• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Have You Noticed...?

Started by darkphoenixII, February 16, 2007, 06:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkphoenixII

Dunno whether this has been a topic of discussion before, but did anyone else notice the very close similarities of Alchemiss and Jean Grey? Yes, their personalities are pretty different. And they do share obvious things in common, such as both being red-heads, Alchemiss' Repulsion & Aloft powers are like Jean's telekinetic abilities, and vast potential . But what of their stories? Let's compare:

- Both were forced to tap into more of their powers than they had ever gone.
- Both had become corrupted by the vast amount of power they'd achieved
- Their villanious personas were more in synch with one another (but then I guess insanity could do that with a lot of tragic heroes)
- Both of them had pretty wild/untamed hair in their ultra-powered states.
- Both, in their moments of regained control, sacrificed themselves for the sake of the universe.

All fall under the "Phoenix/Dark Phoenix Saga", but here's what REALLY strikes my interest; at the end of :ffvstr:, Alchemiss encounters a being who reveals itself as Energy-X itself (shocking, wasn't it?). I think that it's safe to assume that, like the Phoenix Force, Energy-X is a being of limitless power. When Alchemiss erased herself from existence, she didn't recieve utter oblivion, but found herself in an unknown place (a la White Hot Room?) in front of Energy-X, possibly because it wants to make a...proposition to our dear Catherine. If this is indeed the case, the possible outcomes could have to do with 'embodiment of this' and 'ressurection that'.

Anyone else notice something I might have missed? Comments? Counterpoints?

stumpy

At one point there was a thread on the similarities of the FF characters to various Marvel and DC heroes, but I think it was before FFvT3R came out.

There is also the visual similarity that their new versions had a "wings" in one form or another.

I don't recall that Jean Grey had the whole "woman spurned" part of her story.

I don't recall if Jean Grey became Phoenix by stealing the power of a cosmic entity as Alchemiss did with Time Master. If I remember, Jean's power was within her before, but unused.

darkphoenixII

Quote from: stumpy on February 17, 2007, 05:14:37 AM
At one point there was a thread on the similarities of the FF characters to various Marvel and DC heroes, but I think it was before FFvT3R came out.

There is also the visual similarity that their new versions had a "wings" in one form or another.

I don't recall that Jean Grey had the whole "woman spurned" part of her story.

I don't recall if Jean Grey became Phoenix by stealing the power of a cosmic entity as Alchemiss did with Time Master. If I remember, Jean's power was within her before, but unused.

1) I kind of figured the "woman spurned" thing goes with that 'different personalities' bit? Aahhh, that's minor.
2a) Yeah, Catherine stole Timemaster's power, but she did have more potential than she was letting on/knew of. Maybe the power-stealing acted as a catalyst of some sort?
2b) Jean wouldn't have become Phoenix if the Phoenix Force hadn't bestowed its power to Jean, even if she is the closest thing to a physical form it has. You're right, Jean didn't steal any powers, but the Phoenix Force wasn't exactly within her.
3) Jean Grey, while piloting a space shuttle through a solar storm, was approached by the Phoenix Force offering to save everyone. Alchemiss was approached by Energy-X, granted under completely different circumstances and means, but the way it talks to her...not as much what it says as its tone of sheer immpression and almost...admiration... Get my drift?
4) There was a thread, eh? I don't suppose someone imported ideas from it in FF's Wikipedia page? Or was it coincidence?

Revenant

Interesting... I had thought Alchemiss resembled Rogue.  Southern belle with a forbidden love (she loved Man-Bot but could never touch him, like Rogue and Gambit)

But she does have that Dark Phoenix "hero-turned megavillain who takes on her former teammates in battle" aspect.

darkphoenixII

Alchemiss and Rogue...you know, the accent is an obvious, but the forbidden touch...I never caught that one. Nice thinking, Revenant.