• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Thrilling Adventure Tales- Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Started by Alaric, May 07, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Alaric

Patch-

Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2007, 08:19:35 AM
"Standard consulting fee, plus expenses."

Patch frowns at the nearly empty bottle of aspirin in his hand.

"And that includes a new bottle of aspirin."

Bruntman sighs. "Done", he says. "You coming?" He turns to go.

Glitch Girl

Quote from: Alaric on May 08, 2007, 03:49:44 PM
Lizzie, Ashikyo-

Lizzie sees her "old friend" keep running, without looking back. It doesn't look like he's noticed her. Soon, he dissappears around a corner- NOT the one he was originally going around. Still, knowing him, he may be back...

Suddenly, from the same corner Lizzie's "old friend" just ran out from, the last thing Lizzie expects appears- a child, looks to be Japanese, wearing what looks like traditional Japanese warrior's clothing, mostly black. He seems to be looking for something. He's also holding a sword in one hand. He doesn't look scared at all.

I wander over to the kid and smile.

"Hey there kiddo.  Does your momma know you're out so late?"

As I speak, I  glance past him down to see what might have scared the guy.  Whatever I expected to see, "nothing" isn't on the list.

Maybe who or whatever it was left.  The kid must have seen something though.  Maybe I can get him to tell me.

Waitasec... The sword looks real.  I thought it was a toy, but that looks like real metal. 

Maybe the kid...

Nah, couldn't be.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Hertzy's (reluctant) Story

Quote, Frank lunges forward and pushes the smaller man, just as he was nerviously tugging the larger man's sleeve and starting to say "Let's not-", into the larger man. Both men tuble to the ground, looking startled. Hertzy, suddenly released by the other man, falls to the ground, as well, anxiously clutching his watch.

As the two men look up at their assailant, the startled expressions on both faces change to something approaching... recognition?

Not noticing the men's reactions, Hertzy will try to get up and get away as quickly as his out of shape body will allow.  He'll try to angle himself so the strange new character is between himself and his assailants and get a reasonable distance away.  In spite of his nerves screaming at him, he'll stay in the area if he can tear away, in order to render medical assistance as needed.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 08, 2007, 05:41:42 PM
Quote from: Alaric on May 08, 2007, 03:49:44 PM
Lizzie, Ashikyo-

Lizzie sees her "old friend" keep running, without looking back. It doesn't look like he's noticed her. Soon, he dissappears around a corner- NOT the one he was originally going around. Still, knowing him, he may be back...

Suddenly, from the same corner Lizzie's "old friend" just ran out from, the last thing Lizzie expects appears- a child, looks to be Japanese, wearing what looks like traditional Japanese warrior's clothing, mostly black. He seems to be looking for something. He's also holding a sword in one hand. He doesn't look scared at all.

I wander over to the kid and smile.

"Hey there kiddo.  Does your momma know you're out so late?"

As I speak, I  glance past him down to see what might have scared the guy.  Whatever I expected to see, "nothing" isn't on the list.

Maybe who or whatever it was left.  The kid must have seen something though.  Maybe I can get him to tell me.

Waitasec... The sword looks real.  I thought it was a toy, but that looks like real metal. 

Maybe the kid...

Nah, couldn't be.

Can't believe I forgot to put away the blade.  I can't do it now though.  It dissapearing would just make me stand out even more.  How will I get out of this one? ...Ahem...Miss...You see, as you may have already guessed, I am not from this country, so I have no "momma" to go to.  I can also take care of myself.  ...You seem to have interest in what I am holding.  It...is just a toy sword.  Yes.  That is all it is.  It is nothing more.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashikyo

Riiiiight I think to myself.

"It's a very nice toy.  Better be careful with it. And you say you don't have a momma?  Now that's a real shame.  You got other family around here?"

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 08, 2007, 06:03:06 PM
Lizzie, Ashikyo

Riiiiight I think to myself.

"It's a very nice toy.  Better be careful with it. And you say you don't have a momma?  Now that's a real shame.  You got other family around here?"

Lizzie, Ashikyo

"None at all.  I am by myself. Alone."

I think she knows it's a real one.  Things won't go well if she finds out that it's not your ordinary metal.  I have to think of someway to get out of this.

"I am just asking this out of curiosity...I met a man around a corner back there.  He ran off.  Do you know him?"  I ask the question with the hope that she does know him, and will run after him.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashikyo
"No idea," I answer, "but he didn't look very nice.  You got to be careful around here, specially if you're by yourself."

Wonder if he's a runaway.  Might explain why he's got a sword, but he doesn't look old enough to use it. Still, that doesn't explain what I saw.

"Tell ya what.  You like milkshakes?  I bet if we look hard enough we can find you one around here even this late at night, and then you can tell me what happened.  That sound good?  By the way, you can call me Lizzie.  Most folks do.  And what should I call you?"

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 08, 2007, 06:21:33 PM
Lizzie, Ashikyo
"No idea," I answer, "but he didn't look very nice.  You got to be careful around here, specially if you're by yourself."

Wonder if he's a runaway.  Might explain why he's got a sword, but he doesn't look old enough to use it. Still, that doesn't explain what I saw.

"Tell ya what.  You like milkshakes?  I bet if we look hard enough we can find you one around here even this late at night, and then you can tell me what happened.  That sound good?  By the way, you can call me Lizzie.  Most folks do.  And what should I call you?"

Milkshake?  This woman defintly thinks I'm just a kid.  However, I suppose I will have to get one with her.  Otherwise, she might get suspicous.  Besides, I haven't had anything to eat or drink for 6 hours.  Better then nothing.

"My name is Ashikyo.  You can call me Ashi'.  Thank you miss 'Lizzie'.  I will go with you."

I take a quick glance around for both demons and assailants, and proceed to go with the woman.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashikyo
"Well Ashi, that's a nice name.  Now, let's go find that milkshake, kay?"

I take his hand and  head off find a late night diner or something.  As we walk, I casually ask "So what happened to that bad man you saw?  He seemed in a big hurry to get someplace else."

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on May 08, 2007, 03:37:27 PM

The large man's face then changes to anger, while the smaller man's expresses puzzlment.

"Go back to your master, foolish creature!", says the large man. "We have no need of you!"

Frank's Story:
Wrong answer.  If anything, this just makes me angry.  My pale skin darkens with fury and my fists clench reflexively, but I have enough self-control to keep myself from lashing out... I don't want to kill anyone by accident.

"L-Leave him Al-lone!" I shout loudly, purposely raising my basso profundo voice for passersby to hear clear across the street.  "Yuh-you go back where Yuh-you came from!"  With that, I attempt to grab the large man and shove him away in hopes that he gets the message clearly.  I'm hoping they aren't too willing to draw attention to themselves, or maybe that someone will call the cops.

But if weapons come out, I'm through playing nice.  I'll knock the wind out of them and if I happen to break ribs in the process, well, they started it.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 08, 2007, 07:53:06 PM
Lizzie, Ashikyo
"Well Ashi, that's a nice name.  Now, let's go find that milkshake, kay?"

I take his hand and  head off find a late night diner or something.  As we walk, I casually ask "So what happened to that bad man you saw?  He seemed in a big hurry to get someplace else."

She's holding my hand!  She's treating me like a...actually, I guess I am one.  Wait...she asked a question.  Perhaps if I answer truthfully, she'll stop treating me like a kid.  Besides, my blades look like normal ones, so she shouldn't freak out.

"Well, I was having a bad day.  Then, this man collided into me.  I then pointed my sword straight at him, yelling.  He ran off.  Oh, and the sword is not fake.  I'm not joking.  You can check it yourself if you want to. And I can handle it quite well."

Viking

Patch's Story

Quote from: Alaric on May 08, 2007, 03:55:23 PM
Bruntman sighs. "Done", he says. "You coming?" He turns to go.

Patch hastily grabs a pad and pen, and scribbles a note for his receptionist that he's got a new case, and will be at the station.

"No sense in wasting daylight," he agrees.  "You can tell me about the other victims on the way."

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:
Quote from: Alaric on May 08, 2007, 03:37:27 PMFrank lunges forward and pushes the smaller man, just as he was nerviously tugging the larger man's sleeve and starting to say "Let's not-", into the larger man. Both men tuble to the ground, looking startled. Hertzy, suddenly released by the other man, falls to the ground, as well, anxiously clutching his watch.

As the two men look up at their assailant, the startled expressions on both faces change to something approaching... recognition?  The large man's face then changes to anger, while the smaller man's expresses puzzlment.

"Go back to your master, foolish creature!", says the large man. "We have no need of you!"

"Definitely not allies, but they seem to be known to each other.  I *almost* wish I had time to watch all of this."

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 08, 2007, 05:46:03 PM
Not noticing the men's reactions, Hertzy will try to get up and get away as quickly as his out of shape body will allow.  He'll try to angle himself so the strange new character is between himself and his assailants and get a reasonable distance away.  In spite of his nerves screaming at him, he'll stay in the area if he can tear away, in order to render medical assistance as needed.

Quote from: BlueBard on May 08, 2007, 08:07:58 PM"L-Leave him Al-lone!" I shout loudly, purposely raising my basso profundo voice for passersby to hear clear across the street.  "Yuh-you go back where Yuh-you came from!"  With that, I attempt to grab the large man and shove him away in hopes that he gets the message clearly.

"Yes, definitely time for an exit."  With that, Ray steps close enough to the group to place a guiding hand behind the older gentleman's elbow (or back, whichever is more conveninet), with a small amount of pressure in the opposite direction down the street.  "Why don't you come along with me, sir?  I'm sure this is something we wouldn't want to be caught up in.  Best to let them sort things out themselves."  I'll try to guide him further down the sidewalk away from the fracas, perhaps into a convenient side alley, to get out of sight.

Spam

Envoy's Story:

I wonder if anybody else will wander in here... I wonder if I'll be able to get out of here... I mean, its not like I did anything. You know what, I deserve my rights, I'm taking my phone call. But who should I call...? Wait, I know who.

I get up, and stand next to the cell. If the cops that are still standing there, talking, then I'll start to annoy them by asking for my phone call. If they refuse, I'll glare at them until I get what I want.

Uncle Yuan

Steve's Story

"Dr. Holland m-m-murdered?  That's terrible!  Oh my gosh, do they have idea who did it?  When did it happen?  I just checked in, I haven't even had a chance to get direction to his lab."

QuoteHe waits for your response, then goes on.

"Of course I'd be happy to go talk to the police."  I glance at the mirror over the dresser, Jeepers, I look a mess.  Can't go to the polics looking like this!  Holding the phone with my shoulder I try to clean myself up while talking to Mr. Plant.  I take a couple futile swipes at my hair, trying to arrange a few of the thinning blond whisps to cover up my bald spot.  Sigh, the bald would bother me less if I didn't have such a baby face. I'm only 36, for cryin' out loud.  I retighten my generic "business man's" tie.

"Will they be coming here, or should I go down to their station?"

Tuck in the shirt tail over a belly grown just slightly too soft from too many hours sitting in front of a drafting table.  And I used to be in such good shape too.  Well, Steven, that was a long time ago.  No use crying over spilt milk.

"Is there anything in particular you want me to say on behalf of IDT Enterprises?"

Getting my off-the-rack suit jacket back over my broad shoulders takes a bit of manuevering, switching the phone from one side to the other while I listen to Mr. Plant's reply.  I glance around and spy my grey felt hat next to my brief case on the bed.

"O.K. sir, you can count on me!  I'll give you a call as soon as I know something more"

Alaric:
[spoiler]Do I have any idea what Cr. Holland was working on or what he wanted to talk to me about?[/spoiler]

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashikyo
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 08, 2007, 08:34:12 PM
Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 08, 2007, 07:53:06 PM
As we walk, I casually ask "So what happened to that bad man you saw?  He seemed in a big hurry to get someplace else."
"Well, I was having a bad day.  Then, this man collided into me.  I then pointed my sword straight at him, yelling.  He ran off.  Oh, and the sword is not fake.  I'm not joking.  You can check it yourself if you want to. And I can handle it quite well."

"Oh I'm sure you can.  Just try not to hurt anyone with it, 'kay?"  I smile.

Hmmm... kid must have started yelling and waving that thing around like crazy.  Guess Filcher didn't want a scene.  They must have scared each other pretty bad.  Still, Filcher doesn't freak that easily.  I still feel like I'm not getting the whole story.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote"Why don't you come along with me, sir?  I'm sure this is something we wouldn't want to be caught up in.  Best to let them sort things out themselves."  I'll try to guide him further down the sidewalk away from the fracas, perhaps into a convenient side alley, to get out of sight.

"Quite right, my boy, but I must stay nearby.  I am a medical doctor and must provide medical assistance if required."

He quickly snaps open the Watch again, then puts it back away.

BlueBard

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on May 08, 2007, 09:23:32 PM
Ray's Story:
"Yes, definitely time for an exit."  With that, Ray steps close enough to the group to place a guiding hand behind the older gentleman's elbow (or back, whichever is more conveninet), with a small amount of pressure in the opposite direction down the street.  "Why don't you come along with me, sir?  I'm sure this is something we wouldn't want to be caught up in.  Best to let them sort things out themselves."  I'll try to guide him further down the sidewalk away from the fracas, perhaps into a convenient side alley, to get out of sight.

Frank to GM:

[spoiler]If Frank notices this and doesn't hear the conversation, he would probably misinterpret it as yet another attempt to kidnap the older gentleman.  Could get interesting...[/spoiler]

Alaric

Lizzie, Ashikyo

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 08, 2007, 06:21:33 PM
"I bet if we look hard enough we can find you one around here even this late at night, and then you can tell me what happened. "

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 08, 2007, 07:53:06 PMI take his hand and  head off find a late night diner or something.

(Actually, as established in the other plot threads, going on at more-or-less the same time, this is taking place sometime in the morning. I realize I said Lizzie was looking for a bar, which does likely indicate a later hour... Just assume that instead she was looking for breakfast or coffee (if she's a coffee drinker) or something...

Sorry, should have made that clearer. Part of the problem had to do with a last-minute minor plot change I made...)

A couple of blocks on, you spot a diner that seems to be serving breakfast.

Lizzie- [spoiler] You suddenly notice your "old friend" again... He's walking back toward the way you came, looking annoyed. you don't think he's noticed you yet- he looks a little preoccupied- but he probably will in a moment as he's looking in your general direction. You don't think Ashikyo's noticed him yet, either.[/spoiler]

Alaric

Hertzy, Frank, Ray:

"L-Leave him Al-lone! Yuh-you go back where Yuh-you came from!" shouts Frank, a noticeably stutter in his odd voice.

Hertzy and Ray can hear this loud bellow- whether they're really paying attention may be another matter.

Frank tries to grab the large man, but, surprised though he seems, he manages to twist away. Still, he seems comepletely dumbfounded and astonished for the moment.

Not so his smaller friend. He mutters something not allowed by the forum rules and reaches into his jacket. The larger man seems to pull himself together a ltitle, and he shakes his head at the smaller man.

Meanwhile, Ray sayssomthing quietly to Hertzy as he begins to gently propel him further down the sidewalk. Hetzy seems to protest a little. Frank can't actually hear what they're saying to each other.

Hertzy- [spoiler] The watch is blank. [/spoiler]

Alaric

Patch, Envoy:

Patch- [spoiler] The other victims were mostly known or suspected criminals, mostly with mob connections, mostly rival mobs to Boss Greenstreet's mob. One victim Bruntman seems reluctant to tell you much about, but he drops some hints that this man was an undercover cop, deep, deep under cover. The murders mostly looked like mob hits, but the crime scenes were remarkably clean, there was no blood outside the bodies, and no evidence of any kind. None of the victims had any known connection to Dr. Holland. [spoiler]

At the station, Patch is led back to the holding cell, where Envoy is demanding a phone call. One of the cope near by was also one of the arresting officers.

(Sorry if this seems a little rushed- Spam hasn't been able to do much since the game started, so I wanted to move things along...)

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashikyo
Quote from: Alaric on May 09, 2007, 09:41:18 AM

(Actually, as established in the other plot threads, going on at more-or-less the same time, this is taking place sometime in the morning. I realize I said Lizzie was looking for a bar, which does likely indicate a later hour... Just assume that instead she was looking for breakfast or coffee (if she's a coffee drinker) or something...

Sorry, should have made that clearer. Part of the problem had to do with a last-minute minor plot change I made...)

"A little chilly this morning," I remark.  "That bathrobe can't be very warm.  Here..."

I steer us over to the edge of the passers by next to be nearest building, stop, and kneel down, slipping off my explorer's vest and wrap it around Aski's shoulders.  "It's not much but it's a little warmer.  Oh and be careful, those pockets haven't been cleaned out in a while."

To GM[spoiler]When I crouched down, I made sure I was between Filcher and the kid to make him harder to see.  the vest won't do much to help him blend in, but it's better than nothing. My keys, pocket knife, and gun are in the cargo pants.  If there's a window on the building nearby, I use the reflection to keep an eye on Filcher. [/spoiler]

Alaric

Steve:

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 08, 2007, 09:49:06 PM"Will they be coming here, or should I go down to their station?"

"You should head down to the station. A Detective Brintman want's to speak with you, as soon as possible."

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 08, 2007, 09:49:06 PM"Is there anything in particular you want me to say on behalf of IDT Enterprises?"

"Let them know that we'll cooperate fully with the investigation. Uh, of course, murder is a horrible thing, but we'd appreciate it if they could turn over any notes he might have left concerning the work Dr. Holland was doing for us... That work is legally ours, you know... uh..." Mr. Plant sounds a little embarrassed at having said that.

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 08, 2007, 09:49:06 PM"O.K. sir, you can count on me!  I'll give you a call as soon as I know something more"

"I know I can count on you. ...one more thing. It's possible that this... that what happened... it may have had to do with the work he was doing for us. Someone may have been... interested... Uh, just be careful out there."

Steve- [spoiler]All you know is that whatever Dr. Holland was working on, it was supposed to revolutionize the buisness, and it had something to do with propulsion. Mr. Plant seemed to think that, after talking with Dr. Holland, you'd likely understand it better than Mr. Plant himself. You also know that Dr. Holland won last year's Nobel prize in physics for work involving molecular collisions in gasses.[/spoiler]

catwhowalksbyhimself

Hetzy's (reluctant) Story

Hertzy is quite relieved after glancing at the Watch and resolves not to change his plans, for fear that it will change.  While he will allow Ray to guide him further out of danger, he will absolutely refuse to completely leave the area, but will persist in staying somewhere out of the way, to see what the outcome of the battle is and take care of any injuries on anyone left behind, whichever side they're on, when the battle's complete.

If Ray insists on his leaving the area, he'll simply tell the man that he knows that nothing bad will happen to him if he stays nearby and will promise to explain how later.

Viking

Patch's Story

(*Don't worry about things being a little rushed, Alaric.  I understand completely.*)
Quote from: Alaric on May 09, 2007, 10:15:25 AM
At the station, Patch is led back to the holding cell, where Envoy is demanding a phone call. One of the cope near by was also one of the arresting officers.

Patch raises his eyebrows at the sight of the red-eyed man in jail.

[spoiler]"This the guy you were talking about?" he quietly asks Detective Bruntman, jerking his head slightly in Envoy's direction.[/spoiler]

He asks his next question of all the officers in a more audible voice.

"So - has your newest guest been officially charged with anything yet, or are you just holding him for questioning?"

[spoiler]Patch will also try to get a good look at Envoy.  Spam's character description suggests that most people somehow don't (or can't) pay deep attention to what he looks like, exactly.  Then again, Patch has his own unique background, and has seen his share of weird phenomena.  It's Alaric's call as to whether anything odd happens from this.[/spoiler]

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 09, 2007, 10:28:41 AM
Lizzie, Ashikyo
Quote from: Alaric on May 09, 2007, 09:41:18 AM

"A little chilly this morning," I remark.  "That bathrobe can't be very warm.  Here..."

I steer us over to the edge of the passers by next to be nearest building, stop, and kneel down, slipping off my explorer's vest and wrap it around Aski's shoulders.  "It's not much but it's a little warmer.  Oh and be careful, those pockets haven't been cleaned out in a while."

To GM[spoiler]When I crouched down, I made sure I was between Filcher and the kid to make him harder to see.  the vest won't do much to help him blend in, but it's better than nothing. My keys, pocket knife, and gun are in the cargo pants.  If there's a window on the building nearby, I use the reflection to keep an eye on Filcher. [/spoiler]

Bathrobe?! This has been going on long enough!  I have demons to slay! I need to get out of here...If this doesn't work...

"Miss, I just remembered something of great importance.  I must leave for my destination as soon as possible."  I think of just running away, but decide not to unless there is no other option.

BlueBard

Frank's Story:

I notice the gentleman I've been trying to rescue being led away by another man in a trenchcoat, and I'm torn.  Is this another attempt to shanghai him? I wonder, or someone trying to help?

The reality of the situation is that I can't really take my eyes off the first two, so I hope for the best.  I take one menacing step closer to the two men to let them know I'm prepared to finish this fight if they don't back down.  Where is a cop when you really want one? I think to myself.

"L-Leave.  Now," I growl.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie, Ashikyo
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 09, 2007, 10:44:14 AM
Bathrobe?! This has been going on long enough!  I have demons to slay! I need to get out of here...If this doesn't work...

"Miss, I just remembered something of great importance.  I must leave for my destination as soon as possible."  I think of just running away, but decide not to unless there is no other option.

"Really?" I say raising an eyebrow, "Didn't think there was much that could be more important than a free milkshake. Wha's got your britches in a bind, kiddo?"

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 09, 2007, 11:10:38 AM
Lizzie, Ashikyo
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 09, 2007, 10:44:14 AM

"Really?" I say raising an eyebrow, "Didn't think there was much that could be more important than a free milkshake. Wha's got your britches in a bind, kiddo?"

Nothing else to do but run.  However, she seemed nice.  I'll give her a vauge explanation.

"I'm not a kid."

I then run like the dickens.  The direction I run in is past Ms "Lizzie".

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 09, 2007, 05:31:00 AM"Quite right, my boy, but I must stay nearby.  I am a medical doctor and must provide medical assistance if required."

He quickly snaps open the Watch again, then puts it back away.

"I understand, sir, but this looks like it could very easily turn into a dangerous situation.  Perhaps if we duck into this doorway here, we can keep an eye on things from a distance, but also be out of immediate harm's way, should things turn sour."

Great, he won't leave.  Getting him alone & questioning him are, well, out of the question now.  I can only hope they eventually disperse, and haven't noticed where we've gone.

|