• Welcome to Freedom Reborn Archive.

Incredible Hulk

Started by Xorn, May 10, 2007, 10:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Previsionary

well, the good news is, the director has gone on record as saying he's only planning on making ONE cut of the dvd so, there's that. But I really doubt he'll be able to keep his word on that. :P

JeyNyce

Just came back from watching the movie and all I got to say is that they did it right this time.  This is the way the HULK should have been done.  They also gave a lot of props to the TV show, and hinted about the Avengers.  Not as good as Iron Man, but WAY better than the first HULK movie. :thumbup:

BlueBard

Saw it!

Lots of little surprises.  The one that gave me an "Oh!" moment:

[spoiler]When I realized who Stearns was, before the lab accident.[/spoiler]

The only complaint I might have would be some of the camera work gets blurry... but then it would just about have to be for some of those scenes.

The story is really good (what there is of it) and the acting is fine.  The suspense and action ratio stays really high throughout the movie, and there are even little funny bits here and there.

Good one-liner: [spoiler]Betty Ross:  "Not even a little bit excited?"[/spoiler]

I give it a Green Thumbs Up.  You might say, "Hulk Smash!"

GogglesPizanno

Ive always felt that the hulk was a pretty one note character...
And the few instances that Ive read that seemed to break out of that will never be made into a film (Intelligent grey hulk as Vegas Enforcer)...

So while the movie is pretty one dimensional and simplistic, its done in a way that works for the Hulk character, and as a result its big, loud, and pretty entertaining (Even the overly CGI looking characters I got used to eventually). The story is thread bare and the characterizations are pretty non existent, but Edward Norton is good as Banner and he and Liv Tyler have good chemistry. The weakest part I think was General Ross who just pretty much stands around barking orders... which is fine, but if your whole character is there to chew scenery, I woulda liked to see a bit more gusto... CHEW the scenery.

All in all I think it worked really well for what it was, It's no Iron man, but its way more satisfying in its simplistic storytelling than Indiana Jones was.

GrizzlyBearTalon

Saw it! Love it! Smash Smash!

Raptor

Just got back from a double-header of Hulk and Iron Man and my adrenaline is pumping too much to sleep, so I thought I'd post my comments. 

This version of Hulk is MUCH better than the previous movie.  I liked the original ok, but like many here, I thought the ending was a huge letdown.  Not so here.  I liked this from start to finish.  Great mix of action, drama and humor.  I especially appreciated all the little extras they threw in for the geeks.  There was one in particular that I saw that it seemed most people in the audience missed...

[spoiler]The kid at the college who used his cell phone to record the firefight between the soldiers and Hulk, during the TV news story later, he is identified as a reporter for the student paper named McGee. (I missed his first name, but when I heard McGee, my ears perked up)[/spoiler]

Also, I agree with others here who say that this movie was not quite as good as Iron Man, but its still a great movie to see.  Its definitely one I will be adding to my growing Superhero Movie collection.  I would say that this movie compares to Iron Man like Spidey 2 did to Spidey 1 (at least for me).

The Hitman

Just got back from seeing it...

[spoiler]
First thing I have to say is, it is very much based off the TV series. The entire opening credits, the music, all of the "fan service," Lou Ferigno, all taken, in part or in whole, from the show. Which, in this case, is not a bad thing, but it is a thin wire to walk upon. Remember, Joel Schumacher made his Batman films as an homage to the TV series, and we all know how that turned out.

I liked the bit with Dr. Sterns. Nice tie- in for the second movie (if it's made). Leonard Samson was practically non- existent. General Ross was very one- sided. His best scene is at the end when he's drinking. It's the only time he shows any kind of facial emotion (does that sound right? It's late, and I can't think of the right word).

The CGI was better than Ang Lee's, but during the fight scene at the end, I lost track of which behemoth was which for a few seconds, due to the lighting. I also caught myself thinking "How did Killer Croc end up in this movie" once or twice.

Ed Norton and Liv Tyler had some chemistry on screen. Not much, but enough to make it believable.

I'm really unhappy about the "Avengers Spoiler Tie- In" segment at the end of the film. It seemed rushed and out of place. Firstly, it should have been after the credits, but that's just a personal choice. Next, it should have been Nick Fury showing up, also in my opinion. And lastly, they should have gone to Banner's shack. Why would they ask the guy who would least likely bring Hulk in, let alone convince him to join a superteam, to... y'know, bring the Hulk in and ask him to be on a superteam?! Makes no sense to me.

Overall, I liked the film. It had some very good moments, and if given a chance to see it again, maybe as a drive- in double feature, I'd see it again. I'd give it a solid 7/10 (9 being Iron Man and 1 being Batman & Robin... 10 is unattainable.)

[Oh, and I liked Stan Lee's cameo. Comedic gold!]
[/spoiler]

Raptor, while I was typing this, you posted, and yes, I liked the "geek newspaper student" bit!

Raptor

Hitman,

[spoiler]
I actually get why Stark went to Gen. Ross instead of going straight to Banner.  Stark is going to be the public face of the Avengers (besides Captain America, that is) and he has a working relationship with the military.  He needs Gen. Ross to back off of Banner so he can recruit him, so you tell the General to back off and help you find him.  Makes sense to me anyway. [/spoiler]

MJB

Too jazzed to type out a long response. I friggin loved this movie. I've been a huge fan of ol' green jeans since the original TV show. This movie seemed to have been made just for me.

I picked up all the little nods to the show and the comics (at least I think I did). I giggled like a school girl when Hulk started smashing and I wanted to cheer after Banner's final scene.

Go see this!

-MJB

Raptor

We should try to list all the tie-ins.  There were just so many.  I'll let someone else start it and give folks here a chance to see the movie.  Don't want to ruin anything for anyone (I know you guys can't resist clicking the "show spoiler" in a post even when you don't want to).

BWPS

This movie was so good. I think people are smarter and better at saying stuff than me, so I'll let them say it. But my GOD was that awesome.

Ares_God_of_War

I got back and I was pretty impressed. The way the movie played out I am actually kind of glad that special cameo scene got deleted. I guess I will have to see that scene to really reserve judgement but from what I heard of it and where it takes place it doesnt sound like it would have fit unless the scene was rather lengthy.

Abomination isnt as bad as I thought he would be. I still would have rather had ear ridges or horns or something.

Norton was good and gave me a nostolgic Bill Bixby feeling. Live Tyler wasnt bad either as Ross. that one to me is close to a lateral trade off. Hurt was o.k. but I think Sam Elliot would have done it better and I do wish they would have asked him.

Overall it was a good movie. Better than the first and over some of the other ones. Not quite as good as spider-man 1 or Ironman but this one gives me some hope of a future for this franchise.

bredon7777

Saw it with Proto today. Liked it very much, didn't love it. It's not an out of the park home run like Iron Man but it's easily a solid triple, and a worthy addition to the new Marvel studios line.

The good:
HULK SMASH! Finally!  The action was well done, and while there were a LOT more action scenes, they were never allowed to distract from the actual story.
The Acting. I expected a lot from Edward Norton, Tim Roth and William Hurt, and was not disappointed.
The Avengers set up scene, though I too would've preferred it to be after the credits.
Loved  (most of)the nods to the TV show (Especially the playing with the "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry" line) as well as the running "Days without Incident" thing
Set the story up well to be continued in another installment without feeling unfinished

The bad:
70 minutes cut!?!  I mean, yes, ok, no way in <bleep> are you going to be able to sell a 3 hr 10 min movie, I get that, I do.  But you could've gone 2.5 hours no problem.  I cant say for sure till I see it, I suppose, but I got the distinct impression that this was one of the rare cases when leaving the footage IN would've improved the movie; far too often movies leave in stuff that shouldve been cut out.
Liv Tyler- Ok, maybe I'm biased, because I've loved Jennifer Connely since Labyrinth but Liv was just..not bad, exactly, just kinda weak..and bland.
I was also somewhat dissapointed in Tim Blake Nelson- he was hyperactive and over the top.  Again, not BAD per se, just..not how I would've done it. 
Some of the CGI footage could've benefited from one final pass.  Less cartoony then the 03 movie, but still there.
While the actor for Doc Samson wasn't Roger Bart as I originally thought, he still simply doesnt work for me as even a pre-transformation Samson. They would have to do substantial work to make a post transformation one believable.
That was a hell of a lot of work to set up Stan's cameo.  I would've just [spoiler] Made him the owner of Stanley's pizza place [/spoiler]

The nitpicky
[spoiler]
I understand the nods to the TV show, but the gear shown in the origin sequence was 30 years old.  As a geek, I found this INCREDIBLY distracting. I was sitting there thinking: "WTH? Was that a TAPE DRIVE? Nobody has used a TAPE DRIVE for 20+ years! How the freaking long has he been on the run for?"  And later, when it was revealed it was 5 years, I almost burst out laughing.
The Helicopter scene has a couple of bad points
a) It's quite frankly, an insanely stupid decision by someone who, up till then had been an incredibly smart man. As was pointed out by Betty (and when the characters comment on how stupid the decision is, all it does is serve to highlight it)  He'd just been given an antidote so he didn't even know if he would change. It would've been a far smarter decision to set the thing down and have him trigger himself after they were in the air again.  I understand that it's far more dramatic to have him do it by falling from the copter, but they did it in a way that undercuts the character. If that was the effect they were going for, the whole sequence in the copter couldve and shouldve been rewritten.
b) Not that the fall was believable- we saw him hit the street as Banner. Sorry, but a fall from the height the chopper appeared to be at would have reduced a human being to POWDER. Not only that, what was left of Banner would've bounced, not gone through the street.  The Hulk would've gone through the street, but that wasn't what they showed.  Could've been directed better to make the fall and the results less contradictory.
[/spoiler]

Last, but not least, I'd like to make a point I hope Marvel studios gets drilled into their heads:

Jon Favreau and Robert Downey Jr are both Iron Man fans and produced a great film.

Louis Lassiter and Edward Norton are both Hulk fans and produced a very good film.

Sam Raimi is a spider-man fan and produced 2 good films (and one film ruined by fan insistence on Venom)

Brian Singer is an Xmen fan and produced 2 very good films.

Brett Ratner is NOT an Xmen fan and produced a mediocre film that killed your franchise stone dead.

Get it yet, Marvel?  Find the FANS of your work and (provided they have some talent) give them what they want *coughquitstiffingJonFavreauforIronManIIcough* and you, quite literally cannot go wrong.

Take that to the bank, true Believers!  Excelsior!

Final Grade: A-

Summer movie ranking (so far)
Iron Man: A+
Prince Caspian: A
Incredible Hulk: A-
Indiana Jones; B

MJB

Quote from: bredon7777 on June 14, 2008, 08:37:57 PM
Brett Ratner is NOT an Xmen fan and produced a mediocre film that killed your franchise stone dead.

Slight thread-jack here...

Contrary to popular belief the Ratner X sequel was the highest grossing of them all.

X1 = $296 million

X2 = $407 million

X3 = $459 million

Quote from: WikipediaIt is the first X-Men movie to surpass $200 million outside the United States.

Thread-jack over.

Go see Hulk. Message over.

-MJB

bredon7777

Quote from: MJB on June 15, 2008, 01:06:06 AM

Contrary to popular belief the Ratner X sequel was the highest grossing of them all.

X1 = $296 million

X2 = $407 million

X3 = $459 million

Quote from: WikipediaIt is the first X-Men movie to surpass $200 million outside the United States.

Thread-jack over.

-MJB

Money earned is in no way indicative of quality. And as there's been no serious talk of an X4, my statement stands.

I do agree that they should go see Hulk, though.

JeyNyce

My favorite line:

Banner: Don't make me.....Hungry, You wouldn't like me when I'm Hungry.  :D

About the Avengers tie in:
[spoiler]I don't think they are going to recruit the Hulk, I think they are going after him.  Didn't one point the Avenger went after the Hulk? [/spoiler]

bredon7777

[spoiler]
Technically, they went after an illusion of the Hulk that was being cast by Loki, I believe. [/spoiler]

Previsionary

Quote from: bredon7777 on June 15, 2008, 06:26:25 AM
Quote from: MJB on June 15, 2008, 01:06:06 AM

X1 = $296 million

X2 = $407 million

X3 = $459 million

Thread-jack over.

-MJB

Money earned is in no way indicative of quality. And as there's been no serious talk of an X4, my statement stands.

I do agree that they should go see Hulk, though.

That wasn't the point he was trying to make. X4 isn't in the works most likely because several of the actors are off doing other things including two X-spinoffs (IE: franchise films). Quality isn't always what determines a sequel otherwise we wouldn't be getting so many crap sequels in the upcoming years: http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/13412/30_upcoming_movie_sequels_you_didnt_know_about.html?redux

I'd be shocked if you can call half of the list quality, but they did make some money for the most part

BTB, from what I've seen around, there's still a few more X-men movies being planned/pitched, so we'll see how that goes. [ending threadjack in 3...2...1]

AncientSpirit

Quote from: bredon7777 on June 15, 2008, 06:40:06 AM
[spoiler]
Technically, they went after an illusion of the Hulk that was being cast by Loki, I believe. [/spoiler]

The way I remember it, the Loki illusion is the reason they go after the Hulk ... but it IS the Hulk they go after.

:spoiler:

:spoiler:

Anyway, saw the movie ... and it was nearly perfect IHMO.   Loved the nods to Bill Bixby.   Didn't love the cameo by Lou.  Loved the use of Lou as the voice of the Hulk, hope that continues.   Loved Liv.  Up until now I thought that there was something a little odd with her look, here she just looked absolutely beautiful.   Didn't like the CGI at the beginning of the movie, thought it looked too fake ... but by the end of the movie it had completely captured me and thought it was brilliant.  Wondered though with all that CGI if they could ever have the classic Hulk vs. Thing fight.   Norton was perfect for the role.  Loved his don't make me angry line.  Didn't like the nod to Frank McGee.   Disagree with the comment that they took too much time to set up the Stan Lee appearance.  That was done to set up what happens to Sterns.   Loved all the Cap tie-ins.  Thought they worked well because my daughter and her husband got all the references and they're not the comic geek I am.  But I am looking forward to the DVD to see what came out.

If you haven't seen this movie yet ... why are you reading this .... go... watch... come back ... read.

Figure Fan

Absolutely loved the Hulk. I spent a great deal of time with my jaw agape at some of FX work. That scene in the mountains had me CONVINCED. I'm sorry, but he looked REAL.

Great story, too. To me, it seemed like it was paced perfectly, and it seemed a lot longer than it was. I'm excited to see the deleted scenes. I hope this movie does well, because it deserves it.

Need I say how cool the fight scenes were?

Go see this movie. You will enjoy it. A lot.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Just an update.

This movie was expected by many of the so-called experts to be a major flop, mostly because of the reputation of the previous Hulk movie.

It has, however, done rather well.  Not nearly in the area of the big-grossing superhero films, but still a good opening weekend.  The reviews have also been, on the whole, favorable.  A lot better than the first one, at least.  The audience has absolutely loved it.

Personally, I think this movie will pick up steam as it goes along.  A lot of people are probably hesitant because of this earlier movie.  Many probably assume it's a sequel anyways.  Once buzz gets around at how entertaining it is, more folks will go and see it.

At any rate, it has beaten expectations--and the current competition--and should easily make a profit and pave the way for more Hulk.

herodad1

i saw hulk and really liked it.my question is who's going to be cap.somewhere i read that what they cut out of the movie is where banner goes to the frozen north to kill himself and runs into captain america.they plan on putting it back into the dvd.am i wrong or right about this?

catwhowalksbyhimself

They said it would be included in the special features, along with the other 70 minutes they took out.

cmdrkoenig67

Wait...

[spoiler]Wouldn't the only way he'd meet Cap in the frozen north is if he stumbles upon Cap's frozen body?  Maybe that's why they said the scene would be disturbing to folks...Banner having a heart-wrenching breakdown in the presence of a frozen (and believed dead) war hero?  I can't think of any other reason Cap would hanging out in the arctic, for a suicidal Banner to just bump into him.[/spoiler]

Dana

BWPS

Quote from: cmdrkoenig67 on June 15, 2008, 08:08:32 PM
Wait...

[spoiler]Wouldn't the only way he'd meet Cap in the frozen north is if he stumbles upon Cap's frozen body?  Maybe that's why they said the scene would be disturbing to folks...Banner having a heart-wrenching breakdown in the presence of a frozen (and believed dead) war hero?  I can't think of any other reason Cap would hanging out in the arctic, for a suicidal Banner to just bump into him.[/spoiler]

Dana

Since I've yet to read anything about CA being cast, I'm guessing that HULK just sees him in the ice, possibly without any clear face recognition. I believe the scene is in the novelization. From what I read in a deleted scene spoiler, I think based on the novelization, the beginning scene wasn't too clear on CA's role in the arctic.

Jakew

I'd read somewhere that what the director meant by "meeting Captain America" was seeing the Super-Soldier serum being injected into Blonsky.

catwhowalksbyhimself

No, it was very clear that they meant actually meeting the actual Captain America.

JeyNyce

Update on the movie:
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jb68x_tOGx8QHjI0Cr6C-Vy79OGgD91B4RU80

And to clear up the issue with Cap, Banner was going to kill himself in the arctic, but the hulk spits out the bullet and while the hulk leaves he runs into Cap who will be frozen in the ice. 

ow_tiobe_sb

As an early Father's Day treat, my wife :wub: took me to see this film on opening day (Friday).  We both enjoyed it, and I am not afraid to say that
[spoiler]I nearly teared up when I heard the score's rendition of that haunting piano melody that played at the end of each episode of the television series.  It truly was a film targeting fans of the television series with its numerous allusions, but I am certain that the film still enjoys a broad appeal to audiences lacking knowledge of those allusions.  If I had to criticise The Incredible Hulk, I would say that Penn's treatment of Gen. Ross was far too monolithic and, by comparison, Ang Lee's/Sam Elliott's rendition of the same character in 2003 was far more satisfying in its breadth of emotional and motivational complexity.  Only at the end of The Incredible Hulk do we begin to see the possibility of some ambivalence in Gen. Ross toward Banner/The Hulk, and at that point I found myself too wrapped up in that exhausting final battle to pay a compassionate "Thunderbolt" much mind.  'Tis a shame, for I have enjoyed Hurt in his various roles, and his acting ability seemed unfairly limited by this film.

I found the chemistry between Tyler and Norton fairly effective at addressing the pathos of their characters' tortured relationship.  Whereas Lee used openness between Bana and Connelly and some version of the psychoanalytic "talking cure" to great effect in 2003, Penn exercised a disciplined subtlety, reticence, and moments between Bruce and Betty that silently recognised the seeming impossibility of their relationship.  I'm glad that Penn did not quietly sideline Tyler, as many comic book/action films are wont to do with their female leads.  Her performance made me chuckle (appropriately) at various moments, including the scene on the street in New York following her departure from the cab of death: "You, zip it!" :)  I did, however, take exception to the way Penn's Betty seemed prepared to kick Doc Sampson (a safe bet compared to Bruce, as far as partners go) to the curb as soon as she caught a glimpse of Bruce at Stanley's pizzeria.  I hope that the deleted scenes paint a more emotionally complex picture of Betty with respect to Bruce's sudden return.

Penn's version of Emil Blonsky struck me as simply a means to an end, namely, a device for setting up a superpowered slugfest near the culmination of the film (which, of course, the film needed to be more successful than Ang Lee's Hulk).  This underdeveloped characterisation of Blonsky (which boils down to his simplistic mantra, "I'm a fighter.") was in no way ameliorated by the performance by Tim Roth, who has made quite a reputation for himself in rather one-dimensional, ultra-violent roles.  To me, the only other minor upshot to this scenario was the opportunity to introduce the Super Soldier programme into the ever-expanding Marvel Universe equation.  Of course, by cutting Captain America's appearance from the film, the opportunity to capitalise further on this development was lost ('Twould have been interesting to have Banner/The Hulk encounter both extremes of the Super Soldier spectrum, Cap and Blonsky.).  I would have liked to have heard more about and from this character, but, then again, I am not certain that Roth would have been the appropriate vehicle to deliver such a character.

I was pleasantly surprised by Norton's performance, given that I have never been a huge fan.  He certainly was well cast as the wiry, resourceful Banner, and I thought that he convincingly portrayed the gamut of emotional states that the unfortunate scientist is subject to.  Tim Blake Nelson, on the other hand, was simply goofy and poorly cast, IMHO.  Luckily, if we should encounter Leader in subsequent sequels, the character will require enough make-up to make recasting this role a distinct possibility without causing cast continuity buffs much grief.

I'll agree with most that The Incredible Hulk is not on par with Iron Man.  Of course, the former had a great deal more baggage to deal with (the television series, Ang Lee's unpopular rendition, this film's reboot, etc.) than did the latter, and I am certain that that baggage coloured my experience (both positively and negatively).  If I had to close my eyes to 2003 and imagine that The Incredible Hulk was the debut of this character in the new wave of comic book films, I would definitely rank it higher than, say, 2000's X-Men, which was competent but not great--and I would place it miles above Daredevil, Elektra, and both Fantastic Four films.[/spoiler]

Everyone should definitely see this enjoyable film this summer.  Once is sufficient (whereas I still find myself tempted to view Iron Man a second time).

ow_tiobe_sb
Phantom Bunburyist and Fop o' th' Morning

|