• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

What would you do?

Started by House Quake, April 28, 2007, 04:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

House Quake

We've all seen variances of the flesh eating zombie movies.  We marvel at the heroes inginuity at what they come with for self survival... and we laugh at the how 'someone' always does the stupid thing to mess it all up.

I've thought about this a lot lately and have working plans based on the exact scenerio.   I'm curious to know what others may attempt to do in the lines of self preservation is half the world is suddenlt out to eat you.

lugaru

Cowardly survivalist real me: hole up in my apartment that has heavy gates, multiple fridges and easy to defend stairwells. Arm myself with my extensive collection of kitchen knives. Make a few expeditions to the hispanomart, stop and shop and why not... liquor store if there is a chance I can make it back. I would probably not have access to fire arms, so I would avoid direct confrontation.

Heroic fictional pro-active me: Hijack a boston duck tour (1) because it can travel on land and water, is sturdy as heck (military vehicle) and can transport a group of non infected people and supplies around town, even if parts of the city flood. Load up on weapons, ammo, canned food and hopefully form a resistance at one of the sturdy oldschool bank buildings in the financial district since you've got all kinds of things (security cameras, gates, alarms, bullet proof key coded areas) and hold out until the military comes and indiscriminately bombs us WITH the zombies (even my fiction is bleak).

(1) http://www.bostonducktours.com/

Midnight

I... don't know how the hell to follow that.

Sword

Real  Me: get on the first non-infected boat to Nantucket and stay there. Force the captain of the ferry and car ferry to scuttle the ships.

Proactive: If I was even aware that the dead might rise near me, I'd head it off at the pass, by seeding the gravesites with silver and circling them with a mystic salt circle. Then if some zombies do manage to escape that, I'll rig the entire cemetery with tripwire mines. Sure it might be disrespectful to the dead, but if they don't have the decency to stay dead, I won't have any compunction about killing them again, by any means necessary.

Assume some walking dead make it past the tripwires by learning "Hey dead guys 1-7 stepped on this wire and blew up." That's where the second layer of traps comes in. The roads leading to the cemetary would covered in spike strips. After about an hour of this, there will be stacks of revenantal corspes piled on top of each others, unable to move. At this point, I will walk in with SMG and enough ammo to last three days and I will put each one out of my misery.

bredon7777

Head straight to my father in laws. No neighbors for at least a mile in every direction- got a well, got a generator, guns and enough food in his freezer to feed 10 people for a year.

yell0w_lantern

Don't bother with small caliber arms. You'll need something capable of greater destruction not punching holes in the animated corpse - probably fire, explosives, corrosives or large rounds that will take as much tissue as possible. :wacko:

thanoson

Funny you would ask this, I have been planning this for over a year. 1st off, the best weapon you can use is your mind. Always be a step ahead of the living dead. Know that every sound you make can alert others in the area. Try to be stealthy. Set up a perimeiter, etc....
List of weapons that should be used:
1. Your body should be in top shape. You should be able to keep ahead of the zombies while carrying supplies and the occasional fights that will occur. Stretch whenever possible to keep the muscles from knotting up.
2. Crowbar. It's heavy enough to crush a skull, but not to heavy to lug around. Perfect for infighting and serves as a secondary tool. Can open doors and whatnot.
3. Shotguns have good stopping power, but are very inaccurate. If you are using one of these, make sure the shot is a headshot. By destroying the head, your victory will be complete. However, as soon as you fire it, you've just alerted every zombie in a 10 block circle that lunch is served.
4. A single shot rifle with scope and silencer. You can take your time with this weapon as it's quite. However, not very practical if zombies are within 10' of you. You may have to use other weapons.
5. Pistol or handgun. When surrounded but the zombies are still a bit away, a pistol is your best friend. You can go for the headshots at a safe distance and still rely on the crowbar if nescasary.
6. Machette. Blades never need reloading.
7. Molotive Coctails. Fire works, but you have to make sure they work fast. No sense in the zombies becoming flaming zombies and affecting the nearby areas. To be eaten and burned at the same time sucks.

Vehicles:
1. Bicycle. It's stealthy and faster than any zombie. It requires no fuel and can get inbetween places that are to small for cars to cross. The only thing is it offers zero protection against attack. Unless you count speed.
2. Motorcycle. This is faster than a bike and has the same manuverability as a bike. However, there are 2 major drawbacks. Fuel and EVERY ZOMBIE KNOWS YOU'RE GOING THROUGH TOWN. But, if you have a full tank and open road, you're golden. Until the tank wears out.
3. Armored cars. It's too heavy for the hordes of zombies to tip over and you can survive without fear of them entering. However, prepare to be there for a long time, as the roads will probably be packed with wrescks and people trying to flee. This is a bad chioce.

Places not to go:
1. Police station. Can you say chaos? Imagine how many people will be crammed at the station looking for answers? You have to worry about people here more than the zombies.
2. Hospitals. Death trap waiting to happen. People with bites and newly murdered corpse will most likely be brought to a hospital. Undead rise, instant buffet.
3. Churches. Yes, they are built to withstand entry from outsiders, but there is no food. When a hundred or so screaming praying believers call for their dieties to protect them, it's like the undead are making a pick up order.
4. Banks. No food, no water and precious air in a vault. Not even an escape exit. What happens next?
5. Capitols and city halls. See police stations and hospitals.

Places to go:
1. Warehouse. Most warehouses are made of stone and have few, easily defendable access points. You could live in here for years if it was a food warehouse. Make sure that the refridgerated foods are removed if power is cut. Also, be wary if the warehouse is on a port. The threat here is from bandits.
2. Office buildings. Make sure the 1st floor is deserted and destroy the stairs and/or elevators. Zombies can't climb.
3. Scools. Ever look at a school and think, "Hmm... that looks like a prison?" It's high gates are used to keep people out. Which is what you need. Plus, there is food as well.
4. Military complexes. You know there will be food, shelter, and security here. Only thing is others will be thinking this is a good thing too. Supplies go faster.
5. Abandoned prisons. From the old days are fortressess. Desighned to keep people in, These walls are sometimes 30' high. Get to one of these and you're set for awhile. The problem arises when it is an occupied prison. You have conbvicts and gaurds who are now in a world of authority. The human mind can become evil in events this devestating.
6. Off shore oil rigs. Zombies don't climb or swim. This is ideal, however, food and water are issues. Not to mention the saltwater damaging all technical items.

Top 10 lessons for surviving a zombie attack:
1. Organize before they rise!
2. They feel no fear, why should you?
3. Use your head; cut off theirs.
4. Blades don't need reloading.
5. Ideal protection equals tight clothes, short hair.
6. Get up the staircase then destroy it.
7. Get out of the car, get on to the bike.
8. Keep moving, keep low, keep quiet, keep alert.
9. No place is safe, only safer.
10. The zombie may be gone, but the threat still lives on.

the_ultimate_evil

plain and simple live by any means

Revenant

Well I wouldn't have to worry seeing as how I am undead...

General Jerky

*Smack Revenant with a shovel*

Glitch Girl

Hook up with an engineer who's also a gamer or horro movie fan. 

The Pwime

I'd grab as many knives as I can, along with a steal pipe, and maybe the axe from my garage.  Then I'd lock and re-enforce all doors and windows, hide upstairs, and cry like a child.

Sevenforce

Well, it depends on the kind of zombies we're talking about here. Are we talking about chemically/biologically created zombies (28 days later, Resident Evil, etc. etc.) that will eventually (probably) die off, or are we talking about the possible-mystical-origin created zombies ala Land of The Dead, Evil Dead, etc. that aren't gonna die unless you shoot them through the head? It also depends a lot on the infection transfer - is it through water, blood, or, god-forbid, air?

If 1) then grab supplies, get to the highest building, and wait them out. If they're not out and about during the day, then scramble and search for survivors and more supplies. If they are, then you've got a problem anyway - after all, the dead don't need to rest. If possible, get to the nearest army base. No matter how badly depicted they are in movies, the army are the ones most likely to be alive. If they're not, still plenty of ammo, vehicles, tanks, ATV's, etc. that will help.

If 2) ...Give up. Seriously, you're going to die no matter what. Try and take as many of them out with you as you can, sure, but there's no way you can fight an entire planet! And considering how they 'evolve' in Land of the Dead (please...think of the children! *sobs, hating the movie till it dies*) then they're going to be the dominant life form anyways. Your best option is to kill as many as possible before you go, but they'll get you in the end anyways. Nowhere is safe...even if you could get off the planet, ala the resistance force in Marvel Zombies, they're still gonna be waiting for you when you get back. And you need to get air and supplies from somewhere...

Alaric

Y'know, if hordes of flesh-eating zombies actually did start swarming the world, it's highly unlikely that they would just happen to follow the same "rules" as in the movies...

thanoson

Well, zombies are created by the prescence of Solanum. It is a virus that travels the bloodstream, from the initial point of entry to the brain. From the time you get bitten, you have 24 hours till you expire and come back as one of the undead.

One thing to keep in mind; Zombies don't run! That may look good in the movies, but it's all fantasy to give the viewer a scare and make the zombies more unstoppable. They cannot learn to use items either. They have one purpose and that is to feed. You have nothing to fear of an outbreak of "movie zombies". There still is a lot that you need to know though.

1. Physical Abilities. There are rumors that zombies possess super strength, or lightning speed, etc.... This is all fallacy. They possess the same strength that a person of their size would possess. If the human could fly in life, then he could fly in death. There have been no reports of humans flying though.

2. Respiration. Zombies still inhale air in their rotting lungs. This is how you hear that moan. They do not need to breathe though. This explains why zombies can walk under water.

3. Reproduction. Zombies are sterile creatures. Zombies have shown no sexual desires.

4. Intelligence. Our greatest weapon over the zombie is our ability to think. Countless test have been done and zombies have faikled even the low rodent ones. Even picking up a rock to use as a weapon is below their grasp.

5. Emotions. Feelings of any kind are not known to the living dead.

6. Memories. None to be seen.

7. Communication. Zombies have no language with the exception of the deep-throated moan. This will alert all zombies within a 100 yard radius.

I will post more later in the day.

Spam

I'd put on some heavy metal music, and cock me shotgun, 'cause zombie guts will spill.

FORIAMSPAM!

Night Dragon

First and foremost, real me or otherwise, is defend Caitlyn, no matter what it takes or how I have to do so.

Thanoson considering how there is no such thing as zombies, then 7 and Al points are just as valid.

thanoson

Not true sir. And that is why you will probably be one of the 1st to go. I have been studying the Zombie Survival Guide and am well prepared for the eventual outbreaks. Pray that it is only a Class 1 or 2 outbreak. Those are able to be defeated. Class 1 has numbers of 1-20 zombies in a small isolated area. Class 2 can number up to 100. Things are a little more hectic at this lvl. Class 3? Well, just imagine thousands of zombies walking through the streets. If this happens, make your way out of the city as fast as you and your group can go.

UnkoMan

Just do your best zombie impression and live amoungst them. Eventually they will accept you as one of their own.

That might not have been in the guide, but I've seen things man. I've seen.

Sevenforce

Quote from: UnkoMan on April 30, 2007, 04:38:03 PM
Just do your best zombie impression and live amoungst them. Eventually they will accept you as one of their own.

That might not have been in the guide, but I've seen things man. I've seen.

:lol:

cmdrkoenig67

Zombies huh?  I'd order my remaining crew to arm themselves with laser rifles and hand-held lasers, then barricade all the entry points to the most secure section of the moonbase.  If the zombies break in, then we mow them down with the lasers.  We may also have to send out zombie-hunting(men from the security section) parties to rid the base of those brain-munching menaces.

:D

Spam

Besides, I think everyone knows that the government type people will be the only ones standing... Not like people trapped up in a shopping mall, or anything...

*knows he made a bad Dawn of the Dead joke-thang*

Braaaaaaainnnnns...

FORIAMSPAM!