• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Pulp Fiction

Started by Green Hornet, August 10, 2007, 06:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Hornet

Pulp Fiction: I am in the level with Dr cyclops and the Nazis.  the problem I knock some of the Nazis in to the walls and they don't come out or knock out the roof and they walk on top of the walls.  They are unreachable in these states.  The explosions will knock them into walls never to be found.  I beat all of them except for the one that got blasted into the walls.  This happens in outer rooms. I noticed when I ko them they roll around on the floor until they disappear.  Now I am trying to beat the level by beating each group and saving incase someone gets blasted into the wall or ceiling. Any fix for this?   :rickbm

catwhowalksbyhimself

I've seen this kind of thing happen in rare occasions before, and it seems to be a glitch with the game engine itself.

rmt

I still can't duplicate the error so I'm afraid I still can't help.

Green Hornet, do you have the camera zooms set manually in your init.py file?  I still think that might be helpful to try.  I can tell you some lines to put in it if you want to see if it makes a difference.  Otherwise, your quicksave solution may serve you best.  I would also recommend using hypnosis to get the Nazis to shoot and bludgeon each other rather than trying to take them all out yourself.

Green Hornet

Just finished Pulp Fiction very good mod last level was a challenge.  Very surprising ending.  Thank you for all the work you put into this it was very enjoyable.   :rickbm

rmt

I'm glad you liked it, GH.  I'm kind of fond of the ending myself (translation: it's a perfect built in excuse for anything I screwed up in the bouncing time line or that otherwise didn't make perfect sense).  It's also a good way to explain some of the seemingly random villains, such as Dr. Hayes and Dr. Rayes.

Haven't had much luck with the conversion for  :ffvstr: so I'm guessing my audience is pretty limited.  Will take Catwhowalksbyhimself's advice and see if GogglesPizanno can help with the maps.  Otherwise, I'm going to have to scrap it and decide whether it's worth doing any sort of PF sequel or whether it's back to other projects (my list is long but I'm so very easily distracted.  Discovering there's a pinball equivalent of MAME did not help).  The ending boxes me in with the sequel, but I have an idea that just *might* work.  Just haven't decided if it's worthwhile.  Niche audience for the older game and all that.

earl of bronze

Ok, I just found the board again yesterday after my old links were down for months. I dled this mod and was having a great time. However I have a problem with the Dr Cyclops mission on top of the skyscraper. I koed the priestess by knocking her of the building and failed. I got her own minions to beat her down to 1 hp and she wouldn't go down. What do I need to do to complete the level?

rmt

I've realized in converting the mod to  :ffvstr: that I should have made the priestess too heavy to knock back.  She is not supposed to die (the 1 hp is a minimum health setting).  To get past the level, you are supposed to kill the Goon and the Dwarves before a certain time limit hits.  If you fail, she kills the sacrifice and you lose (having her knocked off the building must have broken the code).  If you succeed...

[spoiler]

She still kills the sacrifice but at least you get to move on to the next level.

[/spoiler]

earl of bronze

How am I supposed to kill all the dwarves?I just tried that and still had the Goon and two dwarves on the far corners of the building left when time ran out. I have tried hypnotizing them and using the force beam on others but no luck. At this point I would a cheat to skip the level if I could. (not a fan of Doc Cyclops)

rmt

If you are good with the knockback attack, you can line the dwarves up and easily toss them to their deaths in one shot (sometimes two).  Always use overpowered attacks when you do this.

You ignore the Priestess, so that just leaves the goon to have to deal with personally.

As for cheating, if you have your console on, type:

print getAllBaddies()

That will give you a list of the names of all the villains.   You can then kill them manually.  E.g.,

kill('goon')

Just don't kill the Priestess.

Personally I'm not a fan of Dr. Cyclops but I am very much a fan of Dwarftossing.  I miss seeing them truly fall to their deaths in the  :ffvstr: version of the mod.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteI miss seeing them truly fall to their deaths in the  ffvstr version of the mod.

Shouldn't you be able to script something similar?

earl of bronze

Quote from: rmt on September 08, 2007, 05:14:31 PM
If you are good with the knockback attack, you can line the dwarves up and easily toss them to their deaths in one shot (sometimes two).  Always use overpowered attacks when you do this.

You ignore the Priestess, so that just leaves the goon to have to deal with personally.

As for cheating, if you have your console on, type:

print getAllBaddies()

That will give you a list of the names of all the villains.   You can then kill them manually.  E.g.,

kill('goon')

Just don't kill the Priestess.

Personally I'm not a fan of Dr. Cyclops but I am very much a fan of Dwarftossing.  I miss seeing them truly fall to their deaths in the  :ffvstr: version of the mod.

I am not sure what you mean by having my console on. It's been a long time since I played FF but I thought there was a cheat to skip a level. I keep ending up with dwarves on the ledge below. :angry:

catwhowalksbyhimself

And he just told you one way of doing it.  Another is the command Mission_Win().

Either way, you MUST have the console activated.  The console comes on when you hit the ` key, IF you have it activated first.

I don't remember right off the top of my head where you activate it, but I'm sure someone else can help.

rmt

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 08, 2007, 07:20:47 PM
And he just told you one way of doing it.  Another is the command Mission_Win().

Either way, you MUST have the console activated.  The console comes on when you hit the ` key, IF you have it activated first.

I don't remember right off the top of my head where you activate it, but I'm sure someone else can help.

The reason I avoided that was you don't get the CP bonuses I scripted.  You could type

play(outro1)

for the same effect of cheating immediately but not losing the bonus.

On the fall, there is something odd about  :ffvstr: that forces the dwarves to arc back towards the building and strands them on the bottom ledge (not the lower ledge where Dr Cyclops starts, the one way below that at the top of the clouds).  I couldn't figure it out, GogglesPizanno couldn't figure it out.  I got around it by raising the height of the death marker so that a fall to the lowest ledge kills.  It's just not as visually cool as seeing them fall into the clouds.  But it keeps the gameplay intact, so not a huge deal.

earl of bronze

Quote from: rmt on September 08, 2007, 07:35:09 PM
Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on September 08, 2007, 07:20:47 PM

The reason I avoided that was you don't get the CP bonuses I scripted.  You could type

play(outro1)

for the same effect of cheating immediately but not losing the bonus.

On the fall, there is something odd about  :ffvstr: that forces the dwarves to arc back towards the building and strands them on the bottom ledge (not the lower ledge where Dr Cyclops starts, the one way below that at the top of the clouds).  I couldn't figure it out, GogglesPizanno couldn't figure it out.  I got around it by raising the height of the death marker so that a fall to the lowest ledge kills.  It's just not as visually cool as seeing them fall into the clouds.  But it keeps the gameplay intact, so not a huge deal.

Thanks, I was tired of that level and about ready to quit. Now I was able to finish and it was a good mod.

BentonGrey

Hey RMT, I just thought I'd pop my head in here and say how utterly much I'm enjoying your mod.  Sorry I didn't comment sooner, but I've been keeping myself rather busy.  I really do enjoy this though, and I'm really loving all the pulpy goodness!

rmt

Now there's a Sophie's Choice.  Get praise for PF or get more productivity on the DCU according to Benton Grey.  Decisions, decisions...   :P

BentonGrey

Haha, well, I'm afraid you've got yourself to blame for the DCU taking me a little extra time to finish, I've been playing your mod some instead of working on mine! ^_^

rmt

All part of my master plan to make sure the world doesn't get ahead of me since I'm out of town most of this week.  MWAH-HA-HA!

(Not really folks.  Don't send hate mail.  Or at least send them to the yahoo account I never check).

:P

Uncle Yuan

bkeefe

Anyone have any advice on how to get this mod to work for the Mac version?  I managed to get it to work up to the first mission with the Truth but then I couldn't advance.  I've tinkered with it and now I can't play the first mission again, or any missions for that matter.  I don't know how I made it work in the first place.

Previsionary

helps to note which version you're playing. There's no mod launcher for Mac on ffvttr, but there is one for ff1.

bkeefe

It is ff1.  I did get it up and running again, and have been using the console to finish missions that don't seem to want to finish.

TJHoenecke

Is there a walkthrough available for the FF version of Pulp Fiction?  I'm stuck in the first part with the dreameater ants!

rmt

Quote from: TJHoenecke on October 14, 2008, 05:54:19 PM
Is there a walkthrough available for the FF version of Pulp Fiction?  I'm stuck in the first part with the dreameater ants!

I don't think I ever did a walkthrough.  You may find some gameplay hints in some of the old threads for the game.  For the first level...

[spoiler]

Six Gun Sam's Taunt is the key.  He needs to run into the packs of ants and use a double overpowered taunt attack, then get the heck out of dodge.  While the ants are biting each other, Dreamweaver should hit the pack with a double overpowered gas gun attack.  They're resistant, but with double overpower, you get decent damage.  Basically you need to use the terrain to deal with the main pack of ants without luring the stragglers into the room.  You should do your best to keep them enraged at all times, as their bites do more damage to each other than much of anything else.  Sam's pistol is decent when overpowered, but energy conservation is needed to make sure he can taunt when needed.  You can sometimes use his pull attack or the knockback from his pistol to set up a pack for the taunt attack, but mostly it's run into the group, taunt (making sure Dreamweaver is not in the range of the taunt) and run out).  It's a tough level but basically that's the best strategy I can suggest.

There's a phase two with Dreamweaver and Daphne's ghostly husband, so you may want to quicksave after the dreameaters.  It's not difficult, but it may catch you off guard the first time as you have to act pretty quickly.  If Ralph (the husband) catches you, you're almost guaranteed to die, and he cannot be affected by any attack as he has his "physical" property set to where the game engine will not affect him, even though he can attack you.

[/spoiler]

RiddleMeThis

BentonGrey

Howdy RMT!  I just wanted to let you know that I just finished Pulp Fiction today (taking the day off for my birthday) and I absolutely loved it!  I have been in the mood lately for this kind of adventure, and it was the perfect balm.  Great work!