• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Looking for a tutorial for adding sounds to FFvTTR

Started by SingleMalt, May 28, 2007, 07:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SingleMalt

I am really stumped on how to add sound effects. I saw CaptainMorgan's post where he said "I found a folder in my ffx3 folder called sounds and in that a folder called powers and in that a bunch of excellent sound effects in wave sound format. I must have downloaded these awhile ago and forgot about them. How can I use these sound effects in my FFvTTR game?" I looked for this and found it too. There are some really great sound effects in there but how the heck do you use them? I tried to use the add feature in FFEdit and add the sound effects to the fx that way but it didn't work. Anyone know how to do this?

Panther_Gunn

As I stated in that other thread, I haven't played with FFEdit for  :ffvstr: yet, but I recommend you d/l a couple of single FX zips from FXForce, and have a read through their install instructions.  While not specifically tailored for  :ffvstr:, it should get you on the right track, especially in regards to how some of the tabs in FFEdit tend to work. (for instance, the Add button is only for creating a new entry to attach sound files to)

If requested, I could look up a couple that I have that came with custom sounds, and see if I can recommend specific packs to d/l.  That is, unless someone else makes this infinitely more clear before I do.  ^_^

SingleMalt

I did as you suggested but none of the directions helped me. For some reason I can't get the lightning bolt fx to have sound. If you like I can send you the fx and see if you can give it sound. The fact that I have a folder with fantastic sound effects in data/sounds/powers and can't figure out how to use them is driving me crazy.

Previsionary

the install directions for ff1 don't really work for ffvttr. You'll find that no one is really answering this question because no one really remembers how sounds work in ffvttr. We had it figured out once...but that was ages ago before the boards crashed...the first time, not the second. So until someone takes the time to experiment or you find out on your own, and it's effectively added to the wiki, you'll have to go soundless or use sounds that already work inside of ffvttr.

SingleMalt

Ahh so that is why no one is answering. I thought it was me, whew. Oh well, at least I know I am not losing my mind. Bummer though, all those great sound effects and they can't be used.

Previsionary

Ok, this is largely untested, but im assuming since it worked in ffedit, it should also work in game.

• Step 1: Unzip Sounds.ff- This is needed to play any sound in ffedit and it will also make the sounds folder where you WILL NEED to install any custom sound
  • step 2: place any and all custom sounds in the newly created Sounds folder
  • step 3: add the sound to an fx...im assuming you know how to do this
  • step 4: test to see if the sound plays in ffedit
  • step 5: try the sound in game

[edit] with a quick test, i've realized the sounds do work in game if you follow the above steps.

SingleMalt

I couldn't find any sounds.ff to unzip or it is already unzipped. I did the rest but the sounds still will not play in ffedit or in the game.

Previsionary

sound.ff is here: Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\Data

and you can find it on the game cd

SingleMalt

Ok, I extracted sounds.ff and it created the sounds folder like you said. I tried to add sound effects to a fx using the add button in the wave file box but it still would not play the sound in the editor or ingame.

Panther_Gunn

Just some random questions:

Can you play the extracted sound files in the editor?

When trying to attach the sound to a FX, are you browsing for the location of the file, to get the full path info?

It's also possible that the files themselves are not the proper formatting for the game (the first game would sometimes have issues with sound files done differently).

electro

Yep sometimes when i add sounds to FX they do not work - weither its do to pitch tweaking or what but, I do get alot of them to play - its kinda a trial and error - as for sampling with the editor you can sample and custom sound you place in the game but, you cannot sample ingame sounds - my Sound Path in FFedit points to

C:\Program Files\Irrational Games\Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich\ffx3\sounds

even thow my Powers folder that holds the actual wav files is inside the Sounds folder you only need to point to the Sounds folder only - next make your primary & secondary paths point to FFX3 folder & your all set to listen & save the sounds to FX - I have pics about this on this thread

http://freedomreborn.net/archive/index.php?topic=42725.0

:ffvstr:

Previsionary

You can sample "in game sounds" as I have sampled all of them. Anyway, you need to make sure ffedit is pointing to the correct place. Where ever your sound folder is is where ffedit should be pointing to and it is also the best place to add sounds you want to attach to fx here as well otherwise it probably won't work.

It's hard to comment on anything considering im not in front of your pc and I have no real idea of what you've done...so yeah.

If you want sounds from ffx3, follow tro's setup, but you won't be able to sample any other "noncustom" sound unless you add all the ffvttr sounds into that folder...which seems kinda unnecessary and messy.

P.S. changing the primary and secondary paths barely affects sounds. That mostly affects meshes and mods and such.

electro

Quote from: Previsionary on May 30, 2007, 05:17:41 PMP.S. changing the primary and secondary paths barely affects sounds. That mostly affects meshes and mods and such.

Yes but after he listens to a sound he might want to attach it to a FX so its wise to have them pointing in the right direction - just trying to cover all bases before he writes the file to the data FX dat - then fires up FFX & wonders why he can't hear the sound which is what I think alot of people are doing & maybe thats why there sound doesn't work for custom FX - I'm still need of a reason why some sounds work & some don't but it's not that big O deal - Hear is the setup i used for the first sound i added Saunders Song that came with Renegades Vigilante mesh "I'm Just a Lonesome Cowboy" - after i got it to work i just copyed & renamed it for each new sound i wanted to add so i didn't have to set it up again :blink:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/hulkgray/hulkgray2/255554.jpg

:ffvstr:

SingleMalt

hmm, custom sounds now play in ffedit but still will not play in the game. I made sure my primary and secondary paths point to ffx3 and sounds to ffx3 sounds. Are some of you able to get custom sounds to play in the game?

Previsionary

gotcha tro...but then, you only need to change the primary path and not the secondary.

Singlematt, send me the sounds you are trying to install and ill give it a go around.

Previsionary

after looking at the file in question, i learned that the file was saved in a way that's not compatible with the game...so...I made this:

Click

This should work for you if everything else in ffedit is correct.

SingleMalt

That worked perfectly, thank you! You need to tell me what you did to make it work, then I can get all my sound effects to work.

Previsionary

It wasn't anything all too hard. Firstly, I found a program that allowed me to change the following:

1. Lowered the bitrate to 352-353
2. changed the audio channel from 2 (stereo) to 1 (mono)
3. changed the audio sample rate to 22 kHz...though 44 should be fine as well.

Secondly, I just tested the newly created file in game to make sure it worked.

SingleMalt

SingleMalt

Never mind I found one that worked. It looks like you just need to change the channel to mono, interesting.

electro

Thanks alot guys for figuring this out - I went threw and changed all my sounds to Mono & they work well now :blink:

ehlomint

I'm trying to get some sounds to work on some FX for  :ffvstr:

I've added a new power, with new FX and new sound.  Plays fine in FFEdit, it is mono, same format as all other sounds...And I even dumped all the sounds from sounds.ff file into sounds/powers directory.

Any idea what to try next?   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

UPDATE!!  I think I got it to work....simply copy an existing FX, add a new sound to it, delete the old sound, leaving the new and presto!!