• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Flying/Hovering Melee Attacks possible?

Started by Shmeegal, March 07, 2007, 03:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TaskMasterX

Quote from: Blitzgott on March 09, 2007, 08:14:42 AM
The thing with attacks with the "airbone characters only" power flag is that they can only be given to built-in characters. You'll have to create a character via the FFEdit, create the powers, the template, and then it should work.

Edit: Oh, and another thing about my method. When I mentioned that my method does not work against moving opponents (the hero would land before attacking), it is not quite like that.

See, if you are, for example, trying to attack a flying opponent from behind when he is moving, then your hero will land. However, if your opponent is flying in your direction or you are trying to attack him laterally, it should work like it is supposed to. I still recommend giving a high maximum distance to the flying melee attacks, though. Myself, I'm using a minimum distance of 5 and a maximum distance of 25, but it should be OK to lower the maximum distance a bit.

Ah, my method works for both built-in and customs. I made a built-in and tested him out and I don't think it's as consistent as the method I'm using. Everytime a target has his back towards me, I land, whether they're moving or not and sometimes even if they are facing me. With my method they stay in the air until you choose to land them.
Also, I thought about what you said about my method not registering as a melee attack against defenses. The community has been using "stretch punch" FX for beam powers simulating Mr. Fantastic (or anyone who can stretch their body parts) since early in  :ff:, and also use things like Living Laser to simulate ranged melee attacks (Nightcrawler's Bamf Punches come to mind), plus people have used the Flying Melee method mentioned by Electro (also uses beams) so I don't think this is as big an issue as I first thought, since so many already use beams, projectiles and area attacks to simulate melee attacks.

Blitzgott

I agree. Your method is more stable than mine.

Regardless, my method is there for anyone who wants another alternative for flying melee.

TaskMasterX

I actually use a combination of both methods. Since custom AI's can use built-in powers w/  Airborne Only I add TMeleeAir tactics to their m25ai file so my Giant-Man, Tower, and other giants can swat fliers out of the air. If I play Giant-Man I turn the AI on when a flier gets in the air and he uses the Melee Air power to try to hit the flier. Once the flier lands or is koed, I turn the AI off to gain control back. The hexing of the KFs method is awesome for flying melee characters like Superman, Wonderman, etc.

Lunarman

How did you make that animation you used in the video. surely it can;t have been thee already. I know vx meshes have something similar but it starts from melee idle and not from the flying pose. What did you do?

Thankyou

Lunarman