• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Podmark's skins (Game Over)

Started by Podmark, February 17, 2007, 01:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

UnkoMan

Yeah, sorry. I forget little shadows like that too. You just stop noticing them when you're working on the bigger picture.

NeoDarke

Nice skins. :)

Though, to be honest... When I read the title, my mind went "He's a Cleric?" :P

I blame NWN2.

Podmark

Well in a way he is kinda like a cleric :D I'm just trying to be clever with my titles lately.

murs47

I just checked out your site..... and quite frankly you just fulfilled a fan boy's dreams with those New X-Men skins, Hellion looks superb!
Any plans to do a X-23 or any other of the New X-Men?

Podmark

Actually I've done the entire first set of costumes for the New X-Men, plus the Hellions and New Mutants, and handfuls of the other students. Some are available in my yahoo group, but the others were on the GPL site that went down, so I'll have to put them back up on my new site.

I'll try to get them up in the next few days if I have time.

Podmark

Due to popular demand Pod skins again!

Famine IV and Death VI
aka
Sunfire and Gambit

I'm really surprised theres a demand for Black Gambit. It wasn't a very popular story, heck I didn't even like it. However I had other reasons to skin these two, more sinister reasons...

murs47

:thumbup:
Sunfire looks good, but Gambit....."Holy Cowbell's Batman!"
All the details with the straps and such, that's a really nice skin

and what are these sinister reasons you have for skinning them?

Manfred

Man oh man,

You guys skinning do such great work, and I have so much downloading to do!
I can already see I'm gonna have to get a bigger hard drive for all the great work
I've found through FreedomReborn.

Pod, Nimrod and Mystique both look amazing, and your latest work is on par.  Keep
up the awesome work  :thumbup:

Podmark

Quote from: murs47 on May 31, 2007, 07:40:02 AM
All the details with the straps and such, that's a really nice skin

You have no idea how frustrating it was to skin Gambit, those little bits drove me nuts.

Quote from: murs47 on May 31, 2007, 07:40:02 AM
and what are these sinister reasons you have for skinning them?

The Pwime

black gambit looks awesome, though his hair seems a bit off.  i think it's the lack of bangs, but aside from that, these are two very nifty skins.  ^_^

AfghanAnt

I agree about the hair but i really would use some different hair, i've always thought that hair was dreadlocks not long hair.

Podmark

Ok well the consensus seems to be that Gambit needs new hair. I'll look into that.

Yeah AA I usually think of it as dreadlocks too, but I do like the front few bangs, it gives it a kind of slack/sharp look. Originally I was going to combine two pieces of hair, the gni one and a more traditional longhair. Then I got lazy because Gambit was starting to annoy me with all the little details.

BatWing

i notice that sunfire looks like hes wearin tights cause it does match ya know cause his upper body its lighter color

but i'm just a amature ^_^

Podmark

If you're talking about the cut at the waist, I noticed that when I made the preview pic, not sure how I missed it during production. Might've been that the glow made it more noticeable. Either way I'll fix that up before release.

Also a quick commentary on these two looks:
Sunfire - as many of you hopefully know this design was adapted from the Age of Apocalypse design. It's an excellent design, honestly I think it was one of the best things about AoA. I also think it fits well with Shiro's new role as a villain.

Gambit - I didn't actually read Blood of Apocalypse, but everything I've read about it was terrible, and Gambit's role was possibly the worse part. I actually dislike this costume, though it amuses me somewhat as to me it's the visual representation of the whole story. Now you'll probably ask why did you skin him Pod? Well the answer is a simple as looking at the Ramos cover of X-Men 200 X-Men 200. But Pod, you ask, Gambit isn't Death in that pic. True, but since That Gambit costume had already been done I thought it would be more enjoyable to skin something that hadn't been done and was related to the current events. And now you know the rest of the story.

You also might have an idea of things to come...

...though not next. Next I'll probably do this

Figure Fan

The Pwime

Quote from: Podmark on May 31, 2007, 09:43:16 PM
Ok well the consensus seems to be that Gambit needs new hair. I'll look into that.

Yeah AA I usually think of it as dreadlocks too, but I do like the front few bangs, it gives it a kind of slack/sharp look. Originally I was going to combine two pieces of hair, the gni one and a more traditional longhair. Then I got lazy because Gambit was starting to annoy me with all the little details.

if you find suitable long hair for gambit, let me know: the most recent version of my avatar also needs long hair, and is currently using the same dreads as your Gambit is.

frostjacket

I'm thoroughly amazed at the level of detail of both of your skins, as I was actually rereading that story arc to prepare for X-Men #200 and despite minimally enjoying the story (it really was barely decent), I noticed the ridiculous level of detail with gambit's straps and the black tribal-esque marks on sunfire. Simply amazing, man. Looking forward to their release and a possible Gazer (newest War)?

Podmark

Thanks, yeah I didn't realize it was so detailed when I started skinning it.

There's an off-chance I might do Gazer, but it won't be in the near future. I've got a short-list of characters in front of him. There's little Chance I'll do Pestilence (Polaris) but you never know, I might decide to finish off the set.

The reason I did Sunfire and Gambit was because of the upcoming Marauders story. I'm all X-cited for X-Men 200!

Podmark

I've re-released my first two Rockslide skins. There are no changes to either so if you got them in the past there's no reason to download them now. This reason is a pre-cursor to my next skin preview, coming soon.

Podmark

New Preview:

On the left side Reverend Stryker. Holy man. Leader. Mutant Hater. Child killer.
On the Right side Santo Vaccarro aka Rockslide. Student. New X-Man. Idiot. And probably the funniest X-character this side of Deadpool.

Stryker was a character I just had to do, taking him and some armed soldiers into the danger room against the New X-Men has been a dream of mine since the Childhood's End arc.

Rockslide has become one of my favorite characters since M-Day. He used to look like the Thing, now he's got his own cool new look. He's a idiot for sure, but I find his comments and actics to be hilarious. He adds a needed touch of humour in what is a very hardcore and action-packed book.

I'd really like some critiques on both these skins. I'm including some pics of Rockslide for comparison. I tried to do my best with the skope but there's only so much I could do with the parts I could think of.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Rockslide.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/podmark/Rockslide.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y246/podmark/RockslideNew.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/dracine/NewX.jpg

As for Stryker I'd love to create a version with Nimrod's hand, like this pic:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Stryker2.PNG
If anyone knows how I can add a male heavy forearm on the suit mesh let me know.

My next skins will probably be a pair of astonishing characters...

Lunarman

Oh wow. I love Rocky! What mesh did you use btw?

About Stryker, the cowl ( think, I mean the purple and yellow thing) although it's got highlights looks pretty flat. Thing is, it will be hard to really change I think. It doesn't help that it's a mirrored mesh but maybe those dangly bits just need some creases.

Also, his cross looks a little flat. It's hard to see from the picture but did you highlight it? Perhaps just a little more bevel or something like that.

All in in, very nice work

murs47

Rockslide is a great character, he is quite funny. New X-Men has been really great after HoM ended and that arc with Stryker was one of the best I've read. If anyone hasn't read it, try it out. Back to the skins..... great mesh for rock, the rock texture is also really well done, you nailed him as well as you could without an actual rockslide mesh. Outstanding! that's all I can say.

Alphanaut

Hey pod, is the yellow and purple thing on Stryker skinned directly on? Because you could skope the scarf off of pulp_versatile and scale it to fit the mesh.

Tomato

Hmmm... short of asking someone who knows how to mesh to make a character specific mesh for Rockslide, I think that's as far as you can go. I would see if you could find a piece that would make the brow stick out to the sides a bit more, and darken the spheres on his mouth to match the rest of the skin. Sorry, but right now they look like bizarely shaped drool or something, rather then rock.

detourne_me

Rockslide looks great!   i'm a little surprised that you hadn't grabbed anything off the Doomsday mesh to help him out with the rockyness.   as for the brows... if you take a look at Tommy's Lizard mesh there are seperate brows that you could possibly widen a bit!
wow you did such a great job with his belt and pants too.   i really like how rockslide isn't a complete thing rip off anymore.

as for Stryker!  thats awesome!   can't wait to pummel him.   you may want to add Hellboys hand of doom,  from either texas jack's mesh or jik's,  i believe both are seperate mesh pieces so it would be easy to skope in.

hope the tips help.
can't wait for more x-men goodness!
please tell me youre making Armor!

lugaru

sweeten2213

They look great, Pod.  Stryker is a cool character - pretty cool that you skinned him.  One question though - I'm assuming they haven't been released yet, because the rockslide on your site is the old one (and I don't see Stryker).  Of course no hurry - just wanted to make you aware in case something got screwed up.

Podmark

I want a multi-quote option :(

Quote from: Lunarman on June 07, 2007, 12:22:41 AM
Oh wow. I love Rocky! What mesh did you use btw?

It's a composite skope starting with a base of Thing_effects, then pieces for the thv, Doomsday, and Iron Man mk 21.

Quote from: Lunarman on June 07, 2007, 12:22:41 AM
About Stryker, the cowl ( think, I mean the purple and yellow thing) although it's got highlights looks pretty flat. Thing is, it will be hard to really change I think. It doesn't help that it's a mirrored mesh but maybe those dangly bits just need some creases.

Also, his cross looks a little flat. It's hard to see from the picture but did you highlight it? Perhaps just a little more bevel or something like that.

All in in, very nice work

You're right they both look a little flat, I'll see what I can do about that.

Quote from: Alphanaut on June 07, 2007, 12:22:41 AM
Hey pod, is the yellow and purple thing on Stryker skinned directly on? Because you could skope the scarf off of pulp_versatile and scale it to fit the mesh.

Great tip I'll take a look and see if I can get that to work.

Quote from: Tomato on June 07, 2007, 12:22:41 AM
I would see if you could find a piece that would make the brow stick out to the sides a bit more, and darken the spheres on his mouth to match the rest of the skin. Sorry, but right now they look like bizarely shaped drool or something, rather then rock.

The mouth parts were surprisingly tough to skin for some reason. I'll try to fix them up.

Quote from: detourne_me on June 07, 2007, 12:22:41 AM
Rockslide looks great!   i'm a little surprised that you hadn't grabbed anything off the Doomsday mesh to help him out with the rockyness.   as for the brows... if you take a look at Tommy's Lizard mesh there are seperate brows that you could possibly widen a bit!
wow you did such a great job with his belt and pants too.   i really like how rockslide isn't a complete thing rip off anymore.

I'm using the Doomsday pieces on the forearms, they're just not visible from the angle in the pic. I'll post another pic later so you can see them.
I'll take a look at that lizard brow, I honestly couldn't think of any meshes where the brows were separate pieces.

as for Stryker!  thats awesome!   can't wait to pummel him.   you may want to add Hellboys hand of doom,  from either texas jack's mesh or jik's,  i believe both are seperate mesh pieces so it would be easy to skope in.

See this is why I love the community. I really hope I can get that hand to work. Stryker will make a much better Danger Room opponent with the hand of Nimrod on him.

please tell me youre making Armor!

I'm making Armour :D

Quote from: sweeten2213 on June 07, 2007, 12:22:41 AM
They look great, Pod.  Stryker is a cool character - pretty cool that you skinned him.  One question though - I'm assuming they haven't been released yet, because the rockslide on your site is the old one (and I don't see Stryker).  Of course no hurry - just wanted to make you aware in case something got screwed up.

Not yet, still in preview stage so I can tweak stuff. Might be up next week depending on how quickly I can fix things up. Still have to fix up Gambit and Sunfire as well.

Podmark

One last thing...

Quote from: murs47 on June 07, 2007, 12:45:03 AM
Back to the skins..... great mesh for rock, the rock texture is also really well done, you nailed him as well as you could without an actual rockslide mesh. Outstanding! that's all I can say.

I didn't create the rock texture. I found it online, I think it was on Strangefate's website.

Monkeyman

You could use texas jack's hellboy arm for the reverend.

|