• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Canadian Airfield Winter Map

Started by Blitzgott, January 18, 2008, 01:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blitzgott

I loved the Canadian Airfield Map, and the Canadian Airfield Winter Map seems to be even more amazing, but, for some reason, I can't get it to work. Whenever I try loading it up, it crashes my game.

Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

vamp

Well it works fine for me. It may be what your comp. Post some specs and I'll compare them to mine and see if I can tell you what your problem is. Keep in mind I am in no way an expert.

Blitzgott

I don't think the problem has anything to do with my system specifics. My PC is very powerful. Also, I've played the UXM mod and there's a level in which you play on this map (the one where you fight Wolverine or something... I don't remember if you fight him, but I DO remember that you meet him there), and it ran just fine.

My guess is that the file at Freedom Reborn Productions is missing something on the .zip, and that's why it doesn't work. Do you have this map for a long time? Probably your version is a different, functional one. Maybe Dana modified some stuff on the map and re-uploaded the most recent version on FRB, which is the unworkable one and the one I have. Could you send your version to my e-mail or upload it somewhere so that I can download it and see if it works? If you plan on sending it to me instead of uploading it somewhere, let me know so that I can PM you my e-mail.

Thanks.

vamp

http://frpmods.com/maps.html

I downloaded it here this morning  ^_^

So I think either you had a corrupt file, or the upload was weird like you said, but it is fine now.

Blitzgott

WTH, man? The freaking map still doesn't work!

Oh, well... I guess you can't have everything.

GogglesPizanno

Right after the game crashes, look at the ff.log file and see if there is an error near the bottom.

detourne_me

Previsionary

if either of you can describe your install process and actually post a log, that'd help a lot. To my knowledge, that map hasn't been uploaded or touched since its initial release, but I'll go back and double check.

Boalt92

Both maps work fine for me.

Would it make a difference if you install to a drive other than "c"?  Double check your file paths in FFedit just to be sure.

Just a thought.

B92

cmdrkoenig67

I have no idea what the problem could be (...And I made the map).  I just tried it and it still works fine for me.

Dana

Blitzgott

I don't think it has anything to do with the way I installed it. I installed it just as described in the readme, which just happens to be the same way you're supposed to install any map. But what I find most intriging is that, like I mentioned earlier, this map was present in one of the missions of the UXM mod and I could play that mission just fine. However, I can't play the exact same map in the Rumble Room. It just doesn't make any *@#%! (can I say that?) sense. Pardon my French, but I'm kind of ticked about not being able to use this particular map in the Rumble Room, because I really like it.

[Edit: No, you can't say that. See the Forum Rules, #11. - stumpy]

GogglesPizanno

I just got around to trying this myself and sure enough I get the crash too.
Its generating a "processCampaignLoadMission" error (which is odd since I was playing Rumble Room).
The error is generating is an alert and then shutting down so its not actually writing anything to any of the log files.

Normally Ive gotten these in the past and clearing out the "campdef.dat" file has always worked. Not so this time.

I went through the danger.py script and cleared it out just to confirm it wasn't some oddball scripting issue.
I got rid of the mission.mg file to make sure it wasn't compiled wonky. Nope.
I tried loading into the editor (it worked) and re-saving it out. No luck.

So I'm stumped for the moment.

GogglesPizanno

OK, I think I got it.
Try changing the name of the mission directory from "ds_mp_canadian_airfield_winter" (if thats what you kept the name as when you extracted it) to something shorter. I used "ds_mp_can_win"

I looks like the directory name is too long for the game to be happy with.
I tried swapping out the mission files for a level I knew worked and still got the error. So it had to be something specific to that folder, that when I noticed its name was longer than any of the other mission directories I had. So I shortened it, and low and behold...it worked.

So there ya go....

Blitzgott

It really worked! Thanks a lot, Goggles!

cmdrkoenig67

I apologize, guys...I didn't realize the name would be a problem for some computers.  I'm glad you have it working now.

Dana