• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

"Angel: City of Angels", and "E2:Elseworlds At War" Mod previews

Started by tommyboy, May 23, 2007, 07:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommyboy

Heres where I'll be previewing two other Mods I'm working on.

Angel:City of Angels is a Freeroam Mod set in the Buffyverse Los Angeles. You get to play as Angel, Buffy and co., fighting an assortment of vampires, demons etc across what I hope will be a large selection of maps.
New and skins, new buildings, even some new maps (I hope).
Just started this week, so ETA, a month or so....

E2:Elseworlds at war is an imaginary tale set across the old DC multiverse. It takes place in a timeline where Hitler has used the Spear of Destiny to control most of the Major Superhumans on earth (Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern etc etc), kill some others, and drive the rest underground as the 3rd reich take ovber the world. You play as Wildcat, last member of the JSA still alive and free, as he tries to build an All-Star-Squadron that can take on not just the undefeated forces of Hitler, but the most powerful superheroes on earth.
I've been working on this one on and off for a long time, and am in the midst of yet another rebuild, and switching to EZscript.
ETA, several months...

More when there is more..

AfghanAnt

BentonGrey

Awesome stuff Tommy!  Haha, how do you find the time to do this?  You sir, are obviously a machine.  Anyway, I am really excited about that Earth-2 mod, and I can't wait to play grown-up Robin.  So awesome!

Lunarman

Wowee! Awesome work all round. I like the look of Else-worlds at war a lot.
I am very interested in how you modified the button layout on the main screen? please don't tell me it's a secret ;)

tommyboy

Quote from: Lunarman on May 23, 2007, 11:11:47 AM
I am very interested in how you modified the button layout on the main screen? please don't tell me it's a secret ;)

The only thing I can think of that you may be referring to is the presence of the "camp" and "load" buttons.
You get these by adding "-dev" at the end of your shortcuts.

tommyboy

If you are in LA, why not stay at the lovely Hyperion Hotel?
Angel's Base of operations, from season two on.

AfghanAnt

i can not wait for this mod seriously, it looks amazing tommy.

Arlecchino

Tommy these both look great. Between these and the LoSH mod you are giving us one heck of a gift for the summer months. Thanks

tommyboy

Angel: "note to self, dont stay out till daylight and catch fire in the sunlight..."

Lunarman

Quote from: tommyboy on May 23, 2007, 11:49:00 AM

The only thing I can think of that you may be referring to is the presence of the "camp" and "load" buttons.

interesting, I've never used them. What do they do?

tommyboy

Quote from: Lunarman on May 23, 2007, 01:32:07 PM
Quote from: tommyboy on May 23, 2007, 11:49:00 AM

interesting, I've never used them. What do they do?

Oh, I forgot you need to add to init.py or localinit.py as well:
import ff
ff.APP_DEBUGMODE = 1
DEBUG_ALLPOWERS=0

"load" will load any mission, and "camp" I can't remember right now, so seldom do I use it...

Previsionary

actually, you just need these lines to activate it:

import ff
ff.APP_DEBUGMODE = 1

and the "camp" button loads the "base" of a particular campaign mission if i remember correctly. It also allows you to play through the campaign...something the "Load" button doesn't allow.

HumanTon

Quote from: tommyboy on May 23, 2007, 07:38:08 AM
E2:Elseworlds at war is an imaginary tale set across the old DC multiverse. It takes place in a timeline where Hitler has used the Spear of Destiny to control most of the Major Superhumans on earth (Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern etc etc), kill some others, and drive the rest underground as the 3rd reich take ovber the world. You play as Wildcat, last member of the JSA still alive and free, as he tries to build an All-Star-Squadron that can take on not just the undefeated forces of Hitler, but the most powerful superheroes on earth.

Cool idea! It reminds me of a mod I plotted out right after :ffvstr: came out. It involved Hitler using a mind-controlled JSA to attack other worlds in a multiverse that contained a world for each Golden Age group of heroes. So there would be a Quality world (Uncle Sam, Plastic Man, et. al.), a Fawcett world (Marvels, Bulletman, etc.), a Timely world (Cap, Subby, Human Torch) and so on. You would have started out controlling Nedor heroes like Black Terror, Pyroman, and Tom Strange.

I never got anywhere with it--there was no EZScript then--so I'm looking forward to seeing your mod.

cmdrkoenig67

I'm also very excited about the Angel mod....Yay Tommy!

Dana

Lunarman

tommyboy

Quote from: HumanTon on May 23, 2007, 08:15:42 PM
Quote from: tommyboy on May 23, 2007, 07:38:08 AM

Cool idea! It reminds me of a mod I plotted out right after :ffvstr: came out. It involved Hitler using a mind-controlled JSA to attack other worlds in a multiverse that contained a world for each Golden Age group of heroes. So there would be a Quality world (Uncle Sam, Plastic Man, et. al.), a Fawcett world (Marvels, Bulletman, etc.), a Timely world (Cap, Subby, Human Torch) and so on. You would have started out controlling Nedor heroes like Black Terror, Pyroman, and Tom Strange.

I never got anywhere with it--there was no EZScript then--so I'm looking forward to seeing your mod.
Spooky.
Small multiverse...
That's pretty much exactly the concept that E2:EWAW was part of. A group of people got together and we were going to Mod one World each, as part of a larger story, with a mission on each world sequentially. We had no plans to include Timely though. Earths 1, 2, X (Uncle Sam), Charlton(Cap Atom, Blue Beetle), Fawcett etc etc. I believe I was the only one obsessive/compulsive enough to have the time to get anywhere near a release.

tommyboy

The lobby of the Hyperion Hotel.
Worth the effort I think because you'll see it a LOT as you play, what with it being your Freeroam Base:

The Pwime

cmdrkoenig67

Omigosh!...The Hyperion lobby looks so good...Eeeeeeeee(Squeal of happiness)eeeee! 

Go Tommy!

Dana :D :D :D :D :D :D

tommyboy

"dusting" a vamp, part one:

It looks better in action, and I need to sort out the alphas on the dust clouds, but you get the idea> vampire(dead)> skeleton+dust>dust

tommyboy

Meshes so far previews, part the first:
Gunn (and Axe)

Cordy:

Wesley:

The Buffster:

Spike:

Angel:

tommyboy

And a selection of Demons (AKA recycled meshes recoloured.....)

tommyboy

AfghanAnt

Will Fred and her big Blue counterpart be making an appearance?

tommyboy

Quote from: AfghanAnt on May 26, 2007, 06:13:17 PM
Will Fred and her big Blue counterpart be making an appearance?

Probably.
Fred wouldn't be particularly useful as an FF character in battle, and I'll have to see what her "alter ego" could do (and which side its on).
Having said that, I have put Cordelia in and shes hardly a warrior either..
So chances are Fred will appear, even if she doesnt end up as a playable character I'd still want her as an NPC to talk to, and I had given some thought to a Pylea mission or three... 

tommyboy

djfredski

:o Both Mods look awesome Tommy.
I can wait to try them out.

Previsionary

cordy may not be a warrior, but she can handle herself fine in battles against vamps and she does have training from angel herself...not to mention she does have other powers thanks to being part demon.

Fred is the smart girl on the team (think willow minus magic) and she too can hold her own in battle against vamps and some other baddies. She was trapped in an alternate universe for awhile and was on the run from her own friends for 2 eppies and she did fine.

Illyria is the big bad superhuman demon fred became. She fights on angel's side and  the only power she really has left since she was stripped of her full potential is super strength, super endurance, and shapeshifting. She also has enhanced senses which allow her to differentiate between humans and demons. Plus she has some sort of empathy power that let's her sense the emotions of those around her.

tommyboy

I agree that Cordy and Fred are very capable individuals.
But one thing that I think is important is that the vampires and demons should be a threat, should be more than someone with "normal" stats and abilities should be able to handle.
Both Cordy and Fred should be able to handle individual vamps or demons in extremis. But not day in day out, in my opinion. It's a stretch that Gunn, Wesley, Xander and Giles remain alive and relatively unscathed against super-strong, super-fast demons who aren't fighting in the "I'm going to beat you up" mode of humans, they are in the "I'm going to pull you apart" mode. One thing I liked about early Buffy was that Xander, Giles, Oz, Willow et al almost always got taken out by vamps, typically with one punch. Later as they gained fighting skills I felt that they did a little too well, a little too often. True it would get a bit dull if they never got a lick in, but for me it diminishes the threat of the vamps if teenagers and librarians can beat-em-up.
It's the Bucky/Robin syndrome, whereby how scary can The Red Skull/The Joker be if a twelve year old boy can beat them up?
All of which means that although I will include all the "normal" humans, they are going to be "more than human" so they can take down one vamp, but still have a hard time on their own against three vampires. If I get the balance right..

AfghanAnt

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/i/illyria.htm

Here is a link to Illyria (who essentially) killed Fred and took her form. It would be very cool if Illyria made it into the mod. Also Will there be more Buffy characters? Xander, Willow, Demonic Anya, Dawn or Tara? And where's Lorne?