• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Thrilling Adventure Tales- Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Started by Alaric, May 07, 2007, 03:15:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Alaric

Chapter 1: Murder in New York!

Cast:

Doctor Mortimer Hertziwits.................catwhowalksbyhimself
Dr. Ray Kostanzis..............................Panther_Gunn
Patch Briarson, a/k/a "Briar" Patch........Viking
Frank Stein......................................BlueBard
Elizabeth "Lizzie" Cunningham..............Glitch Girl
Envoy.............................................Spam
Steven Littlefield..............................Uncle Yuan
Ashikyo...........................................kkhohoho

Directed by, and based on an idea by, Alaric

Rules:

This is a posting game. If you haven't recieved an approved character sheet via PM from me, you are not currently in the game. If you want to join the game, and are not currently one of the players, you can PM me or post in the other thread- however, I can't guarantee that I will be allowing additional characters into the game, and if I do, it may not be for a while. If you are not one of the players, but wish to comment publically on the game, I would prefer that you use the other thread to do so.

For the players, remember- you control your own character. You don't control the other characters, or the world around you. You also can't decide whther some action you are attempting is successful or not- I'll let you know. Similarly, I generally won't be controlling your character (except under rare circumstances, or to enforce certain disadvantages if you seem to be ignoring them)- except a little bit at the very begining of the game, just to help set the scene.

Naturally, all Forum rules will apply within the game.

This game does include character advancement. I've designed the advancement system so as not to unfairly penalize people who can't post as often. Just play as you will, without worrying about it. I'll let you know what you need to know in terms of your character's advancement.

Don't change your posts after someone has responded to them, unless I tell you that the original post couldn't ahve happened that way. Even then, in many cases, it might be batter to just post a new post about what actually happened.

Try to be careful about posting in the game when you think I may be posting in the game. There may be something you need to know before you continue.

Don't make assumptions about the outcome of actions you and the other players take. Tell me what you're trying to do and I'll let you know if you succeeded (of course, this doesn't usually apply to basic actions like, say, picking up a glass of water- it's mostly when there's clearly a possibility that you'll fail, or when someone else is doing something that may interfere with your action, etc.).

Try to indicate in some way at the begining of your post who your character is.

Note that none ofyour characters, at the begining of the game, are famous, and none of them know each other at the begining of the game. However, they are all unusually gifted individuals in some respect. It's entirely possible that certain characters, depending on background, may have vaguely heard of each other. I'll let you know if and when this is the case.

Finally, remember, this is a game about adventure- and there are many different kinds of adventure. Don't be surprised if one adventure leads to an entirely different sort of adventure...

(Note: After this post, I'll be posting a brief prologue. Then I will actually start the game. Don't post in this thread until after I've actually started the game.)

Alaric

Prologue:

(A small Central European nation- the woods, midnight)

It was dark. The trees rustled in the wind.

"Is... is that you, my friend?"

The voice was a barely audible whisper.

"Shh! Yes, it is I," came the whispered response.

The two men quietly shifted around until the moonlight coming through the branches illuminated both their faces. The first man took a deep breath, as quietly as he could.

"I... I feared... Is it true that the Baron...?"

"It... it's worse than you fear," said the second man, terror in every whispered word. "Worse than anyone can know. But keep quiet. Just let me give you the papers, and you can go quietly."

The first man was about to speak, then thought better of it. His head gave a single nod in the moonlight. He quietly took something from the second man, then turned to go.

There was a rustle in the trees. Then a growling roar. Something came through the trees.

Both men stared, wide eyed. The first man manged to make his mouth work.

"Wh... what..."

There were screams.

Alaric

The game... Begins!!!

Dr. Herziwitz-

It's a beautiful morning. You have no appointments until later in the day. You're just following your daily ruitine, crossing the street to pick up a newspaper. You absently notice to men, engaged in some sort of heated discussion. You decide to ignore them. As you reach the newspaper stand, you start worrying about the time, somewhat irrationally. Without thinking, you reach into your pocket and pull out a pocket watch. You realize your mistake quickly, of course, and put it back- but not before noticing that it said [spoiler]"You are an idiot". But why, surely a simple mistake in checking the time couldn't...[/spoiler]

Suddenly, you feel a hand on your shoulder. Turing you see that it belongs to one of the two men you had almost noticed earlier. He's wearing an elegant black suit and is somewhat heavey set, with a wide face and dark hair.

"That was a... very interesting watch, my friend," he says, with an accent you can't place. " I believe I lost one just like it. Where did you get it?"

Dr. Kostanzis-

You're walking down the street, thinking about what a waste of time your visit to New York has been, when you see two men approach another man (who bears some resemblance to Santa Clause, though not in his clothing) in front of a newspaper stand. One of the men wears an elegant black suit and is somewhat heavey set, with a wide face and dark hair, while the other is smaller, more nondescript, and wears a plainer suit, also black, and a hat. What really catches your eye, though, is [spoiler]the ring on the larger man's finger, clearly visible as he accosts the man at the newspaper stand- it bears the symbol of the dread Cult of N'lygonak.[/spoiler]

"Briar" Patch-

Your receptionist- such as she is- is late- again. Not that that's surprising. As you look toward the front door, your headache starts getting worse. [spoiler]You feel that something somewhat familiar to you is about to happen...[/spoiler]

Frank-

As you walk, you notice a heated excharge between two men. One of the men wears an elegant black suit and is somewhat heavey set, with a wide face and dark hair, while the other is smaller, more nondescript, and wears a plainer suit, also black, and a hat.

"Aw, c'mon," says the smaller man. "These things happen, y'know?"

"We deal with that later", says the larger man, speaking with some sort of accent you can't identify. "Now, we need replacement."

"Where're we gonna find a replacement?" asks the smaller man.

Just then, something seems to catch the larger man's eye. You see him walk quickly- almost run- to a man in front of a nearby newsstand, and forcefully put his hand on the man's shoulder. You can't hear what the man is saying, but [spoiler]you see the smaller manfollow, his hand inside his jacket in a way that makes you think he might have a gun...[/spoiler]

Lizzie-

As you're walking toward a bar you know from previous trips, you stop for a moment. That couldn't be- it is. A very familiar form is turnign a corner ahead of you... someone you really didn't want to see here... At least, you're pretty sure it's him...

Envoy-

It figures. You try to help someone, you end up in jail- or at least a police holding cell. Sometimes you wonder why you bother...

Steve-

You're sitting in your hotel room. You know that [spoiler]Dr. Holland has supposedly come up with something that will revolutionize teh derigible industry, for your company, and it's your job to talk with him about it.[/spoiler] Suddenly, the phone rings...

Ashikyo-

As you walk along a narrow street, suddenly, a thin figure rushes around the corner, coliding with you.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Alaric on May 07, 2007, 04:25:53 PM
The game... Begins!!!

Ashikyo-

As you walk along a narrow street, suddenly, a thin figure rushes around the corner, coliding with you.

EDIT: Before this rather unforseen event occured, Ashikyo was just walking down the street, minding his own business, thinking various things to himself.  Well, that trip was rather...interesting.  Throwing up once, twice, thrice...good times.  That trip was awfull!  To top it off, the foreigners looked strangly at me when I got off.  A few even laughed!  Then there was the English language.  I've got a lot of it covered,but it's hard.  Why in #%!! is run an 'ed' word?!  And the worst of it all, people keep calling me a- At that instant, the thin man collided right into Ashi'.  However, that might have not been a wise move on his part.  Ashikyo immediatly created a demonic sword in his right hand, and pointed it at the man.  "SON OF A $!&^#!  THIS IS THE END OF THE LINE!  Now, either you tell me what you are doing, you American baka, (idiot in Japanese) or I'll send you to your ansectors!" (Engrish.)

Glitch Girl

Lizzie's Story

QuoteAs you're walking toward a bar you know from previous trips, you stop for a moment. That couldn't be- it is. A very familiar form is turnign a corner ahead of you... someone you really didn't want to see here... At least, you're pretty sure it's him...

Oh nurtz, I think to myself I've met some sore losers before, but this guy takes the cake

Okay, turn around, act casual, blend into the crowd, maybe he hasn't seen you yet.

Lizzie looks around for a storefront to slip into or maybe even a newstand to quickly buy a paper from to hide behind.  Hey, it's better than nothing.

Spam

The game... Begins!!!

Envoy-

It figures. You try to help someone, you end up in jail- or at least a police holding cell. Sometimes you wonder why you bother...

After feeling stupid and angry with myself, I wonder around the room, looking for anything that might help. Something that could be used as a weapon. I also look for any guards that may be nearby, guards with keys.

"So why does this always happen to me?" I ask myself, wondering if anybody will reply.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteSuddenly, you feel a hand on your shoulder. Turing you see that it belongs to one of the two men you had almost noticed earlier. He's wearing an elegant black suit and is somewhat heavey set, with a wide face and dark hair.

"That was a... very interesting watch, my friend," he says, with an accent you can't place. " I believe I lost one just like it. Where did you get it?"

Me?  Well I, well I doubt you lost one like it.  I mean, I suppose the outside might look the same, but. . .

Oh dear!  Oh my!

What I mean to see is this isn't really a watch, just a bit of something I built in my spare time.  Now if you excuse me, I must be going.

Hertzy will try to pull away and return to his usual routine, resisting the urge to pull out the Watch again, for fear of what the reaction might be.

Uncle Yuan

The game... Begins!!!

Steve-

You're sitting in your hotel room. You know that [spoiler]Dr. Holland has supposedly come up with something that will revolutionize teh derigible industry, for your company, and it's your job to talk with him about it.[/spoiler] Suddenly, the phone rings...

Having just completed unpacking, I grab the room service guide, sit down and the small desk and flip to the menu.  The train from Boston only had a snack service and I'm rather hungry.  I'm just about to pick up the phone to order when it rings.

Gee, that must be the office already!  It must be important for them to be calling me so soon!  I quickly pick up the phone.  "Steven speaking."

BlueBard

Frank:

Noting the possibly hostile intentions of the two men, I scowl, no doubt making my deformities even uglier.  I walk towards the three men, coming from the side.  Although my hat is pulled down low, people passing me on the street catch glimpses of my face and scatter away to give me a wide berth. 

If I see any of the men pull weapons, I decide that I will charge them.  My hope is that they will react with fear and run away.  If not, I trust they will regard me as the greater threat and attack me instead of the other.  I have nothing to lose, and no desire to see anyone robbed or killed.  I also cast my glance about, looking for something to throw at them... preferably something heavy and relatively non-fragile.

I keep my eye out for any other suspicious characters, just in case.

Viking

Patch's Story

QuoteYour receptionist- such as she is- is late- again. Not that that's surprising. As you look toward the front door, your headache starts getting worse.

Patch winces, reaching into his desk drawer for a bottle of aspirin.  Meanwhile, he forces a grin onto his face as he keeps his eye on the door, waiting for it to open.

If the door starts opening, he'll call out, "Detective Bruntman!  Always such a.... pleasure.   What job do you have for me today?"

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: Alaric on May 07, 2007, 04:25:53 PMDr. Kostanzis-

You're walking down the street, thinking about what a waste of time your visit to New York has been, when you see two men approach another man (who bears some resemblance to Santa Clause, though not in his clothing) in front of a newspaper stand. One of the men wears an elegant black suit and is somewhat heavey set, with a wide face and dark hair, while the other is smaller, more nondescript, and wears a plainer suit, also black, and a hat. What really catches your eye, though, is [spoiler]the ring on the larger man's finger, clearly visible as he accosts the man at the newspaper stand- it bears the symbol of the dread Cult of N'lygonak.[/spoiler]

Stopping in mid-stride, eyes widened in shock, he mutters to himself, "Sweet Jesus!"  Ray quickly hazards a look over his shoulder to see if anyone behind him looks "out of place" (although, who can tell what's out of place, really, in an unfamiliar city.....unless they stick out like a sore thumb....which they might).

Muttering again, "What are *they* doing *here*?"  He will attempt to non-chalantly & calmly approach close enough (and perhaps even step towards the side of a building, out of the flow of traffic (on foot and wheels), to be even less conspicious) to eavesdrop on what they're saying, to see if the third man is with them, or just an innocent pawn/dupe.

GM:[spoiler]I have no idea what sort of spells I can cast at this time, but if he has access to any kind of divination/detection spells, that have subtle-to-no visible effects, and can be cast somewhat subtly, he'll do so, attempting to gain whatever knowledge he can about the ring-wearer & companion.[/spoiler]

Quote from: BlueBard on May 07, 2007, 07:25:19 PMI walk towards the three men, coming from the side.  Although my hat is pulled down low, people passing me on the street catch glimpses of my face and scatter away to give me a wide berth.

Seeing the fourth man enter towards the picture, Ray will include him in his observations & scrutiny.  Feeling the comforting weight under his arm, and gripping his cane perhaps a bit too tightly, he agains mutters to himself, "Please let this be innocent.  I'm not prepared for this to get ugly."

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 07, 2007, 05:55:47 PMHertzy will try to pull away and return to his usual routine

"That's it, let him go on his way.  Don't make a scene.  But, then, of course, they wouldn't, would they?  It's all about staying to the shadows with them, isn't it?  Why did they have to pop up *here*?"

Alaric

(Note: This might be a good time for people to post visual descriptions of their characters- only including the obvious stuff, of course.

Also, I like the Lizzie's Story and Patch's Story tags Glitch Girl and Viking used. If other players could do something similar, I'd appreciate it.)

BlueBard

Frank's Story:

I am, not to put too fine a point on it, a hulking monster of a man.  I stand nearly seven feet tall and I am big.  My shoulders are very broad and the ill-fitting dark clothing I wear cannot hide my barrel-like chest, beefy hands that look as if they could bend steel, and long legs like small tree trunks.

I wear a weather-beaten hat on my head, pulled down low.  The collar of my trenchcoat is pulled up as far as I can.  But it cannot disguise the pale, greyish complexion of my skin, nor my brutish, craggy facial features criss-crossed with disfiguring scars.

The scowl I currently wear completes the ugly picture, and it is no small wonder that people shy away from me with frightened glances and quickly look away as they get as far from me as possible.

Alaric

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 07, 2007, 07:03:48 PM
Having just completed unpacking, I grab the room service guide, sit down and the small desk and flip to the menu.  The train from Boston only had a snack service and I'm rather hungry.  I'm just about to pick up the phone to order when it rings.

Gee, that must be the office already!  It must be important for them to be calling me so soon!  I quickly pick up the phone.  "Steven speaking."

It's your boss, Mr. Plant. "I... have some bad news," he says. "I just heard from the police. Dr. Holland- well, he's been murdered."

He waits for your response, then goes on.

"The police would like to talk to a representative from our company. Since you're already in New York, I'd like you to talk to them."

Alaric

Quote from: Spam on May 07, 2007, 05:43:49 PM

After feeling stupid and angry with myself, I wonder around the room, looking for anything that might help. Something that could be used as a weapon. I also look for any guards that may be nearby, guards with keys.

"So why does this always happen to me?" I ask myself, wondering if anybody will reply.

There are a couple of bad-smelling individuals, sound asleep, sharing your cell, but no potential weapons you can see. There are three police officers around a desk visible from your cell, talking.

Alaric

Quote from: Viking on May 07, 2007, 09:16:39 PM
Patch's StoryPatch winces, reaching into his desk drawer for a bottle of aspirin.  Meanwhile, he forces a grin onto his face as he keeps his eye on the door, waiting for it to open.

If the door starts opening, he'll call out, "Detective Bruntman!  Always such a.... pleasure.   What job do you have for me today?"

Detective Bruntman looks surprised. "Some day, you're gonna tell me how you do that," he says, predictably. He sits down uncomfortably.

"Look, you know I don't like coming here. You've been helpful on a couple cases, and maybe you can help with this one.

"You ever heard of a guy named Dr. Michael Holland? Scientist, mechanical engineer, know-it-all? Won the Nobel Prize for physics last year? Yeah, I thought you might've. Well, he was found dead last night. Murdered, on a side street. Bullet wound, but no blood. No bullet, either. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

"The boys picked up a guy at the scene of the crime- suspiscious-looking guy, name he gave was an obvious alias. Trouble is, I'm pretty sure he didn't do it- sure as I can be, with the lack of evidence. Call it a hunch- and you know I hate hunches.

"Also- this wasn't the first time. There's been a bunch of jobs lately, no blood, no bullets, no nothing. From who the victims were, we were figurin' mob hits, probably Boss Greenstreet, but why'd those guys go after a scientist-type?

"Anyways, we're tryin' ta get ahold of a guy from the company Dr. Holland was doing work for. Figure that may tell us something. Still, with the lack of evidence and all, the Chief thought maybe we should bring you in."

Bruntman doesn't look too happy.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie's Story:
My name is Elizabeth Cunningham, but most folks just call me "Lizzie".  Some say I'm a little rough around the edges, but as my poppa says "roughness adds character".  I look a little younger than I actually am, which is about mid-to-late-twenties.  Don't ask my exact age though - it ain't polite.  

I've got a bit of a worker's tan from being outside a lot and I like simple clothing with pockets.  Ah pockets, man's greatest invention next to the airplane.  Right now, I'm wearing a sand colored t-shirt under an explorer's vest (with lots of pockets), cargo pants (more pockets), and a pair of slightly scuffed boots.

Right now I've got my hair tied back.  It's reddish brown, though not as red as my momma's, and it's curly.  I have my poppa's eyes though, grey-green like a misty forest like momma says.  

Alaric

Quote from: kkhohoho on May 07, 2007, 05:29:09 PM

EDIT: Before this rather unforseen event occured, Ashikyo was just walking down the street, minding his own business, thinking various things to himself.  Well, that trip was rather...interesting.  Throwing up once, twice, thrice...good times.  That trip was awfull!  To top it off, the foreigners looked strangly at me when I got off.  A few even laughed!  Then there was the English language.  I've got a lot of it covered,but it's hard.  Why in #%!! is run an 'ed' word?!  And the worst of it all, people keep calling me a- At that instant, the thin man collided right into Ashi'.  However, that might have not been a wise move on his part.  Ashikyo immediatly created a demonic sword in his right hand, and pointed it at the man.  "SON OF A $!&^#!  THIS IS THE END OF THE LINE!  Now, either you tell me what you are doing, you American baka, (idiot in Japanese) or I'll send you to your ansectors!" (Engrish.)

The man looks at the sword, looks at you, blinks, turns, and runs.

"They're not payin' me enough for this..." you hear him mutter as he goes.

Alaric

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 07, 2007, 05:31:18 PM
Lizzie's Story
Oh nurtz, I think to myself I've met some sore losers before, but this guy takes the cake

Okay, turn around, act casual, blend into the crowd, maybe he hasn't seen you yet.

Lizzie looks around for a storefront to slip into or maybe even a newstand to quickly buy a paper from to hide behind.  Hey, it's better than nothing.

Well, it's actually not that crowded right now...

No stores directly around you. You think you remember catching a glimpse of a newstand just around the corner, in more or less the opposite direction from the way your "friend" was going, but you weren't really paying attention.

Then again, it didn't look like your "friend" saw you, and he's already gone around a corner, so maybe you're okay...

Well, maybe not. You see him suddenly come running out from the side street he had turned onto. Looks like he's terrified. He seems to busy trying to get away to have noticed you... you hope.

Alaric

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 07, 2007, 05:55:47 PM

Me?  Well I, well I doubt you lost one like it.  I mean, I suppose the outside might look the same, but. . .

Oh dear!  Oh my!

What I mean to see is this isn't really a watch, just a bit of something I built in my spare time.  Now if you excuse me, I must be going.

Hertzy will try to pull away and return to his usual routine, resisting the urge to pull out the Watch again, for fear of what the reaction might be.

"You built it?" The man smiles, and turns to his friend, who looks a little puzzled. "See? Replacement."

"Are you outa your mind?" says the shorter man. "This is just some guy."

The larger man sighs. "So short-sighted..." He turns back to Hertzy. "you will come with us. You will not make noise." The grip on your shoulder tells you arguing may not be the best option.

Quote from: BlueBard on May 07, 2007, 07:25:19 PM
Frank:

Noting the possibly hostile intentions of the two men, I scowl, no doubt making my deformities even uglier.  I walk towards the three men, coming from the side.  Although my hat is pulled down low, people passing me on the street catch glimpses of my face and scatter away to give me a wide berth.  

If I see any of the men pull weapons, I decide that I will charge them.  My hope is that they will react with fear and run away.  If not, I trust they will regard me as the greater threat and attack me instead of the other.  I have nothing to lose, and no desire to see anyone robbed or killed.  I also cast my glance about, looking for something to throw at them... preferably something heavy and relatively non-fragile.

I keep my eye out for any other suspicious characters, just in case.

As you approach, you hear the tail end of the conversation above. Especially the last part. None of the men seem to have noticed you yet.

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on May 08, 2007, 04:23:26 AM
Stopping in mid-stride, eyes widened in shock, he mutters to himself, "Sweet Jesus!"  Ray quickly hazards a look over his shoulder to see if anyone behind him looks "out of place" (although, who can tell what's out of place, really, in an unfamiliar city.....unless they stick out like a sore thumb....which they might).

Muttering again, "What are *they* doing *here*?"  He will attempt to non-chalantly & calmly approach close enough (and perhaps even step towards the side of a building, out of the flow of traffic (on foot and wheels), to be even less conspicious) to eavesdrop on what they're saying, to see if the third man is with them, or just an innocent pawn/dupe.

GM:[spoiler]I have no idea what sort of spells I can cast at this time, but if he has access to any kind of divination/detection spells, that have subtle-to-no visible effects, and can be cast somewhat subtly, he'll do so, attempting to gain whatever knowledge he can about the ring-wearer & companion.[/spoiler]

Seeing the fourth man enter towards the picture, Ray will include him in his observations & scrutiny.  Feeling the comforting weight under his arm, and gripping his cane perhaps a bit too tightly, he agains mutters to himself, "Please let this be innocent.  I'm not prepared for this to get ugly."

"That's it, let him go on his way.  Don't make a scene.  But, then, of course, they wouldn't, would they?  It's all about staying to the shadows with them, isn't it?  Why did they have to pop up *here*?"

[spoiler]You grip your cane, mutter a few words of an anceint incantation, and secretly trace strange sybols with your finger, casting a minor spell you know which should reveal any traces of They that Lurk Between. You should see any such traces as wispy black tendrils. there are none, although you think you see some black specs on the large man with the ring. That would be consistant with some minor contact in the past, though- not surprising, considering that ring.[/spoiler]

As you approach, you see the fourth man approaching. See BlueBard's description for details. Judging from his appearance, he appears to be a part of this, as well...

You hear most of the above exchange as you get closer.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Herzy's (reluctant) Tale

Hertzy starts sweating once he hears the men's words.  How in the world could pulling out the wrong watch have lead to this?  He quickly goes limp with fear.  Which trying to act nonchallant, wanting as little trouble as possible, he begin trembling.  Anyone nearby has got to know that he's deathly afraid of something.  Seeing an older, fat gentleman in obvious terror of two younger men has got to attract attention, attention which is not good for his health at this point.

Hetzy finally manages to subdue his trembling into a frightened shudder, but is still sweating nervously.  His normally rosy face is now white.  He only hopes that some of the folks who normally see him making this trip will know something is wrong and call for help without getting him into a further mess.

Already knowing what it is going to say, he nevertheless pulls out the Watch, gives it a glance, and hopes he can replace it quickly.

Glitch Girl

Lizzie's Story
[
Quote from: Alaric on May 08, 2007, 06:43:53 AMNo stores directly around you. You think you remember catching a glimpse of a newstand just around the corner, in more or less the opposite direction from the way your "friend" was going, but you weren't really paying attention.

Then again, it didn't look like your "friend" saw you, and he's already gone around a corner, so maybe you're okay...

Well, maybe not. You see him suddenly come running out from the side street he had turned onto. Looks like he's terrified. He seems to busy trying to get away to have noticed you... you hope.

Well... didn't expect that.  Something's really got him scared.  Didn't think that was possible.

I should probably just walk away and count my blessings.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

I'll just start walking.

Starting right now.

Yup, right now.

I don't really want to know what scared him that bad.

Ah nurtz, yes I do.

I lean casually against the building ansd try to blend into the scenery (not literally of course), keeping my eye on my "old friend".  Maybe if I act non-challant, he won't notice me, and I can see what's got him so rattled.

BlueBard

Frank's Story:

Overhearing that the men are about to take the befuddled and alarmed gentleman against his will for some nefarious purpose, I charge forward with a bellowing roar.  I reach out for the smaller man, the one who looked like he might have a gun.  I will try to grab him and shove him into the other man, hard.

Viking

Patch's Story - Character Description

The name's Patch Briarson.  Wasn't too long before people made the obvious joke of calling me "Briar" Patch, and the name just kinda stuck.  Works as well as any, I suppose - you could say I have a certain knack for finding my way out of trouble.  Into trouble as well, but that's a different story.

I wear the standard-issue trenchcoat and fedora that came into vogue ever since Humphrey Bogart started appearing on the silver screen as Sam Spade.  Hey, who am I to buck a trend?  But aside from the job and the duds, that's where the resemblance ends between me and Mr. Sam Spade.  I haven't been at this long enough to have that world-weary expression on my face.  (Though I will admit, Bogart does make that look cool.)  Nope, I'm still young and naive enough to keep a cocky grin on my face.

Patch Briarson, Third Eye Detective Agency - "We Always Know Where To Look."  You can find me in the phone book.

Viking

Patch's Story

Quote from: Alaric on May 08, 2007, 06:41:12 AM
Bruntman doesn't look too happy.

Patch sighs.  "Hadn't even gotten my seat warmed up yet.  Guess we both have to deal with disappointment today, huh?"

He takes a couple of aspirin, chasing them with a swig from a cup of cold coffee from the day before.

"Gaaack!  I seriously need to have a talk with my receptionist about getting in on time.  At any rate, let's head down to the station.  You can show me this mystery man you picked up, as well as that company rep.  Standard consulting fee, plus expenses."

Patch frowns at the nearly empty bottle of aspirin in his hand.

"And that includes a new bottle of aspirin."

Spam

Envoy's Story:

BIG EDIT: (Sorry, I didn't read anything about any of the other characters, so I didn't know if anything would happen to my character. Sorry I had to re-do this....)

Not finding anything, Envoy just sits down and looks at his feet, overhearing the conversation of the police officers, hoping if they'll say anything about him.

If one of the police officers would look at me, he would notice quite a few things about me.

First, my neck is sort of cranked like that of an hunchback. My eyes glare red, they even do that in the dark sometimes. I don't consider myself short and stubby, but then again, most people do consider me that way. People can't even describe my face. It's like I'm a mystery book to them, and their not reading. Also, when I was a kid, whenever I was in public, people started screaming and yelling, and running away. But now as an adult, they just move on with their lives... Strange...

kkhohoho

Quote from: Alaric on May 08, 2007, 06:43:09 AM
Quote from: kkhohoho on May 07, 2007, 05:29:09 PM

The man looks at the sword, looks at you, blinks, turns, and runs.

"They're not payin' me enough for this..." you hear him mutter as he goes.

Ashikyo's Story

Sheesh. I've been having a bad day, and this man not only collides into me, but runs away.  Of course, he has good reason.  It's not every day you hear a death threat coming from a kid with demonic swords.  That's right.  I'm really in my late 20's, but complications arose, and now, I'm stuck at the age of either 9 or 10.  Kind of hard to tell.  But that didn't change my thoughts.  My face also got affected though.  I can hardly show emotion with it.  I still do what I do.  Things have just been a bit different for me since then.

The End

"YES, YOU HAD BETTER RUN!"...Sheesh...Now where was I?...Oh yes.  Need to find demons.  Demons, demons, demons...is that a...no, it's just a poster. I continue to walk down the street, but can't help but wonder what that man was in such a rush about...but I put it aside hoping that ther'll be a demon somewhere.

Panther_Gunn

Ray's Story:

"Oh gods," he mutters (unless he's close enough to be easily overheard by the group, in which case he'll attempt to limit himself to an inner monologue), "they're recruiting him!  Pressing into service is more like it, though."

GM: [spoiler]I'll try to sweep "Frank" into my field of vision during the detection spell, if possible, but with all this happening so fast, I won't take the time to cast another if I'm unable to get him with the first one.[/spoiler]

Quote from: BlueBard on May 08, 2007, 07:30:28 AMI charge forward with a bellowing roar.  I reach out for the smaller man, the one who looked like he might have a gun.  I will try to grab him and shove him into the other man, hard.

"Holy crap!  What the hells is that?"  With the action & attention level ratcheting up so suddenly, Ray quickly flashes to how *he* must look in all this, and if he's blending in well enough.  Being a little bit larger & a little bit heavier than your average Joe, the grey trenchcoat and fedora (because gentlemen always wear hats when properly attired) go a long way to helping him slip back into the crowd.  Even the well-groomed brown hair and almost baby-faced appearance don't stand out too much.  But then there's the cane.  Yes, that could be a giveaway, to anyone who might be looking for it.  Made of a lacquered, but unstained, light wood (perhaps even old ivory?), capped & tipped in silver, it's definitely not "average".  But, no, of *course* it doesn't stand out.  Not that much.  Besides, with this large ....... "person" running & bellowing like that, he's even less likely to have been noticed.

Ray glances over both shoulders quickly, just to be sure.  "I'd better wait a little longer & see how this plays out.  The large, loud one is definitely not their style, so he may not be connected with them, but he could be some sort of rival, which doesn't make him less of a threat to *me*."

Alaric

Hertzy, Frank, and Ray:

As Hertzy looks at his watch again
(Hertzy- [spoiler] It says, as you expected, "You are an idiot!" You'd alwmost swear the word was underlined this time, and that there is an exclaimation mark at the end.[/spoiler])
, Frank lunges forward and pushes the smaller man, just as he was nerviously tugging the larger man's sleeve and starting to say "Let's not-", into the larger man. Both men tuble to the ground, looking startled. Hertzy, suddenly released by the other man, falls to the ground, as well, anxiously clutching his watch.

As the two men look up at their assailant, the startled expressions on both faces change to something approaching... recognition?
(Frank- [spoiler] You've never seen either of these men before in your life.[/spoiler])
The large man's face then changes to anger, while the smaller man's expresses puzzlment.

"Go back to your master, foolish creature!", says the large man. "We have no need of you!"

Ray- [spoiler] unfortuantely, your spell has faded by now, and you don't feel up to casting another immediately. You could try, but it might be... dangerous.[/spoiler]

Alaric

Lizzie, Ashikyo-

Lizzie sees her "old friend" keep running, without looking back. It doesn't look like he's noticed her. Soon, he dissappears around a corner- NOT the one he was originally going around. Still, knowing him, he may be back...

Suddenly, from the same corner Lizzie's "old friend" just ran out from, the last thing Lizzie expects appears- a child, looks to be Japanese, wearing what looks like traditional Japanese warrior's clothing, mostly black. He seems to be looking for something. He's also holding a sword in one hand. He doesn't look scared at all.

Ashikyo- [spoiler] Nope, still no demons. Better keep looking... You do suddenly realize that you forgot to make the sword disappear again after "drawing" it, though. Most people around here don't carry swords, and you already stick out in your clothing...[/spoiler]

|