaggio chooses between Fist of the Northstar and Shoot 'Em Up
  • Pyroclasm chooses between Transformers and Gangs of New York
  • Electro chooses between Smokin' Aces and Suburban Commando
  • Unkoman chooses between Young Frankenstein and The Lost Boys
  • The Hitman chooses between Cloverfield and Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl
  • MJB chooses between Serenity and Killers from Space

Pyroclasm

I'm about halfway done with my poster.  How are you guys coming along?

UnkoMan

I have a hilarious idea... but haven't yet begun to impliment it.

I did, however, do a bit of work on last month's challenge.

MJB

My concept is completed... in my head.

I have yet to draw anything but it shouldn't take long.

-MJB

electro

Hopefully my Alternate Poster for Suburban Commando will be done by next weekend or very early into the following week - I have done a couple of quick sketches during lunch at work which turned out okay - I would like to watch the movie again before i do my final drawing to get a better feel of the other characters like the 2 space dudes he fights :blink:

UnkoMan

I'm so late, and I'm STILL the first? Sheesh, guys. Did anybody else even do the last one?

But here it is, my parody poster for Lost Boys:

Pyroclasm

Love it, Unko.  Are the folds and damage to the poster digitally done?
I'm just finishing up my drawing of Spike.  Hopefully I'll have mine posted tomorrow.

UnkoMan

I have a small archive of various paper textures to work with. I get other textures from copyright free stock photos, although I have been thinking of borrowing a high quality camera from school to just go around and take a bunch of shots. It can be really useful.

Can't wait for your picture.

Pyroclasm

Finally managed to replace my trackball.  Here is the Transformers 2007 movie poster done with Transformers G1 characters.  I kept the original poster's background because i didn't really feel like redrawing the city or the planet.  I just increased the saturation in hopes of blending it in better.  All characters & logo drawn in Adobe Illustrator, then combined with the background via Photoshop.  Anyways, hope you like it.

UnkoMan

Hey, I like it. Clever idea. They came out looking just like in the show.