• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Making Darkforce FX

Started by apfarmakis, April 28, 2007, 04:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apfarmakis

Is there any way to colour or hex an FX (beam, shield, etc.) to black?

Revenant

Yes there is a tutorial on FxForce on how exactly to do this.. it's pretty easy, you change a few values for each nif in the FX.  You'll need a hex editor (I have used XVI and NasHex.. i don't know if NifSkope can be used for this job)

http://www.fxforce.com/Tutorials.html

apfarmakis

Xenolith

I just popped open nifskope and yes, you can do it.  It looks like you can edit the shape of fx, too, so perhaps those active defense bubbles could be active defense squares, or pyramids if you like.  Might take some experimenting to figure it out.

apfarmakis

How would you do it with Nifskope? I tried hexing the subterrestrial earthquake cone from FFvTTR to accept black to no avail.

apfarmakis

Revenant

Quote from: apfarmakis on April 29, 2007, 01:52:02 AM
How would you do it with Nifskope? I tried hexing the subterrestrial earthquake cone from FFvTTR to accept black to no avail.

Hmm.. If nifSkope doesn't work, u might wanna try it with NasHex or XVI.  They break the nif file down into hexadecimal code which you can edit manually.

Quote from: Xenolith on April 28, 2007, 09:33:53 PM
...It looks like you can edit the shape of fx, too, so perhaps those active defense bubbles could be active defense squares, or pyramids if you like.  Might take some experimenting to figure it out.

Thats what I want to do with Osira, a Wondy villain.. she creates pyradmid-shaped force fields and energy constructs... maybe sometime soon I'll get to it.

Xenolith, how did you do that with NifSkope?  I suspect it has something to do with the alphas or maybe materials ?

Urthman

I don't know much about FFvTR FX, but in FF1 you can use nifskope or a hex editor to change the textures that FX use.  You can replace a beam or shield's textures with a plain black texture (or maybe re-color an existing one to black with dark blue highlights).

Personally, I think taking an existing shield bubble and replacing all the textures with black ones makes a cool darkforce shield.