• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Online Movie Rentals: Yea or Nay?

Started by Spring Heeled Jack, April 28, 2007, 01:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Heeled Jack

I've never been a big fan of movie rentals (or spending a lot of time watching movies in general), but lately I've been getting free rentals 'cause my roommate works at a video store. I've seen quite a few movies that I didn't think I'd ever see (The Science of Sleep, Fast Food Nation, Little Miss Sunshine, &c.), but having seen them, wow, I'm glad I did. A few hand-selected, solid movies can really enchance a person's imagination and overall amusement with life. I own a lot of DVDs, but they're all films that I've seen and definitely knew I liked. Buying movies willy-nilly doesn't figure into my budget.

ANYWAY... I thought about signing up for an online movie rental service (Netflix or something like that). The biggest reasons for my not seeing more movies are 1) the cost of theater tickets and regular rentals, 2) the time it takes to go to the theater or store (crossing my fingers all along that the movie will either be available or not ruined by idiots in the theater)*, and 3) public libraries are nice, but I'm looking for something a little more than Julia Childs's Kitchen (which I thoroughly enjoyed, but not after the seventh time). I figure getting movies in the mail would fix that. Plus, I could drop a pile of titles into the rental queue and take what I get as I get them; I'm not picky about seeing the latest releases ASAP, and my tastes tend to run toward artsy indie flicks anyway.

But I wanted to ask if anyone else does this. Why or why not? I was concerned about the "throttling" Netflix and Blockbuster practice, and I wouldn't want to sign up for "one business day" delivery if they aren't serious about it. I don't watch a lotta movies, but I'd like to have one always on hand just for the heck of it.

*Of course, there are movies I just have to see right away, but I don't recall any recently.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I have Netflix, and have for almost two years now.  I did briefly experience a bit of the throttling phenomena, but it's usually not noticeable.  They only seem to do it if you regularly return movie with a or two after you get them.

Recently I've been getting a bit lazy, but I still get a rental a week or a bit more, and they don't mind that at all.  Mind you, I've never gotten it there the day after I sent it (well, maybe once), but my local post office tends to be a bit slow.

All in all, I'd say go for it, especially if you aren't going to be ravenously devouring tons of movies.

Pyroclasm

I use Blockbuster Online.  I've never experienced this "throttling" some have claimed.  I get my movies, watch them and return them to the store the next day.  Once returned to the store, it is scanned in marking it "returned", and the next movie is shipped the following business day.  On top of that, I go home with a movie free from the store for each one I returned.  My new mailed movie arrives the next day after being shipped (two days after being returned to the store).  On average (with my 3 movies out at a time deal) I see about 9 movies a week.  On top of that, they give me 2 free movie or game coupons every month and other miscellaneous coupons.  I never have to go to the post office, and I'm never without a movie.  They also offer smaller deals for those that don't watch that many movies.  If you have other questions about Blockbuster Online, I'll do my best to answer.  I'm a BIG fan of their service.

GogglesPizanno

I use Netflix and absolutely love them.
Originally it was for movies, but Im finding myself now using it for Television shows more and more.

I dropped my cable down to the absolute minimum priced service and then just rent those TV shows i want to see, but don't get the channels for (HBO, Showtime, A&E etc...).The plus is that there are no commercials and i can watch a whole season of a show in bulk. Downside, you usually are about 1 season behind the current.

The "throttling" issue isn't so much a big deal for me as i tend to see newer movies in the theater and rent older, obscure (ie.. Crappy SciFi starring Dean Cain) or foreign films which rarely have any wait time.

Ive heard that the Blockbuster service is pretty good, and the ability to return at the store is really nice.
I just have a big problem with Blockbuster the company, so I wont use them.

lugaru

Blockbuster seems to be more consistent.
The movie selection at netflix is insane.

Obviously I go with netflix, I've had some minor problems but they have movies that are nearly impossible to get.

thalaw2

To be honest the US is behind in this technology.  China has a service that allows you to use your cell phone to pay for a movie and watch it stream seamlessly via an add-on to Microsoft Media Player.  You pay your fee and less than half a minute later you're watching your flick.  What's cool is they haven't dubbed over English movies, only added Chinese subtitles.

Ajax

Problem with that thelaw2 is (I'm speaking for myself though others I assume might agree) I want to watch my movies on a monitor larger than a cell phone at least laptop size. A friend of mine just got a settlement in a class action suit against Netflix where they were stiffing him on his movies (getting maybe one a month even though he returned the day he got them since he has that kind of time). This was because he was on the lowest tier you can get, so now he gets a free year of Netflix with the highest tier.

GogglesPizanno

Netflix is starting to roll out a similar online streaming service.
You get an hour of streaming video per $1 you pay a month (in addition to the regular DVD rentals)
So the average 3 disk service which is $17.99 a month entitles you to stream 18 hours worth of video per month for free.

It also is based on Windows media, so its Internet Explorer only with a player plug-in and you have to deal with Windows DRM.
I tried it the other night and couldn't get windows media player to authorize my browser...
This was a windows DRM issue and not so much a Netflix issue.
They pointed me to a Microsoft utility that I needed to get my DRM reset and updated blah blah blah...
But like all Windows hassles that are more difficult than they need to be in order to just do something simple...I just gave up. Wasn't worth it to me.

I'm happy with my DVD's.
Ive been getting 2 day service for almost 3 years now.

Spring Heeled Jack

Hmm. Thanks, everyone. It all sounds like a reasonable system, and considering the kind of movie fan I am and the viewing habits I have, I'll probably go with Netflix. I'm moving soon, though, so I'll wait till I settle in elsewhere.

Blockbuster is appealing, but the closest store will be on the other side of town where I'm moving. The benefits aren't applicable if I have to keep hitching a ride. I'd rather get the DVDs direct to my mailbox, anyway.

Whee!

Pyroclasm

Quote from: Spring Heeled Jack on April 29, 2007, 04:14:57 AMBlockbuster is appealing, but the closest store will be on the other side of town where I'm moving. The benefits aren't applicable if I have to keep hitching a ride. I'd rather get the DVDs direct to my mailbox, anyway.
The DVDs do arrive directly to your mailbox AND you can either return it via your mailbox, P.O. or store.  The benefit of the store is that it is "instantly" registered as returned AND they send you home with a store movie while you wait for your new mail DVD to arrive.  (You know the exact time it was returned.)  If you use the P.O. exclusivey, either with Blockbuster or Netflix, you are at the whim of the postal system and the provider.  You might wait several days for your movie to "return" to the warehouse.  Before Blockbuster started their "Total Access" store return program, there was no way to know when my movie actually returned back.  So conceivably they could have received it, and waited to send out my next movie.  Or my P.O. could just suck and fail at prompt delivery.  My P.O.s arround here differ so much in quality that if I were to return it through the one in MY city, it would take a week or more to get back to Blockbuster.  If I went to the next city over, it would take 2 days.
My advice:
If you use the P.O. exclusively, both programs are very similar.  So if that's how you will use them, you should go to each site and do a search for some of the "obscure" movies you'd like to see.  Go with the program that yields the best results for YOUR tastes.  A few years ago that's what I did and it led to my current provider.

Spring Heeled Jack

Netflix has an impressive catalog, and there's a distribution center about one mile from where my new apartment will be. I could walk it over there if I wanted. ;) Not to mention that I'll be working at a post office.

But I haven't committed to either. I'm just saying that the benefits of Blockbuster's service are moot for someone who never goes to a Blockbuster store. I wouldn't have a car even if I wanted to go. I'd have to wait a day or two to get a ride over there, and by then I could just have dropped the DVD in the mail and forgotten about it.

Overall, I'm very excited about online video renting. Should be fun. :D

El Condor

In regards to the speed of delivery: if you have a post office with an early pick-up (say, 7:30 to 9:00 AM), it is possible to get the movie the next day.  It has happened with me a couple of times. On average, though, I receive my movies two days after returning a previous batch. 

It sounds to me like you will be happy with Netflix.  Your lack of desire to run around for movies and your taste for indie flicks sounds tailor-made for this service.  One thing I love about online rentals is that moment when you're thinking to yourself "oh yeah, I've always wanted to see that movie", or having a conversation when someone recommends a movie, and you forget which movie it was days later when you're standing in the video aisle.  This way, if you're close to a computer, you go right to your queue and pop the movie in. Done!  It's one my favorite little pleasures.  :D

EC

Uncle Yuan

I think one of the hidden benfits of services like this is that it "forces" you to be a more flexible movie watcher.  Depending on how many movies you watch, you can be adding movies to your list months ahead of time.  By the time they come you've probably forgotten that you qued them and maybe even why you qued them.  So you end up watching a movie that you weren't expecting and may not even be i the mood for.  I find this a very refreshing way to watch movies.

Pyroclasm

Quote from: Uncle Yuan on April 29, 2007, 08:15:03 AM
I think one of the hidden benfits of services like this is that it "forces" you to be a more flexible movie watcher.  Depending on how many movies you watch, you can be adding movies to your list months ahead of time.  By the time they come you've probably forgotten that you qued them and maybe even why you qued them.  So you end up watching a movie that you weren't expecting and may not even be i the mood for.  I find this a very refreshing way to watch movies.
Totally agree, Yuan.  Since I watch about nine movies a week with my service, I am constantly adding movies to my queue.  Some of them I normally would never bother with if I had to pay $4.99 each.  I've found many hidden gems by not being as picky.  Of course, I've also seen many stinkers.  But at about $0.43 a rental, it almost feels like renting for free.  Oh, and I don't have any cable bill because of it.  :thumbup:

Mr. Hamrick

wow, I had two rather indepth conversations yesterday with industry professionsals regarding the whole "online rental" thing.  One of those of coversations were very much pro-rental and online rental and the other very aginst.  I think you nailed the "core" of the thing on the head, SHJ.

As someone who is in the business of making movies, I am going to tell you wholeheartedly to sign up for Netflix.  The only reason that I am not going with Blockbuster is some personal issues I have with them as a company but I've heard that their online service is not as bad as their in-store policy.  However, I am going to also say that you should not solely rely on online rentals or rentals of any kind. 

Here is my logic and logic that is based on conversations with people who are in the area of distribution and a former studio suit respectivey:

A good portion of the film and video industry does and will continue lie in the DVD and similar direct to user market.  Rather this is sales of the DVDs, the rental of the DVDs, or other online viewing is irrelavent as long as you understand that a rather significant portion of the industry's future will be in those markets.  With the increasing number of independent filmmakers, other avenues are simply being sought out to to bring audiences films being made outside the "Hollywood market".  While some independent films will still get shown at theaters, the number is a relatively minor percentage compared to what is actually getting into film festivals for the opportunity to be bought and distributed or even made.  I just returned from The Atlanta Film Festival and I can speak of this firsthand.  Some of the funniest movies I saw there will not likely get a major theatrical release (The movie PARK with Daniel Baldwin, Ricki Lake, Izabella Miko and Tiina Fey).  One of these films in particular had some recognizable faces in it.  Two others were made with the intent of being put to DVD sales (Hamilton and Murder Party).  Another film that I saw there is not likely to get an American release due to some content issues however it's a wonderfully done documentary (the film is called Flesh and Blood.)  Another really good one from the festival that I suspect will not see national distribution was a locally produced film called Somebodies.  Also, look The Signal, which will get released later this year.

So yeah, I'd join up just to catch what you're not being brought in the theaters for whatever reason.  However, I'll still suggest that some films are meant to be seen on the big screen in your local multiplex.

thalaw2

Quote from: Ajax on April 28, 2007, 08:26:17 PM
Problem with that thelaw2 is (I'm speaking for myself though others I assume might agree) I want to watch my movies on a monitor larger than a cell phone at least laptop size. A friend of mine just got a settlement in a class action suit against Netflix where they were stiffing him on his movies (getting maybe one a month even though he returned the day he got them since he has that kind of time). This was because he was on the lowest tier you can get, so now he gets a free year of Netflix with the highest tier.

Sorry for the misunderstanding...I mean t hat you pay with your cell phone and then the company sends you an access code.  You can use the code to run the movie from your computer.  I've never had any problems with it and the price (about $1.50/day) is pretty reasonable.  If you have one of them fancy wall mounted televisions you can plug your PC or laptop into that and enjoy!  I must admit that I miss having DVD specials like cut out scenes, commentary, interviews, etc.   

Spring Heeled Jack

Oh, I meant to ask: What is the general policy regarding lost or errant DVDs? Have Netflix and Blockbuster stated any such thing? 'Cause with that much mail going in and out I'm something gets misplaced now and then.

Uncle Yuan

Netflix at least doesn't make a big deal about it if it doesn't happen too often.  I think the one or two times it's happened to me over the last three years or so I just told Netflix and that was it.  I can imagine though that you could be charged or dropped if it happens too much.

Pyroclasm

With Blockbuster, you report it on the site and they send you your next movie or resend the same one, your choice.  You aren't penalized, though according to their FAQ, they do keep track of how many times that excuse is used.  They indicate they can close an account if they feel that someone is abusing it.  I've reported about 5 lost DVDs in the last 2+ years, and have had no negative repurcussions.