• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Cardmaster Art and Animation! Let's get Steampunky! (Updated January 31st)

Started by Cardmaster, December 09, 2007, 09:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardmaster

Scroll down to see the newest stuff!

Okay, so I've been really wanting to improve my painting skills in Photoshop lately, so I've been practicing a lot.
I decided to do a little trio of pieces that I guess are supposed to be members of some sort of evil association? Maybe in a video game or something? *shrugs* (I enjoy designing worlds for completely imaginary video games and such ^_^)

Anyways, this is the first one I did, I imagined him as being a totally silent snow assassin type. If he were, in fact, an enemy type in a video game, all you would see would be those blue eyes coming towards you in the blizzard. :) (I dunno exactly what I imagined that weapon to be, but I think it's either a knife thing or a harpoon launcher. heh)
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Then this was number two, a much heavier unit designed for forests or jungles...
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Then the last one I did was more just practicing creating interesting silhouettes; the name that popped into my head was a "Shadowjumper"  :lol:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

So anyways... what do you guys think?
I've been really trying to move away from being so dependent on line in my work and develop a more "painterly" feel...I don't know how much I'm achieving that, but I think I like these.. maybe. heh.

-CM

daglob

Weird, goofy trick that seems counterintuitive: use the Noise filter to add a little "static" to the picture. You might copy the entire picture to a single layer, then experiment on the copy (or just remember to save an un-altered copy).

The green glowing eyes on the mecha pilot need to be behind the layer with the viewport. Otherwise, it all looks good.

I've tried painting an underpainting, but it just isn't the same as oils. It works best to do a "wash" picture on the top layer and put the colors below.

BWPS

I like them. The last one is my favorite by far. I don't know if you're improving because I haven't seen anything. But I do like the painting style!

Cardmaster

More improvement! :D And a much different style! Hahah..
Steampunk Glider Fighter

So this started as a doodle that I drew in class... it's a quick-deploying glider fighter. ^_^

It's a fairly steampunk aesthetic, heh. Okay, scratch that, it's about as steampunky as they come. Hehehe.. I designed it to be launched from an airship from a really high distance, seeing as it has no form of active propulsion itself and therefore needs a nice high altitude to glide from. Those legs, when the fighter is in a landed position, build up huge tension and then snap backwards, "launching" the fighter forward about the same length of its body. When in the air, the fighter's wings activate, flapping incredibly rapidly and giving the glider a bit more lift and allowing it to achieve true flight.
That entire front section is a steam engine and boiler used to power the legs, the flapping of the wings and the machineguns in the front. That back "exhaust" is actually an enormous steampipe, acting as a vent for the huge amounts of steam being generated by the boiler. That little cap you see on the front top of the fighter is where the water would be piped in during docking and refueling.

That back fuselage and the wings are all fully collapsable, allowing many of these to be hung on racks inside the airships and deployed quickly, hence the name.

I'm such a nerd, hehe..

What do you guys think? (both of the idea and the art quality I guess. Heh.)

-CM

UnkoMan

You know what? That's actually a really awesome little drawing. I totally dig that design, AND the mechanics behind the little ship. That's something I'd love to see in a game of some type.

zuludelta

It reminds me of a children's book I read years ago... can't remember the title... but anyway, good image, I like the subtle texture you applied to the wing.

Cardmaster

Aw, thanks guys.

And UnkoMan, I'm glad you like the mechanics and whatnot, hehe.. I spent a long time daydreaming that up.. ^_^ Oh, and I would looove to play a video game in this sort of style.. haha...

Here's some new steampunk-inspired animation.. I don't have as detailed an explanation for it as the last design, mainly just wanted to have a fun with this one.. heh..

Steampunk Cannon Animation

Lemme know whatcha think. ^_^

-CM