• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Thrilling Adventure Tales- Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Started by Alaric, May 07, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Viking

Quote from: Alaric on May 24, 2007, 09:24:58 AM
Everyone else:

Just need some clarification: Who's in which room? Have to admit, I'm a little confused, too.

(OOG:  Hertzy, Lizzie, Ray, and Ashi are in the private examination room, conducting their evaluation of Ashi.  Patch, Steve, and Envoy are cooling their heels in the reception area until they come back out.  And Frank's in an alley somewhere.)

Spam

Envoy's Story

After trying to figure out where the smell of coffee is coming from, I just sit back down to wait for everyone else to come back.

"So, did either of you two men have questions for me? I know I didn't really say much back in jail, at least until that one police officer questioned me. But if you need any information about me, or what happened last night, just ask. Of course I'm still not really sure about last night..."

Viking

Patch

"Now's as good a time as any," agrees Patch.  "So what are you sure about with respect to last night, and what things are you less certain about?  For that matter, I'm still wondering what you did to get all the cops in that station so riled up against you."

Spam

Quote from: Viking on May 24, 2007, 11:50:06 AM
Patch

"Now's as good a time as any," agrees Patch.  "So what are you sure about with respect to last night, and what things are you less certain about?  For that matter, I'm still wondering what you did to get all the cops in that station so riled up against you."

"Well, this story may take longer then expected... But I'll tell you about last night first..."

"Well, last night started off as any, I was dropping of my daily drop-off of new shoes that I made, and I collected my check from the supplier. I was just walking home, as I didn't have a car of sorts, and found a body laying there. At first I thought he was just knocked out, but then I started to check his pulse, nothing. One thing that is so weird to me at least, is there was no blood, at all. I was thinking that his neck must have been snapped, or he was killed in some other lethal way that was clean. I couldn't find any bulletholes near his body or on any of the nearby buildings, but then again, I was only searching for a few minutes before the cops finally showed up. I was starting to say I was innocent, and started struggling while they were putting handcuffs on me. I said I only wanted to help, but then they started pulling me even harder. I tried until I couldn't get any closer to the body, until all the energy I haad was gone, trying to help. I guess they didn't really like that so that could be a reason why they were ticked at me. Then again, another reason may be because of something that I did..."

"You see, when I was only a child, I was orphaned. I had no idea who my parents were, and I only wanted new parents. But when I got adopted for the first time, I thought I would be loved. But instead, I was hated by my, as they call themselves, "loving" parents. They un-adopted me, and sent me back to the orphanage, hurt. I thought it was because they were the worst parents in the world, but it turned out to be because of me. I foundd out when they orphaned another kid, and loved him to death. I knew it was me, but I was only acting like every kid did at that age. I tried to love them, but they didn't respond. I figured out I was cursed with hatred towards myself, and I couldn't figure out why. But now, as an adult, I can learn to control my power. I could piss someone off just by snapping my fingers if I wanted to. And that's what sorta happened when you tried to question me in jail, Mr. Briarson. And that's what I did to the cops... They said they only wanted answers, but I ticked them off so bad that they put me in jail, I guess..."

"So, any other questions?"

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 24, 2007, 05:19:02 AM"You have a rope directly behind and above you which you need to pull.  You cannot reach behind, or take any step in any direction.  How do you reach the rope?"

Quote from: kkhohoho on May 24, 2007, 05:59:10 AM"If I cannot walk, then I jump backwards to reach the rope."

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 24, 2007, 07:42:41 AM"Correct.  Adults normally cannot figure this out however, as they add their own mental rules.

:huh: "Wouldn't it just be easier to turn around?", Ray sort of blurts out, before remembering he's not the one being "tested".

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself
Turning to Ray, he adds, "What about you Ray?  You seem to know something, do you believe him?"

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 24, 2007, 08:14:05 AM"Been kinda wondering that myself," I add, taking a sip of coffee.

"During some of my research, I came across referrences to a Japanese demon-slayer named Ashikyo.  According to the reports, he had been cursed to live in the body of a child.  Had we been in Japan, I would have been a little more hesitant to believe that it was him, but the chances that the general public here would have that information is a little less likely.  Of course, the swords are a dead giveaway.  If you know what to look for, not everything is as it seems.

Take Mr. Briarson, for example.  He's a private investigator that specializes in cases of the paranormal.  The name of his agency is Third-Eye.....something-or-other.  The rest doesn't matter, but the part that sticks out is the tell.  I have a feeling our friend Frank would have an interesting story to tell us.  One you'd probably have a hard time believing."

Ray pauses to take another sip of his coffee, and won't be too surprised if he gets two blank stares back at him.

"While we're on the subject, Dr. Hertziwits, just where *did* you get the inspiration to build that "watch"?"

Glitch Girl

Lizzie
Quote from: RayDuring some of my research, I came across referrences to a Japanese demon-slayer named Ashikyo.  According to the reports, he had been cursed to live in the body of a child.  Had we been in Japan, I would have been a little more hesitant to believe that it was him, but the chances that the general public here would have that information is a little less likely.  Of course, the swords are a dead giveaway.  If you know what to look for, not everything is as it seems.

Take Mr. Briarson, for example.  He's a private investigator that specializes in cases of the paranormal.  The name of his agency is Third-Eye.....something-or-other.  The rest doesn't matter, but the part that sticks out is the tell.  I have a feeling our friend Frank would have an interesting story to tell us.  One you'd probably have a hard time believing."
I stare incredulously at Ray over the top of the coffeecup. 

I'm kinda having a hard time believing the load of bull you've dumped on us so far, I think but don't actually say out loud.  The expression probably says it all though.

QuoteWhile we're on the subject, Dr. Hertziwits, just where *did* you get the inspiration to build that 'watch'?"

I look over at Hertzy and his watch.  So far it hasn't looked very special to me but I wait and see what happens.

Viking

Patch

Patch listens to Envoy's story quietly.

"Damn," he responds after Envoy finishes.  "Sorry about the rough childhood.  No kid should have to go through that."

He rubs his chin thoughtfully before continuing, "So - let me get this straight... You can make people angry, just by concentrating?  From what I saw first-hand down at the station, I can believe that.  Do you just make people angry at you, specifically?  Or can you make one person angry at someone else?"

Uncle Yuan

Steve

"Geez, kid, that's tough.  I'm not sure I buy the whole "angry power" schtick, but I am impressed that someone who has been knocked around so many times still has such a positive outlook on life.  Good for you!

"So where was this that you found Dr. Holland's body?  I'm wondering if after we find out what's up with these others if it might not be worth while to go check out the scene.  I also really want to go over to his lab, see if we can figure out what he was working on, and if, or why, someone might want to kill him because of it."

Spam

Envoy

"To answer your question Mr. Briarson, yes, I can make someone angry at me, and only me. I don't think I can make anyone angry at each other... At least, I've never really even thought about any other sort of possibilities that I may have... So it might be possible, but I'm not sure..." I say, then turning my attention towards Steve.

"Well, I think was about half-way home when I found him. That's all that I can remember though, since I never even thought to look at the street sign. The police probably know, though. And it is true about what I can do, Mr. Steve. Would you like me to show you?" I say, starting to glare.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote"Wouldn't it just be easier to turn around?", Ray sort of blurts out, before remembering he's not the one being "tested".

"You can't turning around without taking a step.  It's directly behind you, so you can't just turn without stepping."

Quote"During some of my research, I came across referrences to a Japanese demon-slayer named Ashikyo.  According to the reports, he had been cursed to live in the body of a child.  Had we been in Japan, I would have been a little more hesitant to believe that it was him, but the chances that the general public here would have that information is a little less likely.  Of course, the swords are a dead giveaway.  If you know what to look for, not everything is as it seems.

Sounds absurd to me.  EVERYTHING has a rational explanation if you know where to look.  Still, a time differentiation field COULD have that effect on a person.  The time regression would be harder to explain, but I was never good at actually explaining how these things work.  The sword could be pocket dimensional extraction.  In fact, I'll have to try that some time.

Quote"While we're on the subject, Dr. Hertziwits, just where *did* you get the inspiration to build that "watch"?"

I don't know, I just got the idea for a device that could tap into the timestream.  I was hoping to be able to slow down time on a patient, giving me more time to work in event of an emergency, but I got this instead.  I wish I knew why it was acting up the way it is.  Still, it seems to be working to an extent, but I can't be sure it's still accurate.  Right now it seems to be indicating nothing negative in my immediate future, though.

Glitch Girl

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 24, 2007, 04:04:40 PM
I don't know, I just got the idea for a device that could tap into the timestream.  I was hoping to be able to slow down time on a patient, giving me more time to work in event of an emergency, but I got this instead.  I wish I knew why it was acting up the way it is.  Still, it seems to be working to an extent, but I can't be sure it's still accurate.  Right now it seems to be indicating nothing negative in my immediate future, though.
"Um, 'scuse me, but...well, seeing as I kinda came in late, what exactly does that pocket watch do, if y'all don't mind me asking."

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote"Um, 'scuse me, but...well, seeing as I kinda came in late, what exactly does that pocket watch do, if y'all don't mind me asking."

"Sorry, my dear lady, for talking around you like that.  The Watch tells me if anything I have just done or am about to do will end up causing me trouble.  It isn't always easy to tell exactly what I did or am going to do, but there are times when it's pretty easy to tell.

"I've been able to avoid a few particularly nasty scrapes thanks to this thing.  Right now, assuming it's still working--it's been doing some odd things since right before we met--our three visitors are not going to cause us any immediate difficulties.  At least they're not going to cause me any particular difficulties, but I do think that any trouble to any of you would effect me as well, it being my office and all."

Alaric

Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 24, 2007, 10:11:07 AMI can't help my eyes widening in surprise when he mentions a body, but I try to cover it by glaring at him.  I hope that my disfigurement will make it harder for him to read my expressions.  I think fast.

"I luh-look all-al-ready," I reply in low tones.  "N-not find.  Th-they n-not happy yuh-you not f-find," I add menacingly, narrowing my eyes.  "Th-they think h-how you can muh-miss the thing?  Sh-should be easy to f-find.  If th-thing n-not here, yuh-you better f-find other place f-fast."

Hopefully, I can bluff the guy into searching somewhere else.  Whatever that canister is, I've got to make sure he doesn't find it.  It's got to be what he's looking for, though I have no clue why.  If he'd found it on his end of the alley, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He looks clearly startled by your response, and at least a little scared. He looks thoughtful for a moment, then says, 'Uh, yeah, that's what I'll do. I'll search somewhere else." With that, he quickly hurries around a nearby corner.

Alaric

catwhowalksbyhimself

OOC:  Since when do doctor's offices have doorbells?  You generally just come right into the reception area/waiting room.

Uncle Yuan

Steve
Quote from: Spam on May 24, 2007, 04:00:05 PM
Envoy
"Well, I think was about half-way home when I found him. That's all that I can remember though, since I never even thought to look at the street sign. The police probably know, though. And it is true about what I can do, Mr. Steve. Would you like me to show you?" I say, starting to glare.

Somewhat oblivious to your stare, I reply.  "Leaving aside the whole 'powers' bit, why would you ever want to make anyone mad at you?  And call me Steve, or Mr. Littlefield if you must be formal about it.  But I prefer Steve."

Spam

Envoy

I glance at the door, but still pay full attention to Steve.

"Alright, powers aside, people always seem more unaware of whats going on around them when their angry. So, if I were to make some guy I'm walking along with on the sidewalk be angry at me, he may not notice things around him, like cars going by, or a street sign he could accidentally run into. Also, making someone mad is the perfect chance to pickpocket, but I've never done a deed as harmful as that." I say, still glaring at Steve.

"So, do you have any abnormalities, Steve?"

[spoiler]So, will Steve get to feel the effects of becoming angry at Envoy, or will he just look at me blankly in the face with nothing but awkward looks? ;) [/spoiler]

Glitch Girl

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 24, 2007, 04:26:53 PM
Quote"Um, 'scuse me, but...well, seeing as I kinda came in late, what exactly does that pocket watch do, if y'all don't mind me asking."

"Sorry, my dear lady, for talking around you like that.  The Watch tells me if anything I have just done or am about to do will end up causing me trouble.  It isn't always easy to tell exactly what I did or am going to do, but there are times when it's pretty easy to tell.

"I've been able to avoid a few particularly nasty scrapes thanks to this thing.  Right now, assuming it's still working--it's been doing some odd things since right before we met--our three visitors are not going to cause us any immediate difficulties.  At least they're not going to cause me any particular difficulties, but I do think that any trouble to any of you would effect me as well, it being my office and all."
"I...see.  Kinda."

Oh lordy, I'm surrounded by lunatics.

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 24, 2007, 05:54:03 PM
Frank:

Quote from: BlueBard on May 24, 2007, 10:11:07 AMI can't help my eyes widening in surprise when he mentions a body, but I try to cover it by glaring at him.  I hope that my disfigurement will make it harder for him to read my expressions.  I think fast.

"I luh-look all-al-ready," I reply in low tones.  "N-not find.  Th-they n-not happy yuh-you not f-find," I add menacingly, narrowing my eyes.  "Th-they think h-how you can muh-miss the thing?  Sh-should be easy to f-find.  If th-thing n-not here, yuh-you better f-find other place f-fast."

Hopefully, I can bluff the guy into searching somewhere else.  Whatever that canister is, I've got to make sure he doesn't find it.  It's got to be what he's looking for, though I have no clue why.  If he'd found it on his end of the alley, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

He looks clearly startled by your response, and at least a little scared. He looks thoughtful for a moment, then says, 'Uh, yeah, that's what I'll do. I'll search somewhere else." With that, he quickly hurries around a nearby corner.

Frank's Story:

I'm going to wait a bit to make sure the guy is gone.  Then I'm going to take off my trenchcoat, wrap that canister up in it, and walk away in the opposite direction holding it cradled in one arm.  Then I'm going to find someplace safe to hole up.

I momentarily consider turning the thing over to the police and reporting what I saw and heard, but I have no desire to become prime suspect number one if there's a murder involved.  I need to look that canister over and figure out how it ties in to this, if I can.  If I can't, I'll have to find someone else who can... someone I can trust... but who?

Alaric

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 24, 2007, 06:16:10 PM
OOC:  Since when do doctor's offices have doorbells?  You generally just come right into the reception area/waiting room.

(oog- Actually, I've been to some doctor's offices where you had to ring a bell to get in, and even when you don't, in my experience, there usually IS a bell outside. In any case, it seemed pretty clear to me that Hertzy's office isn't open to patients at this moment, so I would imagine that anyone wanting to come in and/or talk with the doctor would probably have to ring a bell or something.)

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Spam on May 24, 2007, 08:14:49 PM
Envoy

Steve

"Me?  Abnormalities?  No!  I mean, no.  Unless maybe you count being able to do this with my thumb."  I hold out my my thumb in a "hitchiker" pose.  The last segment forms a nearly right angle back over the rest of the finger.  "I've heard it called a "hitchiker's thumb" and it's a genetically recessive trait that not many people can do.  And an enjoyment for the complex mathematics that I need to do for my job.  Aside from that I'm pretty normal, I guess."

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote(oog- Actually, I've been to some doctor's offices where you had to ring a bell to get in, and even when you don't, in my experience, there usually IS a bell outside. In any case, it seemed pretty clear to me that Hertzy's office isn't open to patients at this moment, so I would imagine that anyone wanting to come in and/or talk with the doctor would probably have to ring a bell or something.)

OOC:  Alright, that works, I guess.

Hertzy will continue to examine the Watch looking for anything wrong with it.

"I do hope it's not broken.  It's my favorite invention.  I'd feel lost without it.  That's the thing about ignoring the laws of physics.  It's hard to predict what you'll get.  Although If I could have gotten the refriderator that kept everything in it at its own individual temperature to work, that would have been pretty nifty, but I only ended up with a broken fridge."

kkhohoho

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 25, 2007, 04:53:49 AM
Quote(oog- Actually, I've been to some doctor's offices where you had to ring a bell to get in, and even when you don't, in my experience, there usually IS a bell outside. In any case, it seemed pretty clear to me that Hertzy's office isn't open to patients at this moment, so I would imagine that anyone wanting to come in and/or talk with the doctor would probably have to ring a bell or something.)

OOC:  Alright, that works, I guess.

Hertzy will continue to examine the Watch looking for anything wrong with it.

"I do hope it's not broken.  It's my favorite invention.  I'd feel lost without it.  That's the thing about ignoring the laws of physics.  It's hard to predict what you'll get.  Although If I could have gotten the refriderator that kept everything in it at its own individual temperature to work, that would have been pretty nifty, but I only ended up with a broken fridge."

Okaaaaay...

"Mr.Hertzy...There are many things in this world I have seen that are deemed impossible by many but...ignoring the laws of physics without the aid of magic or demonic abilities?  I always thought that science followed a strict set of rules."

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote"Mr.Hertzy...There are many things in this world I have seen that are deemed impossible by many but...ignoring the laws of physics without the aid of magic or demonic abilities?  I always thought that science followed a strict set of rules.

Hertzy grins.  "I've always thought science to be a bit restrictive.  It can follow the rules if it wants to, but they're a bit inconvenient for me.

"Of course, I follow them when it comes to medicine.  I won't risk a patient's health.  Mechanical devices are another matter."

Viking

Patch
Quote from: Alaric on May 24, 2007, 06:00:43 PM
The door bell rings.

Patch has no intention of opening the door - it's not his office, and it's Dr. Hertziwits' prerogative as to when he's ready to see patients.

He does, however, go knock on the door of the private room where Hertzy and the others are having their discussion.

"Doc?  Seems like you've got a visitor.  Do you want to get it, or have one of us let him in?"

Glitch Girl

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 25, 2007, 05:52:45 AM
Quote"Mr.Hertzy...There are many things in this world I have seen that are deemed impossible by many but...ignoring the laws of physics without the aid of magic or demonic abilities?  I always thought that science followed a strict set of rules.

Hertzy grins.  "I've always thought science to be a bit restrictive.  It can follow the rules if it wants to, but they're a bit inconvenient for me.

Lizzie stares at the doctor and inches a little bit away from the two men and a little bit towards the door.

Quote"Of course, I follow them when it comes to medicine.  I won't risk a patient's health.  Mechanical devices are another matter."
"Of course," I say with a weak smile.  (inch inch)

Spam

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 24, 2007, 08:54:21 PM
Quote from: Spam on May 24, 2007, 08:14:49 PM
Envoy

Steve

"Me?  Abnormalities?  No!  I mean, no.  Unless maybe you count being able to do this with my thumb."  I hold out my my thumb in a "hitchiker" pose.  The last segment forms a nearly right angle back over the rest of the finger.  "I've heard it called a "hitchiker's thumb" and it's a genetically recessive trait that not many people can do.  And an enjoyment for the complex mathematics that I need to do for my job.  Aside from that I'm pretty normal, I guess."

Envoy

"Yes, that is very abnormal, I suppose." I say, sounding sarcastic.

I finally turn away from Steve to play my harmonica again.

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: Spam on May 25, 2007, 11:20:43 AM
Envoy

"Yes, that is very abnormal, I suppose." I say, sounding sarcastic.

I finally turn away from Steve to play my harmonica again.

"I don't see how being very rude to complete strangers counts as some sort of mysterious power.  But I do see how it could get them to be quite upset with you!" I blurt.  Very embarrassed by my outburst I stop suddenly, blush beet red, and stammer, "Um . . that is . . pardon me.  I'll, um, be right back."  Mortified, I turn and walk quickly out of the office.

I can't beleive I let that . . . kid push my buttons like that.  I need a little fresh air and a few moment to gather my thoughts. . .

Spam

OOC: Okay, since you went outside, does that mean that the person who rang the doorbell would be there with you, too? Just wonderin'...

Envoy

Hmm... I wonder why he got upset at himself for saying that... Oh well, I hope he still won't mind my presence. I guess I can lay off on him now that he believes me.

I'll stop playing my harmonica, and put it in my pocket, and wait for Steve to come back.

Alaric

Steve:

When you say you leave the office, do you mean you go out the front door, or something else?

|