• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Aliens

Started by GogglesPizanno, May 17, 2007, 07:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GogglesPizanno

I am a huge fan of the alien series (part 4 notwithstanding) and I came across these two nuggets:

Operation Aliens - What looks to be a never aired Saturday morning-esque aliens cartoon. I would love to know if anyone has ever heard of this or seen anything about it. It looks like they had a whole barrage of toys/games lined up to go with it.
http://www.alienscollection.com/operationaliens.html

Aliens War Games - This is the website of an animation house that produced a short little spec animation of an aliens series designed in the vein of Clone Wars. They are shopping the idea around. I am really not that impressed. I like the idea of it, but the execution left me a bit cold -- though it is a spec thing and probably not indicative of the final output, the character design felt too cartoon-y.
http://www.bluefieldscreative.com/ (go to the "work section" to watch the video)

Doctor TOC

Even though the "Operation: Aliens" series never made it to production, quite a few of the licensed items made it to the shelves, including a whole horde of action figures (including re-releases of many of the earlier Kenner Aliens action figures), the board game, the school supplies, etc. A lot of them showed up in stores in Europe, and several items turned up years later in the KB Toys exclusive "Hive Wars" series.

The best Aliens "product" I ever saw was the "Alien War" experience in London, a variant on the old-fashioned halloween spook-house, where the participants were walked through an very authentic interactive environment as potential investors visiting an off-world Weyland Yutani facility, complete with a squad of space Marine guards. Something goes wrong at the facility, the lights go out, smoke and klaxons go on, and aliens start coming out of the walls (sometimes literally). The whole experience was terrifying, made even more so by the fact that occasionally the aliens would grab some of the people who'd come in with you and drag them off screaming (ringers, sure, but when there are guns going off, emergency lights strobing, lots of people yelling and nightmarish shapes rising out of the darkness in front of you, it's hard not to get sucked in).

Best money I've ever spent, though the attraction is now sadly no longer open.

UnfluffyBunny

I remember the operations: alien from many years ago, I actually had some of the toys

(incidentilly I agree about part 4.... i'm still trying to deduce why the alien queen gave birth to skeletor...)

GogglesPizanno

QuoteEven though the "Operation: Aliens" series never made it to production, quite a few of the licensed items made it to the shelves
I remember the first gen of the Kenner toys, but nothing after that. Must not have been paying attention.
What I'd love to see is the "pilot" of the cartoon. It looks from the screengrabs like something incredibly bad.

QuoteThe best Aliens "product" I ever saw was the "Alien War" experience in London
Oh Man that sounds awesome.
I woulda loved to have seen that.

I had totally forgotten about this till a friend brought it up. If you are a fan of Aliens or Robot Chicken, its worth the download.
http://www.probotproductions.com/alien5squared.html