• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

This is a stumper

Started by bredon7777, August 09, 2007, 09:14:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bredon7777

Heres the puzzle:

You have 27 life points, your opponent 31

Your opponent has no cards in hand, resources, or cards in play.

You have 8 resources already played and the following 3 cards:

Blind Justice (cost2): 1- as an additional cost to play Blind Justice pay 9 resource points and exhaust a Marvel Knights character you control.  Switch endurance totals with target opponent

Coalition of Heroes(cost 2): 1-Play Coalition of Heroes only f you control a Marvel Knights Character and a Spider-friends Character.  Ongoing: Characters you control with either of those affiliations have both affiliations.

Penance stare(cost 1) - As an additioanl cost to play Penance Stare, KO a stunned Marvel Knights character you control.  Target opponent loses endurance equal to the cost of the character you KO'd in this way.

You also have the following characters in play:

Julia Carpenter- Cost 4, Stats: 7/7
Punisher- Cost 4, Stats 7/6

(Neither you or your opponent has the necessary cards to trigger Frank or Julia's special abilities, so Im not going to type them out.)

The challenge?  Defeat your opponent- THIS TURN.

For the life of me, I cant quite get this one.

Any ideas?

captainspud

Coalition of Heroes has more text.

Coalition of Heroes
Plot Twist, Ongoing, Cost: 2
Play only if you control a Marvel Knights character and a Spider-Friends character.
Ongoing: Characters you control with either the Marvel Knights or Spider-Friends affiliation have both affiliations.
Pay 5 endurance -> Target character you control gets +2 ATK this attack.
MMK-189 - Rare

Attack with Julia. Opponent's at 26.
Attack with Punisher. Pay 25 life to give him +10 attack. Opponent's at 9.
Evade Julia. KO her with Penance Stare. Opponent's at 5.

Based on the cards you've told us about, it can't be done. Sure you're not forgetting something? You have 8 resources-- are any of them usable attack pumps?

bredon7777

!@@!$@!% small DS screen.

But to answer your question, no. None of them are usable. Its 8 copies of the same card; I dont recall the card name atm (and my DS is charging) but the effect is "Opponent loses 3 endurance. If opponent has no characters in the support row, opponent loses 5 endurance instead".

ETA: What about using Blind Justice- if you switch endurance totals, you could pay 30 life, giving Frank +12 atk..that help?

captainspud

The card is called Surprise Attack. Eight copies of that card alone would solve this problem. Unless they're already face-up, I guess.

The problem with that combo is that Coalition only lets you use its payment power "this attack", which means you're in the combat phase. Blind Justice requires payment of resource points, and so can only be used during your recruit step. There's no way to pay the endurance for Coalition before you lose your resources for the turn.

Another play that doesn't work:

Build phase: Lay Coalition as your resource.
Play Blind Justice, exhausting Julia and paying your resources. Your endurance is 31, opponent's is 27.
Attack with Punisher. Pay 30 life to give him +12 attack. You're on 1, opponent's at 8.
Evade Julia. Penance Stare. You're on -3, opponent's on 4.

You're still short. Unless my math is wrong, there's just something missing here.

EDIT: My math on the first one was wrong.

Attack with Julia. Opponent's at 24.
Attack with Punisher. Pay 25 life to give him +10 attack. Opponent's at 7.
Evade Julia. KO her with Penance Stare. Opponent's at 3.

Still short. Are you positive all the info you gave us is correct? There's also the possibility that thisn't solveable-- I've heard that there are a couple puzzles like that.

bredon7777

The only thing I had wrong was that its 4 copies of surprise attack and 4 copies of reconnaissance, all face up.

It'd reflect really poorly on their design and testers to let an unsolvable puzzle through- Konami is usually much better than that.

Would it make any difference if you played coalition from your hand? The team-up effect seems to be irrelevant for this puzzle..

captainspud

Coalition is very relevant. Played from your hand, you can't use the ongoing part to pay your life for ATK. And Jessica can't use Penance Stare if she's not MK.

bredon7777

Oh. Ok, I see that.

What about reducing your own life points to 0 and then playing Blind Justice?

Could that be done?

(BTW- According to the walkthrough I found (which doesnt have an answer to this puzzle yet, sadly) the only reason puzzles become unsolvable is if you set your auto-pass feature too high.  I don't use autopass at all, so this should be doable...)

captainspud

I don't see how. The most damage you can do to yourself during build is the 4 for evading Julia (You can't even Penance yourself, it specifies Opponent). If Coalition was a turn-pump you'd be fine, but it needs to fire DURING an attack, and by then it's too late for Blind Justice.

bredon7777

Found the answer on a message board:

Place Coalition as a resource and activate it.
Activate Blind Justice.
Evade Julia- You're now at 23, your Opponent is at 31
Blind Justice resolves- You're now at 31, your opponent is at 23
Attack with Punisher
Use Coalition to pump Punisher up to 19 Attack; also brings you down to 1 life
You're at 1 Endurance, your opponent is at 4
Use Penance Stare on Julia.

Final Endurance totals: You 1, Opponent 0

You win.

captainspud