• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The Thrilling Exploits of... (Game has started- see other thread!)

Started by Alaric, April 30, 2007, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

For that matter, there may have been some confusion as to who is involved in nearby scenes.  So far, we have what looks like:

Dr. Herziwitz is being terrified by two men in suits.  This has been noticed by Dr. Kostanzis and Frank.  Frank, in particular, has reason to suspect that the smaller of the two men is reaching for a gun.  Thus, there's likely to be a scene bringing Dr. Herziwitz, Dr. Kostanzis, and Frank together.

Patch is heading to the police station to see what he can learn about this murder mystery investigation.  Though Patch doesn't know this, Envoy is in jail - probably the suspicious looking character that was picked up last night.  Steve is also likely to arrive at the station to tell what he knows about Dr. Holland, and possibly find out about his murder.  Thus, there's likely to be an upcoming scene bringing Patch, Envoy, and Steve together.

A thin man ran into Ashikyo, who suddenly produced a sword and got really angry.  Lizzie saw a thin man that she recognized walk down a narrow street, and then suddenly come tearing back out in a panic.  She's going to see what has frightened the thin man so much.  Thus, she's probably going to come face-to-face with Ashikyo really soon.

Put simply, the only scene that has suggested the presence of a gun is the one involving Dr. Herziwitz, Dr. Kostanzis, and Frank.

Spam

If any of you have read my post, its different now. I edited it to make more sense, waiting for somebody to show up. Namely Steve.

Sorry for the confusion. :(

FORIAMSPAM!

kkhohoho

I've decided to change that post.

EDIT: It's been changed.

BlueBard

Quote from: kkhohoho on May 08, 2007, 01:42:30 PM
I've decided to change that post.

EDIT: It's been changed.

Much better.  Thank you very much.

And don't worry, I'm sure you'll be able to put those swords to very good use in the very near future.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: BlueBard on May 07, 2007, 07:25:19 PMNoting the possibly hostile intentions of the two men, I scowl, no doubt making my deformities even uglier.  I walk towards the three men, coming from the side.  Although my hat is pulled down low, people passing me on the street catch glimpses of my face and scatter away to give me a wide berth.

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on May 08, 2007, 04:23:26 AM"Please let this be innocent.  I'm not prepared for this to get ugly."

Quote from: BlueBard on May 08, 2007, 06:17:12 AMI wear a weather-beaten hat on my head, pulled down low.  The collar of my trenchcoat is pulled up as far as I can.  But it cannot disguise the pale, greyish complexion of my skin, nor my brutish, craggy facial features criss-crossed with disfiguring scars.

The scowl I currently wear completes the ugly picture

heh.  I made a funny.  :P

Alaric

Quote from: kkhohoho on May 08, 2007, 11:58:31 AM
Quote from: Viking on May 08, 2007, 11:48:35 AM
Just bear in mind, there's a difference between running after someone in a populated city, and running after an unarmed guy in a city populated by mostly unarmed people, while trying to stick a lethal weapon into said unarmed person.  There's a difference between acting irrationally, and acting like a psychopath.

Unarmed?  Alaric said that it looked like the man had a gun...

That was a different man. The man who nearly collided with you was not the man who looked like he MIGHT have a gun, which was noticed by an entirely different character, anyway.

(The things that happen when I don't log on for several hours...)

Glitch Girl

Is it just me or is my character starting to be evolve a very thick southern accent?  I'm sure that wasn't in the creation notes... ;)

Uncle Yuan

Sometimes our character's surprise us.  It's when she turns out to be a man in drag that you really have to worry. . .

Viking

I thought it would be worthwhile to discuss an issue that I've been grappling with - possibly a bunch more than I need to.  Ultimately, it deals with the sometimes-competing motivations of:

1) What do I think my character would do?
2) How do I get my character to be introduced to all the other characters in the game?

I find it a tricky issue.  On the one hand, I feel like the meat of the game should come from the characters interacting with one another, and I should do everything in my power to help the "party" of characters come together at the beginning as fast as possible.  On the other hand, it's understandable that characters may want to split off in different directions.  Someone may feel an urgent need to investigate a lead, or obtain a piece of equipment.  Or a character may be naturally suspicious and a loner by nature.

I'm curious as to what other people's philosophies are.  Speaking only for myself, I cringe a little bit at the start of any game where it looks like a player is steadfastly trying to avoid plot hooks or meeting up with the other characters.  How do other people react to such situations, whether as players or game masters?

Glitch Girl

"Toot toot!  Here's comes the plot train, ready to railroad everyone into the story!  Toot toot!"

Okay, I kid - I'm not a big fan of Plot Hammers or anything that forces the characters together in a way that doesn't make a whole lotta sense, but sometimes they do become necessary as a last resort if the players are splintering all over the place.  Most of the time, I think that as a GM, I  should be able to be flexable enough to adapt and come up with some way to bring everyone together. Forcing the plot can often make the player feel more like observers and that's not fun.

This is not an 100% rule obviously - sometimes things get away from you and you have to do a little plot hammering, but as I said, I like to avoid it as much as possible so that the story at least feels like it's flowing.

Uncle Yuan

I've been struggling with the same problem.  Particularly with my character, who would not horn his way in on a murder investigation.  Like you I find the first few scenes to be the most awkward.  Once the story line begins propelling the character, things get smoothly.

I don't have any good answers, though.  I will probably try something fairly contrived and hope no one notices . . .

Alaric

Character vs Story... The age-old struggle...

In the current game, I regard "character" and "story" to be equally important. In fact, between the two, they're what the game's all about.

Note: The following is enclosed in "spoilers", not because it gives anythign away about the plot, but because it involves a glimpse at the "man behind the curtain", and some players may prefer to maintain the illusion that the GM actually knows what he's doing  :D

[spoiler]I'm still new to running a posting RPG, and I've already learned enough that if I could start it over again, I'd do a lot of things differently. In fact, I think I made a lot of mistakes in the set-up for the game- and, no, I won't list them here. I think a better set up would have made bringing the group together, and moving the story on, much, much easier. That being said, I think GMing a game like this involves a certain amount of "slight of hand"- ideally, I should be able to manipulate events into bringing you together while allowing you players the illusion- the "willing suspension of disbelief", if you will- that no such manipulation is going on. I don't think I'm good enough at this yet to fully do that, although I can do it a little.

There's also the fact that we're still at the very begining of the game- things will defintely go more smoothly after we get past the initial hurdle. Getting to that point is something of a problem, though.[/spoiler]

I certainly wouldn't ask people to do anything blatantly out of character in order to move the story along- but I'd rather, where possible, that people not blatantly sabotage the story, ether. That said, I have backup plans already in place for if certain things don't work out the way I'd like them to. Also, I know that sometimes it can be annoying to be presented with a situation where it's overly clear what you're expected to do- or, for that matter, a situation where it's overly unlcear. I'd like to ask you all to have a little patience- once the game really gets started, you shouldn't have to worry about that sort of thing so much.

Viking

This is all stuff that is important to know.  As far as I am concerned in the present game, I feel like my character has a valid excuse for sticking together with people who have that "player character aura."  Players will generally find that Patch does not object to their tagging along.

Spam

Totally agree with what everyone has said here.

That's why I'm sort of semi-glad my character started in jail... He didn't have to do anything to move the story along. :)

BlueBard

I actually have a similar quandary with Frank.  From a strict characterization standpoint, he's got every reason to go hide somewhere and better reason than most to avoid Hertzy and Ray like the plague... not that they're bad guys or that Frank thinks they're bad guys, just that he has an excellent reason to stay away (which shall remain under wraps for now).

For the sake of the game, he needs to hook up with them.  But from a characterization standpoint, the character needs a good reason to stick around.  The premise doesn't need to be very strong, it just has to be.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Some of the characters could already know each other.  Hertzy in particular seems a good candidate.  He's friendly, has a lot of patients, and probably knows quite a few people in the community.  In addition, many of the other characters are about the right age to have been children during his career, and he does love his younger patients.

Just a suggestion which might make getting some of the character together easier.

Alaric

None of the characters know each other, but some may have heard of each other (unfortunately, the most likely ones are scattered among the different groups right now, but if the groups stick together, that should actually help a little...), and some may have some other connections with each other...

And there are some possible, if somewhat subtle, reasons why some may want to stick together, or at least remain on contact with each other, within the text of the game already. Though, as I said, I have backup plans...

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, Herzy at least is friendly and sociable and like just about everybody, so that should help.

Of course he also hates changing his routines or doing anything unfamiliar.  That won't.

bearded

i'm a little leery of posting, since i'm not involved, but i wanted all of you to know, i'm reading along, and really digging it.  the character interactions are groovy.  i'm reading it like a story, of course.
i do have a question...regarding the curse.  if a man is in a child's body, he would have the biochemistry of a child, right?  would that give the same feelings and emotions of a child?  i'm not entirely clear what age we are talking about also.  perpetual puberty?

Alaric

Quote from: bearded on May 16, 2007, 08:25:35 AM
i'm a little leery of posting, since i'm not involved, but i wanted all of you to know, i'm reading along, and really digging it.  the character interactions are groovy.  i'm reading it like a story, of course.

Glad you're enjoying it. And it's fine for people not actually playing to post, so long as they do it in this thread, and not the actual game thread.

i do have a question...regarding the curse.  if a man is in a child's body, he would have the biochemistry of a child, right?  would that give the same feelings and emotions of a child?  i'm not entirely clear what age we are talking about also.  perpetual puberty?

While for the most part I'm leaving that up to kkhohoho, and how he wants to play the character, I'm more-or-less assuming that emotionally Ashi would be some sort of combination of child and adult- exactly how much of each, I couldn't say. Since that's really part of the character's personality, though, for the most part, I'll leave it up to the player, beyond certain things that have already been established. Also, the world in the game doesn't always run on "real world" logic- more like "adventure fiction" logic. In fact, I'm finding that to be one of the interesting challenges in running this game- I'm normally the kind of person who picks out all the "real world" logical problems in a story.

As to how old Ashi appears, that hasn't really been established, has it? Until it is, I'm just going to let the different players react to him as if he seems to be whatever age they picture him as looking. I'll leave it up to kkhohoho as to whther he wants to define it more narrowly than that.

Glitch Girl

Actually, he did post it in his description on page 1
Quote from: kkhohohohohreally in my late 20's, but complications arose, and now, I'm stuck at the age of either 9 or 10.

BTW: is it possible to group the physical descriptions someplace so we can reference them a bit easier?  Does anyone mind ifI do it here?

Viking

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 16, 2007, 09:11:55 AM
BTW: is it possible to group the physical descriptions someplace so we can reference them a bit easier?  Does anyone mind ifI do it here?

I think that's a great idea, GG.

Glitch Girl

In that case...

THE CAST

Frank Stein
Quote from: FrankI am, not to put too fine a point on it, a hulking monster of a man.  I stand nearly seven feet tall and I am big.  My shoulders are very broad and the ill-fitting dark clothing I wear cannot hide my barrel-like chest, beefy hands that look as if they could bend steel, and long legs like small tree trunks.

I wear a weather-beaten hat on my head, pulled down low.  The collar of my trenchcoat is pulled up as far as I can.  But it cannot disguise the pale, greyish complexion of my skin, nor my brutish, craggy facial features criss-crossed with disfiguring scars.

The scowl I currently wear completes the ugly picture, and it is no small wonder that people shy away from me with frightened glances and quickly look away as they get as far from me as possible.

Elizabeth "Lizzie" Cunningham
Quote from: LizzieMy name is Elizabeth Cunningham, but most folks just call me "Lizzie".  Some say I'm a little rough around the edges, but as my poppa says "roughness adds character".  I look a little younger than I actually am, which is about mid-to-late-twenties.  Don't ask my exact age though - it ain't polite.   

I've got a bit of a worker's tan from being outside a lot and I like simple clothing with pockets.  Ah pockets, man's greatest invention next to the airplane.  Right now, I'm wearing a sand colored t-shirt under an explorer's vest (with lots of pockets), cargo pants (more pockets), and a pair of slightly scuffed boots.

Right now I've got my hair tied back.  It's reddish brown, though not as red as my momma's, and it's curly.  I have my poppa's eyes though, grey-green like a misty forest like momma says. 

Patch "Briar Patch" Briarson
Quote from: PatchThe name's Patch Briarson.  Wasn't too long before people made the obvious joke of calling me "Briar" Patch, and the name just kinda stuck.  Works as well as any, I suppose - you could say I have a certain knack for finding my way out of trouble.  Into trouble as well, but that's a different story.

I wear the standard-issue trenchcoat and fedora that came into vogue ever since Humphrey Bogart started appearing on the silver screen as Sam Spade.  Hey, who am I to buck a trend?  But aside from the job and the duds, that's where the resemblance ends between me and Mr. Sam Spade.  I haven't been at this long enough to have that world-weary expression on my face.  (Though I will admit, Bogart does make that look cool.)  Nope, I'm still young and naive enough to keep a cocky grin on my face.

Patch Briarson, Third Eye Detective Agency - "We Always Know Where To Look."  You can find me in the phone book.

Envoy
Quote from: EnvoyFirst, my neck is sort of cranked like that of an hunchback. My eyes glare red, they even do that in the dark sometimes. I don't consider myself short and stubby, but then again, most people do consider me that way. People can't even describe my face. It's like I'm a mystery book to them, and their not reading. Also, when I was a kid, whenever I was in public, people started screaming and yelling, and running away. But now as an adult, they just move on with their lives... Strange...

Ashikyo
Quote from: AshiSheesh. I've been having a bad day, and this man not only collides into me, but runs away.  Of course, he has good reason.  It's not every day you hear a death threat coming from a kid with demonic swords.  That's right.  I'm really in my late 20's, but complications arose, and now, I'm stuck at the age of either 9 or 10.  Kind of hard to tell.  But that didn't change my thoughts.  My face also got affected though.  I can hardly show emotion with it.  I still do what I do.  Things have just been a bit different for me since then.

Dr. Ray Kostanzis
Quote from: RayWith the action & attention level ratcheting up so suddenly, Ray quickly flashes to how *he* must look in all this, and if he's blending in well enough.  Being a little bit larger & a little bit heavier than your average Joe, the grey trenchcoat and fedora (because gentlemen always wear hats when properly attired) go a long way to helping him slip back into the crowd.  Even the well-groomed brown hair and almost baby-faced appearance don't stand out too much.  But then there's the cane.  Yes, that could be a giveaway, to anyone who might be looking for it.  Made of a lacquered, but unstained, light wood (perhaps even old ivory?), capped & tipped in silver, it's definitely not "average".  But, no, of *course* it doesn't stand out. 

Not that much. 

Steven Littlefield
Quote from: SteveI glance at the mirror over the dresser, Jeepers, I look a mess.  Can't go to the polics looking like this!  Holding the phone with my shoulder I try to clean myself up while talking to Mr. Plant.  I take a couple futile swipes at my hair, trying to arrange a few of the thinning blond whisps to cover up my bald spot.  Sigh, the bald would bother me less if I didn't have such a baby face. I'm only 36, for cryin' out loud.  I retighten my generic "business man's" tie.

Tuck in the shirt tail over a belly grown just slightly too soft from too many hours sitting in front of a drafting table.  And I used to be in such good shape too.  Well, Steven, that was a long time ago.  No use crying over spilt milk.

Getting my off-the-rack suit jacket back over my broad shoulders takes a bit of manuevering, switching the phone from one side to the other while I listen to Mr. Plant's reply.  I glance around and spy my grey felt hat next to my brief case on the bed.

Doctor Mortimer Hertziwits
Quote from: HertzyOne of the pictures in the wall is off-center slightly, which only serves to draw attention to the fact that the good doctor's own bowtie is also off-center and his suit coat, while clean and wrinkle free, is a worn a bit crooked and lopsided.  In fact his whole demeanor somehow reminds one of an absent-minded professor, although it's obvious that one of his profession cannot be all THAT absent minded.  His overweight belly and while hair and beard causing him to resemble Santa Claus if he weren't wearing a business suit only serve to add to this impression.

Uncle Yuan

Less important than biochemistry would be the physical development of the brain.  Children's brains in school age years are pretty stable, but during adolescence there is a ton of remodeling and reorganization that goes on.  It is hypothesized that this transition is what is necessary to move from the the linear, more abolutist thought porocesses of a child to the more nuanced and shaded thoughts of adulthood.

bearded

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on May 16, 2007, 04:34:59 PM
Less important than biochemistry would be the physical development of the brain.  Children's brains in school age years are pretty stable, but during adolescence there is a ton of remodeling and reorganization that goes on.  It is hypothesized that this transition is what is necessary to move from the the linear, more abolutist thought porocesses of a child to the more nuanced and shaded thoughts of adulthood.
interesting.  the only example i can think of in works is the little vampire girl in interview with the vampire.  her body stayed the same, yet her mind did seem to expand to some degree, but her nature still seemed to hold childish notions.  i would guess in this case, the remodeling would be put on hold, yet the reorganization would progress.
i like the characterization of ashi.  he seems to think like an adult, but seems to do rash impulsive things.  i got a feeling that lizzie was going to actually spank him at one point! 
all of the characters are portrayed very well, you guys are good writers.  i realize the appeal of this style of writing, to me.  when you are reading a story, or a novel, you are really only hearing one voice, no matter how good the writer.  this way, the characters are truly as different as individuals can be. 
it would be a good thing, if at some point the story were organized as actual fiction.

catwhowalksbyhimself

QuoteSorry, couldn't find one for Hertzy beyond:
"...older, fat gentleman..." and "...normally rosy face..."

Actually, his description was pretty much summed up by the narrators first bit involving him, so I saw no reason to re-do it.

Quoteanother man (who bears some resemblance to Santa Clause, though not in his clothing) in front of a newspaper stand.

I suppose looking at it now, I should have done more, but I didn't want to have to abruptly interrupt the flow of the story to do it.  I'll try to put something in there later on.

Glitch Girl

No problem Cat.  I updated the decriptor to include that and I'll update it again later when there're a few more details.

Speaking of Ashi: another factor to take into account is how long ago the de-aging took place.  If it was recent (the impression I get), both the body and mind are still sorting out the abrupt new body shape/chemistry.  Plus the new perspective on how society treats him to adjust to.  Old habits die hard, so to speak.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Glitch Girl on May 17, 2007, 08:04:01 AM
No problem Cat.  I updated the decriptor to include that and I'll update it again later when there're a few more details.

Speaking of Ashi: another factor to take into account is how long ago the de-aging took place.  If it was recent (the impression I get), both the body and mind are still sorting out the abrupt new body shape/chemistry.  Plus the new perspective on how society treats him to adjust to.  Old habits die hard, so to speak.

Actually, Ashi was turned into a kid 2-3 years ago.  However, he's trapped in that state untill he gets killed forcefully.

Glitch Girl

Not to sound worried, but it's been two days and no updates.  Is everything okay?

catwhowalksbyhimself

I was getting concerned as well.  I was really enjoying this and am disappointed to see nothing going on.

|