• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Artistic Challenge 23 - Animal-themed Characters - Assignments Posted!

Started by Pyroclasm, November 26, 2007, 06:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juancho

I am working on Tikila, my character based on the blue tongue lizzard, I guess I'll have it done by the end of the weekend, or maybe earlier ^_^

Cardmaster

The Weasel is in the design phases.. but with finals going on I'm not making a lot of headway... heh..

Rick Battlemage

It's Captain Kangaroo!!!

I was going to draw him in a more active pose but... well let's say I'm still working on it.

And here's the Iron Shrimp and another Kangarooman which were drawn with my tablet, though I hated them and we got a divorce.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

electro

Pyroclasm

daglob

Got employed again for the first time in months (Hey! Might get to keep my house, after all.), and it is seriously cutting into my spare time. I intend to do something this weekend, at least a B&W illo.

bearded

Quote from: Rick Battlemage on December 14, 2007, 12:08:52 PM

It's Captain Kangaroo!!!

I was going to draw him in a more active pose but... well let's say I'm still working on it.

And here's the Iron Shrimp and another Kangarooman which were drawn with my tablet, though I hated them and we got a divorce.

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
i like it.  i want to see him in a team shot with badger!  looks like they'd make a good pair.

UnkoMan

Alright, here's my first entry. I drew a more dynamic version by hand, but then I realized I don't have access to a scanner for a while, so I whiped one up on the computer.

Daniel Trichechus was born with a few physical disorders. Albinisim. Gigantism. Obesity problems. He was viewed as a freak for most of his life. This is probably what drove him to work his body so hard. Daniel trained long hours to give himself a heightened amout of strength and prowess that people wouldn't assume he had. Eventually he went from being a fat, crying child, to a muscular, hardened adult. The years of mistreatment are also probably what drove him to his choice of being a career criminal. He worked mostly thug jobs, selling himself to the highest bidder. He seemed to have overcome most of his problems but one. His albinism.

He was forced to wear complete covering during the day, which he always felt restricted movement. That's why, when he heard about an experimental sunblock being created in a lab in Florida, he bought a ticket out there immediately. Florida was the last place he expected to find himself, but there he was. That night Daniel broke into the labs and tried the formula on himself. At first, he felt no different. Come day break he decided to go outside, for the first time. Cautiously, he went onto his hotel balcony...

Miraculously, he was uninjured. The sun had no ill effect on him. He was out in the day and loving it. That's when he decided to take a stroll to the beach. After a bit of sun tanning, however, he began to feel dry. Flaked. Was the formula not powerful enough? Soon, he felt as though his skin was burning. He quickly ran to the water and dived in. This seemed to cure his ailments. His skin returned to normal and the pain stopped. Not only that but... due to his years of staying indoors, Daniel never learned to swim... now he was swimming like a world class athlete. It seems the formula was made using various aquatic substances. It changed Daniel into a more amphibious creature. He could be out of water for long periods, but too long and with enough sun, he must return. It also increased his strength to super human proportions. The name Man-Atee seemed to just fit. In a world where everybody seemed to wear silly costumes, Daniel figured he might as well, and thus began his infamous life as a super criminal.

Pyroclasm

OMG, I love it!  The little cap on his head is perfect.  Great job!  Oh, one more thing... You handled the animated look quite nice.

Cardmaster

Okay, first off, I am a HUGE fan of the Man-Atee. :wub:

Okay, here's my contribution:
THE WEASEL

Born with a hyperactive, never ending supply of energy and superhuman reflexes and agility, Marty Matherson decided to use his abilities to fight crime in the name of truth, justice and the American way. And because he was a little bored.

Although never properly trained in any sort of martial arts discipline, Marty's spastic movements and boundless energy allow him to easily wear out and take down most thugs and villains. He decided to model his crime-fighting style and movement after his favorite childhood animal, weasels; one of the few animals that could even come close to be as hyperactive as he is. To help flesh out the "weasliness" of his identity, he also developed a whip-like tail for his suit which he uses to aid his crime-fighting.

Although never taken very seriously by the rest of the super-hero community, The Weasel nonetheless tries his hardest to fight for what he believes in and prove himself as a hero. He may never be an A-List hero, but when the chips are down, he'll always be there to lend a paw.

Design Notes:
When designing the Weasel, I decided to play up the aspects of the weasel that are more endearing than the typical 'sinister' depictions you might see. I'm fairly pleased with this design; the one downside is that I realized that the W on his chest is baaasically a shameless copy of Wonderman :roll: Ohhh well..

Pyroclasm

UnkoMan

That guy is adorable. Look at him clutching his little tail. So precious.

I think I definately am going to do the possum one though. I've noticed we've mostly kept the look of the animal in the costume design, but for somebody like, say, Spider-Man or Robin, the animal elements are played up less. I think I will go more that route, only hinting at the animality.

These are really sweet designs though. Maybe a team up picture is in order.

electro

I want a skin of The Man-atee - He looks so cool - Also how did he lose his front tooth :blink:

Outcast

I like the costume designs and stories for these animal themed characters.

It would be great to see these guys have a mesh or skin in Freedom Force too. :cool:

Ephemeris

Quote from: electro on December 22, 2007, 11:15:59 AM
I want a skin of The Man-atee - He looks so cool - Also how did he lose his front tooth :blink:

He probably got hit by a boat.  :P

Awesome designs everyone.  They all look great!

Panther_Gunn

The Weasel *totally* needs to team up with Squirrel Girl!  :thumbup:

electro

Ant-Bear

History - Ant-Bear was a villager in Mexico 1530 ad. who was caught between the wars of the Spanish & the Aztec empire - Being an immigrant from central america he doesn't remeber much from this time but he does remember looking at the giant Ardvarks - So when the spanish started rapeing the women in his village & the Aztecs capturing some of his people to make offerings to the sun god - He had enough of this and decided to fight back ussing a secret identity - Ant-Bear was born based on his childhood memories of the giant Ant-Eaters - He ran serveral missions in his vigilante carear like making sure the spanish where weak the days they fought the aztecs by filling sacks full of fire ants and dumping them all over the camp site keeping the spanish up all night or making Aztecs peoples sick with poisions in there food etc... Ant-Bear eventually died by a snake bite while trying to gather more ants for a mission :blink:

UnkoMan

That's pretty sweet. I love the crazy moon. Lots of nice detailing, too.

I said I'd do another and, though it took me a while to get to it, I have.

Introducing Jack "The Possum" Pelech.

Jack Pelech used to be a wealthy socialite, but when his business started to turn he was forced to claim bankruptcy. This, however, didn't do much to help his situation. His wife left him, he was forced from his family home, his friends turned on him. With nothing left and nowhere to go Jack felt their was only one thing to do. Suicide was the only answer.

He couldn't even get that right. Oh, sure, he looked dead. Dr. Spiegleman, the coroner even thought so. That's why, when Jack suddenly awoke on that cold slab, he was shocked so much. After some excitment, Jack told the Doc his story, and they came to a bargain. Doc would take Jack in, if Jack could do a few things for him. It seemed some of his family, immigrant Jews mostly, were being harrassed by local mobsters. Jack could retain his anonymity, and gain a place to stay and live, if he could help out the less fortunate people of the world.

Well Jack, having nothing left to live for, took him up on this offer. Quickly being nicknamed "The Possum" by the mafia, due to his apparenty always playing dead, Jack has been nothing but trouble for them, and a hero to those poor souls with nobody else to stand up for them.

juancho

After a looooooong time and 2 complete changes of look here is the definite character
Tilika
I picked the blue tongue lizard to work with, it was quite FUN.
I haven't made a backstory for him, not yet at least, but he is a villian all the way
I hope you like him!!!!

Sorry for the delay O_o

Pyroclasm

ooooo...me like!
Unkoman: Interesting style, Unko.  I think it works well with the image.  Love the backstory, LOL
Juancho: The suit looks very sci-fi or movie-ish.  Love how you gave him a "Blue Tongue" whip.  Very clever!