Started by Conduit, October 30, 2007, 02:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Mr. Hamrick

Regarding the writers strike . . .

thank goodness I am not union yet. 

:D

Uncle Yuan

I think they should hire me as a scab writer.  Then I'll consult with all of you guys and we'll write a show with actual character development that makes sense . . .

bredon7777

Seriously, I was already planning to see if there was interest in a virtual season over in the fan-fiction forum once the episodes run out...

BentonGrey

Man, that was a fantastic episode!  Great stuff, I don't really have many complaints at all, and I'm really happy to see most of my speculation has come true.  I am annoyed that HRG and Claire are STILL not being honest with each other, but we're moving quickly to a resolution.

bredon7777

Agreed! The show I love is back, just in time for the writers to go on strike.

kkhohoho

Quote from: bredon7777 on November 05, 2007, 07:11:43 PM

Not all writers are going on strike.  A lot are, but not all.  So far, I haven't found any information saying that Heroes won't finish up all 24 episodes of Season 2.

Talavar

Quote from: kkhohoho on November 05, 2007, 07:17:54 PM

Not all writers are going on strike.  A lot are, but not all.  So far, I haven't found any information saying that Heroes won't finish up all 24 episodes of Season 2.

That's because, as of yet, they still intend to finish with a full season.  There are a number of episodes already filmed and waiting - it will only become an issue if the strike goes on for weeks or months.

bredon7777

Quote from: Talavar on November 05, 2007, 07:23:54 PM
Quote from: kkhohoho on November 05, 2007, 07:17:54 PM

That's because, as of yet, they still intend to finish with a full season.  There are a number of episodes already filmed and waiting - it will only become an issue if the strike goes on for weeks or months.

I wish that was true, but sadly it's not:

http://community.tvguide.com/blog-entry/TVGuide-Editors-Blog/Ausiello-Report/Strike-Fallout-Heroes/800026358

Quote from: TV guide
Heroes' second season may be coming to a close a lot sooner than expected due to the forthcoming apocalypse, also known in some circles as the damn writers' strike.

Sources confirm that the show is going back and shooting an alternate ending to the Dec. 3 episode that, if used, would allow the episode to function as a season finale in the event of a strike.

They're currently planning to end the season Dec 3, though I don't think that they didn't intend not to have a full season- they're just bowing to the inevitable consequences of the strike.

Everything I read gives me no indication this will be resolved quickly.  I predict, myself, at a minimum, that it will last until June- when the actors will go on strike.  Once the actors join with the writers, and only then, will they have enough power to settle this thing, I think.

Talavar

I don't see how that linked article invalidates what I said - they have a number of episodes ready - those to air through the rest of November - and they're making contingency plans for if the strike continues longer than that. 

bredon7777

The contigency plan is to end the season Dec 3. There has been nothing printed anywhere about airing a full season of episodes if the strike goes on longer than that.

I mean I really wish there was- no one on this board wants a full season writers strike or no, more than me. But it just aint gonna happen (unless the strike gets settled within the next week- which I really don't see happening), and there is no evidence anywhere that they're going to make more episodes if the strike doesn't get settled soon.

Now if I misunderstood you, please clarify and I'll apologize. But I'm reading your position as 'Regardless of how long the writers strike goes on, Heroes is going to finish out the season with 24 episodes", and no matter how much we both would like it to be, that's just simply not the case.

Panther_Gunn

On a slightly related note, I'm looking for a little help on finding this week's episode (not online.....if I want to watch something longer than 5 minutes, it'd better be on an actual TV sized screen, not on the laptop.....[sidetrack] movies on an iPod?  are you freaking serious??? [/sidetrack]).

I forgot to reset the clock on the VCR until it was too late tonight, so I recorded an hour of stuff that I don't want.  I know Sci-Fi was re-airing them last season, but I haven't noticed that this time around.  Is any network/cable channel showing this week's episode again some other time during the week that I can catch it?  If anyone knows what channel specifically for the Seattle area market, all the better.

Previsionary

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on November 06, 2007, 03:46:59 AM
On a slightly related note, I'm looking for a little help on finding this week's episode (not online.....if I want to watch something longer than 5 minutes, it'd better be on an actual TV sized screen, not on the laptop.....[sidetrack] movies on an iPod?  are you freaking serious??? [/sidetrack]).

I forgot to reset the clock on the VCR until it was too late tonight, so I recorded an hour of stuff that I don't want.  I know Sci-Fi was re-airing them last season, but I haven't noticed that this time around.  Is any network/cable channel showing this week's episode again some other time during the week that I can catch it?  If anyone knows what channel specifically for the Seattle area market, all the better.

Quote from: Previsionary on October 30, 2007, 04:57:27 PM
Just popping in here to give a general announcement:

As many of you may or may not know, Heroes season 1 and 2, will now be showing on G4tv with viewer interaction with the cast (Edit: Live Heroes Post Show) after the episode airs. Last weekend, they had a 3 day marathon of season 1.

Anyway, I figured I'd let people know since this is the third channel that shows the show (the second being sci-fi).

Anyway, they typically run a marathon including showing the last episode, then do the live post show on Saturday. :P

Talavar

Quote from: bredon7777 on November 05, 2007, 09:47:30 PM
The contigency plan is to end the season Dec 3. There has been nothing printed anywhere about airing a full season of episodes if the strike goes on longer than that.

I mean I really wish there was- no one on this board wants a full season writers strike or no, more than me. But it just aint gonna happen (unless the strike gets settled within the next week- which I really don't see happening), and there is no evidence anywhere that they're going to make more episodes if the strike doesn't get settled soon.

Now if I misunderstood you, please clarify and I'll apologize. But I'm reading your position as 'Regardless of how long the writers strike goes on, Heroes is going to finish out the season with 24 episodes", and no matter how much we both would like it to be, that's just simply not the case.

No, my position is, we may still get a full season of Heroes if the strike is resolved quickly.  If the strike goes on for weeks or months, the best we can hope for is a season that has some kind of resolution in December.

bredon7777

Quote from: Talavar on November 06, 2007, 08:15:49 AM
Quote from: bredon7777 on November 05, 2007, 09:47:30 PM

No, my position is, we may still get a full season of Heroes if the strike is resolved quickly.  If the strike goes on for weeks or months, the best we can hope for is a season that has some kind of resolution in December.

Ok, agreed. Your position is essentially correct, though you appear to be much more optomistic than I am about the prospect of this being resolved quickly.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Previsionary on November 06, 2007, 07:38:35 AM
Quote from: Previsionary on October 30, 2007, 04:57:27 PM
Just popping in here to give a general announcement:

As many of you may or may not know, Heroes season 1 and 2, will now be showing on G4tv with viewer interaction with the cast (Edit: Live Heroes Post Show) after the episode airs. Last weekend, they had a 3 day marathon of season 1.

Anyway, I figured I'd let people know since this is the third channel that shows the show (the second being sci-fi).

Anyway, they typically run a marathon including showing the last episode, then do the live post show on Saturday. :P

I'll be the first to admit that I did *not* read any of the rest of the thread before I posted, contrary to my usual habits.  That being said, as far as I can tell from my channel surfing, G4TV doesn't seem to be a channel in the Comcast repetoire around here (which seems a little odd, now that I think about it).  At the very least, it's not included in the list of channels that you don't have to pay extra for (on both regular and digital cable).

Conduit

As for this week's episode, don't get me wrong.  It was much better than the previous episodes this season.  I really enjoyed many parts of it.  But it definitely had problems.

[spoiler]
The pacing has really improved.  With the exception of Sylar and the twins, the plots are finally starting to move.

I really enjoyed the Parkman vs. Parkman scenes, but it created some huge plotholes.  For one, it says that Molly has been trapped in a dream of Matt's old house ever since she fell into a coma.  That contradicts an online comic from a few weeks ago, which showed her trapped in a much scarier nightmare.  For another, if Matt's powers include the ability to trap people in their nightmares and he's now starting to learn how to do it, why did he never do that in Five Years Gone?  That ability sure would have come in handy in the confrontation at the Homeland Security building.  Also, at the beginning of the episode, they were convinced that Maury was behind the killings.  Unless I missed something, there was absolutely no evidence of that.  And while I can see how he could have pulled off the attack on Angela (how and why would he mess with the lights, though?), the murder of Kaito doesn't fit with him at all.  Of course, it could have been someone else, but the characters didn't realize that.

Mohinder is on the stupid pills again.  He's already seen Bennet kill Thompson, why is he suddenly turning against Bennet because he killed some guy he's never met?  Couldn't he at least call Bennet and talk to him about it?

It's good to see Peter back in the main story again, but with Caitlyn gone, the Irish storyline has had no long term effects whatsoever.

On the one hand, it's good to see that certain stupid actions did have consequences.  On the other hand, that just underscores how stupid those actions were.  HRG and Claire should really have known better.

I could tolerate all of the above if not for Claire's storyline.  West totally ignored her desire to keep things secret, showing up uninvited at her house and introducing himself to her parents for no reason.  And she just accepts this.  Her tantrum at the end was horrible.  It was incredibly annoying and very out of character.  I'm really starting to dislike Claire as well as West, which is a shame considering she was one of my favorite characters last season.
[/spoiler]

Adamence

[spoiler]
Quote from: Conduit on November 06, 2007, 03:26:16 PM
I really enjoyed the Parkman vs. Parkman scenes, but it created some huge plotholes.  For one, it says that Molly has been trapped in a dream of Matt's old house ever since she fell into a coma.  That contradicts an online comic from a few weeks ago, which showed her trapped in a much scarier nightmare.  For another, if Matt's powers include the ability to trap people in their nightmares and he's now starting to learn how to do it, why did he never do that in Five Years Gone?  That ability sure would have come in handy in the confrontation at the Homeland Security building.  Also, at the beginning of the episode, they were convinced that Maury was behind the killings.  Unless I missed something, there was absolutely no evidence of that.  And while I can see how he could have pulled off the attack on Angela (how and why would he mess with the lights, though?), the murder of Kaito doesn't fit with him at all.  Of course, it could have been someone else, but the characters didn't realize that.

I don't really see Parkman's not using his power that way as a plothole.  In the future presented in Five Years Gone, Parkman likely never tracked down his father and never learned that his father had a similar power and could do that, so he never tried to use his power in that way.  Just because he doesn't use his power that way in the future, doesn't mean he couldn't theoretically do it, he probably just never thought he could so he didn't try.
[/spoiler]

Conduit

[spoiler]
Quote from: Adamence on November 06, 2007, 03:38:07 PM

I don't really see Parkman's not using his power that way as a plothole.  In the future presented in Five Years Gone, Parkman likely never tracked down his father and never learned that his father had a similar power and could do that, so he never tried to use his power in that way.  Just because he doesn't use his power that way in the future, doesn't mean he couldn't theoretically do it, he probably just never thought he could so he didn't try.

Molly told Matt about the man who could see her before the explosion.  Since Hiro never interacted with either of them, that should have happened in the FYG timeline too.  I don't see any reason why Matt wouldn't want to track down that guy in the FYG timeline, especially with the agenda against specials which he was a part of.  And even if he didn't track Maury down, he should have been able to develop at least something approaching it on his own.  Maury developed it on his own, after all, and Matt started projecting thoughts to Nathan even though Maury never told him that he could.
[/spoiler]

BentonGrey

As for this week's episode, don't get me wrong.  It was much better than the previous episodes this season.  I really enjoyed many parts of it.  But it definitely had problems.

[spoiler]
The pacing has really improved.  With the exception of Sylar and the twins, the plots are finally starting to move.

Mohinder is on the stupid pills again.  He's already seen Bennet kill Thompson, why is he suddenly turning against Bennet because he killed some guy he's never met?  Couldn't he at least call Bennet and talk to him about it?

It's good to see Peter back in the main story again, but with Caitlyn gone, the Irish storyline has had no long term effects whatsoever.

On the one hand, it's good to see that certain stupid actions did have consequences.  On the other hand, that just underscores how stupid those actions were.  HRG and Claire should really have known better.

I could tolerate all of the above if not for Claire's storyline.  West totally ignored her desire to keep things secret, showing up uninvited at her house and introducing himself to her parents for no reason.  And she just accepts this.  Her tantrum at the end was horrible.  It was incredibly annoying and very out of character.  I'm really starting to dislike Claire as well as West, which is a shame considering she was one of my favorite characters last season.
[/spoiler]

Conduit, I don't think you're really applying enough thought to some of this, although I agree with some of your criticisms.  Let's take a look:

[spoiler]Molly's prison:  I didn't read this comic, but if that's true (and I believe you) then that's stupid.  Maybe that was where she was at first?  Ugh, we shouldn't have to play that game though.  The comics should be canon, period, end of story.

Parkman's ability:  Why did it manifest here?  He was told he could do it and put in extraordinary situations.  Those are two things that may never have happened in the alternate storyline.  You're sort of comparing apples and oranges here.  Think about it, he was CONVINCED that he couldn't do that type of thing.  He probably never really pushed himself.  I think that's one of his character's weaknesses, he doesn't really push himself very often.  When he does, as in this episode, he's really capable of great good.

Mrs. Petrelli:  I think you've got a point here, but my memory of that episode is a bit spoty.  Maybe we only saw the "lights" from her perspective?  If not, then maybe something else is at work?

Sulu's murder:  Come on man, think about it.  How did he die?  A skinny guy in a hoodie ran into him and knocked him off a building, CRASHING into the pavement ALONG with him.  Then he vanished.  Hmm...who does that sound like?  Oh right, the guy that is thin and can heal?  Adam/Kensei!

I agree about the stupidity of HRG.  When he was wrecking that guy's place I was like "he's not wearing gloves, he's GONNA' leave fingerprints.  I'm just glad that they acknowledged that.  I HOPE that this is part of a larger plan on his part, because I'd hate to think that he was that stupid and sloppy.

Yeah, I agree that Claire is being really stupid, and my wife and I have already decided that we don't like West.

One new thought, a lot of people are saying that they are starting to see the company differently.  My wife and I were actually just talking about how we were starting to like Bob, and hoping that they were turning into a force for good.  HOWEVER, in the previews for the next episode, there was a tiny snippet of Elle's finger shocking Peter while he was being held by the company.  In the background we hear Bob say "Elle, he's not a toy."  This implies that she works for or HAS worked for, the company, and that Bob knows about her.  It also COULD mean that Bob's newfound conscience is just a blind.  I hope not.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

[spoiler]
QuoteAlso, at the beginning of the episode, they were convinced that Maury was behind the killings.  Unless I missed something, there was absolutely no evidence of that.  And while I can see how he could have pulled off the attack on Angela (how and why would he mess with the lights, though?), the murder of Kaito doesn't fit with him at all.

Actually, as seen in this episode, Maury uses his powers to manipulate others to do his dirty work for him, so none of that means anything.  While Kaito seemed to recognize his assailant, he could just as easily have recognized one of Maury's trance victims.
[/spoiler]

The Hitman

[spoiler]
Quote from: BentonGrey on November 06, 2007, 04:44:40 PM
HOWEVER, in the previews for the next episode, there was a tiny snippet of Elle's finger shocking Peter while he was being held by the company.  In the background we hear Bob say "Elle, he's not a toy."  This implies that she works for or HAS worked for, the company, and that Bob knows about her.  It also COULD mean that Bob's newfound conscience is just a blind.  I hope not.

Or Bob is Elle's dad, whom she speaks with on the phone at the end of her episode.
[/spoiler]

kkhohoho

One new thought, a lot of people are saying that they are starting to see the company differently.  My wife and I were actually just talking about how we were starting to like Bob, and hoping that they were turning into a force for good.  HOWEVER, in the previews for the next episode, there was a tiny snippet of Elle's finger shocking Peter while he was being held by the company.  In the background we hear Bob say "Elle, he's not a toy."  This implies that she works for or HAS worked for, the company, and that Bob knows about her.  It also COULD mean that Bob's newfound conscience is just a blind.  I hope not.

You complain about Bob's newfound conscience possibly being fake, because you saw the bit with Bob and Elle.  However, Peter was held by the company before the show started.  And if Bob's conscience is indeed newfound, then that would mean that it might not be a blind, because if he does act bad on the show, it might only be before he got his newfound conscience. ;)

BentonGrey

Kk, I wouldn't say complain, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.  As a matter of fact, I very much like the unfathomable nature of the Company, as long as it will EVENTUALLY be made clear.  However, you're absolutely right.  I hope next episode tells us!

Hitman:  Whoops, I meant to say that!

Cat:  No dice, the killer fell several stories and then disappeared.

catwhowalksbyhimself

How does that change what I said?  I never said anything about the person being manipulated NOT having powers, now did I?

Adamence

[spoiler]
One new thought, a lot of people are saying that they are starting to see the company differently.  My wife and I were actually just talking about how we were starting to like Bob, and hoping that they were turning into a force for good.  HOWEVER, in the previews for the next episode, there was a tiny snippet of Elle's finger shocking Peter while he was being held by the company.  In the background we hear Bob say "Elle, he's not a toy."  This implies that she works for or HAS worked for, the company, and that Bob knows about her.  It also COULD mean that Bob's newfound conscience is just a blind.  I hope not.

Tim Kring said at one point in an interview that Elle was raised within the company.  So they definitely know about her, and I think what she said during her first appearance about being part of 'a company very concerned about keeping Peter out of trouble,' just adds that inside the show as well.  [/spoiler]

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 06, 2007, 05:54:34 PM
How does that change what I said?  I never said anything about the person being manipulated NOT having powers, now did I?

Well, (and this is assuming we can believe a word that comes out of Bob's mouth) we've been told that Adam is Maury's boss, so it isn't terribly likely that Maury is manipulating him.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I never said anything of that sort.

I was giving an even or situation.  Two alternative situations.  One or the other, most definitely not both.

BentonGrey

starlock

Why is it that i find adam/kensei to be a joke as the big bad? ok from the view that he is over 400 years old and has been manipulating things for a long time....ok i can see that in a sense, becoming rich and powerfull and setting up the company, but where are we supposed to beleive that a regenerator/immortal is top dog, one to be scared of or impressed with? maury or sylar would seem way more convincing bad guys who could manipulate things and be able to defend themselves from harm, i hope we find out adam is a mimic also or has developed more than one power

well one thing is peter, claire. nathan and posibily mrs petrelli know the sweet spot to keep a regenerator down

I hope there is more to adam/kensei then meets the eye

Sevenforce

Oh noes! I can see the thread descending into another time-travel discussion thread! *relating to Matts powers* Noooooooo! *head explodes prematurely

|