• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

The DCUG Back on Track!

Started by BentonGrey, February 19, 2007, 02:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

The Hitman

Trelau- Don't know the exact date, but it was definately early 2001 (March, maybe).

Trelau

thanks! hum...this mean i should already have them somewhere...i'll start digging

edit: found it! those are pretty awesome team...

BentonGrey

Just a quick update, issues one through three of "Mystery in Space" have been finished, which leaves plenty more, but I am making progress!  I hope my choice of subject for this campaign will be a pleasant surprise! :D  This third mission took a while since I had to make a lot of modifications to the map to capture the setting, but I'm hoping that the others will move more quickly now.

:EDIT: Issue 4 is now done as well!  This is the smoothest mission I've ever made.  I didn't have a single problem with it! *Knocks on wood*  Anyway, I've got roughly four more to go.  After that...I've got to do some base sceens, a little touch up here and there...but not too terribly much more.

BentonGrey

Yay!  Mission 5 of "Mystery in Space" is done!  Three more to go!

Previsionary

Oh, is it? It only took 22 years, Benton. Will we see missions 6-8 before my 50th birthday? Yeah, I'm hardcore challenging you! :P

*ahem*

Good job, buddy.

BentonGrey

Well, maybe by your 51st birthday........but I don't want to nail myself down to any hard and fast deadlines.......

Previsionary

thank you. That's very considerate. I just wish Aquaman was as considerate with his eyesore of a costume. BURN! I went there. :P

Im done teasin'. ^^

BentonGrey

Hey, at least he's not a grown man in a green speedo and elf ears........

BentonGrey

Hey to everyone following the DCUG, I'm still working on mission 6, but I was hoping that those concerned with my work might head to the Polls section and give me some feedback on what else you might be interested in.  Thanks!

:EDIT: Update, mission 6 is finished! :D  Two more to go!

Cyber Burn

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 15, 2008, 09:24:37 AM
Hey to everyone following the DCUG, I'm still working on mission 6, but I was hoping that those concerned with my work might head to the Polls section and give me some feedback on what else you might be interested in.  Thanks!

:EDIT: Update, mission 6 is finished! :D  Two more to go!

That's really cool, looking forward to the finished results.

BentonGrey

BentonGrey

Ooookey doke.  Mystery in Space #7 is finished, which leaves one more full mission, and a bunch of base screens.  Expect to see some posts by me in the script section, as base screens don't like me much.  That's why I've put off making them.  Anyway, I'm not just writing this to update those who care, I've actually got a request that I hope someone might help me with.  I have some concerns about the AI in the DCUG.  I've run most of the roster through the AI generator, (and that has improved their performance tenfold) it tends to create strategies that I don't like in characters like Superman and his ilk.  Instead of brawling like you would expect from the big blue, the AI keeps him in the air, using heatvision or superbreath, and generally flitting around wasting time instead of dealing out real damage.  I understand that characters like him obviously need custom AI (the same with shapeshifters, who tend to keep their first shapes), but I don't really have the time to do this myself.  I was wondering if anyone might be willing to adjust the AI for a few of my characters.  I've been looking into it, and it seems to be a fairly straightforward process.  I can provide the AI files that the generator...err...generated, and if someone would be willing to make some minor editing to encourage Superman, Black Adam, Wonder Woman, etc., to keep to the ground and duke it out, and to encourage Giganta to grow when she is facing tough enemies, that would make the final version DCUG a lot more complete.

I'm going to append a to-do list to this thread, partially so that anyone interested can get a decent idea about how close I am to finishing and release, but mostly because if I don't put it somewhere I'll forget it.  I keep forgetting elements of the project, only to rediscover that they aren't done.  It is, in all honesty, too big for me.  I'm quite amazed that I have managed to get it this far.

TO DO:

• Finish final "Mystery in Space" Mission
  • Test Mystery in Space all the way through
  • Do Base scenes for MiS
  • Fix Base scenes for MiS
  • Edit final mission for Batman
  • Do Base scenes for missions 4 and 7 for Batman
  • Edit Base scene for JLA mission 5
  • Test Batman all the way through
  • Test JLA all the way through
  • Test Base scenes in JLA
  • Get skins for Ray Palmer, Carter Hall, and Barry Allen
  • Fix AI for brawlers/shapshifters
  • Set up comic covers for JLA
  • Set up comic covers for Batman (May not have time)
  • Set up comic covers for MiS (May not have time)
  • Collect comic portraits for the other half of the roster (May not have time)
  • Get voices for Blue Beetle, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, etc. (Probably won't have time)

Completion....96%?

If I come across anything else that needs doing, I'll add it.

BentonGrey

I just wanted to let anyone know who was following that I am really busy at the moment and won't be able to do much work on the DCUG until the end of the semester.  I'm in super duper crunch time for the next three weeks, with three major papers and an application hanging over my head.  I've really got too much to do, so I've got to spend every waking moment on this stuff rather than my project.  Hopefully after I finish these papers I'll be able to finish the project.  I'd like to see it released before we leave for Christmas break, but that might not be an option.  Any way, just a heads up.  I still need help with the AI if anyone is interested.

Cyber Burn

Best of luck with the end of semester struggles. I just finished up, and I'm feeling much more relaxed. I'm glad to see the DCUG still going.

BentonGrey

Thanks Cyber!  Well, it has become increasingly apparent that I'm not going to have the time I hoped for in order to finish and release the DCUG before Christmas.  I've been working on my papers nonstop, and I still don't think I'll be able to finish them even one day before they are due, meaning that the last one will probably be finished the day before we leave for Christmas vacation.  That being said, I am setting a hard release date.  For anyone who cares, the DCUG WILL be released on January 10th.  I still could use help with the AI issues but whether I get it or not, I'm releasing.

:EDIT: Ohh, and I've finished a bit more stuff...instead of working on my papers. :P

Epimethee

(É. notices that BG didn't say the January 10th of which year.)  :ph34r:

Looking forward to playing your mod, BG. Good end of semester. :)

yell0w_lantern

Time is almost up, Benton; GnR's Chinese Democracy is out. Duke Nukem Forever can't be far behind...

BentonGrey

LOL, you caught me E!  Thanks for the interest, I hope that you'll enjoy it...after all, you and M25 pretty much walked me through the creation. :D  YL, I will beat them, I swear I will!

|