Started by Agent, February 17, 2007, 06:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

the_ultimate_evil

i'm surprised your not all going nuts over the return teaser in universe 0

[spoiler]barry allen[/spoiler]

zuludelta

Logan #2
Published by: Marvel Comics (Marvel Knights imprint)
Written by: Brian K. Vaughan
Art by: Eduardo Risso

The second installment of the Marvel Knights three-parter (the book isn't a MAX title as I erroneously stated earlier in this thread). The story picks up where the first issue left off, with the fugitive Logan being taken in by a mysterious Japanese woman in the city of Hiroshima, right around the time of the city's atomic bombing by the US military.

The "second act" is generally the make or break portion of any screenplay or scripted comic book narrative, and I have to admit that I feel a little underserved here. It doesn't help that Vaughan seemingly telegraphs a significant plot point (the identity of the flame creature featured in the cross-cutting present-day scenes... how much are you guys willing to bet that it's not the American soldier, but the ghost of Logan's Japanese lover?). And while I suppose faux-Japanese stereotypes are de rigueur in any Wolverine story (or most Marvel Comics stories set in Japan, for that matter), would it have killed Vaughan to not have introduced another sexy Japanese female who just so conveniently happens to be a skilled swordswoman and martial artist? 

Additionally, I appreciate Vaughan's attempt to humanize the protagonist by having him apologize to his erstwhile lover for his lousy technique in bed, but it does come off as clumsy and perhaps a little forced. I imagine there's really no elegant way to say "I'm horrible at sex," but working in one of Logan's pet phrases ("I'm the best at what I do") into his apology just turns what should be an insightful moment with the character into high camp. I dare you to read his apology and not groan in embarrassment for the writer.

My specific gripes about the writing aside, Vaughan's dialogue is pretty solid for the most part. First-person narration is very tricky to pull off effectively, but Vaughan manages to give Logan the gruff and somewhat world-weary personality we've come to associate with the character while still giving his words a certain flair.

Eduardo Risso's art (and Dean White's colouring) continues to be the main draw for me. Risso seems to be drawing on the stylistic influences of Goseki Kojima and Barry Windsor-Smith here, while still maintaining the solid draftsmanship and storytelling he's known for.

I can't shake the feeling that this would have been better as a 48-page or 64-page one-shot, though. There doesn't seem to be enough substance to the story to hang 3 issues worth of effort on to it, and Vaughan's veiled expository recap (disguised as narration/dialogue) at the beginning of the issue only serves to take the reader out of the story immersion.

This would be a decent mini-series even if the story plays out as I think it will, but I'm still hoping that Vaughan has something new and different up his sleeve to reward the lapsed Wolverine readers who've stuck by this tale hoping that it can help restore some of the appeal of one of Marvel's most overexposed and mis-used characters.       

My Rating: 3 out of 5       

AncientSpirit

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on May 05, 2008, 11:53:59 AM

Man, don't know how I missed this.  Without anymore spoilers, what pages would I find this on? 

Thanks.

thanoson

The whole book is narrated by him. Look at the text coloring then look at the last page.

zuludelta

Foolkiller #5
Published by: Marvel Comics (MAX imprint)
Written by: Gregg Hurwitz
Art by: Lan Medina

Final issue of the mature-readers vigilante/crime mini-series. The story never really went anywhere (although the signs were there in the first issue that this would be a pretty mediocre book, plot-wise). The biggest problem with this story is that there are no interesting characters, much less any characters worth investing in emotionally for the duration of the mini. The protagonist, the villains, and the supporting characters are all cardboard cut-out stereotypes straight out of a very bad B-movie. Recently deceased Foolkiller-creator Steve Gerber must be turning in his grave. This abortus of a character has nothing at all in common thematically with Gerber's creation and I'd be perfectly happy if we were never to see this version of Foolkiller, stupid jester tattoos, pimp cane (with hidden sword) and all.

Forgettable story, forgettable characters... a horribly executed attempt to ape Garth Ennis' Punisher material (Hurwitz himself and editor Axel Alonso admitted that the original plan was for Hurwitz to write a Punisher story under the MAX imprint, but it would conflict with Ennis' plans for the character so they decided to get "the next best thing").

Only reason I stuck by this book was for the Lan Medina art, but his art here isn't as strong as his previous work for Marvel and his Filipino komiks material. As seems to be the trend with Marvel and DC these days, the pages were shot straight from the pencils (no inks), and the end-result is somewhat a little too "soft" and murky. Medina is a superb visual storyteller and draftsman, so it's a shame that his work has to suffer here due to a printing decision. 

My Rating: 1.5 out of 5       

Placebo

Thought this would be a slow week but I nabbed 4 new issue 1's :)

the usuals first:
The Amazing Spider-Man:
I cant help but feel this is all a filler, needlessly padding pages till it's time for spidey to get back into the swing of his old life (no pun intended)
the "villain" was cheezy, the action just wasnt there, and the new work angle just bugged me, overall, still not impressed with "brand new day"

The Amazing Spider-Girl:
starting off the new story arc "brand new may" Spider-Girl is currently outshining it's "father" comic in my oppinion, the action levels are still kind of low, but better than Spider-Man at this point, and the plot twists are coming thick and fast, recently this has gone from one of my "extra" reads to one of my favourite, and the recent involvement of another arachnid powered heroine is a nice bonus.

Captain Britain and MI13:
The Skrull Invasion is in full flight over the skys of england, as Captain Britain, Black Knight, Pete Wisdom, Spitfire and John Lennon (yes thats right!) join forces to serve queen and country, and there's a few moments where you realise just how far the team will go to do just that.
As Brian professes his need to represent like Steve Rogers did, he puts everything on the line to show why he's the captain, just how much will he sacrafice? is this the end for Brian?
needless to say, i'll be picking this one up again, I just HAVE to see what happens!

Guardians of the Galaxy
Carrying on where Annihilation left off, the team debriefs on their first mission while they flashback to the reasons why they're together.
I dont feel the team has a whole lot of chemistry beyond the ties formed in annihilation, it's very much rocket raccoon and groot, with starlord as an afterthought, and mantis as an even later afterthought, drax and gamora, and quasar with warlock.
the only other real interaction was a very brief conversation between drax and phyla over moondragons death in annihilation.
while I see potential for the title, it's obvious it's not going to be a long lived one, even before mantis's plot twist revelation.
tho i'm curious to see who exactly is floating around space frozen in ice... holding that red white and blue shield...

New Universal: Shockfront:
Not really a new series, it's more like a direct carry on from the last, but with a "4 months later" kinda thing going on.
we get our first powered nutjob / potential villain, and 11 random frames of a new powered which is then left unexplained.
a little sporadic, but I like the characters, I just felt the issue was "incomplete"
if this issues job was to lay the basic info out for what's already happened and what possibly could, then i'd say it worked, despite them completely ignoring the 4th powered character introduced in the first series.
really, this was more of a #0 than a #1.

Genext:
This was my star pick of the week, it's pretty much a children of the X-Men kinda thing, I'm not normally into X-titles but this one has piqued my interest.
so far the only lineage that has been revealed is the new colossus is the grandson of the original, "Olivier Raven" is the son of Rogue and Gambit, and "Becka Munroe" is the daughter of Storm and an un-named male, concieved in the savage land after Storms capture of Brainchild.
the 2 remaining members, "Rico" and "No-Name" have yet to have their parents revealed.
a frame of a white haired Beast overlooking the danger room where X-23 is training the 5 shows there may be another 7 members somewhere about the academy.
their powers havent been fully covered yet, Colossus retains the identical powers of his grandfather, "olivier" has Rogue's absorbtion powers, tho he can control them, aswell as a permanent case of telepathy, which apparently he hates.
"Becka" is much the same, retaining storms weather control powers, but also has a feral side, which includes glowing amber eyes, black markings appearing on her body, growing fangs and heightened strength.
"rico" isnt explained very well, his powers are invisibility, it seems he's keeping his identity as far as his parents a secret, as an attempt to have a "normal life"
and "no-name" is erm.. well.. apparently she's smart, but nothings been said or shown about her powers, so yeah.. not alot to say.
either way, i'll be putting this on my pull list, if it follows the footsteps of young avengers, i'll be very happy :)

Silver Shocker

Quote from: Placebo on May 17, 2008, 08:54:05 AM
tho i'm curious to see who exactly is floating around space frozen in ice... holding that red white and blue shield...

Given solicitations for later issues, I'm pretty sure that's Vance Astro of the original GotG. Not to be confused with Vance Astrovik aka Justice (two different time lines)

zuludelta

The Other Side #1 - #5
Published by: DC Comics (Vertigo imprint)
Written by: Jason Aaron
Art by: Cameron Stewart

The Other Side was initially published in 2005, to much critical acclaim (it was nominated for an Eisner Award for best mini-series). I've been looking for the TPB for the past few months now, but I couldn't find it any of my local shops, so I just ended up getting the set.   

The premise of the book is it looks at the lives of two soldiers from the opposing sides of the Vietnam War, young American draftee Bill Everette, and young North Vietnamese volunteer Vo Dai. If Everette's side of the story seems reminiscent of the film Full Metal Jacket, it's for a good reason: Aaron freely used Gustav Hasford's novel "The Short Timers" (which was the basis for Stanley Kubrick's film) as inspiration and reference. Incidentally, Aaron is the late Hasford's younger cousin.

It would have been easy for Aaron to simply present the story in The Other Side as a "zero-sum" tale that tries to appease the two conflicting historical perspectives on the conflict, showing that acts of heroism and gut-wrenching atrocities were committed by both the Americans and the Vietnamese, but Aaron does more than that. He looks at the motivations behind the North Vietnamese peasants' support of the NLF/Viet Cong (it was borne out of a sense of self-defense against American militarism than support for Communism), while also taking a refreshing "magical realism" approach to the story-telling.

Cameron Stewart's art has a rough, sketchy aesthetic to it, and it meshes well with the gritty, emotional story.

All in all, one of the best comic books I've read in a long time. Very highly recommended. 

My Rating: 5 out of 5       

Midnite

Is anyone reading DC/Wildstorm Dreamwars?

zuludelta

Quote from: Midnite on May 25, 2008, 07:18:55 PM
Is anyone reading DC/Wildstorm Dreamwars?

I've pretty much abandoned Wildstorm Comics ever since DC decided to just turn it into "DC lite."

DrMike2000

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on May 05, 2008, 11:53:59 AM

[spoiler]barry allen[/spoiler]

I'm not really going nuts over the return, more over the manner in which it was delivered.

The black narration bubbles turning red over the course of the issues, and the voice kind of waking up and becoming more human and less cosmic... "He always used to tell me to call him Clark", "And... I know Hal Jordan?", they were a great use of comic storytelling. One of those things that couldnt have worked in any other medium.

And the final page worked for me, not because of the impact on continuity or who's returning from the dead or whatever, but for the final revelation of the story's title: "Let There Be Lightning"

Way cool!

I just had to drop by and say hi before tomorrow, as I fear my head may explode. All Star Superman, Final Crisis and Batman on the same day. I'll review them if I survive, if not, been nice knowing you all :)

yell0w_lantern

I'm indifferent about Barry's return at this point. All I can say is that I hope they do him justice in this new Crisis.

Silver Shocker

I'll say off the bat that I'm a younger, more recent DC reader so I'm mucho biased, but I'm not that keen on Barry returning because I'm worried it'll put the kibosh on Wally's time in the spotlight. And this is after Wally's temporary hiatus in Infinite Crisis to boot, not to mention the guy only just recently showed up in JLA again (albeit a IMO fantastic spotlight issue). Consider how poor Kyle Raynor was shoved into a corner once Hal Jordan became GL again and you can see where I'm coming from.

Since the comics didn't come out in US but did in Canada I'll review/summerize some non-Xbooks for anyone who's interested.

Young Avenger Presents #5

[spoiler]Summery: Patriot, Kate Bishop and Wiccan are called over to see Cassie who's in an emotional state because she almost killed her stepfather during a battle against the Growing Man. Because she gets along very badly with her stepfather, particularly because he's no fan of her father the late Ant-Man 2, she feels guilty even though it was an accident. Patriot gives her a pep talk based on something Bucky told him and she ends up reconciling with her family and asks them to meet her teammates. [/spoiler]

I found this issue to probably be the weakest issue of the whole set so far, which is ironic because Stature is probably my favourite member of the team. The writer, who is the guy who does NW, does a rather clumsy job here. One particulary dumb narration has Stature being surprised that a villain called the Growing Man can grow. This seems especially farfetched when one considers that Stature has been portraid in the past as something of a superhero fangirl with a pretty good knowledge of the who's who of the Marvel U. In addition to that, there's a bit about her not being able to control ants that completely ignores the fact that both Hank Pym and Scott Lang used thier helmets to control ants, something Cassie didn't have access to. The art was ok, but a little sketchy. The biggest problem art wise is that Stature is shown wearing the wrong costume.

I'd give this issue maybe a 4 or 5. I'm hoping Matt Fraction and Alan Davis do a better job next issue when ol' Clint Barton meets Kate Bishop.

Teen Titans #59

[spoiler]Summery: The new Clock King wants to sell the powered Titans to a club called the Dark Side Club, which specializes in superpowered cage matches. He's captured Miss Martian and Kid Devil but the boss will only pay for a full set so he goes after the rest along with his Terror Titans. Robin solves a puzzle left behind by the CK that leads him to his lair, where they get into a fight with the Terror Titans. The Titans pretty much get thier butts handed to them, particularly Robin, who finds out that due to some time-related abilities the Clock King can dodge and counter every move Robin throws at him with complete ease. Robin gets brutally beaten and it looks like the Titans are going to get captured. [/spoiler]

Sean McKeever's run's been kinda hit or miss with me, mainly because he apes a lot of the ideas and stories Johns already did in the his story before him, but regardless I loved this issue. The Terror Titans, as cheesy and lame as they may be, came off as a serious threat, and though I've never heard of the Dark Side Club, the banner on the issue's cover (which seems to imply some kinda tie-in) and numourous Apoklypse referances have me intriqued. Blue Beetle was great in this issue; I loved his bit about calling CK "Rolex Chronoberg", and the Clock King went from lame (a lot like the Batman TAS version of the villain) to hardcore. The art was also really great, though my one complaint was the artist seemed to take every possible opportunity to do a cheesecake shot with Miss Martian. It didn't really bug me that much but kinda stood out a bit.

This was easily the best book I read this week and I give it a solid 8 out of 10. I'm actually kinda stoked for the next issue.

New Warriors #12: All you need to know is they still havn't beat D-list villain Machinesmith, Nighthrasher is a heartless jerk, and this book really sucks right now.

Jakew

The whole "Dark Side" thing originated from Grant Morrison's "Seven Soliders of Victory: Mr Miracle" run  :spoiler:

... basically the New Gods are reincarnated on Earth. I guess it's officially in continuity now.

bredon7777

I'm surprised there hasn't been a lot of freaking out

[spoiler]
about J'onn!  They killed the Martian Manhunter!

Or DID they?

[/spoiler]

bat1987

Quote from: bredon7777 on May 29, 2008, 08:27:13 PM

[spoiler]

Or DID they?

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
It`s one of the things I hate about the crisis events, they kill off characters just for the shock.[/spoiler]

zuludelta

I think the relative "silence" of the fan community with regards to all the "shocking" events of Final Crisis is due to event burnout (and the rising cost of fuel)... people just aren't buying these comics in the same numbers as they did the previous "event" titles. I was talking to the guy who runs my LCS and he says he's selling much much fewer copies of Final Crisis #1 than he did with Infinite Crisis #1 and Countdown #1 (he's selling about a quarter of IC's numbers and about half of Countdown's). I wouldn't be surprised if he's seeing the same decrease with Marvel's "Secret Invasion" books compared to Civil War and World War Hulk.

zuludelta

The Immortal Iron Fist: The Seven Capital Cities of Heaven TPB
Published by: Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction
Art by: David Aja/various fill-in artists/Howard Chaykin (Iron Fist Annual #1)

note: collects Immortal Iron Fist #'s 8-14 and Immortal Iron Fist Annual #1

This TPB collects the second-part of Brubaker/Fraction's re-introductory Iron Fist storyline. Danny Rand has returned to the mystical city of K'un L'un to participate in a martial arts tournament pitting the "Immortal Weapons" of the various Heavenly Cities against each other for the cities' right to exist on the earthly plane for an extended period of time. The Hydra/Heroes for Hire sub-plot also continues in the background, and both threads eventually intertwine in the arc's finale.

There's a lot to like here. The martial arts tournament, pseudo-Asian mysticism, and the frequent flashbacks to the pre-war Iron Fist gives the story a very "pulp" feel, which is very refreshing in these days of "me too" superheroics. Particularly interesting are the Immortal Weapons that Brubaker/Fraction introduced in passing in the previous story-arc. The hilarious Fat Cobra ("Bring me my wenches of waiting!") and the creepy lace-and-leather clad Bride of Nine Spiders ("Je je je je je") look like they have the potential to become fan favourites. Dog Brother #1 also looks like he might have "sleeper hit" potential (makes me wonder if the character's name was a nod to the Dog Brothers Martial Arts school).

Of course, the biggest and most pleasant surprise (for me, at least), was the revelation that one of the Immortal Weapons, the Prince of Orphans is actually John Aman (a.k.a. "The Green Mist" and "The Amazing Man"). Aman was one of the earliest superheroes, published in the 1930s by Centaur Publishing, and he's been a public domain character for quite some time now (I think "orphan," in his case, is Brubaker/Fraction's way of referring to him as a public domain character). Neat little "easter egg" for fans of Golden Age comics or those who are into the history of comics.

As for the bad... the art really suffers here. David Aja's stuff looks great for the most part and I don't have any problems with the different artists being used for the flashback sequences (I think it adds a great visual dimension) but the use of fill-in artists in the later issues of the arc really hurts the look... I'm particularly not fond of Kano and Javier Pulido's stuff... they've done better work before and elsewhere... their stuff on display here definitely looks rushed and horrifyingly amateurish. And that rushed quality is heightened when compared side-by-side with Aja's superior work.             

I would have given this a 5 out of 5, but the fill-in art just detracts so much from my enjoyment.

My Rating: 4 out of 5       

Logan #3
Published by: Marvel Comics (Marvel Knights imprint)
Written by: Brian K. Vaughan
Art by: Eduardo Risso

Well, my worst fears regarding this mini-series have been realized. Instead of what could have been an insightful, atypical Wolverine story, we're treated to yet another run-of-the-mill tale of Marvel's premier mutant.

So much potential given the book's premise, ruined with by-the-numbers plotting and some horrendous dialogue... a writer of Vaughan's caliber should know better than to use horribly stilted double entendres (I groaned out loud when I read the "I want you to come with me" line in the bathtub scene).

Even Risso's typically good art couldn't save this stinker. My advice to people who haven't read this mini is to just stick to the first issue. Having the story end on that note is way better than the actual 2 issues that followed it.

I want my money back.

My Rating: 1.5 out of 5       

DrMike2000

I survived, so lets do the review, in the order in which I read them...

All Star Superman #11
We're back to a "hm, nice. OK" issue of arse after the last one. Solaris is back, and sort of floats around in the sky ranting like a dalek whilst Superman and some of his robots beat him up. Not really that inspiring or surprising. The red sun ploy, and Superman's suit, were nice. Lex's niece and her own little side-takeover the world paln is all cool. The whole thing is, of course, beautifully rendered, but it just left me wanting more rather than wanting to pore over this one in great detail.

Final Crisis #1
OK, this one will knock my socks off, I thought...
Its not bad. 32 pages instead of the usual 23, but about 9 pages are kind of wasted with meticuolously rendered image sof cavemen hitting each other and discovering fire thanks to Metron. I know, I know... Cavemen are cool because Jack Kirby wrote about them, but it failed to float my boat. We then get a kind of slow wind up to events as they will play out - the cop discovering Darkseid and the missing children he seeks, Green Lanterns John and Hal investigating a deicide, and a monitor falling into the mortal world as they experience being part of the story for the first time.
Oh, and my favourite bit, the interaction between Mirror Master and Doctor Light, acting like a couple of degenerate buddies as they discuss drugs and dating :)
J'onn's demise had far less impact on me than it would if he wasnt wearing that stupid new costume. Honestly, the guy has been walking the Earth in his underpants and chest harness for forty years, and you know what? It looked cool! Suddenly developing Martian inhibitions and covering himself up right to his chin is not cool, and not fitting for an unselfconscious shapeshifter form another world. Stab him again, Fashion Police!
So, its full of nice touches, and very full of promise for what comes next, but a kind of slow ignition rather than a massive blastoff. Compare this with JLA Classified #1 which launched Seven Soldiers, and youll see what I mean.
The art is good, but suffers in many places from awkward-photswipe-itis, eg the picture of John Stewart in flight.

Batman RIP part 2
I was starting to panic a little. Two down and my head hadn't blown off yet at all, perhaps Batman, with my lowest expectations could save the day?
For starters, I absolutely love the Club Of Villains. Especially since I've realised that they nearly all get a mention in the Club of Heroes two-parter that JH Williams drew. "A disfigured deep sea diver called King Kraken", "Charlie Caligula", "the assassin Scorpiana", "El Sombrero" who kind of makes an appearance, in that Mayhew is disguised as him. And "Pierrot la Lune", a French mime villain. Genius! These are the counterparts to the International Batmen!
This leaves the violent hunchback Le Bossu and the Ned Kelly lookalike, an obvious counterpart to the Aussie Ranger dude with the jetpack and plasma gun in the Club of Heroes.
Most of the comic is taken up with a conversation between Bruce and his new girlfriend Jezebel Jet, who basically is trying to talk him out of being Batman. eventually, Bruce succumbs to a post-hypnotic trigger from way back, and Alfred get assaulted by le Bossu, looking like an angry little hobbit with his wooden club, as the Club of Villains close in. She raises the interesting idea that Bruce is behind the Black Glove in a kind of split persoanlity way, a theory thats been floated around Millarworld.
Talk about slow build ups, this has waited nearly two years to kick off. May I remind everyone at this point that Talia, Damien and Merlyn are on their way, having realised that Batman may be in trouble?
Lovely artwork too, and its standing up well next to JG Jones and Quitely even.
Yep, this was a particularly good issue of Batman, and saved the day.

daglob

Quote from: bat1987 on May 30, 2008, 04:35:36 AM
Quote from: bredon7777 on May 29, 2008, 08:27:13 PM

[spoiler]

Or DID they?

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
It`s one of the things I hate about the crisis events, they kill off characters just for the shock.[/spoiler]

Hey! Maybe they killed off the goofball who has been running around in that awful suit from the JLA movie, and the REAL MM will show up by the end of the series.

Well, we can dream...

yell0w_lantern

I thought FC #1 was waaaay too slow. As far as MM being dead let me just say this: Bucky and Barry Allen.

bat1987

Quote from: yell0w_lantern on May 31, 2008, 09:36:15 AM
As far as MM being dead let me just say this: Bucky and Barry Allen.

And unfortunately Jason Todd!

Midnite

Quote from: DrMike2000 on May 31, 2008, 08:09:27 AM
May I remind everyone at this point that Talia, Damien and Merlyn are on their way, having realised that Batman may be in trouble?

Does Merlyn know Bruce Wayne is Batman? If so, when did he find out?

bat1987

Quote from: Midnite on June 01, 2008, 08:02:31 AM
Quote from: DrMike2000 on May 31, 2008, 08:09:27 AM
May I remind everyone at this point that Talia, Damien and Merlyn are on their way, having realised that Batman may be in trouble?

Does Merlyn know Bruce Wayne is Batman? If so, when did he find out?

Well he knows that Batman is Damian`s father (as seen in Batman 675), so he probably knows that Bruce is Batman.

Silver Shocker

I am McLovin'  (sorry, couldn't resist) Morrison's Batman right now. I do agree that the art is quite nice (I've been a Tony Daniel fan since his Teen Titans run while back), but the thing I really like is how much of this run is connected in that it all gets brought up later on. I read many of the issues recently by buying them during a sale, which is actually how I started reading this run, so a lot of the run is fresh in my mind. Didn't realized the Club of Villains were all mentioned in that storyline, good find! The thing I really like about Morrison (not that I should be surprised, this being Grant Morrison, mind you) is how deep and psychologial everything is. There's plenty of subtext that the younger readers and the laymen probably won't understand (heck, I'm not sure I follow it all) and I find it makes for a much more interesting Batman story. I'm not sure how I feel about some of the implications in the story such as Bats having this identity crisis thing, but I'm willing to ride it out and see where it goes.

As for FC,[spoiler] I looked through it in the shop and didn't realize J'onn was supposed to be dead. That makes me a bit unhappy, I like J'onn a lot and I've missed him being in the JLA for a long time, I also hate this post IC costume. But anybody notice this is the second Crisis in a row where he's been captured by the villains? Or is it third, I never read the original one. [/spoiler]

thanoson

Secret Invasion: Black Panther is awesome. Not gonna spoil anything but will give a brief rundown. A fleet of Skrulls head towards Wakanda in search of Vibranium. They're greeted by the heads of thier infiltrators on stakes. Wakanda is waiting for them. It's a pretty awesome fight.

Secret Invasion: Mrs. Marvel. Umm.... did Carol gain back her power level as Binary? Cause she's Uber powerful here. Good fast paced issue.

Previsionary

this thread still exists?!  :o :blink:

Anyway, Carol had her binary powers restored twice in the recent years, but it's always been temporary. I'm just glad they finally decided to show her as a strong girl because she's been an emotional rollercoaster that's been batted around for a few years now. It got old. :P

detourne_me

HULK #4
Red Hulk fight Green Hulk.
dm don't know why or how banner escape puny prison to turn green
dm confused, but art pretty
big bald head man get hit hard by red hulk, dm laugh.
hulk bite red hulk gun, dm laugh more

thanoson

Wolverine: Old Man Logan. Anybody else reading this? I missed the 1st episode but the 2nd one was pretty good. It's basically the Dark Knight Returns with Logan. 50 years in the future, after the great fight where the heroes lost and were killed. Logan was beaten so bad he was forced to watch as Thor, Captain America and Iron Man were killed in the 1st hour. He was broken and vowed never to pop the claws again. He was living in my town, Sacramento, with his family. That is, until the Hulk Gang shows up. Old Hakeye shows up and wants Logan to drive with him for a bit. It's kinda a cool storyline and wondered what everyone else thought.

BentonGrey

I've just been reading a revival of a British pulp series called Dan Dare.  I never read the original series, but from what I've read so far (the first 3 issues) this revival is great sci-fi fun and drama.  We've got a daring, confidant, and unflagging hero, a galactic threat, and insurmountable odds.  Everything you need for a great run.

|