• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Any ideas?

Started by NeoDarke, June 05, 2007, 03:22:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeoDarke

Let's see here... I've been out of the game for over a month and a half, mostly because of (a.) running out of time and money being tight, and (b.) because my PC won't talk to my monitor anymore. So, at trying to get my PC working; we tried to see if it was the monitor I had, so I ended up switching it with another we had. That was a no go. We ended up trying three different monitors, as well as putting in a new video card, and still nothing.

So, I was wondering if any of you have any ideas. All of the monitor's work, it's just that they say No signal output (And yes, that is with the PC on). I know we're running out of ideas. As things stand, I may end up having to put it in the shop, but I'm not sure when I can do that because of money. So, any input would be most helpful.

Thank you.

BlueBard

Quote from: NeoDarke on June 05, 2007, 03:22:08 AM
Let's see here... I've been out of the game for over a month and a half, mostly because of (a.) running out of time and money being tight, and (b.) because my PC won't talk to my monitor anymore. So, at trying to get my PC working; we tried to see if it was the monitor I had, so I ended up switching it with another we had. That was a no go. We ended up trying three different monitors, as well as putting in a new video card, and still nothing.

So, I was wondering if any of you have any ideas. All of the monitor's work, it's just that they say No signal output (And yes, that is with the PC on). I know we're running out of ideas. As things stand, I may end up having to put it in the shop, but I'm not sure when I can do that because of money. So, any input would be most helpful.

Thank you.

So... you know all of the monitors work.  And I assume that you know that the new video card works.

That doesn't leave too many possibilities left.  The video cable between the PC and the monitor should be checked if it's removable.  You can probably already rule that out, but it doesn't hurt to be thorough.

Another possibility is a bad slot on the motherboard... maybe the card isn't getting power or maybe something else.  If it's a PCI card, you might try putting it in a different slot and see what happens.  If it's an AGP card, there's most often only one slot for that and you won't be able to try another slot.  Since you're not getting signal, this is more likely than anything else I'm telling you to try.

Also, look to see if there is a jumper for disabling onboard video.  Some older motherboards don't automatically disable it when they detect that a video card has been installed, and it could cause a conflict.  I doubt you have a motherboard like this, but it's worth looking at.  I would think you'd still get signal, though, even if no actual video.

Another possibility is that something could be wrong with your main memory in a memory address relating to video.  You can try shuffling your memory modules.  I think you'd get signal anyway, but I don't know.  This is unlikely, but again it depends on how old your PC is and who made it.  Don't handle the memory modules without taking precautions against static shock... touch the metal frame to discharge any static electricity before you touch anything, only handle them by the edges, and for gosh sakes don't wear a fuzzy sweater and bunny slippers while standing on a shag carpet.

If you can rule out a bad slot and bad memory, you're probably going to have to have a pro take a look.  It could be motherboard, which would be bad.  A shop can plug in a special diagnostic card which will tell them very quickly if the motherboard is bad.  It might not cost a lot just to have them look at it.