• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Raimi Talks Spidey 4 Villains

Started by Jakew, June 26, 2007, 04:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakew

Raimi Talks Spidey 4 Villains
By Rafe Telsch: 2007-06-26 11:33:25  www.cinemablend.com

Despite fanboy bitching and critics complaining, Spider-Man 3 has made a hell of a lot of money. Even if you only know a little bit about Hollywood, you know that means another sequel. But even before Spider-Man 3 hit screens this summer, the question was who would be back. Now we've started getting some ideas of the likelihood of one of the major players coming back for a fourth chapter: director Sam Raimi.

Raimi talked to Larry Carroll with MTV News at a recent ceremony honoring winners in a Target contest of Spider-spoofs. He confirmed that Sony was definitely making more movies, but that he didn't know what his role with them would be. "If I can't find the right story that would work for me and that I could tell really well, I would like someone else to tell that story, but if it's a great story and Sony will bring me back to the screen, I would love to." It sounds like Sam is sticking to his storytelling principles here and only wants to be involved as a filmmaker if it's a story he can get behind.

In the interview Raimi admits that he would have a hard time carrying on without franchise stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst and also mourns the loss of James Franco from the franchise. Concerns over the stars leaving has gone back as far as the talk about a fourth movie started. Maguire has perpetually been ready to finish his role as Peter Parker and Dunst was hoping the movies would steer a very different direction from the comic books in interviews prior to the third chapter of the franchise. Raimi hopes that he'll still be on board as a producer, however, if not actually directing.

As far as ideas about Spidey's opponent(s) for the next film, Raimi says he'd love to see Electro, the Vulture, or possibly the Sinister Six as a full team of villains. He also would like to reward Dylan Baker's patience with a villainous turn – his character, Dr. Curt Connors, becomes the Lizard in the Spidey canon. Regardless of his desires, Raimi has the right mindset, however, and points out that it's really the journey of Spider-Man and Peter Parker that determines who would be the right villain for the next film.

For an interview that basically says he's not certain what he'll be doing in the future, Raimi shows that he's still the right man to carry on these movies. Keeping things character driven and playing things off of the character's journey, not just what he wants to toss in the plot, is exactly what Spider-Man needs to keep doing. The only weakness Spider-Man 3 showed was when it stepped away from this and tossed things in just to get them in the movie instead of serving the product as a whole. Even without Dunst or Maguire, here's hoping Raimi keeps those webs slinging forward.

The Hitman

What I'd like to see, story- wise, is the Lizard being hunted by Kraven the Hunter. Then, Spidey's role would turn from Downtrodden Whipping Boy to Devoted Protector of his Friend/Mentor.

Film- wise, Kirsten Dunst has got to go.

Pyroclasm

I thought it odd they cast a blonde as a redhead, and then eventually bring in a redhead to be cast as a blonde.  They should have went with Bryce Dallas Howard from the beginning.  IMO, she's prettier than Kirsten and a better actress.  Maybe they can just get rid of Mary Jane and have him make up with Gwen.  Maybe they could finally bring in Felicia Hardy.

Ajax

Quote from: Pyroclasm on June 27, 2007, 03:58:17 AM
I thought it odd they cast a blonde as a redhead, and then eventually bring in a redhead to be cast as a blonde.  They should have went with Bryce Dallas Howard from the beginning.  IMO, she's prettier than Kirsten and a better actress.  Maybe they can just get rid of Mary Jane and have him make up with Gwen.  Maybe they could finally bring in Felicia Hardy.

I found that strange too and agree with you that the franchise would be better without Dunst. Though I have a nagging fear that if they do get rid of MJ, marvel would use it as an excuse to ditch her in the comics too. Especially since Quesda hates the fact that Peter is married to MJ and has stated numerous times that if he comes across a good story that gets rid of her, he will run with it.

Hopefully it won't be the sinister six, SP3 was to crowded, imagine what SP4 would be like with 8+ characters (counting Peter, Mary Jane, and etc).

BlueBard

1) Please, no Felicia Hardy.  The only reason to introduce that character in the movies is the same reason they introduced her into the comic book... someone to fill out a skintight cat suit.  There are a lot of Spidey stories I want to see on the big screen and that isn't one of them.  The Black Cat did turn out to be an interesting character, but there's no way they could do her justice in one movie.

2) Yeah, I like the notion of a Spidey/Lizard/Kraven dust-up.  Sinister Six -could- be done, but they'd have to build up to that in a forerunning movie.  Maybe do Green Goblin sending Electro and Rhino after the webhead.  Can you imagine the wisecracking potential in a Rhino battle?  They gotta do that just for the old-time Spidey fans :)

3) Do it.  Ditch MJ for awhile.  Do the Gwen Stacey thing, kill her off just like in the comic book.  Then bring back MJ with a different actress.  Nothing against Kirsten, but if she wants out that's the best way to go.

4) Note to Marvel: If we come to see a Spider-Man movie, we don't want face time.  We want MASK-TIME.  And for pete's sake, no more emo looks or un-Parkerish attitude.  Just seeing the hair flipping clip decided me on staying away from SM 3.

Kommando

Quote from: BlueBard on June 27, 2007, 01:15:13 PM
4) Note to Marvel: If we come to see a Spider-Man movie, we don't want face time.  We want MASK-TIME.  And for pete's sake, no more emo looks or un-Parkerish attitude.  Just seeing the hair flipping clip decided me on staying away from SM 3.

Problem here is that face time is a heavy negotiating point when getting an actor to sign a contract.  Try telling Tobey's agent that he's going to spend most of the movie doing voice over to CGI, and see what happens.  Contract negotiations are not heavily motivated to the minority demographic of fandom.

As for the MJ problem.  I gotta perfect way to fix that.  We bring in Russell T Davies to write the script, and *boom*, or should I say...  wait for it...  *poof*

Gay spider-man   :lol:

Jakew

next three movies:

* Mary Jane's relationship with Peter is done and she gets some modelling work in Europe. Peter starts seeing Gwen Stacy. Lizard and Kravinoff the hunter ... perhaps Kraven can be after Doc Connors information on gene splicing, they butt heads, Connors gets transformed, Kravinoff becomes the hero of manhattan as he vows to track down the monster, Spidey swings into action. Captain Stacy is killed by Kraven, who frames spider-man. At the end, Peter is informed an old friend has returned from Europe ... Norman Osborne (resurrected by the healing factor Harry displayed in Spidey 3).

* A gang of weak amateur supervillains is formed, realising that they only have a chance against Spidey by acting as a team (Rhino, Shocker, Vulture, Mysterio, Scorpion ... and Sandman). Funded by a Norman Osborne and J Jonah Jameson, they battle spider-man until Sandman defects and helps defeat them. Green Goblin kills Gwen Stacy and maybe the Sandman, and after battling spider-man, manages to escape, leaving him devastated.

* Mary Jane returns from Europe after hearing about Peter's troubles. Peter is plotting to kill Norman Osborne, who has given up his Green Goblin identity, knowing Peter can't take action against him unless he's in costume ..........

Protomorph

Quote from: Pyroclasm on June 27, 2007, 03:58:17 AM

Hey!

Get off my page.

I've been saying that for awhile now. As well as my disgust over "face time". Only the conceited actors even care about that. "You will be playing a guy in a mask. If you cannot deal with that, the door is behind you." If they feel they cannot emote for the camera without showing their eyes, send them back to acting school. I'm surprised they didn't redesign the Spidey mask to be more like Batman's, with the exposed mouth and jaw. Give them time...

Ajax

Am I the only one who thinks the glass/plastic eyes on the mask take away from the Spidey essense? I don't mind them but it takes away from some of the charisma that is Spidey. If they do a Deadpool movie they have to figure out a way to make the eyes emote, maybe do a green/blue screen mask or eye pieces.

Zippo

Please no. There didn't need to be a Spider-man 2, let alone 4. I can't believe that these movies are doing as well as they are...

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteThere didn't need to be a Spider-man 2,

You sir, are sick and need help.  It would be more accurate to say that there didn't need to be a spider-man 1.  2 was awesome.

The Pwime

I'm going to pretend he meant "Spider-Man 3"...

crimsonquill

Uhm, yeah... Zippo had to be making a mistake there. Spider-Man 3 really was subpar as far as story development went because too much had to be shoehorned into a 2 hour film - and Venom just wasn't quite scary enough for an evil symbiote directed by the same guy who did Evil Dead. So, I can see that this trilogy ended on a bad note for following Raimi's previous films.

But comic book movies are hardly lining up to be dud after dud like New World's pervious Marvel film attempts and thankfully only two of those managed to escape onto screen (Captain America and Punisher, maybe Fantastic Four if you count the limited screenings that it had).

- CrimsonQuill

Darth Ninja

What i would REALLY like to see is Bruce Campbell as Mysterio...and for Kirsten Dunst to never be in Spider-Man movies ever again. Heck, i could be a better Mary Jane...probably not though.

Zippo

Meh, I really haven't enjoyed any of the spider-man's very much. While I agree that the first two were much better than the 3rd, and I can see why some people must've liked them, I personally didn't find 'em that appealing, mainly due to Toby Mcguire's acting. 

Ares_God_of_War

Quote from: Darth Ninja on June 28, 2007, 07:53:48 PM
What i would REALLY like to see is Bruce Campbell as Mysterio

I completely agree with this statement and have been thinking that for a while. I love Bruce and I think his style of acting would be perfect for Quentin Beck

catwhowalksbyhimself

I thought Toby was the perfect choice of actor.

Pyroclasm

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on June 29, 2007, 11:05:32 PM
I thought Toby was the perfect choice of actor.
I agree.  Before seeing any of the movies I thought he was a good casting choice.  After seeing them I feel he was a GREAT casting choice.  I'm not sure I'd see further sequels in the theatre if the franchise continued without him.

thanoson

I agree as well. Tobey is Peter. Not sure why everyone hates the walking scene so much. It was in Spidey 2 as well. He was just not as sure of himself. I think everyone just loves to hate "emos". I swear, 10 years ago the term to hate would have been goths. Not sure why everyone has the negative stigma against them. Other than that, I thought the movie was good, just very rushed at the end. Seriously, the movie company would have made more money if they wouldn't have jumped the shark with Venom. He could have been the whole next movies villain by himself. Hopefully, they will listen to what the fans say next time.

The Pwime

The walking scene in Spidey 2 did NOT involve random pelvic thrusting in the middle of New York...

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on June 29, 2007, 10:07:08 PM
Quote from: Darth Ninja on June 28, 2007, 07:53:48 PM
What i would REALLY like to see is Bruce Campbell as Mysterio

I completely agree with this statement and have been thinking that for a while. I love Bruce and I think his style of acting would be perfect for Quentin Beck

That's what I've been saying too. I think Bruce Campbell as Mysterio would be a great idea. Fans of the comics would probably be happy, and Bruce Campbell fans would probably be happy to see more Bruce Campbell. I've never even SEEN the Evil Dead films and I still thought he was fantastic in his cameos in the three movies (my favourite was the "obnoxious usher", personally)

I've actually really started to like the idea of Lizard as the next possible Spider-Man villain. He was played up as a pretty serious villain in the early comics, Conners has already appeared in the movies played by a decent actor, and while most of Spidey's villains are basically just thugs, Lizard often wanted to create a race of lizard men to take over the world.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to use Vulture as a villain in a Spider-Man movie.  Aging bald man in a feathered bird suit-how do you play that up to be taken seriously on the big screen?

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, they pulled off an overweight insane man with mechanical arms, didn't they?

Ares_God_of_War

I would love at the very end of the series to have Willem DaFor reprise his role as Norman. That and Bruce being Mysterio would be awesome

Flying_Infant

I've seen many a mixed reviews on 3, more bad than good, but I will rent it when it comes out to see myself.

Spidey 1 & 2 were ok, but not anything stunning.

What gets me is that we've got a new Spidey cartoon coming soon, and its probably going to be 10 times better than the movies...kinda like the DCAU is better than the movies.

(And yes, I know, long running 30 minute shows can get more in over time, but still, the writers for the animated shows seem to "get" the characters they're writing for, and the movie writers don't.)

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteSpidey 1 & 2 were ok, but not anything stunning.

WHAT!

Back away. Back slowly away. No sudden moves.  Don't let him know that I'm about to call the sanitarium.

Flying_Infant

QuoteDon't let him know that I'm about to call the sanitarium.

Feh. Won't do any good. I've been there already. :p