• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Fallout 3 is out!!!

Started by Verfall, June 05, 2007, 10:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GogglesPizanno

QuoteFallout 3 should be a traditional story based turn-based RPG with tactical elements.  This is a first person shooter with RPG elements.  The setting may be the same, they may even have nailed it, but it doesn't not interest me at all.  Fallout 1 interested me, as did 2, as would any real 3, but this is a very differnet genre of game and therefore is not a sequal in any true sense.

But the last one had a "2" at the end.
This one has a "3"
Ask anyone in Hollywood or at EA... thats a sequel...  ;)

I suppose in fairness you could actually call it the next in the series of Fallout games (which would also allow you to include the before mentioned Tactics and Brotherhood of Steel). But I'm still standing by my original argument that even if its just sharing ideas, settings and concepts alone, if its fun and I enjoy it, who cares if its technically definable as a sequel or not. In my mind it is. Its the next in the Series... like it, hate it, or otherwise. At that point to me its just a matter of semantics.

I understand your argument though, you are certainly not the first person to share it, I just don't necessarily agree.

crimsonquill

Fallout 3 falls into the same catagory that Grand Theft Auto is in... Grand Theft Auto, Grand Theft Auto: UK, and Grand Theft Auto 2 were top-down moderately bloody shoot-em-up/driving games that ran on older Windows systems (and the PSOne) but held a rather loyal fan base for the limited story they told..

Grand Theft Auto 3 came along with a completely new game engine that suddenly put you into a full interactive 3D world but now you were fully appearing on screen in 3rd person perspective just behind the character (except for using guns where you get to see the scope view) and the horribly addictive driving mode. Fallout 3 just took the most advanced first-person shooter engine (which also had a 3rd person view) and revamped the story so it could be told from the point of view of the character you are playing. Not really too much of a difference - loyal GTA fans complained that their own game engine change ruined the old school arcade game quality but grew to love playing in the whole new playground which not only allowed you to play the core game but added freeplay as well and had tons of secrets and easter eggs built into it.

I'm just starting to play around with the game myself but I am having that same feeling all over again when I picked up GTA3 for the first time..

- CQ

BWPS

Quote from: Talavar on October 29, 2008, 11:17:42 PM
I'm also annoyed that the gaming media is using this as another opportunity to show how irrelevent they are - Fallout 3 has already received a bunch of perfect scores.  No matter how good a game is, none of them are perfect.  And how many games receive these sort of masturbatory reviews at release, only to be criticized later when an expansion or sequel comes out to improve upon that perfection?  It's not a low number these days.

Every major gaming site has 9+ reviews up for sale. Which really blows and makes them lose all credibility.

daerdevil

Feel free to be annoyed.  Me?  I'm just happy to have another installment to the Fallout series, be it a "true" sequel or not.  I never felt that after a 10 year gap (during which most of the turn based commercial releases dried up) a Fallout 3 using it's predecessor's engine/gameplay would likely resurface.  True, those are two of the best games ever and rank up there with my all time favorite, X-com:UFO Defense.  Unfortunately, those styles of games don't seem marketable today, meaning not likely to be made.  I'm looking forward to playing what looks to be the true heir to Fallout 2, just as GTA3 replaced GTA2 (as posted earlier).  I like the idea of being able to see my beloved Post-Apocalyptic America from the first person point of view as if seen by my own eyes. 

As for the press?  Well, maybe they hit the nail on the head, and this is truly a great game.  After seeing the amount of hype and praise they lavish on other titles, do we expect this to be different.  I do what most other gamers do, and take them for what they're worth...someone else's $0.02. 

Talavar

I'm not quite so hardcore that I think a Fallout game needs to be turn-based (though I would like it to be), but it needs to be a serious RPG, not an FPS with RPG elements. 

GogglesPizanno

Thats the fundamental problem -- is what defines a "serious" RPG...
There were people that considered Diablo an RPG.

And I don't necessarily accept that Fallout 3 is a FPS with RPG elements. In my mind its a FPRPG.
Like was mentioned earlier its much more in the Sandbox GTA style of gaming. While that may cut down on what some would consider RPG game mechanics in some sense, it also opens up a lot of other immersive RPG stuff that a 2d top down turn based game cant be.

But its all just an issue of personal preference.
Its a fallout game as far as Im concerned, and one that thus far I find to be a lot of fun (all the over-hyping notwithstanding).

And Liam Neeson is my dad...

daerdevil

Quote from: Talavar on October 30, 2008, 11:29:59 AM
I'm not quite so hardcore that I think a Fallout game needs to be turn-based (though I would like it to be), but it needs to be a serious RPG, not an FPS with RPG elements. 

I'd actually prefer the turn-based which is why the VATS game mechanic looks appealing to me.  I'm hoping that the RPG elements live up to its ancestry.  In full disclosure, I've yet to play the game...it's still in the shiny plastic wrapper.  Unfortunately, due to some family obligations, I probably won't get a chance to check it out for awhile.  In any event, I'm just giving Fallout 3 a chance, as everything I've seen, heard, and read seems to back up that it's a great game.

The Phantom Eyebrow

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on October 30, 2008, 12:26:44 PM
And Liam Neeson is my dad...

Well you're scarcely an unbiased critic then are you, young Master Neeson... :P

Actually I'm very interested in this; from all I've heard it does sound like an Oblivion type game in a Fallout type setting, only with the bad elements of Oblivion removed.  Which is very nice.

But there are Just Too Many Good New Games being released these days!

Epimethee

Quote from: JeyNyce on July 06, 2007, 09:50:39 AM
I really want to kick myself, because I saw Fallout 1 & 2 on sale for $9.99 and I didn't pick it up.  Now I can't find either game. :doh:
1, 2 and Tactics are also available on Good Old Games. No-DRM downloads for 6$ each. Bough the second game there recently.

Tortuga

Got it for the 360.  It's been plenty of fun.  Personally, I prefer 3rd person shooting games (I like seeing my character/costumes, etc.) but I get a taste of that in the slow-mo shot sequences.

lugaru

Quote from: Tortuga on October 30, 2008, 08:38:30 PM
Got it for the 360.  It's been plenty of fun.  Personally, I prefer 3rd person shooting games (I like seeing my character/costumes, etc.) but I get a taste of that in the slow-mo shot sequences.

If you click middle mouse you go into third person, and they do the over the shoulder off to one side style that is popular in 3rd person shooters. Loving it so far, disagreeing massively with all the people who hate the new FPS style of gameplay and this is coming from somebody who finished 1, 2 AND tactics. Then again I do write game criticism so maybe I'm part of the fan hating media...

BWPS

I figured I'd post this in here.

GameTap is now offering Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics for free, that's right, zero dollars. Check it out.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm afraid you're mistaken there.

You can play 1 for free, if you download their player.  You can't actually download the game, but at least you can play it.

2 you can play only if you are paying for their service.  Not a bad deal, but still not free.

Tactics isn't even available yet, but probably will be the same thing as 2.

Unless there's some special promotional link you're not sharing with us.

BWPS

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 02, 2008, 12:12:15 PM

You can play 1 for free, if you download their player.  You can't actually download the game, but at least you can play it.

2 you can play only if you are paying for their service.  Not a bad deal, but still not free.

Yes this actually. I failed and I'm sorry. When I read it from an article link, it looked like it said that all three were out, so I downloaded 1 and didn't really investigate much further.

Verfall

For those complaining...

[spoiler]Me and Eugene would like a word with you
[/spoiler]

Yes...I am loving this game as much as I loved the first two and Tactics. The only Fallout game so far that has not sucked me in like a tornado was the Xbox one of whose name should never be spoken.

JeyNyce

Even better, if you go to www.gog.com (Good Old Games) you can get both for $5.99 each (DRM Free) plus extras.  They also have games like earth worm jim.

daerdevil

Quote from: Epimethee on October 30, 2008, 07:31:13 PM
Quote from: JeyNyce on July 06, 2007, 09:50:39 AM
I really want to kick myself, because I saw Fallout 1 & 2 on sale for $9.99 and I didn't pick it up.  Now I can't find either game. :doh:
1, 2 and Tactics are also available on Good Old Games. No-DRM downloads for 6$ each. Bough the second game there recently.
Quote from: JeyNyce on November 04, 2008, 06:19:00 AM

Even better, if you go to www.gog.com (Good Old Games) you can get both for $5.99 each (DRM Free) plus extras.  They also have games like earth worm jim.

Can't find my Fallout 2 disc (box and manual still present...hmm) so I might have to shell out the $6.  But, alas, I picked up Fallout 3 for the 360, and have no time to play it :(

UnfluffyBunny

to be pedantic, its based in the fallout universe and set 30 years after the last game, involving story elemnts used in the last game.
sequel
Noun
1. a novel, play, or film that continues the story of an earlier one
2. anything that happens after or as a result of something else: there was an amusing sequel to this incident [Latin sequi to follow]
wether the gameplay is different or not is irrelevant, it's a continuation of the story, aka, a sequal.
and no matter which way you spin it, fallout 3 = win

catwhowalksbyhimself

Seeing that the definition itself only specifically applies to novels, plays, and films, it is irrelvant.

That being said, glad you enjoy it, but I don't like what I've seen of it as well.  I want my Fallout 3 tactical RPG game.  In other words a real sequel, not this spin off pretending to be a sequel.

Previsionary

really? You can't possibly keep arguing this sequel thing. You may not like the new gameplay or whateverage, but it's a continuation of a story previously told. Sequel applies directly TO the "story" or events that took place...not the mechanics. It's a blanket term that applies to all media that evolves writing/story telling functions. Gravy.

This is typically why words have more than one definition to cover broad usage. Otherwise games and books that serve as sequels to movies would need new names altogether and you can't argue that a game functions similarly to a movie. Though, the term has been used to classify a series of games and not so much the story as is the case for MP shooters like...Quake. ^_^

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually, form what I understand, it actually doesn't continue the actual storyline, just adds a new one in the same world.

The fact is, it's a completely different kind of game, which to me means it's a spin off.  Define the words how you like, most sequals do not throw away the gameplay of the previous one and do something completely different.

GogglesPizanno

Ladies and gentlemen if you watch to your left you will see them coming around again for another pass.

.....VROOM....

And there they go.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yeah, I'm removing myself from the discussion.  You already know my opinion and I shouldn't have brought it up again.

captmorgan72

I don't know anything at all about this series but was looking at this one and thinking it looked very interesting. Do I have to be versed in the last two installments or not to really enjoy Fallout 3?

GogglesPizanno

QuoteDo I have to be versed in the last two installments or not to really enjoy Fallout 3?

Nope.

MJB

Here's a quick question for all of you Fallout 3 Vets...

Is this worth a rent or a purchase?

-MJB

Carravaggio

Quote from: GogglesPizanno on November 08, 2008, 10:35:37 PM
QuoteDo I have to be versed in the last two installments or not to really enjoy Fallout 3?

Nope.

But you will enjoy it more if you know the lore.

Quote from: MJB on November 09, 2008, 01:43:31 AM

-MJB

I'd say buy it, but I plan on modding up a storm with it on PC, and that reason doesn't really apply to consoles. You could rent it and beat it in a few days if you were so inclined, the ending sort of goes along at a breakneck pace (but is cool as all get out).
EDIT: To clarify, the events leading up to the ending are cool, the ending itself is a dud, and very non-typical of other fallout games, not even keeping the same format  :verf I use the Verfall emote to show that the poor ending sequence made my eyes bleed out of rage.

UnfluffyBunny

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on November 08, 2008, 07:08:19 PM
Actually, form what I understand, it actually doesn't continue the actual storyline, just adds a new one in the same world.

I thought by mentioning that it used elements from the last game and being set 30 years after the last implied it was a continuation, my mistake, i'll explain further for you next time >_>

and that quote was taken from a dictionary, i'm fairly certain it could be argued that computer games as a genre could be included as it is another media of telling a story, calling it invalid ased on the fact it dousnt say games in the quote is pretty close minded...

Talavar

Quote from: captmorgan72 on November 08, 2008, 08:51:43 PM
I don't know anything at all about this series but was looking at this one and thinking it looked very interesting. Do I have to be versed in the last two installments or not to really enjoy Fallout 3?

In fact, it's probably better if you aren't.

As I understand it, the storyline of Fallout 3 is not a sequel to those of Fallout 1 & 2.  It shares the setting, but is an unrelated story that is not a continuation.  This is only from what I've read and heard though; maybe there is some connection to the original Vault Dweller or his descendants that I'm unaware of.

daerdevil

Quote from: MJB on November 09, 2008, 01:43:31 AM

-MJB

Tough call.  It's definitely rentable in that it's a great game in it's own merit, but can be completed fairly quickly (MQ is 12-20 hours).  It's worth owning for the replay value.  You can disregard the MQ and just enjoy the post-apocalyptic Washington area.  There's a possibility of DLC for consoles and of course the mods will extend the life of the PC version, hopefully, indefinitely. 

Me, my PC is too old for it, so I settled with the xbox360 version, and have been enjoying it immensely.  I'll probably look into upgrading once some serious mods come out, but it's just too nice of a game for me to pass up at the moment.

And for those that want a true tactical version, modders might be able to eventually come up with a more involved VATS mode (the limited turn-based mode).

|