• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Superman/ Doomsday - Possible Spoilers

Started by JeyNyce, September 18, 2007, 11:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJB

Extras on a DVD are always a big selling point for me.

-MJB

thalaw2

I agree that the cheek bones were distracting....  I honestly thought this movie was about a future much much older Superman, because those cheek bones make him look old, IMO.

zuludelta

:spoiler: Spoilers Ahoy! :spoiler:

Finally got to see this one tonight. Overall, I liked it, the voice-acting was very good and nailed the characterizations well (despite the fact that the actors aren't the ones we're used to hearing in the JLU show). The slightly altered designs for the characters were mostly a non-issue for me... I actually preferred the slimmer Lex Luthor in this DVD than the buffed up one on the JLU, it provides a starker contrast between the antagonists, but I did find the excessive lining/detailing on Supes' face to be a bit distracting, and seemed to be thrown on there for the sole purpose of differentiating this version of Superman from the JLU Superman.

As for the story itself... it seemed to me like the action peaked too early in the film, the Superman and Superman clone battle towards the end paled in comparison to the spectacle of the earlier fight against Doomsday. The intervening sequences between the two battles were okay, I guess, but I didn't feel too sympathetic with the grieving Lois Lane character... I guess part of it was because I couldn't reconcile how a character so smart and intuitive would be so head-slappingly stupid so as to miss the obvious Clark Kent/Superman connection for so long, as implied in the film... I mean, it looks like she's been sleeping with Superman every other day for the past 6 months and she's only gotten as far as a suspicious hunch as to his human alter-ego? It's a shame really, since the writers seemingly go out of their way to depict a decidedly more mature and adult relationship between Superman and Lane, and yet that one niggling detail concerning his secret identity ruins any illusion of that.

Still, it's way better than what I was expecting, considering how poorly I received the comic book story this was based on (not to mention the train-wreck that was Superman Returns).

MJB

My son gave this movie to me for Xmas. We watched it together yesterday and loved every minute of it.

-MJB

starlock

I thought it was pretty bad overall, and the lines on supermans face were horrible, i liked the voice acting and the extras if that makes any difference

Talavar

Just watched this as well and I thought it was good, but not great. 

[spoiler]
Jimmy's storyline through the middle of the film seemed...odd, and it did bother me a little that Superman was sleeping with Lois without her even knowing his identity.  That said, at least she did figure it out on her own, and not that far into the movie.  Her grieving and needing to share it with Martha Kent actually got to me a little.

The creepiness of a few scenes really stuck with me as well, namely the clone Superman doing laser-eye brain surgery on himself, and the destruction of all the test-tube clones.  The latter was quite similar to a scene from the first Superman TAS episode with Bizarro Superman - though a touch more graphic.
[/spoiler]

To those who thought it was no better, or even worse than Superman: Braniac Attacks, did we see the same movie?  The face-line complaints I think are valid - they make Superman look old and tired. Timm learned that in the first season of Justice League and got rid of them, why bring them back?

I'm also glad this wasn't meant to be in the JLU/Superman TAS continuity, as it wouldn't have really made sense.  They'd already used Doomsday twice there, worked in a more-effective version of a funeral for Superman and had evil clone/imposters of Superman on a few occasions.  It was better as a stand-alone project.

Silver Shocker

Quote from: JeyNyce on September 18, 2007, 11:17:35 AM
I just finish watching the DVD and all I can say is WOW.  The beginning & middle was good, the ending was a bit lagging I guess.

[spoiler]There is a lot a killing/ deaths in the beginning.  Almost everybody Doomsday comes in contact with he kills.  Toyman is in the movie (really didn't care for this version) but Supes (clone) took him out with no mercy.  Even Lex killed in cold blood early in the movie.  This is not you JLU movie.  This is not for kids[/spoiler]

I agree. Lots of violent fighting, lotsa killing that really surprised me, and a good deal more swearing than I expected. Superman's cheekbones bothered me, too. James Marster's Lex Luthor was a very unique take, not Clancy Brown, but good in his own right. Very creepy with a kind off perverse adoration/obsession with Superman.  It was that kinda fun one-shot get in, get out movie, don't know if I'd want to watch it multiple times though.