• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The Connoisseurs - Big update to our website

Started by lugaru, March 12, 2007, 04:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

In case you guys want movie reviews or other great stuff here's the udpate:

http://www.theconnoisseurs.com/

Javier: 7 movie reviews - Babel, Children of Men, Last King of Scottland, Half Nelson, Shortbus, The Prestige and Little Miss Sunshine.

Jon: Back from his volunteer trip to New Orleans he's got 6 restaurant reviews from the big easy.

Michael: Our wine expert has got 4 bottles: Champagne Jacquesson Cuvée No. 730, Juillot Montagne Premier Cru, Rayun Sauvignon Blanc and Claude Courtois Racines Les Cailloux du Paradis

Tom: All six rockstar energy drinks, Three Philosophers Cherry Lambic, Sam Adams Cranberry Lambic and a recipy the sneaky thief took from me, a Mexican staple called "Moyetes" which he has re-dubbed "bean toasties".

GhostMachine

Carravaggio

it looks good...but what the heck are 'refried beans'? seriously?
Nice site, Lug, as a young bachelor i'm always on the lookout for good eatin' thats quick and satisfying.

GhostMachine

Quote from: Carravaggio on March 15, 2007, 12:02:29 AM
it looks good...but what the heck are 'refried beans'? seriously?
Nice site, Lug, as a young bachelor i'm always on the lookout for good eatin' thats quick and satisfying.

I can answer that question:

Refried beans is actually a mistranslation of frijoles refritos. They're more or less beans (usually black beans or pinto beans) that are mashed up and sometimes have spices and\or onion added to them. I usually just add some diced green chiles (from a can, not fresh) when I make them.

lugaru

Yup, an espanto mask, got it from some ebay vendor for halloween.

Refried beans is what he said, personally I get the goya whole beans in a can, drop 'em in a dab of hot oil and start mashing away immediatly (the thicker they get the harder to mash 'em) and keep stirring the crust forming at the bottom into the beans for extra flavor. I harrassed the living stuff out of Tom for that recipe though, it is called "Moyetes" and it's a classical bachelor food in Mexico which you can get at cafeterias near colleges too for like 50c each, super cheap. He said that "I didint remember your fancy Mexican word so I called them Bean toasties". Meh, I'll let this one slide. And expect more recipes in the future, although the upcoming ones arent too bachelor friendly (French onion soup and my steak and Guiness Pie, which are easy but not a 5 minute meal you cook after work).

GhostMachine

That sounds good.

One thing I do with refried beans occasionally is stir in some shredded cheese. Usually cheddar, unless I have a Mexican blend (cheddar, monterrey jack, and asiago) on hand. I don't like mine with onions, however, so I never use those.

I should probably check eBay for masks. Highspots has plenty of masks, but they charge too much. (I'd love to have a La Parka, Blue Demon Jr or Hayabusa mask - maybe a Rey Bucanero, depending on which design\color scheme it is)

I've got a few recipes posted on 3 or 4 different website across the net. I'd post some here, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Btw, what does Espanto translate into in English? None of the Lucha sites (mainly Luchawiki, as La Arena shut down a couple years ago) I've looked at say.

El Condor

Quote from: GhostMachine on March 15, 2007, 07:56:08 AM
Btw, what does Espanto translate into in English? None of the Lucha sites (mainly Luchawiki, as La Arena shut down a couple years ago) I've looked at say.

Hmm...like "horror" or "fright", as in "The horror...the horror..."

Speaking of movies  ;), nicely done on the reviews, Lugaru.  The only one I've seen that you reviewed is "Half Nelson", and I agree heartily on your take.  I'm personally very glad that they didn't give us a neat, tidy ending all wrapped up in a bow, but rather just enough hope to want to meet these characters down the road a bit, hopefully in a better place. 

In general, very cool site.  All the mention of food made me painfully hungry, though.  Mmmm, frijoles......

EC

lugaru

Yup, I would go with espanto = fright, as in an individual frightening thing. In spanish a haunted house is a casa de espantos or a house full of frights.

Condorito: Im shocked that out of so many mainstream movies the only one you have seen is half nelson which is totally indy! Hehehe, that's only a good sign I guess. Hopefully in a week I'll get my review for Brick up, I think you would like that one. Also coming is the perfume and the departed, the ultimate boston movie starring Jack Nicholson as the Joker.

bredon7777

konbiz

Yes, Brick is a very good movie. Glad I'm not the only one who's seen it.  :thumbup:

El Condor

Quote from: lugaru on March 17, 2007, 04:53:23 AM
Im shocked that out of so many mainstream movies the only one you have seen is half nelson which is totally indy!

Well, my favorite movie theaters are Coolidge Corner, Kendall Square, and West Newton if that helps you at all.  :)

Actually, the showing of Half Nelson that I saw at Kendall had the director and screenwriter in attendance, and they gave a talk with Q&A afterwards.  It was really cool!  I left with huge admiration and respect for anyone who goes through the grind of making a movie.

Can't wait for Brick; it's in my Netflix queue, and I keep hearing nothing but rave reviews for it.

EC