• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Man-Thing

Started by Panther_Gunn, March 02, 2007, 08:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Panther_Gunn

So, has anybody actually picked this thing up?  (besides me, that is)

I know we were a bit disappointed that it made it's "screen debut" on Sci-Fi rather than the theaters, but after watching the disc, it definitely *wan't* made for Sci-Fi.  With a gratuitous bit of nudity before the opening title, and the amount of gore & language, it was at the very least geared towards a direct-to-video release, if not an actual theatrical.

The story focuses more on the human characters, primarily the new sherrif in town. The Man-Thing is only seen a few times, but the effects for him were at least decent (*way* better than the first Swamp Thing movie.....but it would be hard to be *worse* than that!).  The feeling of the flick was more of a typical B-movie splatter/horror/monster movie than typical comic book movie, but that may have been the best way to bring this character to the screen.  I found it watchable, and at least feel no shame to have it a part of my collection (something the first Punisher and Elektra will *never* be a part of).

One thing that seemed to be missing, character-wise, was the corrosive effect of his touch.  I'm not sure if this was a conscious omission, feeling that it would be just fine to have a strong plant monster tear people apart, or if they just didn't get a full run-down on the character.

detourne_me

i enjoyed it for its b movie quality,  and yeah the opening was a bit misleading  (i was like..Watch out Troma, marvels coming to town!)
i still had a good couple laughs from it thouh :0

The Hitman

Yeah, I agree... very Troma- esque.

I've seen it. For not knowing abything about the character, I thought it was fairly entertaining. Not great, but not too bad. I work in a video store, and whenever someone asks about "Comic Book" movies (which is about every 10- 12 days, it seems like), I always suggest this one. I've gotten every responce from "Why didn't this come out in theaters?" to "Why did you suggest this steaming pile of [bad word]?!"

Pyroclasm

Quote from: The Hitman on March 03, 2007, 10:40:49 AM
"Why did you suggest this steaming pile of [bad word]?!"
Hey!  Did you rent that to me?  Those were my exact words!